Snow/Wang Must Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Stabilized the organization, that is true. He has developed a culture of losing and has maintained it quite well.

So Smith would have automatically been bad why? Smith in one month brought in Sillinger, Witt, and Poti. They all played well and based on the sample size of 30 days Smith gave no reason to think he could possibly be worse than snow.

3 PLAYOFF WINS IN 7 YEARS. That is ****ing disgusting. Yet you blindly give Snow a free pass

He HAS stabilized the organization. He's barely touched his core, and signed them long term. Not something the Isles have done since Torrey.

I think Smith would have been bad because he would have gone for the quick fix. And without a home grown base to start with, all that gets you is some playoff appearances, but no real chance at the cup, and nothing put aside for the future. That's just my opinion.

I think some Snow haters think us defenders are happy with losing, that we don't see the obvious needs, and waiting for prospects to develop is orgasmic to us.

But what i think the haters don't understand is the Isles are the biggest laughing stock in the NHL, and it's been like this for about 15 years before Snow took over. So this idea that someone is going to turn this franchise around like it's a normal franchise, and will be done in a normal time frame is NEVER going to happen under Wang.

Firing Snow won't change a thing. So i say keep him, at least he's got a plan, and he's been able to tame the wild Charles lately.

Last edited:

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
He HAS stabilized the organization. He's barely touched his core, and signed them long term. Not something the Isles have done since Torrey.

I think Smith would have been bad because he would have gone for the quick fix. And without a home grown base to start with, all that gets you is some playoff appearances, but no real chance at the cup, and nothing put aside for the future. That's just my opinion.

I think some Snow haters think us defenders are happy with losing, that we don't see the obvious needs, and waiting for prospects to develop is orgasmic to us.

But what i think the haters don't understand is the Isles are the biggest laughing stock in the NHL, and it's been like this for about 15 years before Snow took over. So this idea that someone is going to turn this franchise around like it's a normal franchise, and will be done in a normal time frame is NEVER going to happen under Wang.

Firing Snow won't change a thing. So i say keep him, at least he's got a plan, and he's been able to tame the wild Charles lately.

We still are.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008

Torrey had a talent pool that makes this team look like the ECHL.
I'd take Potvin, Bossy, Trottier and Smitty TODAY and they would make the Isles better. Yes, Butchie too!

Can't say what Smith would have done, pure speculation. He'd have drawn talent here though, just because of his contacts around the league and credibility, at the time, anyway.

Saying firing Snow won't change a thing is helpless/defeatist mentality. Not good. Not true. Nothing wrong with striving for improvement.

How many excuses did Phoenix have to pack it in the last few years? Check their record vs the Isles.
What about Colorado? shorter "rebuild", poorer draft position, less payroll, better record. Same for Nashville and St. Louis in the last few years, before they started to spend a bit more.

No need to apologize for Snow. He's done a few things very well, but to suggest he's a success is simply not true. Smart contracts and waiver claims are a nice-to-have, but a small part of the story, relative to the continual losses.

Stabilized the organization, that is true. He has developed a culture of losing and has maintained it quite well.

So Smith would have automatically been bad why? Smith in one month brought in Sillinger, Witt, and Poti. They all played well and based on the sample size of 30 days Smith gave no reason to think he could possibly be worse than snow.

3 PLAYOFF WINS IN 7 YEARS. That is ****ing disgusting. Yet you blindly give Snow a free pass

agree with all this logic.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
I was a big Snow supporter up until this past summer. He was good in first and second gear, but I don't think he's capable of shifting this team to fourth gear and beyond. I was expecting subtle improvements to complement our roster and we got zilch.

If this year's team finishes outside the top 10 in the conference, his head should roll. This team is supposed to take the next step, and so far we haven't seen it.

The team was underperforming, so he traded for Vanek. The team still isn't playing well, so the coach is likely next. If firing the coach doesn't work, well, the blame falls on Garth.

I guess things could be worse. Snow could be blowing up the roster ala Milbury. Garth is the complete opposite - he doesn't do enough.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
I can see eye-to-eye with the comment about Snow possibly not knowing how to take the team up to 3rd gear and higher, but I cannot disagree with the general philosophy behind the approach.

If the Vanek trade backfires and the team takes a few critical steps back, I'd advocate a total regime change before I'd even be down for the removal of just Capuano.

Basically, if Snow, Capuano and Wang were separated and Wang owned a team independently of the other two, Snow were a GM independently of Wang/Capuano and I had the chance to pick, I'd take Snow with an NHL-calibre coach and owner over Cappy with an NHL-calibre owner & GM or Wang with an NHL-caliber GM & coach. :dunno:

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Saying firing Snow won't change a thing is helpless/defeatist mentality. Not good. Not true. Nothing wrong with striving for improvement.

That perfectly sums up why firing Snow is a good thing. It would be striving for improvement. It is similar how people want better than Capuano , we should all want and demand better than Snow.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Excuses for 7 years of losing. I have said countless times Wang is terrible and cheap. That should not stop us for placing blame on Snow. Snow is largely at fault for the mess we watch on a nightly basis.

Why is Snow given a free pass but Capuano is held accountable by this board... funny isn't it. Capuano is limited by a poor GM who failed to field a roster with NHL quality defense or goaltending yet Capuano gets destroyed nightly on here while Snow gets a free pass. Snow gets the Wang excuse so why not give Capuano the Snow excuse?

Capuano is under qualified and Snow hired him, yet we blame Capuano for failing in a situation he should not be in. Sounds alot like the players on the team like Amac, Hamonic, Bailey etc.. playing roles they are under qualified for. Yet Snow is blame free on here

It's not excuses, it's fact. Wang is VERY hands on and runs the show. THAT is why the team has inferior personnel in its management. They hired a GM with no experience after firing a SC winning one that did not bow to the owner. Why does one hire someone in such an important position with little to no experience? What type of business person does that? Hmm...

To keep it going, Snow needs to hire an inferior coach as well. It's the mentality of the owner that permeates the management team.

As the NHL article stated recently, the GM that starts the rebuild (same with coach) rarely gets to be on the post when it comes to fruition. Snow has the TRUST and FAITH from Wang that he's gonna be around until Snow says I'm done.

Do people want better? Sure. Are you going to get it under Wang. Absolutely not. Things MAY change when Brooklyn comes, but only because BC will want a winner on that ice to fill the building and cover Wang's 'royalty' payments.

Talain

Mar 7, 2007
So if they're not going to fire him then they should kick him upstairs. Make him "Senior Vice President" or something like that. Have him hire a competent GM to make the actual roster moves and coach hiring decisions. If Crapuano isn't fired at the same time then it shouldn't take the new GM more than a couple of games max to see that Crapuano is incompetent and has no business behind the bench. And if things go south Snow would have someone to blame.

(Snow does in fact have a business degree, and a senior vice president position would likely be more business-oriented than hockey-oriented, and so would likely be a good fit for Snow, even better than GM).

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
So if they're not going to fire him then they should kick him upstairs. Make him "Senior Vice President" or something like that. Have him hire a competent GM to make the actual roster moves and coach hiring decisions. If Crapuano isn't fired at the same time then it shouldn't take the new GM more than a couple of games max to see that Crapuano is incompetent and has no business behind the bench. And if things go south Snow would have someone to blame.

(Snow does in fact have a business degree, and a senior vice president position would likely be more business-oriented than hockey-oriented, and so would likely be a good fit for Snow, even better than GM).

Because Wang has thinned out the management to control costs and opinions. Hiring another person costs money. Wang doesn't see the value in that. It's just another person at the table.

They have Weight as assistant coach and special advisor to the GM. How many other teams have that nonsense? Zero.

Wedregast

Mar 26, 2009

Snow is nothing more then a marionette, being played by Wang. I think if Snow could, he'd make more roster moves to better the team. He doesn't. Pushing him to another job, and picking up another GM will change nothing since neither will be making decisions... only Wang will, as he does now. If you really want change, Wang must go.

MDIsles

New Era
Oct 24, 2011
DE Beaches for now
My main wish is Ratner overtakes Chuckie as soon as the move to BK commences and then cleans HOUSE with everything Front Office! Sinoyra Chuckie, "Backup Goalie GM", and "The Crapper." I dream of this scenario a REAL ORGANIZATION!

Wedregast

Mar 26, 2009
My main wish is Ratner overtakes Chuckie as soon as the move to BK commences and then cleans HOUSE with everything Front Office! Sinoyra Chuckie, "Backup Goalie GM", and "The Crapper." I dream of this scenario a REAL ORGANIZATION!

I think this is a given. Ratner will want a full, packed house every night the Islanders play and will make sure they win games by taking a majority stake in the team and getting a new top notch GM to clean house and rebuild the organization and team.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Torrey had a talent pool that makes this team look like the ECHL.
I'd take Potvin, Bossy, Trottier and Smitty TODAY and they would make the Isles better. Yes, Butchie too!

Can't say what Smith would have done, pure speculation. He'd have drawn talent here though, just because of his contacts around the league and credibility, at the time, anyway.

How many excuses did Phoenix have to pack it in the last few years? Check their record vs the Isles.
What about Colorado? shorter "rebuild", poorer draft position, less payroll, better record. Same for Nashville and St. Louis in the last few years, before they started to spend a bit more.

No need to apologize for Snow. He's done a few things very well, but to suggest he's a success is simply not true. Smart contracts and waiver claims are a nice-to-have, but a small part of the story, relative to the continual losses.

agree with all this logic.

Firing Snow WON'T change anything.

It's amazing to me how some of you brush off the Wang factor like it's nothing. As if Snow walked into some success story and ruined it.
Does anyone remember how bad the Yankees were when Steinbrenner was hands on with the team? Things changed when he stopped meddling & gave his GM carte blanche.
And that's what turned the Yankees into a success, not a new GM.
So just like the Yanks, until Wang leaves the GM be, it won't make a difference who holds the position.

I never suggested Snow is a success in the general sense. I'm suggesting he is a success for this franchise because a) he's accomplished more than anyone has since Torrey, and b) Wang is the freakin' owner!!! To accomplish anything with that tool owning the team is a miracle.

BUT...part of the reason this team has been a massive joke has been the arena/stability issue. Now that that's settled, my bar for Snow will certainly be raised. And once Wang sells, which i believe is the plan, than it's a whole different ballgame.

Until than, the haters have to understand 2 things.
1-Snow ain't going anywhere.
2-There is no one else that would be willing to take the job, and who could do it better with Wang lurking.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
^

what success has garth had? really?!?!

He's drafted well, signed his core to long term affordable contracts, turned nothing into Moulson, PAP, & Grabner, convinced players who don't want to play on the Island to resign...

I get it, he's no Sam Pollock.
What the haters aren't getting is this ain't the Montreal Canadiens.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
He's drafted well, signed his core to long term affordable contracts, turned nothing into Moulson, PAP, & Grabner, convinced players who don't want to play on the Island to resign...

rather than judging invdividual moves, lets judge on team finishes.....save for last year, we have finished in the bottom 5 every year!

do you remember bill torrey because he made a good waiver pickup, or because he won 4 cups?

Wedregast

Mar 26, 2009

The Snow-haters will just say he is stingy and cheap with contracts-and-the players were stupid to sign them, and he was just lucky picking up Moulson, PAP and Grabner nothing more. And they will blithely ignore Wang, as the puppet-master he is pulling Snow's strings-insisting a new GM will make this team much better while ignoring the facts that it won't change anything.

I think Snow given a short lease, and tight budget has done a good job. If Ratner took over as majority owner, and Snow was given more room to actually do the GM job, I think he might do well.

Wedregast

Mar 26, 2009
rather than judging invdividual moves, lets judge on team finishes.....save for last year, we have finished in the bottom 5 every year!

do you remember bill torrey because he made a good waiver pickup, or because he won 4 cups?

Would Torrey have done a good job , with Wang keeping him on a short lease and telling him what to do regarding players, payroll, contracts and such?

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011

I remember Torrey because he turned an expansion team into one of the greatest teams in all sports, and did it in record time.

But...

1-Torrey is a once every generation type. Snow is no Torrey, and neither is Shero, or Lombardi, or Chiarelli...
2-Torrey didn't have a hands on owner. He did in Oakland, and he QUIT!!!

Comparison between GM is not the issue here, it's ownership.

Let's look at it this way, Bowman, Shero, Lombardi & Chiarelli, the last 4 GM's to win a cup. Do you think they win one with Wang as owner?

Wedregast

Mar 26, 2009
I remember Torrey because he turned an expansion team into one of the greatest teams in all sports, and did it in record time.

But...

1-Torrey is a once every generation type. Snow is no Torrey, and neither is Shero, or Lombardi, or Chiarelli...
2-Torrey didn't have a hands on owner. He did in Oakland, and he QUIT!!!

Comparison between GM is not the issue here, it's ownership.

Let's look at it this way, Bowman, Shero, Lombardi & Chiarelli, the last 4 GM's to win a cup. Do you think they win one with Wang as owner?

No GM could win a cup with Wang as owner. Something the Wang apologists don't want to admit.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
Would Torrey have done a good job , with Wang keeping him on a short lease and telling him what to do regarding players, payroll, contracts and such?

while i am not trying to undervalue the impact that wang has on snow and the team, lets refrain from asking questions in which couldnt be answered.....if you will go that route, i will ask you.....would torrey have sat idly and used his 4 mm on regin and bouchard, when we have strome and nelson ready, instead of using that 4mm to either acquire or sign a top 4 dman? or goalie for that matter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad