Equipment: SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice IV

Joel Blacher

May 5, 2019
Hey all. New to this place...hope I'm doing this correctly!
Okay, background...playing for 45 years...college...adult leagues elite-level, coaching...the works. All of that led to my hips degenerating and the loss of...well...everything (other than 24/7 pain). One miracle later...two new hips as of last June, and I can do everything again...including returning to the game I love! It's unreal...I wake up every and I'm thankful. Onward...enough sappy stuff. I have been away for 10 years, and the technology is now another universe to me. Yesterday, I went to the only place in the region that has pro-level gear. The Bauer computer says I'm in a Vapor, the S2Pro felt much better out of the box. The CCM computer says Jetspeed, but the SuperTacks AS1 felt better out of the box. They also said that the Ribcor would be closest in feel to my last skates...Supreme 5000's (yeah...that long ago). Here's my question...Should those Vapor and Jetspeeds feel uncomfortably snug in the instep and forefoot UNTIL they are baked, at which time they will feel good. Conversely, will those Supremes and AS1's that feel good be too loose after baking? Thanks for bearing with the long post and my newly acquired ignorance!
Oh and...glad I went in to try them on, I measured my feet and followed all online recommendations...they put me in 8.5's. Well...in a "pro fit" w/o socks (my style), I'm actually a 7 left, and 8 right. Will go with 7.5's unless I find my mirror image out there who wants to swap one skate! ps. Not interested in Trues, and I think 7.5 feels good enough on both feet not to need custom skates.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Yeah I've heard too many stories about how those Fit Machine things don't offer the best advice, merely another opinion. You just can't beat a good fitter and your own intuition sometimes...

Sounds like you've tried on a bunch of different fits and generally know what you like and are looking for; good!

Skates generally will not feel 'too loose' after baking so you shouldn't be worried. I suggest going with what feels and fits best (provided length/width/instep depth are all OK) out of box, to which baking would only improve the comfort and break-in period for. The Supreme and Tacks families are the closest in fit profile to each other, so that makes sense!

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Looking to get back into beer league. I haven't owned skate since 2011. Quite the novice just like getting out there and playing for fun. Could I get some recommendations on a medium tier skate? I can spend around $400. My biggest issue with skates is they all feel too narrow in the middle of my foot even after punching the sides.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Looking to get back into beer league. I haven't owned skate since 2011. Quite the novice just like getting out there and playing for fun. Could I get some recommendations on a medium tier skate? I can spend around $400. My biggest issue with skates is they all feel too narrow in the middle of my foot even after punching the sides.
If you read through the Guide on page 1/2, you'll see which skates fit that tier. Try a few fits on and go with what fits best. Please come back once you have more specific questions!

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY
Curious if the chart on page 1 will be updated for 2019. Went to Purehockey to fit my 11yo for new skates. Was surprised to see Vapor 2x and 2.9 out because I didn't see them on any hockey store site yet. Apparently the 2x replaces the x800 and since I didn't want to spend $400 on kids skates, the next level down was the 2.9 at $250. Supposedly it replaces the X700 but feeling it out, it was pretty disappointing in terms of materials for the tongue and support for the quarter package - no Curv composite. Maybe since they will only be worn for about a year before sizing up again, it won't be a big deal in terms of wear, but I am concerned about support.

Also the rep said Bauer widened their forefoot area for this year - is this true? We went in with the intentions of buying a Supreme because he had some pain in the toe box area of his current Jetspeeds, but the ankle area on the Supreme was much too wide to fit him properly. Now we're stuck with buying a new model Vapor (because of the extra space) that fit well, but again - the gap between the 2.9 and 2x is too much in terms of cost and boot support - was hoping there's an in-between.

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY
I know that Bauer regulates the pricing on their skates even from the last generation (2017), but what about the 2015 generation? A local store is trying to sell the X800 2015 for $250 and says the price is set by Bauer. Is that true or a reasonable price when the 2017 is currently $262 (can't find the size for 2017)?

Bruckuss

FML & FCF
Apr 1, 2012
Not Toronto
Been looking to get new skates for a year or two, will likely buy this season. Anyone know if there are any changes to the tacks family expected (new lineup)? Eyeing up the 9090s. The other boot that fit surprisingly well was the nexus, maybe too generous though

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but I have a question about leg pain while skating.
I recently started to get back into ice skating so that I could hopefully join a house league.
Any time I step onto the ice I get a sharp pain from my knees down to the arches of my feet. I do have flat feet but I don't know if that's the issue.
Any advice could help; just for further info I'm 23 so it's not like I have damaged my legs throughout the years.
Thank you!

Calvin123

Sep 18, 2006
Quick Question. I have pair of Bauer Vapor X90s that are 4 or 5 years old. They are starting to break down pretty badly so it looks like I'll have to replace them this year. Once I got them punched out they've been pretty much the perfect skate for me so I'd like something very similar.

I notice the X900's are on clearance. How similar a skate, fit wise and and performance wise to the X90s?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Quick Question. I have pair of Bauer Vapor X90s that are 4 or 5 years old. They are starting to break down pretty badly so it looks like I'll have to replace them this year. Once I got them punched out they've been pretty much the perfect skate for me so I'd like something very similar.

I notice the X900's are on clearance. How similar a skate, fit wise and and performance wise to the X90s?

Pretty much the same skate, in terms of performance and tier within Bauer's line, just in a newer line. Should fit exactly the same and the performance will be similar, if not a little better. The biggest, and maybe only significant change is in the Quarter Package, x90 had the Tech-Mesh while the x900 has that 3d Curve Composite which Bauer invented, and is lighter and stiffer.

Calvin123

Sep 18, 2006
Pretty much the same skate, in terms of performance and tier within Bauer's line, just in a newer line. Should fit exactly the same and the performance will be similar, if not a little better. The biggest, and maybe only significant change is in the Quarter Package, x90 had the Tech-Mesh while the x900 has that 3d Curve Composite which Bauer invented, and is lighter and stiffer.

Thanks. I picked up a pair of X900s.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Quick question for the skate gurus on here. I had been playing hockey with Vapor XXIX for quite a number of years now. Think I got them back in 2007? They have never really been the right skate for me - had issues with my toe/ball of foot feeling like it's lifting off the footbed. From my knowledge the Vapor line has a bigger toe box area??? I had toyed with the idea of new skates as early as this time last year, even got fit and tried on new ones. Turns out that for Bauer, the Supreme line is more in line with what my foot is for. I have pretty had Bauer since I started skating when I was 4 or 5 years old (I am 46 now), aside from one try of an Easton skate. FWIW - I am currently only playing hockey once/week. That is mostly by choice, as I could play much more if I really wanted to.

I ended up going with the Supreme S29, and got the right fit and had them baked last Saturday (1/4/20). My first skate with them was last night (1/8/20). Obviously, even with baking, there is a break in period. I like the make up of the boot of this skate, seems to have more padding in the ankle area compared to the XXIX (which is one thing I kind of didn't like in them), and the fit is good. Yes, there was tightness on the outside of my right foot, and maybe in the arch of my left for the first skate. I know that will subside as I skate more with them.

My question is this: Are the Supreme aligned more upright compared to the Vapor (at least the ones I was using)? Or is this just a new skate stiff boot thing? Would getting them profiled make much of a difference? I haven't got skates profiled for quite a few years - not since I was playing 3 or 4 times a week.

Overall, I had little issues skating on the new skates, aside from the fact that there was 2 weeks off due to holidays.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Quick question for the skate gurus on here. I had been playing hockey with Vapor XXIX for quite a number of years now. Think I got them back in 2007? They have never really been the right skate for me - had issues with my toe/ball of foot feeling like it's lifting off the footbed. From my knowledge the Vapor line has a bigger toe box area??? I had toyed with the idea of new skates as early as this time last year, even got fit and tried on new ones. Turns out that for Bauer, the Supreme line is more in line with what my foot is for. I have pretty had Bauer since I started skating when I was 4 or 5 years old (I am 46 now), aside from one try of an Easton skate. FWIW - I am currently only playing hockey once/week. That is mostly by choice, as I could play much more if I really wanted to.

I ended up going with the Supreme S29, and got the right fit and had them baked last Saturday (1/4/20). My first skate with them was last night (1/8/20). Obviously, even with baking, there is a break in period. I like the make up of the boot of this skate, seems to have more padding in the ankle area compared to the XXIX (which is one thing I kind of didn't like in them), and the fit is good. Yes, there was tightness on the outside of my right foot, and maybe in the arch of my left for the first skate. I know that will subside as I skate more with them.

My question is this: Are the Supreme aligned more upright compared to the Vapor (at least the ones I was using)? Or is this just a new skate stiff boot thing? Would getting them profiled make much of a difference? I haven't got skates profiled for quite a few years - not since I was playing 3 or 4 times a week.

Overall, I had little issues skating on the new skates, aside from the fact that there was 2 weeks off due to holidays.

Yep. The Vapor line boots will have your foot a little more naturally pitched forward than Supreme line boots, which are more neutral. And yes you can get your blades profiled to give you a bit more forward pitch.

As for Stiffness, the S29's have Fiber Composite boot vs the old Tech-Mesh on those Vapors you had which is definitely stiffer.

I'd say give your Supremes a few more skates to get fully broken in and see how you feel. If you still feel kinda awkward in them, you could talk to your LHS about profiling them for you.

Reactions: Cams

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Perfect, that is what I suspected in regards to the pitch. I'm not too concerned about that, that will be an easy adaptation once the break in period is good. Thank you!

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Are the LS5 Runners worth it? As opposed to LS2/LS3?

I’ve been in my current LS2s (I think) for about 6 years and skate about 2-3 times a week. Wondering if I’ll notice a difference switching to LS5s. Thanks

Edit: I've read that the profile is longer and the height standard is higher as well.

Last edited:

False Start

May 8, 2018
I currently wear Supreme's. The instep is a little too shallow for my foot and slightly too snug in the widest part of my foot. For the most part it doesn't affect my skating at all.

Thinking about trying Nexus line next? Maybe the SuperTacks? Maybe the Jetspeeds? Stick with the supremes? Any recommendations?

choirboy

Apr 12, 2006
I currently wear Supreme's. The instep is a little too shallow for my foot and slightly too snug in the widest part of my foot. For the most part it doesn't affect my skating at all.

Thinking about trying Nexus line next? Maybe the SuperTacks? Maybe the Jetspeeds? Stick with the supremes? Any recommendations?

Based on what youre stating, I'd try the Bauer Nexus or possibly the CCM Ribcore line of skates.

Reactions: NoregreB

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Based on what youre stating, I'd try the Bauer Nexus or possibly the CCM Ribcore line of skates.

@AIREAYE I was meaning to question you about Ribcore becoming a high volume skate and this guys post reminded me.

I dont know how long ago they made the change but every website has the Ribcore listed as similar to Vapor but it is actually very similar to the Nexus line now. I dont really understand what CCM is doing because even most proshops wont recommend it when looking for something with more volume than the Supreme. Maybe you have more info and can update the guide on the first page?

Leksand

Oct 30, 2013
Northern VA
My 13 year old had a growth spurt and his CCM JS FT390 size 5 1/2 are two small. Assuming, that size 6.5 of the senior FT390 fits well when we go to the store - would it be fine to get them or are the senior skates likely to be too stiff? He’s current FT390 are the new model which looks awfully similar to what once was the FT1.

I guess the general question is if younger skaters who still need senior size should buy the same model level. (All this is of course provided that it’s the skate model line that fits the best)

Asked similar question a while back but the issue did not materialize as size 5.5 was perfect, but nature has its ways and now it’s senior sizes.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
My 13 year old had a growth spurt and his CCM JS FT390 size 5 1/2 are two small. Assuming, that size 6.5 of the senior FT390 fits well when we go to the store - would it be fine to get them or are the senior skates likely to be too stiff? He’s current FT390 are the new model which looks awfully similar to what once was the FT1.

I guess the general question is if younger skaters who still need senior size should buy the same model level. (All this is of course provided that it’s the skate model line that fits the best)

Asked similar question a while back but the issue did not materialize as size 5.5 was perfect, but nature has its ways and now it’s senior sizes.

This doesn't apply to CCM but Bauer has added intermediate sizing this year, sizes 4-6.5. From what I understand they are not as stiff as senior size skates of the same model. If you can get him into a 6.5 you're probably fine with the same level of skate. If you're going into senior I wouldn't go top level because he's probably not heavy enough for the boot.

Leksand

Oct 30, 2013
Northern VA
This doesn't apply to CCM but Bauer has added intermediate sizing this year, sizes 4-6.5. From what I understand they are not as stiff as senior size skates of the same model. If you can get him into a 6.5 you're probably fine with the same level of skate. If you're going into senior I wouldn't go top level because he's probably not heavy enough for the boot.
Thank you very much, very useful!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->