Equipment: SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice IV

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
So I haven't bought a pair of new skates since high school, and my feet are bigger now than they were then. But I've started skating again as a form of exercise I don't hate, using only a pair of legit 1980's Cooper Roos from a yard sale. They fit decently well, though aren't completely comfortable, and I'm assuming they're a bit heavier than most modern skates.

So, $200 budget, what's the get on a new pair? Any and all suggestions welcome.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I know exactly why they're cheaper. And like I said, if it's within reason I'll buy there. But if there's a $500 pair of skates on sale for half the price online, then I'm sorry but I'm not spending an additional $250 just to support my LHS. If you do that, good on you, you're a better person than I am (and who knows where you and I differ financially), but I won't. I have too many other bills to be worrying about.
Yes of course. I think the sentiment is more about smaller price differences, which you could reasonably chalk up so to speak on higher overheads and the service you are receiving. Your example is clear; no one should be paying that if the price difference is that much!

Anyhow let's move on. Let us know what skates you end up trying and how they feel!

So I haven't bought a pair of new skates since high school, and my feet are bigger now than they were then. But I've started skating again as a form of exercise I don't hate, using only a pair of legit 1980's Cooper Roos from a yard sale. They fit decently well, though aren't completely comfortable, and I'm assuming they're a bit heavier than most modern skates.

So, $200 budget, what's the get on a new pair? Any and all suggestions welcome.

Aside from price range, you've given us no other info. Do you intend to play hockey again soon? Are you a bigger dude?

The default advice in situations like yours is to go to a store with a good selection of skates and knowledgeable service, and get fitted by trying different brands and families. Read the Guide on Page One if you haven't already.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Yes of course. I think the sentiment is more about smaller price differences, which you could reasonably chalk up so to speak on higher overheads and the service you are receiving. Your example is clear; no one should be paying that if the price difference is that much!

Anyhow let's move on. Let us know what skates you end up trying and how they feel!

Aside from price range, you've given us no other info. Do you intend to play hockey again soon? Are you a bigger dude?

The default advice in situations like yours is to go to a store with a good selection of skates and knowledgeable service, and get fitted by trying different brands and families. Read the Guide on Page One if you haven't already.

small person. normal human adult feet, though, regular width and all that. might end up playing hockey again down the road, but ultimately just need a good modern skate that's decently light that'll last a while under moderate use. my last pairs in high school were Missions, which obviously no longer exist, so I don't have a great reference point.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
small person. normal human adult feet, though, regular width and all that. might end up playing hockey again down the road, but ultimately just need a good modern skate that's decently light that'll last a while under moderate use. my last pairs in high school were Missions, which obviously no longer exist, so I don't have a great reference point.
Sure; go get fitted at a good store, but you should ideally try Bauer Vapor and Supreme models, and see if you can try a CCM Ribcor or Jetspeed family of skate.

Reactions: God Bless Mr Gritty

Captain Charisma

Jan 18, 2019
Any ideas of what the rankings are from lowest volume to highest volume for all the skate families?
I'm thinking it goes something like this:

Lowest Volume --- > Highest Volume
Ribcor = Vapor < Jetspeed < Supreme = Tacks < Nexus

Also does anyone know the rankings in terms of stiffness? CCM is easy to rank, but I'm not sure if Bauer has any differences in stiffness between their different families.

Flexible ---- Stiff
Ribcor < Jetspeed < Tacks
Vapor ? Supreme ? Nexus?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Any ideas of what the rankings are from lowest volume to highest volume for all the skate families?
I'm thinking it goes something like this:

Lowest Volume --- > Highest Volume
Ribcor = Vapor < Jetspeed < Supreme = Tacks < Nexus

Also does anyone know the rankings in terms of stiffness? CCM is easy to rank, but I'm not sure if Bauer has any differences in stiffness between their different families.

Flexible ---- Stiff
Ribcor < Jetspeed < Tacks
Vapor ? Supreme ? Nexus?
I would agree with your volume argument generally.

During the first few generations of Nexus skates, I would say they would be the most flexible as their mid/high end models didn't use the same stiffer materials (i.e. Curv composite) as the other 2 families. Nowadays they do, so there isn't really too much of a difference anymore.

Reactions: Captain Charisma

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Just started again after a ten year break...

Used to get terrible pain on top of my feet/numbness+pain all over feet within minutes. Figured it was how it is.

Fitted with 3D scan and got Nexus N2700 skates. What a difference. Only pain is my fat *** and gravity, now.

I was killing my instep apparently before by not having enough volume where laces begin to curve up.

Usually 9-10 in shoes, these are 7.5D and toes juuuuuuust touch toe cap. Heel locks fine. Width overall is fine. My feet are a mix of rectangular and casket shaped.

I tried some Superfeet Carbon Pro ...but I guess I don't need that sort of arch support because I nearly gave myself plantar fasciitis after just one hour....my heels and bottom of feet hurt BAD for like a week and a half. Tossed em back for a refund and put OEM crap footbeds back in and basically am fine again. Lol.

Reactions: AIREAYE

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
And that's exactly what that refund policy is for! It's not really an arch support product though.

Reactions: EightyOne

AronB

Apr 4, 2019
thanks for all the tips in here regarding skate fitting. I bought player skates for the first time in almost 10 years yesterday. I decided to go to the LHS in this area (about 45min to 1 hr away form me) that has the best rep for skate fitting near me. Got there right after they opened and had the luxury of having the owner fit me. He looked at my foot put me in the Bauer fit machine (came up Supreme size 8 profit) and pulled out Supreme S2's, Tack 9080's and 9070's in an 8 and 8.5 to start. I'm 5'10" 240 lbs so I was worried about getting a boot that would break down in 12-18 months. The LHS I went to has a policy that they will bake skates to make sure they are a proper fit regardless of sale. The Supreme's felt the best but he baked both the S's and the 9080's and had me try them both on. The Supreme ended up being the best overall fit especially in the heel lock. I broke my right foot a few years ago and it caused an issue with how my goalie skates fit until I went to this same shop and had them punched. After the bake there was a hot spot on my right pinkie toe..he marked it with some tape and punched the boot ever so slightly. I put them on and they felt like slippers. They are excellent after the sale too. There motto is the skate they fit to you in their shop shouldn't give you any pain on the ice. They back that up by rebaking, punching and stretching after the sale until the boot fits at no charge. I'm gonna be able to have these skates for a while (Im hoping at least 5 years) but when they need to be replaced I will make the 45 min-1 hr drive again thats for sure. There is something to be said about a LHS that does a good job as a skate fitter.

Captain Charisma

Jan 18, 2019
Does anyone have an idea of the public market share % split between Bauer and CCM for skates?
In the NHL, according to geargeek, 68% of the players wear Bauer, and 21% wearing CCM, with the remainder being True's.

Is the disparity that large for the public market share as well? I can't imagine it being too much of a difference between Bauers and CCMs.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Does anyone have an idea of the public market share % split between Bauer and CCM for skates?
In the NHL, according to geargeek, 68% of the players wear Bauer, and 21% wearing CCM, with the remainder being True's.

Is the disparity that large for the public market share as well? I can't imagine it being too much of a difference between Bauers and CCMs.

This house has two skaters. 100% Bauer. Lol

Reactions: Captain Charisma

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Went to the Bauer store today for something else, but before leaving I tried out that new foot scanner contraption for the first time, just to see what it said. Apparently I'm "supposed" to be wearing a 6.5 Bauer Supreme (or Nexus? The guy said it was somewhere in between). I have been skating in a pair of size 7.0 CCM Jetspeeds the last few years, and always kinda wondered if I had been fitted properly when I got those.

beakerboy

Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
I've felt like something was off in my skates the last couple of times I've played, but I put it down to replacing the bungee cords I use for toe ties and them needing adjustments to feel right. After really loosening them last night, my skates still felt weird and I realized after playing that the skate blade has a noticeable bow in it. Not sure whether it is from a shot or the holders or what, but would a bent blade be the cause of it feeling like my foot wants to turn outwards slightly when I'm in my crouch?

And is there a relatively cheap way of fixing a bent blade or am I looking at replacing the steel (or skates depending on cost)?

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
I believe you can’t straighten a bent blade. however, it is worth taking the blade out and placing a straight edge against it to see if it is straight when out of the holder. If it is, you have a bent holder, or more accurately, a badly riveted holde. That said, if you’ve only recently had issues, chances are it’s the blade. One of my old skates has a bent holder. My LHS said they could redo the rivets at modest cost.

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
1E3C81D5-CA63-49D0-8A20-FF5311228183.jpeg
Bauer S180 or S29? I’m in a rush because this happened last night.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Pure Hockey has the Vapor line (2017) now 25% off. I just went in today on lunch and bought me some new skates, while they had all the sizes available...

think

May 2, 2019
Hello everyone,
Newbie here. Beginner try to learn with my 4 yours old. Would you suggest buy a used pair of RBK 20k around $100 or a new pair of CCM Ribco 64k or even 66k for a little more? Not in rush, I heard that around May - July there are usually sales event with big discount because of newer version released.

Thanks,
T

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Hello everyone,
Newbie here. Beginner try to learn with my 4 yours old. Would you suggest buy a used pair of RBK 20k around $100 or a new pair of CCM Ribco 64k or even 66k for a little more? Not in rush, I heard that around May - July there are usually sales event with big discount because of newer version released.

Thanks,
T
I'm confused. Are these for you, or the 4 year old?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Sorry for the confusion. Those are for me. 4 year old doesn't need $100 skates :)
Have you read the guide on page 1? Do any of those skates even fit you?

What's the condition of the used skates? How much blade is left on it? Is the tendon guard still ok?

Is this just for learn to skate or do you have hockey aspirations? More details please...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad