Snow/Wang Must Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wedregast

Mar 26, 2009
while i am not trying to undervalue the impact that wang has on snow and the team, lets refrain from asking questions in which couldnt be answered.....if you will go that route, i will ask you.....would torrey have sat idly and used his 4 mm on regin and bouchard, when we have strome and nelson ready, instead of using that 4mm to either acquire or sign a top 4 dman? or goalie for that matter...

We don't know if Strome is ready-hasn't played 1 sec in the NHL yet. Nelson looks good so far, but the jury is out on him until he has a good stretch of time played. Can't just pencil in prospects who haven't earned ice time, and give them it for no reason during off season. That leads to more Nino/Bailey experiments gone wrong then anything else.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
while i am not trying to undervalue the impact that wang has on snow and the team, lets refrain from asking questions in which couldnt be answered.....if you will go that route, i will ask you.....would torrey have sat idly and used his 4 mm on regin and bouchard, when we have strome and nelson ready, instead of using that 4mm to either acquire or sign a top 4 dman? or goalie for that matter...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Strome starting the year in the A, and Nelson having to sit once in a while. That's rookie life.
And in the same circumstances, i believe Torrey would do the same. He was a patient GM.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
The Snow-haters will just say he is stingy and cheap with contracts-and-the players were stupid to sign them, and he was just lucky picking up Moulson, PAP and Grabner nothing more. And they will blithely ignore Wang, as the puppet-master he is pulling Snow's strings-insisting a new GM will make this team much better while ignoring the facts that it won't change anything.

I think Snow given a short lease, and tight budget has done a good job. If Ratner took over as majority owner, and Snow was given more room to actually do the GM job, I think he might do well.

100% agreed - maybe not a total guarantee, but a hockey mind free to run things without meddling should be able to get the job done, and Snow's entire career is hockey & management. He's at least got the pedigree.

Hypothetically, remove Wang and open payroll enough to hire a real coach and likely the team would take off. Remove only Snow, and suddenly there's a new GM with no rapport built with an owner who loves to meddle imposing the same austere budget, along with a series of moves made for the sake of making moves - done from a position of weakness as instability fosters lowball offers.

It really isn't all that complicated how this works.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
We don't know if Strome is ready-hasn't played 1 sec in the NHL yet. Nelson looks good so far, but the jury is out on him until he has a good stretch of time played. Can't just pencil in prospects who haven't earned ice time, and give them it for no reason during off season. That leads to more Nino/Bailey experiments gone wrong then anything else.

well, if you ask me......one rookie for another is still the same amount of rookies.....our defense needed a vet more than the offense......a defenseman would have put some of the names mentioned in a bit in the AHL or further down into bottom pairings....

donovan (also who hasnt proven anything in the NHL) strait, who also hasnt proven anything......carkner who has proven alot (not in a good way), hickey (i like him, but jury is still out) amac (not first pairing).....do i need to elaborate?

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Strome starting the year in the A, and Nelson having to sit once in a while. That's rookie life.
And in the same circumstances, i believe Torrey would do the same. He was a patient GM.

im not saying there isnt anything wrong w him starting the A.....just saying that if we were going to spend 4mm this offeason, i would have rather spent it on a top 4 Dman and let the kids play in the top 9 forward spots

Wedregast

Mar 26, 2009
well, if you ask me......one rookie for another is still the same amount of rookies.....our defense needed a vet more than the offense......a defenseman would have put some of the names mentioned in a bit in the AHL or further down into bottom pairings....

donovan (also who hasnt proven anything in the NHL) strait, who also hasnt proven anything......carkner who has proven alot (not in a good way), hickey (i like him, but jury is still out) amac (not first pairing).....do i need to elaborate?

We all know the defense is a mess, and I agree that a vet defensemen would have helped more. Donovan and Hickey shouldn't be eating so much time, certainly not Carkner either. Hopefully this is a problem Snow has bveen trying to fix, IF Wang allows him to use the money to do so.

Islesfans1978*

Moulson now has 8 goals and 9 assists. :shakehead

Sabres finally woke up and fired HC.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
im not saying there isnt anything wrong w him starting the A.....just saying that if we were going to spend 4mm this offeason, i would have rather spent it on a top 4 Dman and let the kids play in the top 9 forward spots

I agree that D is a massive need, but take a look at the FA's available.
There were no top 4 D-Men available. Maybe a Ballard, maybe a Corvo, & maybe Hainsey.

I would rather watch Donovan, Hickey & Ness play than these 3.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
The Snow-haters will just say he is stingy and cheap with contracts-and-the players were stupid to sign them, and he was just lucky picking up Moulson, PAP and Grabner nothing more.

Moulson was picked up to play in Bridgeport. He outscored everyone in camp, and it became obvious that JT was not going to set the world on fire, so they kept him. It worked out, but all the credit goes to MM.
PAP was supposed to be Moulson part two. His plan seems to have worked out. I give this one to Garth.
Grabner was a first round pick waived by his team. More of a no brainer than looking into a crystal ball.
To clear things up, Wang is stingy and cheap with contracts.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Moulson was picked up to play in Bridgeport. He outscored everyone in camp, and it became obvious that JT was not going to set the world on fire, so they kept him. It worked out, but all the credit goes to MM.
PAP was supposed to be Moulson part two. His plan seems to have worked out. I give this one to Garth.
Grabner was a first round pick waived by his team. More of a no brainer than looking into a crystal ball.
To clear things up, Wang is stingy and cheap with contracts.

So i guess team Canada should get Moulson on the team to help JT???

And if Grabner was a no brainer, than why don't i ever hear about some other teams picking 15-20 goal scorers of waivers?

original islander

Oct 12, 2011

Actually Bill probably brought more players directly to the NHL than any other GM. Billy Harris, Denis Potvin, Clark Gillies, Dave Lewis, Mike Bossy and Bob Bourne all came directly from juniors with only Bourne being sent to the minors for a time during his second or third years. The others never spent a day in the minors and rarely if ever sat out games. In fact Harris, Gillies and Bossy immediately started their careers on the first line.

In addition Trottier, John Tonelli, Pat Lafontaine and the Sutter brothers never played in the minors. Trotts spent an additional year in juniors and the Sutter brothers spent a partial season there. The original JT, John Tonelli had a contractual agreement with the rival WHA and spent one remaining year there before coming directly to the Isles. Patty Lafontaine was on the US Olympic team.

Bill was a firm believer in bringing guys directly to the team to see what they were made of and how they handled pressure.

In fairness he had a great teaching coach in Al Arbour and there was a 20 year old draft in those days and that meant that guys like Harris, Potvin, Gillies and Lewis were physically ready.

You're 100% right in that Bill was a patient man with his team and players. He made very few trades and never ever traded a first round pick in his 20 years. The rare trades he made were ultra successful. He was the anti-Milbury.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Actually Bill probably brought more players directly to the NHL than any other GM. Billy Harris, Denis Potvin, Clark Gillies, Dave Lewis, Mike Bossy and Bob Bourne all came directly from juniors with only Bourne being sent to the minors for a time during his second or third years. The others never spent a day in the minors and rarely if ever sat out games. In fact Harris, Gillies and Bossy immediately started their careers on the first line.

In addition Trottier, John Tonelli, Pat Lafontaine and the Sutter brothers never played in the minors. Trotts spent an additional year in juniors and the Sutter brothers spent a partial season there. The original JT, John Tonelli had a contractual agreement with the rival WHA and spent one remaining year there before coming directly to the Isles. Patty Lafontaine was on the US Olympic team.

Bill was a firm believer in bringing guys directly to the team to see what they were made of and how they handled pressure.

In fairness he had a great teaching coach in Al Arbour and there was a 20 year old draft in those days and that meant that guys like Harris, Potvin, Gillies and Lewis were physically ready.

You're 100% right in that Bill was a patient man with his team and players. He made very few trades and never ever traded a first round pick in his 20 years. The rare trades he made were ultra successful. He was the anti-Milbury.

Along with what i've put in bold, there was also the issue that the AHL as a league wasn't as productive as it is now.

I mean i don't remember Bill bringing in rookies in Florida like he did with the Isles.

Different times...

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
Along with what i've put in bold, there was also the issue that the AHL as a league wasn't as productive as it is now.

I mean i don't remember Bill bringing in rookies in Florida like he did with the Isles.

Different times...

You're completely right. The 20 year old draft was a major difference. In those days you could watch Nino and Skinner play 2 more years. You could evaluate Strome and Couturier for 2 more years and physically they were 2 years older. Completely agree with you.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
You're completely right. The 20 year old draft was a major difference. In those days you could watch Nino and Skinner play 2 more years. You could evaluate Strome and Couturier for 2 more years and physically they were 2 years older. Completely agree with you.

The one thing i forgot to mention... the majority of the teams in the league at that point were expansion teams. So bringing in kids wasn't as tough as today.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Comparison between GM is not the issue here, it's ownership.

Let's look at it this way, Bowman, Shero, Lombardi & Chiarelli, the last 4 GM's to win a cup. Do you think they win one with Wang as owner?

I mean you talk about someone who gets it. :handclap:

And as far as wang goes.... :help: :shakehead

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
No GM could win a cup with Wang as owner. Something the Wang apologists don't want to admit.

If you're correct, and I believe you are, that means we will never win a Cup with wang as owner. What it also means is that every other move that's made or thread we debate on these boards doesn't mean a thing.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008

It was a 20 year old draft for everyone though. There were 21 picks before Brian Trottier (including Gillies at #4), there were 14 players selected before Bossy. Potvin was a 1st overall. Smith was a trade. Goring was a trade. Torrey had incredible success with the draft, unprecedented.

For all the "Snow's drafted well" - what does it matter if the team doesn't win? And this is coming from someone who LIKES Snow's drafting, I think Bailey was a great pick, I loved the trading down move at the time and since. I think Hamonic was a brilliant pick. But if Snow's some draft savant, why select Ness and Trivino ahead of Hamonic?

But I agree with your post and the "patience" approach. And many Isles fans on this board are flat out of patience - we want to see a better product, fast. And some thought it was NOW. This year. And it's not.

I still like the team and most of the players. This is a fun team to watch. When they are on their game, they can beat anyone. They are just so incredibly inconsistent!

So i guess team Canada should get Moulson on the team to help JT???

And if Grabner was a no brainer, than why don't i ever hear about some other teams picking 15-20 goal scorers of waivers?

You made your point and everyone agrees, Snow does some things really well:
- sign key guys to great long term contracts
- uses the waiver wire to bring in decent players (but some of those are Schremp, Tambellini, Boyes)
- has brought on some hidden gems like Parenteau and Moulson (and some of those are Rolston, Reasoner, Pandolfo, Carkner, Eaton, Sim)
- "convinced" Nabokov and Visnovsky to play for the Islanders. (some may argue he should have convinced someone else to play goal this year)

You can't simply isolate the POSITIVE moves that Snow's made, ignoring the negative ones.

And you can't point to Wang because since Snow's taken over, what has Wang really influenced that we know of? Snow spends just as much money as they do in Colorado or Phoenix - yet those franchises are far better on the ice. Maybe Snow should have drafted Ryan O'Rielly instead of trading all those picks for Calvin deHaan? Maybe he should have traded Parenteau at the deadline instead of letting him walk for nothing.

Maybe Snow should not have picked up Parenteau or Moulson, rather, he should have brought Chichura, Vermette, Michalek and Mike Smith? Maybe then, the Islanders would have been as good as Phoenix.

Snow is not a successful GM because the team isn't successful. It's that simple.

To be more clear. SIMILAR teams, with similar budgets, draft choices, have been more successful, in a shorter timeframe, than the Islanders. Even teams without Tavares.

You cannot evaluate the positive in isolation, then bring up excuses. That's "apologist speak".

If you're wife was a great cook, had a hot body, but cheated on you and stole money for crack, would you say she's a good wife? You could probably do worse, no?

It's okay to expect more.

Defending Snow the way some do is simply disingenuous.

It's okay to acknowledge the good things he's done, to recognize the circumstances that may impact decisions, but to jump to "success" is just not true. I'm a Snow supporter, for the most part, but there's a way to go yet.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
If you're correct, and I believe you are, that means we will never win a Cup with wang as owner. What it also means is that every other move that's made or thread we debate on these boards doesn't mean a thing.

They won't win a Cup with Wang. Zero chance.

But i do believe he's at his endgame.

After they move to Brooklyn, he will sell. At this point, he's just trying to maximize the teams value.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
It was a 20 year old draft for everyone though. There were 21 picks before Brian Trottier (including Gillies at #4), there were 14 players selected before Bossy. Potvin was a 1st overall. Smith was a trade. Goring was a trade. Torrey had incredible success with the draft, unprecedented.

For all the "Snow's drafted well" - what does it matter if the team doesn't win? And this is coming from someone who LIKES Snow's drafting, I think Bailey was a great pick, I loved the trading down move at the time and since. I think Hamonic was a brilliant pick. But if Snow's some draft savant, why select Ness and Trivino ahead of Hamonic?

But I agree with your post and the "patience" approach. And many Isles fans on this board are flat out of patience - we want to see a better product, fast. And some thought it was NOW. This year. And it's not.

I still like the team and most of the players. This is a fun team to watch. When they are on their game, they can beat anyone. They are just so incredibly inconsistent!

- uses the waiver wire to bring in decent players (but some of those are Schremp, Tambellini, Boyes)
- has brought on some hidden gems like Parenteau and Moulson (and some of those are Rolston, Reasoner, Pandolfo, Carkner, Eaton, Sim)
- "convinced" Nabokov and Visnovsky to play for the Islanders. (some may argue he should have convinced someone else to play goal this year)

You can't simply isolate the POSITIVE moves that Snow's made, ignoring the negative ones.

And you can't point to Wang because since Snow's taken over, what has Wang really influenced that we know of? Snow spends just as much money as they do in Colorado or Phoenix - yet those franchises are far better on the ice. Maybe Snow should have drafted Ryan O'Rielly instead of trading all those picks for Calvin deHaan? Maybe he should have traded Parenteau at the deadline instead of letting him walk for nothing.

Maybe Snow should not have picked up Parenteau or Moulson, rather, he should have brought Chichura, Vermette, Michalek and Mike Smith? Maybe then, the Islanders would have been as good as Phoenix.

Snow is not a successful GM because the team isn't successful. It's that simple.

To be more clear. SIMILAR teams, with similar budgets, draft choices, have been more successful, in a shorter timeframe, than the Islanders. Even teams without Tavares.

You cannot evaluate the positive in isolation, then bring up excuses. That's "apologist speak".

If you're wife was a great cook, had a hot body, but cheated on you and stole money for crack, would you say she's a good wife? You could probably do worse, no?

It's okay to acknowledge the good things he's done, to recognize the circumstances that may impact decisions, but to jump to "success" is just not true. I'm a Snow supporter, for the most part, but there's a way to go yet.

Let's start with the first part in bold. Up until last year, this team had no future. It has no money, Wang signed D.P. (which was a huge negative!!!)...but you're right, compared to the past, Wang has laid low.
That doesn't mean he isn't the biggest factor going against this team

I'm glad you brought up Phoenix. There GM was considered one of the worst in Isles history, but look at him now. Imagine how ****ed up the Isles are when even Phoenix gave Maloney a better chance to succeed. And it's not about money, it's about culture.

Look at Lafontaine...
considered one of the nicest guys in all sport...
after a month of dealing with Wang, HE GOT THE **** OUT!!!

Your "wife" analogy is really pointless, as one is personal, and the other business.

And lastly, i'm not calling Snow a success. I'm calling him an Islander success. If he was running the Rangers, then i would be all over him about the teams record.
But this is the Isles.

There was a time when Maloney & Regier were running this team. And their records were as bad as Snow's. I guess ownership didn't have a role, and it was a matter of those 2 being bad at their job...

Last edited:

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc

wow, post of the year :handclap:.....except for the wife stealing money for crack line...didnt really get that comparison haha ;)

startainfection*

anyone that thinks snow has done a bad job hasn't been following the islanders in depth

Islesfans1978*

Do you watch the games or do you look at just stats?

I loved Moulson but Vanek is a huge upgrade.

BTW did anyone else see Moulson miss that wide open net last night? :laugh:

Yes I have been watching the games as I stated on the Vanek thread, but as far as "upgrade," the only way that applies right now is raw talent, because as of now Moulson is out working and out producing him and doing it with less.

Yes, I did see that.......but I also saw Moulson get two assists on the two goals that tied and won the game for the Sabres against the Kings ; )

Vanek 6 games, 1 goal, 2 assists for 3 points since joining the Isles.

19 games, 5 goals, 7 assists for 12 points on the season. Isles 3-5 since the trade.

Moulson 7 games, 2 goals, 6 assists for 8 points since joining the Sabres.

18 games, 8 goals, 9 assists for 17 points on the season. Sabres 2-5 since the trade.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Yes I have been watching the games as I stated on the Vanek thread, but as far as "upgrade," the only way that applies right now is raw talent, because as of now Moulson is out working and out producing him and doing it with less.

Yes, I did see that.......but I also saw Moulson get two assists on the two goals that tied and won the game for the Sabres against the Kings ; )

Vanek 6 games, 1 goal, 2 assists for 3 points since joining the Isles.

19 games, 5 goals, 7 assists for 12 points on the season. Isles 3-5 since the trade.

Moulson 7 games, 2 goals, 6 assists for 8 points since joining the Sabres.

18 games, 8 goals, 9 assists for 17 points on the season. Sabres 2-5 since the trade.

Moulson is a solid player, nobody is saying he isn't. But you can't just expect Vanek to come in and have INSTANT connection with JT. Personally I think Vanek plays a much better all around game as well as being more creative than Moulson.

That no look pass to JT against Ottawa just shows the potential these two have. All I'm trying to say is we HAVE to give them 10-15 game together.

Also do you notice how the first line isn't getting trapped in the defensive zone as much? I don't think that's a coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad