Confirmed Signing with Link: [SJS] Patrick Marleau signs with the Sharks (1 year, $700K)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrpither

Dec 1, 2005
the 'verse
Your move, Winnipeg

images

Wonder how Cheechoo is doing these days....

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
images

Wonder how Cheechoo is doing these days....
Doing alright, but not much more in the KHL. I can't believe that he once scored more than 20 goals in the NHL.

56 is a testament to how small the gap between the NHL goaltenders and euro goalies is. And how fantastic his linemates were.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Doing alright, but not much more in the KHL. I can't believe that he once scored more than 20 goals in the NHL.

56 is a testament to how small the gap between the NHL goaltenders and euro goalies is. And how fantastic his linemates were.

Cheechoo's fall-off was due to injuries (especially a sports hernia) destroying his already limited speed. I distinctly remember reports out of the AHL when he was trying to get back into the league that he was slow enough that d-men could outspeed him while they were skating backwards. And yet he still managed a 25 goal season and a couple of similarly paced but shortened seasons.

He score nearly 30 once playing on a glorified 3rd line before Thornton got there. His goal-scoring ability was legitimate. And while it'd be stupid to say that he wasn't helped by Thornton, it's not right to frame it as if fantastic linemates carried him to NHL relevance. Besides, his other linemate with Thornton was Nils freaking Ekman.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

.... I mean, your taking the age is just a number thing a little too literally. 8 years between his 56 goal season and his first season against "euro goalies".

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Um, yeah...you do realize that in his final NHL season, he scored only 5 goals in 61 games and then got sent to the minors, right? Then, after 5 years of additional aging and wear and tear from injuries, he scored 24 goals in 49 KHL games.

In other words, his goals per game multiplied by 6 from the NHL to the KHL. I don’t think his KHL performance says what you want it to at all.

Reactions: mattihp and Phu

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
We’ll miss him in Carolina. Take care of him, San Jose.
... we are paying him over 5 times more to not play than San Jose is paying him to play...

I tell you that the little punk who we're going to pick in either 2020 or 2021 1st round is owing us some serious money from the get-go. If we don't give him the $850k per years Schedule A Performance Bonus, and he unlocks the needed 4+ bonus categories in all three years, he will by the end of his ELC have gotten his debt down to a million bucks plus some change which we will knock off the top of his first RFA contract.

Last edited:

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
Cheechoo's fall-off was due to injuries (especially a sports hernia) destroying his already limited speed. I distinctly remember reports out of the AHL when he was trying to get back into the league that he was slow enough that d-men could outspeed him while they were skating backwards. And yet he still managed a 25 goal season and a couple of similarly paced but shortened seasons.

He score nearly 30 once playing on a glorified 3rd line before Thornton got there. His goal-scoring ability was legitimate. And while it'd be stupid to say that he wasn't helped by Thornton, it's not right to frame it as if fantastic linemates carried him to NHL relevance. Besides, his other linemate with Thornton was Nils freaking Ekman.

how dare you insult the greatness that was Nils Ekman

Reactions: mrpither

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
We’ll miss him in Carolina. Take care of him, San Jose.
I've always thought it would be funny to have a collection of NHL jerseys of players who belonged to a team but never played there. A Marleau Carolina jersey, Kolzig Leaf jersey, etc. Expensive but kind of funny.

Good luck Marleau!

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
It's certainly amusing to see Doug Wilson make a panic move three games in, only weeks after telling the hockey world (and Patrick Marleau) that there was no room for him on the Sharks, and that they were going with a younger group.

"Thanks for all of your support but we're going to look elsewhere........oh wait, hold on, I changed my mind. Please come back." :laugh:

Reactions: o6mopok

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Are you one of those people who call women "ugly" on the internet and you happen to be ugly?

I can't wait until you turn 40 and someone calls you "beyond done".

Well, let's see. I am already over 40. I am a man. And I don't give a **** what someone calls me, on the internet or otherwise.

Back to the matter at hand, Marleau looked like a complete passenger on the Leafs last year. I don't think he has anything left in the tank. Do you?

Reactions: KingsKnight97

paragon

May 5, 2010
Awesome to see him back in teal although it's a bit of an embarrassing contract
There's nothing embarrassing about it. When these guys, who have earned 100m+ come back to play for league minimum, you know they love the game.

Reactions: o6mopok

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Good for Patty, unfortunately he is pretty much done but I've hated the way Leaf fans have ragged on him, a vocal minority despises him for getting old.
That's just the nature of sports. It's unfortunate.

I for one really like Marleau. I appreciated the leadership he provided in Toronto, he was clearly a well liked figure within the team. The Leafs had to move him to make room for other contracts, but I'm thankful that he chose to spend part of his career in Toronto, and am happy that gets to wrap it up where it all started.

Reactions: Ryan Michaels
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad