Confirmed Signing with Link: [SJS] Patrick Marleau signs with the Sharks (1 year, $700K)

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
pretty bogus move by the sharks. Before they didn’t need him and had no interest in him, now they do? It’s Wilsons infamous charity cases. He has a lot of them: Gomez, Lemieux, Roenick, Nichol, Wallin, Scott. The differences are obvious with Marleau, but I don’t see how signing him now will do any good other than giving him a nice exit from the sport with his home team and city.

He isn’t a very effective player at this point offensively and defensively. Maybe he can contribute, but I highly doubt it. Just seems like something for fans to get behind to boost moral rather than focus on how crappy the sharks have been and ways to fix it. This just doesn’t appear to be one of them.

He's a team legend, scored 17 goals last year, and quite frankly, not a single forward has looked good for their role yet. I'll buy the Roenick comparison (who I think Patty can have a similar impact to), but come on Gomez, Lemeiux, Nichol, Wallin, and Scott are all awful!

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
He's a team legend, scored 17 goals last year, and quite frankly, not a single forward has looked good for their role yet. I'll buy the Roenick comparison (who I think Patty can have a similar impact to), but come on Gomez, Lemeiux, Nichol, Wallin, and Scott are all awful!
My point was DW signing forwards with little to no impact just to give them a one last hoorah and help them go against the understand that they most likely shouldn’t be playing. And Marleau has been awful over the last couple of years. This is the same guy that ditched the sharks to chase money, and then had no intentions of resigning with us, until(at least IMO) he realized no team will sign him for the price he wants, that’s why he’s being thrown a bone....similar to the others. In the end it never really helped or made a big impact on the team.

The difference is most of the forwards on our team at least have the potential to do better, Patty not so much....although it will be interesting to see. I just won’t expect much.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
My point was DW signing forwards with little to no impact just to give them a one last hoorah and help them go against the understand that they most likely shouldn’t be playing. And Marleau has been awful over the last couple of years. This is the same guy that ditched the sharks to chase money, and then had no intentions of resigning with us, until(at least IMO) he realized no team will sign him for the price he wants, that’s why he’s being thrown a bone....similar to the others. In the end it never really helped or made a big impact on the team.

The difference is most of the forwards on our team at least have the potential to do better, Patty not so much....although it will be interesting to see. I just won’t expect much.

Reportedly he left over term rather than $$. He was willing to sign with the sharks for 5mil per year if they would throw in the third year. He was a former captain and coming off a 20 goal season, I don’t think he was being money grubbing or unreasonable. It also not like no one wanted him, Carolina tried to convince him to play and supposedly he had offers from other teams(possible speculation from his agent but it was all over Twitter).

Marleau holds a number of franchise records and should be welcomed back on a retirement deal. It’s not charity so much as offered out fo respect. Frankly, if he was willing to sign for 700k I’m surprised the sharks didn’t jump at it earlier.

Finally, Marleau hasn’t been terrible the last few years. He was perfectly fine prior to last season and even then most Leafs fans didn’t hate the player so much as Babcocks insistence on playing him in high stake situations.

If anything, I’m surprised they let him and Pavelski go despite both being considered leaders in the room. Management has been surprisingly unsentimental when you compare them to other franchises.

Reactions: o6mopok

mrpither

Dec 1, 2005
the 'verse
Is Owen Nolan still available
That would be awesome ~10 years ago. Kidding aside I do miss Cap'n Buster and would love to see him try a Claude Lemieux (sp?) / Roenick renaissance move... just an experiment of course.

Patty had 37 points last year and he cost just 700k. I'm not seeing desperation given that they still have a few games to turn things around, and the crowds in the tank are going to go nuts for this.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Fire DW. Right now. Spent to the cap with the same exact issue for the past few years. They should have already had a Cup and I'm a Blues fan saying that.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Reportedly he left over term rather than $$. He was willing to sign with the sharks for 5mil per year if they would throw in the third year. He was a former captain and coming off a 20 goal season, I don’t think he was being money grubbing or unreasonable. It also not like no one wanted him, Carolina tried to convince him to play and supposedly he had offers from other teams(possible speculation from his agent but it was all over Twitter).

Marleau holds a number of franchise records and should be welcomed back on a retirement deal. It’s not charity so much as offered out fo respect. Frankly, if he was willing to sign for 700k I’m surprised the sharks didn’t jump at it earlier.

Finally, Marleau hasn’t been terrible the last few years. He was perfectly fine prior to last season and even then most Leafs fans didn’t hate the player so much as Babcocks insistence on playing him in high stake situations.

If anything, I’m surprised they let him and Pavelski go despite both being considered leaders in the room. Management has been surprisingly unsentimental when you compare them to other franchises.
It’s not about hating Marleau at this point and if he wants to come back for one final farewell, that’s fine. It’s just odd timing that’s all. He did want more money from the sharks than he was worth, at least IMO. It was a good move to let him walk and sign Thornton.

I don’t know, his overall play dipped pretty bad between last year. There is only so much you can get out of him. I’m sure they aren’t looking to him to provide anything at this stage of his career.

I’m not trying to shit all over his return. It’s just kind of tough seeing DW be some what conservative with his moves, only to do this kind of signing(which is similar to the others I posted). I understand the sentimental value he brings, but I’m looking for wins. But that’s just me.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Believe me, I have mixed emotions about this. On the positive, it is great to have him back for all sorts of nostalgia reasons. I held no ill-will for him taking the Toronto deal over staying here whatsoever. I mean, at least it was openly about money/term rather than growing up with Maple Leaf Underoos or something. ( :sarcasm: ) He also proved he can be very good at the mentoring role, as evidenced by how he handled helping out Matthews, etc. From the Sportsnet article on this, the kids in Toronto have a ton of respect for Marleau, and hopefully he can be helpful in the development of some of our kids here too. On the negative, the state of the team that necessitated this is obviously incredibly troubling, and his abilities on the ice aren't anywhere near good enough to really help turn that around.

Of course, even if he's not great, it's not like we've been getting all-star caliber play at all spots *now*, so even if he's not-good, it's unlikely he'll make us worse than we already are. I suspect part of it may be that the team misses Pavelski's leadership in the locker room, and hopefully Marleau will help replace some of that. His on-ice skills may be (significantly) diminished, but there's no reason whatsoever his off-ice skills have dropped, and that's where I expect the biggest boost from his signing will be felt.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Of course, even if he's not great, it's not like we've been getting all-star caliber play at all spots *now*, so even if he's not-good, it's unlikely he'll make us worse than we already are. I suspect part of it may be that the team misses Pavelski's leadership in the locker room, and hopefully Marleau will help replace some of that. His on-ice skills may be (significantly) diminished, but there's no reason whatsoever his off-ice skills have dropped, and that's where I expect the biggest boost from his signing will be felt.
This. Exactly this.

He is not the player he used to be on the ice, but don't underestimate what a guy like Marleau brings off the ice.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I have a nice phonograph for sale if he needs. Hopefully he reads this and send me a telegram.
Almost. I fixed it. :thumbu:

I know the Sharks have a loyal fanbase, but I don't think they've had to live through seasons of a rebuild like Buffalo (for example). If they really expire this season after all the high hopes, and prove to not be a contender, it will be interesting to see how the fanbase supports what comes next.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Fire DW. Right now. Spent to the cap with the same exact issue for the past few years. They should have already had a Cup and I'm a Blues fan saying that.

Whoa there, didn't you know his teams always make the playoffs and made it to the Stanley cup once in 17 years? You mean to tell me that you don't think we should be satisfied with that? Are you not super impressed that once every few years he makes a super amazeballs trade the keep our "window" open?

Geez have some patience :sarcasm:

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
So in his first game back playing for the Sharks he gets 2 goals and the Sharks win and I heard he was done by Toronto fans well it doesn't seem to be the case. Congrats on your return to the Sharks.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
PleasantBountifulArizonaalligatorlizard-size_restricted.gif

Atta boy Patty!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad