Pre-Game Talk: Smashville @ Avs Wednesday 7:30 MST - Shoulda picked Jones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Thats not the problem. The problem is the passing to an open guy to get a shot. They forget how to pass every time they are on the power play.

IMO the problem is that there is no movement. You need to have movement between the players and get the opposition moving to open the shooting lanes.

And God help us if the puck gets cleared. They have about a 13% success rate on zone entries. At this point they should put the puck on net and get a whistle, then win a draw, rather than trying to enter the zone.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
A PP is crippled when there is no real shooting threat from the points. Avs don't have that. EJ gets the occasional shot through. They don't have enough traffic to make Benoit's shots dangerous. Parenteau/Tanguay are pure puck movers.

MacKinnon at least isn't afraid to pull the trigger when he's in the Stamkos spot. Hopefully McGinn will get to play in Downie's spot and do the same. Perhaps put O'Reilly on the point. He never was afraid to shoot when he played there earlier.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
IMO the problem is that there is no movement. You need to have movement between the players and get the opposition moving to open the shooting lanes.

Movement was one of the main things Roy mentioned during training camp but like you said, way too much standing still. MacKinnon is one of the few guys who seems to move when he's out there.

I really like Benoit so far but IMO, he hasn't been good on the PP. In every area I expected him to be bad, he has been very good. In the one area I thought he would really help us, he has disappointed. Everyone needs to be better though, not just him.

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
I'd like to see them run the powerplay through Landeskog. I'm not sure it would work, but I'd be interested to see how he did.

I'd want EJ and Landy on the point. Stastny on the half boards, Duchene in the corner and ROR or McGinn in front of the net.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I have a serious problem with the Avs... I'm starting to expect them to win games. It doesn't feel natural guys. Is it a mistake on my part or do others seem to have this epidemic too?

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I'll be working at Auraria tonight and will probably be heading home on the train right as the game lets out. Will be difficult to not find out the result.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs have the fewest games played. Their PP/PK per game is 3.3/3.4 (25th in in the league in PP/game).

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
Moser tweeted that the Avs have the least number of PPs in the league at 42, the Preds second least at 43. I hadn't realized this, thought we were mid pack at least.

Edit:
Yep, it is true. http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/team/_/stat/special-teams/sort/powerPlayOpportunities

we haven't had any games where the refs really favored us...the pittburgh, winnipeg, and to a lesser extent second dallas game on the other hand skew those numbers lower.

oh yeah, and games played :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad