Equipment: SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice IV

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Why not rebake them at a shop and 'squeeze out' that area? A more permanent solution may be to take them to that shop to punch out that hotspot.

I ll wait for a week or two so the ankle pain goes away and then hit the shop again.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I just recently noticed that my skates felt a little weird after sharpening. Felt like I was pitched forward more than usual and I wasn't as stable. I thought it was all in my head until I swapped into my back up steel and things felt normal again. I then compared my current steel to my back up pair and saw what's in the pictures below. Both sets of steel are the exact same age, bought within a week of one another. The one on the bottom has only been ground twice. Once to a 12' radius and then to a 13' radius. The steel on top has only been profiled once to a 12' radius and then sharpened approximately 8 times.

I know the two blades are different radii, but Is this much steel supposed to be missing on the toes and heel after 8 sharpenings? Any opinions and/or insight would greatly be appreciated. I don't want to ***** and moan to the shop unless I'm sure.

Thanks in advance.

cRgkGqn.jpg

uQ8yj4I.jpg

best thing to do is take it into someone with a really good reputation with skates and get his opinion. seems like whomever had been sharpening your skates was pretty aggressive and rockered out the steel too much.

you should go to someone really reputable and get them profiled again. then maybe stick with him to sharpen your skates. a good tech will be able to keep the profile of the steel through better finesse and technique on the sharpen. if you tak it to some shop like pro hockey life or sport chek etc you risk losing that profile in one bad sharpening.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
best thing to do is take it into someone with a really good reputation with skates and get his opinion. seems like whomever had been sharpening your skates was pretty aggressive and rockered out the steel too much.

you should go to someone really reputable and get them profiled again. then maybe stick with him to sharpen your skates. a good tech will be able to keep the profile of the steel through better finesse and technique on the sharpen. if you tak it to some shop like pro hockey life or sport chek etc you risk losing that profile in one bad sharpening.

That's the thing. I did take it to a shop with a great reputation. One of the best where I live. I've been taking my skates to them for like seven years without one issue. I think what happened was I got one of the new guys and they did exactly what you described.

Any way regardless, I took the blades back to the shop and they fixed them up as best as they could for free. But I think I'm going to move on from that store as my goto sharpening place. There's a small shop that specializes just in sharpening that has the rep as being the best in town. It's close to home but a little out of the way to go there, but if sharpening is their bread and butter, I figure they won't mess up, at least not to this extent.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
I'm a 2x week beer leaguer who started skating later in life but love playing...

I was at power skating last year and the instructor mentioned that I had broken my skates down and could use new ones. I've held off on it since they were not that old... they're supreme 170s from about 3 years ago and I'm reluctant to spend more money already. Another issue is that one of the top eyelets ripped through the skate recently and now are feeling less snug on my foot. I see the ultra tacks are on sale for black friday and I'm wondering if I should pull the trigger, but have a couple of questions before I drop $400.

1) would these skates last me for the long haul compared to the 170?
2) do I need that high end of a skate at my level? I'm a D league guy who's strongest asset is my skating. Will it benefit me or be too stiff?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I'm a 2x week beer leaguer who started skating later in life but love playing...

I was at power skating last year and the instructor mentioned that I had broken my skates down and could use new ones. I've held off on it since they were not that old... they're supreme 170s from about 3 years ago and I'm reluctant to spend more money already. Another issue is that one of the top eyelets ripped through the skate recently and now are feeling less snug on my foot. I see the ultra tacks are on sale for black friday and I'm wondering if I should pull the trigger, but have a couple of questions before I drop $400.

1) would these skates last me for the long haul compared to the 170?
2) do I need that high end of a skate at my level? I'm a D league guy who's strongest asset is my skating. Will it benefit me or be too stiff?
Well first off, you're not even sure those skate even fit you! That's paramount; you need to try them on. But for discussion's sake, let's assume they do fit you well and you can find the right size.

1) Yes generally the higher end the skate, the longer they tend to last.
2) This is a tough one; and the answer is probably no, you don't need it necessarily for your level, but it may benefit you performance-wise if you're able to adjust to the stiffness. If you're currently a decent skater and can utilize all of your edges, then you can certainly notice a benefit. However, if you're still learning intermediate/advance skating moves like pivots, sharp turns or mohawks, then keeping mobility is vital.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Well first off, you're not even sure those skate even fit you! That's paramount; you need to try them on. But for discussion's sake, let's assume they do fit you well and you can find the right size.

1) Yes generally the higher end the skate, the longer they tend to last.
2) This is a tough one; and the answer is probably no, you don't need it necessarily for your level, but it may benefit you performance-wise if you're able to adjust to the stiffness. If you're currently a decent skater and can utilize all of your edges, then you can certainly notice a benefit. However, if you're still learning intermediate/advance skating moves like pivots, sharp turns or mohawks, then keeping mobility is vital.
Thanks! I'll go to the store and see how they feel.

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
I recently bought new skates and discovered that my old blades, Step Steel, were flat like goalie skates, so I’m having to learn to skate with a proper profile. Is it common for blades to lose their profile? It’s hard enough to find a sharpener who gets level edges, most round here screw up blades something rotten.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I recently bought new skates and discovered that my old blades, Step Steel, were flat like goalie skates, so I’m having to learn to skate with a proper profile. Is it common for blades to lose their profile? It’s hard enough to find a sharpener who gets level edges, most round here screw up blades something rotten.

From what I've read, profiles will degrading over time, but a skilled sharpener can slow that degradation and extend the life of the profile. I've read it's recommended that skates should be profiled about every year. It all depends on how often you sharpen your skates.

As a side note, from my experience, the profile tends to degrade to a more round profile. I've never had anyone I know tell me their profile went flat, but what I don't know would fill the ocean.

One thing I've just started to do after I had my steel screwed up is to trace the shape of the steel onto a piece of paper. That way I can do a rough comparison and see when things are really off.

Reactions: AIREAYE

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Right, as a sharpener, you don't want to apply uneven pressure across the steel, as that can 'grind down' and change the profile more quickly than is natural over time. Profiles generally stay consistent unless someone really grinds down the heel/toe.

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
I placed the old steels on a granite hearth, and they are completely flat. I had them sharpened very two weeks, any longer and the edge goes. The blades before that do have some curve on them, but less than when new. The Sparx machine will soon be available in the U.K., and I will buy one. The ProSharp Home is much more expensive, and I don’t trust ProSharp on past experience of their gauges.

Rogue

Jun 21, 2017
Hey guys! What skate size would you recommend I get for Bauer X.0?
My feet size is the following:
North American: 11 / 11.5
European: 44
I will be forever thankful for the advice!
I have read the thread, but it seems that everything depends on the feet!
(to help you; I have the most standard feet possible)

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
What do you mean by 'feet size'? Is that your shoe size? Shoe size doesn't help much. Can you go get fitted at a store where they can give a skate size? What skates have you tried.

We need more info here...

Reactions: Rogue

Rogue

Jun 21, 2017
What do you mean by 'feet size'? Is that your shoe size? Shoe size doesn't help much. Can you go get fitted at a store where they can give a skate size? What skates have you tried.

We need more info here...

Hey, oh yeah I am sorry! I meant that 11 / 11.5 US and 44 European is my shoe size. As a whole I am a novice skater and so far I have had a very bad pair of cheap no-brand skates (which correspond to shoe size 44 European). I am afraid that where I live - there is nobody really qualified to give a skate size. There is just a girl, which sells the skates and she would be even more confused than me about skate size.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
So there is really no good way of doing this but I suggest you perhaps seek out other people wearing size 9.5 or 9 Bauers, preferably in D width and preferably Bauer Vapor. Try them on and based on how I outlined sizing in the guide, see if you're in the right ballpark.

Is this possible? If not, then you may have to order 2-3 pairs of skates online and return the ones that don't fit. You will have to double check the retailer's return policy for this.

Reactions: LeifUK and Rogue

Rogue

Jun 21, 2017
So there is really no good way of doing this but I suggest you perhaps seek out other people wearing size 9.5 or 9 Bauers, preferably in D width and preferably Bauer Vapor. Try them on and based on how I outlined sizing in the guide, see if you're in the right ballpark.

Is this possible? If not, then you may have to order 2-3 pairs of skates online and return the ones that don't fit. You will have to double check the retailer's return policy for this.

I have a friend with Bauers! I will check his out! Thank you so much for the help!!! I wish you all the best!!! I will make sure to write an update when I get my skates!

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
So I’m looking to get back into ice after about 10 years of not playing. I’ve been playing inline however, so it’s not like I haven’t played hockey at all.

Looking to pick up a new pair of skates for ice and I’m a bit confused on the fitting described in the diagram as far as the low/mid/high profile feet thing is being described.

I have a very flat foot and I’d say a normal size in width. I’m going to go down to my local pro shop to try some on as suggested but I’d rather not bother the guy and have him take out 6+ pairs of skates. Curious with my brief description if there is a line I should take a look at which best describes my kind of foot.

Edit: also I wear Alkali inline skates if that helps at all.

Feb 24, 2017
So I’m looking to get back into ice after about 10 years of not playing. I’ve been playing inline however, so it’s not like I haven’t played hockey at all.

Looking to pick up a new pair of skates for ice and I’m a bit confused on the fitting described in the diagram as far as the low/mid/high profile feet thing is being described.

I have a very flat foot and I’d say a normal size in width. I’m going to go down to my local pro shop to try some on as suggested but I’d rather not bother the guy and have him take out 6+ pairs of skates. Curious with my brief description if there is a line I should take a look at which best describes my kind of foot.
Go to a place after scouting prices that you feel you will buy from
Make the employee show you every pair and size you wanna see
Be happy they helped and buy the pair you need
Everyone wins

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Go to a place after scouting prices that you feel you will buy from
Make the employee show you every pair and size you wanna see
Be happy they helped and buy the pair you need
Everyone wins

Yeah, take your time and try as much as possible, employee is there for you and because of you.

Best skate is the one that fits.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009

Edit: also I wear Alkali inline skates if that helps at all.
I think you should definitely try Bauer Supreme and Vapor. Nexus is wide and deep; definitely their 'third' fit. CCM is tougher to pin down as their fit profiles kinda overlap.

Reactions: JaeTM

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
I think you should definitely try Bauer Supreme and Vapor. Nexus is wide and deep; definitely their 'third' fit. CCM is tougher to pin down as their fit profiles kinda overlap.

Appreciate that. I know the employee is there for me but in all likelihood I'll end up trying the skates on there and ordering them online if they're cheaper. Sure it's great to support your local stores, but money is money lol.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Appreciate that. I know the employee is there for me but in all likelihood I'll end up trying the skates on there and ordering them online if they're cheaper. Sure it's great to support your local stores, but money is money lol.
The employee helping you won't appreciate that...

You're wasting their time and time is money lol :thumbd:

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
The employee helping you won't appreciate that...

You're wasting their time and time is money lol :thumbd:

Which is why I was asking for a few brands in name before I went there and wasn't asking for 6+ types of skates. If they're close in price I'll order at my local store, but a lot of the online dealers are significantly cheaper.

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
Which is why I was asking for a few brands in name before I went there and wasn't asking for 6+ types of skates. If they're close in price I'll order at my local store, but a lot of the online dealers are significantly cheaper.

Ever wondered why online shops are cheaper? Could it be because they don't have to pay for retail space and staff, and they don't have to waste their time serving freeloaders who go and buy elsewhere after they've spent their valuable time serving them? What will happen is that you and others like you will drive the bricks and mortar shops out of business. Once that happens you'll only have online shops, and how will you work out what fits then?

Alternatively, why not recognise the service your LHS provides, and support them, rather than being unpleasant to them?

I recommend to anyone who asks, and lots of people do ask me, that if they want new skates and they do not know the size, go to a good LHS with a good range in stock, and if they have something that fits properly, buy from them. If my good LHS goes bust, I'll be in big trouble.

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
Ever wondered why online shops are cheaper? Could it be because they don't have to pay for retail space and staff, and they don't have to waste their time serving freeloaders who go and buy elsewhere after they've spent their valuable time serving them? What will happen is that you and others like you will drive the bricks and mortar shops out of business. Once that happens you'll only have online shops, and how will you work out what fits then?

Alternatively, why not recognise the service your LHS provides, and support them, rather than being unpleasant to them?

I recommend to anyone who asks, and lots of people do ask me, that if they want new skates and they do not know the size, go to a good LHS with a good range in stock, and if they have something that fits properly, buy from them. If my good LHS goes bust, I'll be in big trouble.

I know exactly why they're cheaper. And like I said, if it's within reason I'll buy there. But if there's a $500 pair of skates on sale for half the price online, then I'm sorry but I'm not spending an additional $250 just to support my LHS. If you do that, good on you, you're a better person than I am (and who knows where you and I differ financially), but I won't. I have too many other bills to be worrying about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad