Equipment: SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice IV

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Anyone familiar with the Graf Peakspeed line? I’m trying to see how they compare to the 709 in terms of volume and fit. Same goes with the CCM Ribcor 80k. I know the obvious difference in construction but seeing if I can make the jump over or the boot shape will be a disaster.

shorkie88

Jun 11, 2015
Calgary
Is there a guide or does anyone have any tips regarding fitting skates for kids? My daughter just turned 3 and I'm looking to get her in a pair but don't know what to get her or how to figure out if they fit her properly. Tia

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Is there a guide or does anyone have any tips regarding fitting skates for kids? My daughter just turned 3 and I'm looking to get her in a pair but don't know what to get her or how to figure out if they fit her properly. Tia

Best bet is to head to your Rink proshop or a Sporting Goods Store and get her foot measured and talk to someone about skate options

Reactions: Leksand

saskykid

Mar 1, 2021
I need some help with sizing. I am basically new to skates and am trying to purchase some decent skates so I can stay on the ice for more than 20 minutes. I purchased some CCM SuperTacks from Walmart for $80 and they are not great. I purchased carbon superfeet hockey inserts and still not great. I went and got sized at my local shop cause I've got a buddy there. I got sized for a 6EE on their Bauer scanner thing, it's currently the end of the season in the shop so pickings are low. I tried on some Bauer Nexus Havoks in 6EE and they fit very well but I've got plantar fasciitis and felt no support in my arch, even with superfeet and baking the Havok's (they're almost $300 so I'm hesitant to purchase since I'm using them for recreational skating). I tried on a 5.5EE in Bauer Vapour X2.7's and they supported my arch well but they were too small/not wide enough. With no shops really having my size in stock, I need to shop online.

So would a 6EE Bauer Vapor X2.7 fit me in your opinion? I've found a new pair on sale for under $200 so if they're wide enough I would buy them. My buddy who sized me says Vapor probably won't fit great but it would also depend on the model so I feel stuck and I don't want to bug him too much. I am a bit confused about the difference between Vapour EE, Supreme EE, and Nexus EE. Also since it looks like Bauer is discontinuing Nexus, I can't exactly wait for next year's releases to come out and try those on.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I need some help with sizing. I am basically new to skates and am trying to purchase some decent skates so I can stay on the ice for more than 20 minutes. I purchased some CCM SuperTacks from Walmart for $80 and they are not great. I purchased carbon superfeet hockey inserts and still not great. I went and got sized at my local shop cause I've got a buddy there. I got sized for a 6EE on their Bauer scanner thing, it's currently the end of the season in the shop so pickings are low. I tried on some Bauer Nexus Havoks in 6EE and they fit very well but I've got plantar fasciitis and felt no support in my arch, even with superfeet and baking the Havok's (they're almost $300 so I'm hesitant to purchase since I'm using them for recreational skating). I tried on a 5.5EE in Bauer Vapour X2.7's and they supported my arch well but they were too small/not wide enough. With no shops really having my size in stock, I need to shop online.

So would a 6EE Bauer Vapor X2.7 fit me in your opinion? I've found a new pair on sale for under $200 so if they're wide enough I would buy them. My buddy who sized me says Vapor probably won't fit great but it would also depend on the model so I feel stuck and I don't want to bug him too much. I am a bit confused about the difference between Vapour EE, Supreme EE, and Nexus EE. Also since it looks like Bauer is discontinuing Nexus, I can't exactly wait for next year's releases to come out and try those on.

I hear ya, shit can get confusing for just trying to find some damn skates that fit. Traditionally, Vapor was the 'Tapered' fit, Supreme was the 'Anatomical' fit and Nexus was the 'Classic' fit.
BAU_1170_Category_Priority1_FFEP_Skates.jpg

But now Bauer has that new fit system where you can get a Vapor skate (if you like the features a Vapor skate has to offer) that fits more like a traditional Supreme or Nexus (again, shit can get confusing.) More info in this link from Pure Hockey (Bauer Performance Fit System | Pure Hockey)

PFS-3fit-chart.JPG

My opinion is Bauer Vapors (using the normal Vapor fit) would not be comfortable or fit you well if the ones a half size down felt too narrow. If you got fitted on a Bauer machine, it should have registered what line or new Fit number would be best for you.

If Vapors felt too narrow and Nexus' felt too much room in the heel, Supreme might be the best fit for you considering it's supposed to be more anatomical. Perhaps try on some Supreme EE's or 'Fit 3' (the Supreme EE fit) in another Bauer skate if you like features of Nexus/Vapor but want the Supreme fit.

Would not recommend buying anything without trying them on and feeling comfortable first.

Also, if you're a heavier set guy, you might need a stiffer boot for more support and stability. For exmaple, the higher end skates in the Supreme line (3s Pro and 3S etc.) will be stiffer and provide mroe support than the S35 or S36's.

Hope that wasn't too complicated and helps a little...

Last edited:
Reactions: Sky04 and saskykid

saskykid

Mar 1, 2021
I hear ya, shit can get confusing for just trying to find some damn skates that fit. Traditionally, Vapor was the 'Tapered' fit, Supreme was the 'Anatomical' fit and Nexus was the 'Classic' fit.
BAU_1170_Category_Priority1_FFEP_Skates.jpg

But now Bauer has that new fit system where you can get a Vapor skate (if you like the features a Vapor skate has to offer) that fits more like a traditional Supreme or Nexus (again, shit can get confusing.) More info in this link from Pure Hockey (Bauer Performance Fit System | Pure Hockey)

PFS-3fit-chart.JPG

My opinion is Bauer Vapors (using the normal Vapor fit) would not be comfortable or fit you well if the ones a half size down felt too narrow. If you got fitted on a Bauer machine, it should have registered what line or new Fit number would be best for you.

If Vapors felt too narrow and Nexus' felt too much room in the heel, Supreme might be the best fit for you considering it's supposed to be more anatomical. Perhaps try on some Supreme EE's or 'Fit 3' (the Supreme EE fit) in another Bauer skate if you like features of Nexus/Vapor but want the Supreme fit.

Would not recommend buying anything without trying them on and feeling comfortable first.

Also, if you're a heavier set guy, you might need a stiffer boot for more support and stability. For exmaple, the higher end skates in the Supreme line (3s Pro and 3S etc.) will be stiffer and provide mroe support than the S35 or S36's.

Hope that wasn't too complicated and helps a little...

This was super helpful! Especially with your link! The Bauer scanner I believe said 6 Fit 3 but since I'm shopping mid-lower range skates they're mostly D or EE fits. I did try Bauer Supreme Elite skates that were a 6EE but my heels were moving slightly so my buddy helping me said that was not good so we took them off and moved on. I might just have to try next year's stuff since I don't want to buy skates on clearance with no way to return them. I just did a foot measurement at home and I'm 9 3/4" long by 3 3/4" wide giving me a 2.6 ratio for the fit which is technically a Supreme ratio but super close to Nexus. Maybe I'll try to go back into the local shop and have a try-on spree. Thank you for your help!

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Longtime Nexus user here. I just switched to Vapor fit 3, holy hell they fit like a glove and the agility thing is no joke. Today was my first skate and I do feel more nimble with them. No adjustment period at all needed.

Reactions: Leksand

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I’m thinking about buying customs. Does anyone have any experience, advice, feedback?

beedee

Jan 13, 2014
I stopped in my LHS yesterday to pick up some tape and always wanted to try out the Bauer Foot Fit Scan. A couple years back I was skate shopping, looking to replace my Graf Ultra G5's. I bought a pair of Vapors, 7EE (without having my feet scanned, but tried on a variety of skates). Low and behold, yesterday the scan recommended a size 7 Vapor, Fit 2 and/or EE! I guess its nice to know that I'm in the best fitting Bauer skate for my feet.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Anyone have the True TF7's? Their customs are obviously top notch and the TF9 is out of my price range but the TF7's are right up there with the other mid-range skates, wondering if anyone has tried them?

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
tried my new mid level vapors (2.9x) and struggled hard until I dropped one and even two eyelets and felt much better. Literally couldn't bend my ankles at all with all the eyelets used and made getting into an athletic position impossible. The boot is much harder than my terrible old skate and took a bit of time to get used to but they felt great.

althoma1

Nov 21, 2013
Anyone have the True TF7's? Their customs are obviously top notch and the TF9 is out of my price range but the TF7's are right up there with the other mid-range skates, wondering if anyone has tried them?
I have the TF9s converted for inline. I also tried on the TF7s.

The TF7s use Fiberglass instead of Carbon Fibre, have a different liner and tongue and have the heel painted instead of having the composite weave exposed. It's still a one piece, speed skate inspired, thermoformable skate with removable steel. It's also quite stiff for the price.

At their price point, I think the TF7s are by far the best bang for your buck on the market.

The right size will feel way too small before baking and it'll be very hard to get your foot in (even after baking you have to completely undo the top two laces and twist your foot to get them in. They feel great in the right size after baking, but getting in and out of them takes more time and effort). If they feel like the right size before baking, they will likely be too long after baking and break in. Most people need to go down a half size in the True retail skates vs. their CCM and Bauer size.

The good news is, True offers a 30 day satisfaction guarantee via select retailers. So, you can bake, sharpen and use the skates for a few weeks and if the fit isn't right, you can return them within 30 days.

Oh, and a tip for lacing the top two eyelets - thread the lace behind the tongue and then pull it over the tongue. It's really difficult to thread the top couple eyelets in front of the tongue.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I stopped in my LHS yesterday to pick up some tape and always wanted to try out the Bauer Foot Fit Scan. A couple years back I was skate shopping, looking to replace my Graf Ultra G5's. I bought a pair of Vapors, 7EE (without having my feet scanned, but tried on a variety of skates). Low and behold, yesterday the scan recommended a size 7 Vapor, Fit 2 and/or EE! I guess its nice to know that I'm in the best fitting Bauer skate for my feet.

tried this out too yesterday. Pretty unique experience having it to be 'tailored' to the best skate fit you can have.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
What's the best site to buy Roller Hockey Skates?

Also if anyone can recommend a brand/model or provide advice on buying online that would be awesome.

althoma1

Nov 21, 2013
What's the best site to buy Roller Hockey Skates?

Also if anyone can recommend a brand/model or provide advice on buying online that would be awesome.
If you have ice skates that fit well, ordering inline skates that fit like your ice skates is the safest way to go. Mission skates are made with the Bauer Supreme last. Vapor, Tacks and True inline skates fit like their ice counterparts.

If you don't have ice skates that fit well, go to a shop and get sized for ice skates. If that's not possible, some of the fit and sizing info here may help: Buying Inline Hockey Skates for Wide Feet

Coast to Coast is a good shop based in Vancouver, Canada. They can ship most things to the US, but not Bauer and Mission. If you're in the US and want Mission or Bauer then Inlinewarehouse is a good option as they have an excellent return policy on unused skates.

Last edited:
Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
If you have ice skates that fit well, ordering inline skates that fit like your ice skates is the safest way to go. Mission skates are mad with the Bauer Supreme last. Vapor, Tacks and True inline skates fit like their ice counterparts.

If you don't have ice skates that fit well, go to a shop and get sized for ice skates. If that's not possible, some of the fit and sizing info here may help: Buying Inline Hockey Skates for Wide Feet

Coast to Coast is a good shop based in Vancouver, Canada. They can ship most things to the US, but not Bauer and Mission. If you're in the US and want Mission or Bauer then Inlinewarehouse is a good option as they have an excellent return policy on unused skates.
Awesome thank you. I'll have to try on my ice skates and see what I think, been a while haha.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
If you have ice skates that fit well, ordering inline skates that fit like your ice skates is the safest way to go. Mission skates are made with the Bauer Supreme last. Vapor, Tacks and True inline skates fit like their ice counterparts.

Any experience with these? I am considering buying them as my current skates are too big.

BAUER RH VAPOR X2.7 Skate Senior | BAUER

Will the wheels that come with it be fine? I play outdoor but on a Sport Court soft surface. Currently using the Labeda Millenium wheels and they work well.

althoma1

Nov 21, 2013
Any experience with these? I am considering buying them as my current skates are too big.

BAUER RH VAPOR X2.7 Skate Senior | BAUER

Will the wheels that come with it be fine? I play outdoor but on a Sport Court soft surface. Currently using the Labeda Millenium wheels and they work well.
The Labeda Union wheels have known hub separation issues. You'd likely need to replace those almost right away. You can read reviews on those wheels here: Labeda Union Hockey Wheels - Inline Warehouse

The boots themselves are mid-range boots for a mid-range price. Not terrible if they fit you well (they have a narrow/shallow fit), but not an exceptional value either.

For just a bit more money, I'd consider the True TF7 boots. They have some high end features (one piece, highly thermoformable boots that are very similar to the high end model, but use fiberglass instead of carbon fiber) and more durable wheels. They don't feel great before baking and will feel too small in the right size, but baking makes a big difference. They also offer a 30 day satisfaction guarantee via select retailers. Most people need to drop down a half size vs. CCM and Bauer.

If you have a narrow to average foot, I'd try the R width and if you have a wide foot, go with W: True TF7 Roller Hockey Skates Sr
Inlinewarehouse also carries them if you're in the US: True TF7 Roller Hockey Skates - Inline Warehouse

Last edited:

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
Has anyone switched a Bauer 246 holder to a 254? I got a pair of Hyperlites and I had to size down to a 5.5 skate from a 6, which reduced my holder from a 254 to a 246. I don't want to lose the profiled steel I have so I figured I can switch it out. Has anyone been able to do this successfully without drilling any holes?

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
What has changed with the skates of today vs a skate from 10 years ago?

I think I asked this before here, but I hardly skate anymore. When I do I’m still using the CCM U+ crazy lites from 2010. My local hockey shop if offering 40% off of last years Bauer line skates (even pro models :eek::thumbu:).

What would be a change that I would ‘notice’ if I do buy new skates?

Captain Charisma

Jan 18, 2019
What has changed with the skates of today vs a skate from 10 years ago?

I think I asked this before here, but I hardly skate anymore. When I do I’m still using the CCM U+ crazy lites from 2010. My local hockey shop if offering 40% off of last years Bauer line skates (even pro models :eek::thumbu:).

What would be a change that I would ‘notice’ if I do buy new skates?

Higher grade carbon fiber and composite materials today make for a lighter skate compared to 10 years ago, but I think the biggest difference is how stiff some of these skates are. There's an argument to be made that stiffer skates provide better energy transfer and power, but at the sacrifice of agility.

Also I think they are a lot more heat moldable after baking compared to skates in the past.

There's a few new tech add-ons like interchangeable tongues, flexible tendon guards, and of course interchangeable blades.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
You'll probably just feel more efficient out there and perhaps even a little 'pep in your step' if you were to buy new high-end skates. Boots break down overtime and 10 years is a long time. They loose their stiffness and thus that spring effect. Even things like balance and stability could be impacted.

That was my experience, anyway. They obviously won't make you a better skater but I just felt like the new high end skates just made me expend less energy and be more comfortable on the rink. I didn't have to spend nearly as much energy balancing or staying stable in my skates and crossovers and turns felt more effortless.

Solmors

<3 Data
May 3, 2010
San Jose
Short:
I have a pair of old Bauer Vapor X:50 skates from ~2010 that don't have that many games/use but are causing foot pain after ~60 minutes or so of wearing them. I'm willing to spend ~$600 on a new pair that fit me well and are nicer. Would you all recommend I go to the local shop, get fitted, and newest generation mid-tier, or get fitted and wait for a sale on an older generation high-tier?

Long:
Around 2010 I was looking to get into playing hockey for the first time after being a life long fan but not being able to afford to play. I got lower-mid tier gear including my Bauer Vapor X:50 skates on sale/clearance deals, so while the skates are the right size (probably) they were not fitted and have never felt that comfortable to me. Unfortunately I ran into tight financial times and never was able to start playing, only using the skates a couple times a year at open skate times.

Two years ago I joined an adult learn to play class, did well enough that I got invited to a lower level team and played 2 games. And then covid hit. But now restrictions are lifted and I have played my 4th ice hockey game ever!

As you can imagine my skates don't really have that much wear on them for being 11+ years old. But like I said, they are uncomfortable and after ~45 minutes (usually towards the end of the 2nd, start of the 3rd period) my feet start hurting and I lose some feeling in the little toes of my left foot. I am willing to spend up to around $600 on a new pair of skates, which gives me a few options (After going to the local shop and getting fitted):
  1. Newest generation mid-tier (Bauer 3S, CCM Jetspeed FT485, etc)
  2. Older generation high-tier (Bauer 3x, CCM Jetspeed FT2, etc) that I can find on sale/clearance somewhere. May have to wait for a deal.
  3. True TF9
  4. Deal with what I have until I absolutely can't stand it and want to quit.
Thoughts?

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
Short:
I have a pair of old Bauer Vapor X:50 skates from ~2010 that don't have that many games/use but are causing foot pain after ~60 minutes or so of wearing them. I'm willing to spend ~$600 on a new pair that fit me well and are nicer. Would you all recommend I go to the local shop, get fitted, and newest generation mid-tier, or get fitted and wait for a sale on an older generation high-tier?

Long:
Around 2010 I was looking to get into playing hockey for the first time after being a life long fan but not being able to afford to play. I got lower-mid tier gear including my Bauer Vapor X:50 skates on sale/clearance deals, so while the skates are the right size (probably) they were not fitted and have never felt that comfortable to me. Unfortunately I ran into tight financial times and never was able to start playing, only using the skates a couple times a year at open skate times.

Two years ago I joined an adult learn to play class, did well enough that I got invited to a lower level team and played 2 games. And then covid hit. But now restrictions are lifted and I have played my 4th ice hockey game ever!

As you can imagine my skates don't really have that much wear on them for being 11+ years old. But like I said, they are uncomfortable and after ~45 minutes (usually towards the end of the 2nd, start of the 3rd period) my feet start hurting and I lose some feeling in the little toes of my left foot. I am willing to spend up to around $600 on a new pair of skates, which gives me a few options (After going to the local shop and getting fitted):
  2. Older generation high-tier (Bauer 3x, CCM Jetspeed FT2, etc) that I can find on sale/clearance somewhere. May have to wait for a deal.
  3. True TF9
Thoughts?
i got a pair of bauer vapor 2xpro's off of sidelineswap a couple weeks ago and have had a really good experience with them so far. i play beer league friday-saturday and have had a couple weekends of 9-14 games reffing and had no pain at all, but thats just me. don't cheap out on footbeds either, i have used speedplates and superfeet, i find the superfeet more comfortable while the speedplates are way better at feeling your edges on the ice, thats my experience at least.

you can find some pretty good deals on on sidelineswap you just have to shop around quite a bit, thats the route i would go personally.

Reactions: Solmors

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Short:

Long:

3. True TF9
Thoughts?

Keep in mind that part of the pain is most likely just your foot muscles getting used to being in skates for an hour at a time. I notice during times where I'd have significant gaps between playing (6 months or more) that foot pain would develop for the first handful of ice sessions. No different than someone who sat all day for work taking a job where they need to stand all day. It will seem like misery for the first couple weeks while your foot muscles adjust. Speaking from experience.

Personally I'd keep skating on the ones you have for another 5-6 ice sessions. If there is no improvement and you still feel pain, then try Superfeet insoles as the previous poster suggested. Make sure you get the right size insole, I made that mistake once. I highly recommend Super-feet insoles.

If none of that works, then go with new skates. I'd also point out that as you go up in price, your also going up in stiffness and rigidity. For someone just learning how to skate in ice hockey I don't think stiffer skates help but may actually hinder your skating development as you'll have a harder time developing the muscles used for balance, pivots, turning, etc while wearing a stiff higher end skate. The skate is essentially doing some of that work for you with the stiffer boot. Think of it like cheating on a test.

In the long run I think your better off staying with a more flexible boot and working your way up. I've been playing 30 years and am certainly no pro but I would say a experienced skater and I still find my skating isn't really strong enough to move to a full-composite boot and I wear essentially the price point just below the top (Bauer Nexus 7000 - 2014-15 model) which is a tech-mesh with more flex than the Curve Composite boot of the next model up (Nexus 8000). If you do buy new skates you might want to consider the stuff in the $300-ish range to get that added flex while still learning.

Reactions: Solmors

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad