Equipment: SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice IV

Evergreen

Does anybody know if you can bake Bauer Vapor 8s? I bought an old barely used pair on eBay for $99 so I could relive my youth and I am thinking about giving them a spin on the ice when everything gets back to normal. These things came out around 1998-2001 or thereabouts, so I am wondering if they are pre-baking.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Does anybody know if you can bake Bauer Vapor 8s? I bought an old barely used pair on eBay for $99 so I could relive my youth and I am thinking about giving them a spin on the ice when everything gets back to normal. These things came out around 1998-2001 or thereabouts, so I am wondering if they are pre-baking.

Are these the same skates? Seems like they are heat mold-able based on the description.

https://www.hockeyworld.com/Bauer-Vapor-8-Hockey-Skates-Senior

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I just picked up a pair of Bauer Nexus 1N Pro Returns for $500 CAD. My first ever pair of new skates!

What do you guys think? Good deal?

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I just picked up a pair of Bauer Nexus 1N Pro Returns for $500 CAD. My first ever pair of new skates!

What do you guys think? Good deal?

It all depends on if they fit you properly. If they do, then thumbs up. If they don't they're really expensive paper weights.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Just bought a pair of Bauer supreme 3S. size 8 with type 1 width (the new sizing system). Felt great in the store. Snug. Big toe on my longer foot was just brushing the toecap
I have worn 7.5 supremes for the last 7 years, but the new Bauer scanner had me at an 8.

I tried on the 7.5 this time but my toe was scrunching in the toecap...actually painful when I sat back in my boot.

The guy in the shop said these days the jump to whole sizes is significant. I wish they made a 7 3/4.
I had the 8s heat molded, but it felt like that totally eliminated the snugness.

First game last night and the 8s feel way too big... foot was moving in the boot, felt like I clomping around in clown shoes. Retied them as tight as I could in the intermission and they still felt off. What the h? Feel like taking them back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
Just bought a pair of Bauer supreme 3S. size 8 with type 1 width (the new sizing system). Felt great in the store. Snug. Big toe on my longer foot was just brushing the toecap
I have worn 7.5 supremes for the last 7 years, but the new Bauer scanner had me at an 8.

I tried on the 7.5 this time but my toe was scrunching in the toecap...actually painful when I sat back in my boot.

The guy in the shop said these days the jump to whole sizes is significant. I wish they made a 7 3/4.
I had the 8s heat molded, but it felt like that totally eliminated the snugness.

First game last night and the 8s feel way too big... foot was moving in the boot, felt like I clomping around in clown shoes. Retied them as tight as I could in the intermission and they still felt off. What the h? Feel like taking them back.

Bought my son the Bauer Supreme 3S Pro a few days ago, fit 1. He's had about 10 hours of ice since and loves them. He was using a Vapor X800 for the last 5 years and he says these are far far superior in fit and comfort.

Montgomery81

Aug 6, 2015
Oklahoma City
Had my foot scanned this weekend, recommended I skate in the Bauer Supreme Fit2. Narrowed my decision down to the 3S and the 3S Pro. Any major differences between the models, other than the weight, tendon guard, etc.? Willing to spend for the Pro, but wanted to know if the price difference will be noticeable. I skate two times a week in some fairly fast games.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Had my foot scanned this weekend, recommended I skate in the Bauer Supreme Fit2. Narrowed my decision down to the 3S and the 3S Pro. Any major differences between the models, other than the weight, tendon guard, etc.? Willing to spend for the Pro, but wanted to know if the price difference will be noticeable. I skate two times a week in some fairly fast games.

The primary difference, which you may or may not notice, will be boot stiffness. 3S Pro has the Curv Composite boot with the fully composite outsole, which will be lighter and a lot stiffer then the 3S which has the Flex composite boot and thermoplastic outsole.

So I think it depends on your skating ability and perhaps even your weight. A lot of bigger guys opt for the stiffer boots afforded by the higher tiered skates because it can withstand the forces they create and make them more comfortable.

I'm more of a roller hockey guy, but i'm a pretty good skater and I can certainly feel the difference when I skate in a Flagship model skate vs an Entry-level or lower tiered skated. On the lowered tiered ones, I can feel the boot start to 'collapse' or 'give' a bit when I really lean in and cross over hard and it makes me expend a little more energy and be less efficient than in the stiffer higher-tiered skates.

TL;DR, Depends on your skating ability and weight, and if you think the jump in price can benefit you. Better skates wont' make you a better player or skater, but they might make you more comfortable and efficient.

That's my 2 cents, hope that helps.

Reactions: Montgomery81

Montgomery81

Aug 6, 2015
Oklahoma City
The primary difference, which you may or may not notice, will be boot stiffness. 3S Pro has the Curv Composite boot with the fully composite outsole, which will be lighter and a lot stiffer then the 3S which has the Flex composite boot and thermoplastic outsole.

So I think it depends on your skating ability and perhaps even your weight. A lot of bigger guys opt for the stiffer boots afforded by the higher tiered skates because it can withstand the forces they create and make them more comfortable.

I'm more of a roller hockey guy, but i'm a pretty good skater and I can certainly feel the difference when I skate in a Flagship model skate vs an Entry-level or lower tiered skated. On the lowered tiered ones, I can feel the boot start to 'collapse' or 'give' a bit when I really lean in and cross over hard and it makes me expend a little more energy and be less efficient than in the stiffer higher-tiered skates.

TL;DR, Depends on your skating ability and weight, and if you think the jump in price can benefit you. Better skates wont' make you a better player or skater, but they might make you more comfortable and efficient.

That's my 2 cents, hope that helps.

I’m a solid skater, in my mind at least, and prefer the stiffer boot. I hover around 200 pounds, lower when I cut out beer during the week. I’m leaning toward the Pro.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Anyone have any leads on pairs of Graf 709s with the mesh lining? I'm looking for a pair in 7W. I've only seen leather since Graf started making skates again.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Anyone talk about sore feet yet? The bottoms of my feet (in the arch) burn like hell when I skate, especially early in the year. Are my skates too tight, or is it the blade?

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Anyone know if the new intermediate boot size in the Ultrasonic and 3S Pro skates are actually less stiff than Senior boot? Some adults who are of decent size still do wear size 6 and 6.5 and need stiff boots.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Anyone know if the new intermediate boot size in the Ultrasonic and 3S Pro skates are actually less stiff than Senior boot? Some adults who are of decent size still do wear size 6 and 6.5 and need stiff boots.

It's the same skate made from the same materials just slightly smaller so it should be essentially the same stiffness.

Reactions: HK97

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
It's the same skate made from the same materials just slightly smaller so it should be essentially the same stiffness.

Thanks, I just find it odd that they redesignated a few sizes as "intermediate".... surely there would be a reason why. My guess maybe is that they are finding out some kids have "big" feet and get into size 6, 6.5 and want to give a cheaper price point for these still growing kids to make it less of a money burden on parents? Good for full grown adults with small feet i guess.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
4 months after purchase, I was finally able to get on the ice and try the Bauer Nexus 1N Pro Returns that I got for $500 (originally $1000)

They didn't quite fit right, but thankfully the hockey shop was kind enough to let me return them...

I ended up getting a pair of Bauer Supreme 2S for $489... regular price $700

They fit much better in the store than the Nexus did, so I think I'm really going to like them...

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Has anyone recently gone between the top end Vapor line and Supreme line skates? I know with the new fit system you can get a vapor fit in a supreme skate and vice versa. Obviously there's supposedly differences on how they would perform/feel on the ice. Has anyone tried both and actually are able to quantify what, if any, differences there are? Vapor supposedly better for quick agile players who take more strides and Supreme for long powerful strides and control. They say it's because of a bit of offset set up in the boot on the vapor etc. Are people actually feeling the difference in performance on the ice though... or is it just a bit of a marketing ploy? I'm sure there's likely a bit of difference but is it that significant at all?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Has anyone recently gone between the top end Vapor line and Supreme line skates? I know with the new fit system you can get a vapor fit in a supreme skate and vice versa. Obviously there's supposedly differences on how they would perform/feel on the ice. Has anyone tried both and actually are able to quantify what, if any, differences there are? Vapor supposedly better for quick agile players who take more strides and Supreme for long powerful strides and control. They say it's because of a bit of offset set up in the boot on the vapor etc. Are people actually feeling the difference in performance on the ice though... or is it just a bit of a marketing ploy? I'm sure there's likely a bit of difference but is it that significant at all?

It's an interesting question, I think there might be some weight to it, but I have also heard others say it's mostly bunk...so idk.

I will say this. In the Vapor boot, your foot will be a little more pitched forward or 'on your toes' compared to the Supreme boot, due to skate profiling. In the Supreme boot, your foot should sit a little more neutral or flat.

So in theory you might be able to take a bit of a longer stride in the Supreme skate while in the Vapor skate since your more on your toes, you might (operative word might) be able to cross-over and stop and start a tad bit quicker.

I don't know. When you see guys like Patrick Kane, Johnny Gaudreau, Sebastian Aho who wear them and are the face of Bauer Vapor it does make some sense. Those guys aren't the most powerful but they are definitely quick and have that skating style where they're almost always crossing over when they are skating.

Contrast to guys like Jack Eichel, Chris Kreider and Ryan McDonagh who are all very powerful skaters and frequently use that north-south long stride skating style as some of the faces of Bauer Supreme, it is interesting. I'm sure you might be able to find some counter examples on both sides though.

I think guys who have more of that distinct skating style might feel more comfortable in that particular skate (Kane in Vapor, Eichel in Supreme) but it's not gonna change the way you skate or be some huge difference like "Wow, I can't turn or stop on a dime in these Supremes" or "I feel noticably less powerful in these Vapors".

Reactions: HK97

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
It's an interesting question, I think there might be some weight to it, but I have also heard others say it's mostly bunk...so idk.

I will say this. In the Vapor boot, your foot will be a little more pitched forward or 'on your toes' compared to the Supreme boot, due to skate profiling. In the Supreme boot, your foot should sit a little more neutral or flat.

So in theory you might be able to take a bit of a longer stride in the Supreme skate while in the Vapor skate since your more on your toes, you might (operative word might) be able to cross-over and stop and start a tad bit quicker.

I don't know. When you see guys like Patrick Kane, Johnny Gaudreau, Sebastian Aho who wear them and are the face of Bauer Vapor it does make some sense. Those guys aren't the most powerful but they are definitely quick and have that skating style where they're almost always crossing over when they are skating.

Contrast to guys like Jack Eichel, Chris Kreider and Ryan McDonagh who are all very powerful skaters and frequently use that north-south long stride skating style as some of the faces of Bauer Supreme, it is interesting. I'm sure you might be able to find some counter examples on both sides though.

I think guys who have more of that distinct skating style might feel more comfortable in that particular skate (Kane in Vapor, Eichel in Supreme) but it's not gonna change the way you skate or be some huge difference like "Wow, I can't turn or stop on a dime in these Supremes" or "I feel noticably less powerful in these Vapors".

That's a good analysis of the two lines. And I agree that the differences may not be great enough to "set a player back" too much should he wish to switch lines. But skates have gotten so expensive that it's almost safer to just stick with the line you've always gone with even though your skating style is actually the other line of skates.

My buddy was trying out skates a while ago and he said the fit 2 vapor 2x pros felt different than the fit 2 ultrasonics as far as actual fit which in theory shouldn't be the case. I do wonder now if the other boot differences can make the same fit type feel/fit differently.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Anyone have experience with custom made skates from Bauer recently? Good? Bad? Meh? I only really hear good things about True but haven't heard much regarding Bauer. Or CCM for that matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00