Pre-Game Talk: Smashville @ Avs Wednesday 7:30 MST - Shoulda picked Jones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Good god I hate looking at the standings and seeing that we hardly have a lead at all.

I used to hate looking at the standings because the avs were at the bottom. I'll take this with a smile on my face.

It's funny that there was whining and complaining about how in the East the odds are less that you make the playoffs. It turns out that the East sucks.
Not sure why, the East has been the weaker on the 2, for awhile now.

He says "Jones" to his teammate after scoring.

Loving seeing that goal. Can't get enough with Jones fishing for the puck.:D

DanglesFromDuchene

Sep 8, 2013
I'm not sure if this was brought up in the GDT of Montreal game, but did EJ make three glove saves in a row with 14 minutes left of the first period? I was watching the highlights again and noticed it

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I'm not sure if this was brought up in the GDT of Montreal game, but did EJ make three glove saves in a row with 14 minutes left of the first period? I was watching the highlights again and noticed it

It's in the save sections on the NHL.com highlights. 1st period. Giguere on Gallagher.

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
Thanks. Man just watching that highlight we're a completely different team this year. Puck movement, everything. The Habs didn't even look like they belonged on that ice with us.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm not necessarily saying this to criticize EJ, but he has spent more time flailing around on the ice in this early season than I've seen him do his whole career. Not sure what's up with that. Sometimes it works, sometimes it almost burns him, and other times he's looked pretty bad. Just seems like he's always falling to the ice as an intentional way to play defense this year for some reason.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
If Tanguay is out for a while, and with the trade of Downie, I think we'll go to a more traditional 2 scoring lines, a shutdown line, and a fourth line.

I'd go

Radar-Duchene-PAP
Landy-Stastny-MacKinnon
McGinn-Mitchell-Talbot
McLeod-Cliche-Bordeleau

@adater 1 hour ago
Avs lines and D pairs against Nashville Wednesday...

Landeskog-​Stastny-Ma​cKinnon
O'​Reilly-Duc​hene-Paren​teau
McGin​n-Mitchell​-Talbot
Mc​Leod-Clich​e-Bordelea​u

Johnson​-Hejda
Wil​son-Guenin​
Benoit-Sa​rich

Varl​amov in goal.
Scratches: Holden, Hunwick

I like it. I always felt Mackinnon should play wing, at least his first season... He's terrible at face-offs.

I'm calling it now, he's going to get a hat-trick in this game playing with Lando and Stats against a back-up goalie, skating around Popeye Jr.

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
With Mitchell on the third line I feel like we just lose most of the threat of 3rd line scoring (unless he dangles 3 people and scores). I think it means that the 3rd line will play a more traditional checking line role and the 4th will get less than 6 minutes (Cliche will get PK time so his numbers will be higher).

All that being said I don't hate Mitchell as much as some of you seem to. I wouldn't mind keeping him next year: he's just excellent in our own zone.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
All that being said I don't hate Mitchell as much as some of you seem to. I wouldn't mind keeping him next year: he's just excellent in our own zone.

I disagree and feel he benefits from the lack of defensively sound, bottom 6 players on our team with all the PK time he gets. A guy who is excellent defensively is Ryan O'Reilly. Guys who were excellent defensively as Avs were Jay McClement, Daniel Winnik, etc. Not John Mitchell. He is passable and that is it. There's a reason he is averaging more PK time now than his whole career and why Patrick eagerly made a move to bring in another top PKer in Talbot.

John Mitchell sucks.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
With Mitchell on the third line I feel like we just lose most of the threat of 3rd line scoring (unless he dangles 3 people and scores). I think it means that the 3rd line will play a more traditional checking line role and the 4th will get less than 6 minutes (Cliche will get PK time so his numbers will be higher).

It's not like the Avs have been blowing teams out with their 3 scoring lines. Aside from couple of games, they played tight close games.

They still have two lines that can score and now they have a better defensive 3rd line. Just hope no one else gets hurt.

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I disagree and feel he benefits from the lack of defensively sound, bottom 6 players on our team with all the PK time he gets. A guy who is excellent defensively is Ryan O'Reilly. Guys who were excellent defensively as Avs were Jay McClement, Daniel Winnik, etc. Not John Mitchell. He is passable and that is it. There's a reason he is averaging more PK time now than his whole career and why Patrick eagerly made a move to bring in another top PKer in Talbot.

John Mitchell sucks.

Did John Mitchell beat you really bad in foosball or something? Such rage :laugh:

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.

John Mitchell sucks.

Ok, I went too far with "excellent". :laugh:

But he's useful. Saying he sucks is too much I think.

Qurpiz

Carry me home!
Nov 5, 2006
This is gonna suck real hard.

Agreed, I'll be shocked if we lose by one

This is gonna be worse than seeing Aaron Rodgers go down on the Lambeau Field turf Monday night.

With that offense and our rebounds, I don't think this is going to end well.

I am usually optimistic but I just don't see it happening tonight if we can hold a lead against the coyotes or kings I doubt we can do it against a team that has one loss.

There's an awful lot of optimism in this thread. It's like we haven't seen ourselves play this season.

Preds get reamed. Score will probably look like an Eastern scoreline 6-0 or 7-0 or something like that. Still gonna try to watch :(

Preds fans are being pessimistic.... or realistic... :sarcasm:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
3. Here's a snippet of why the Avalanche are playing so well. With 14:37 to go in the second period of Saturday's 4-1 win over the Montreal Canadiens, Avalanche defenceman Ryan Wilson leads the rush. Watch how Ryan O'Reilly covers for him at the blue-line when Wilson is cut off. PA Parenteau sees O'Reilly chase the play, so he waits to make sure he's above the puck in case of a turnover. O'Reilly forces a quick pass, which Wilson intercepts. If he'd missed it, Parenteau was in position to cover. It all results in a Canadiens penalty. That is "playing the system," as Malhotra said.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/ho...malholtra-makes-triumphant-return-to-nhl.html

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013

John Mitchell sucks.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad