Confirmed Signing with Link: [SJS] Patrick Marleau signs with the Sharks (1 year, $700K)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
I was shocked for some comments (from fans!!!?) in this thread showing disrespect to someone who do not deserve such.

Then I was delighted when some instant karma was delivered by the same guy.

Expecting 'Career achievement' Lady Byng or Masterton trophy for Patrick Marleau. In either of cases the fact he has yet awarded neither, degrades the value of such awards.

Its f****** irrelevant what the player has paid, if he managed still put some decent production up last season, being member of both 500G and 1000Pts clubs, and accumulating GPs far above and beyond anything that could've been expected over 2 decades ago (by sheer probabilities)...

And people only whine when they get their Franchise Granpa back to home. Shame on them!

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I told you guys "Not a fit at this time" = "Come down on your price Patrick"

Not so. Wilson was giving the kids a chance to fill that role through the pre-season and none did. Once that was clear, Marleau was in. He is making buyout money this season under his Leafs contract, so like most vets in that situation they sign for league minimum or near minimum. It would be stupid for him to risk a roster slot over money.

dfunk

Feb 1, 2012
Lol people freaking out over a $700k one year deal for a guy who bled for their franchise for what, 19 years? Took a chance and signed somewhere else to try get a cup, then comes back to said team, now is the devil. Wow. Not to mention how much he has done and will continue to do for the community. Where is the respect?

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Patrick hasn't shared an emotion since he's been drafted. He's about the most reserved player I have ever seen. To come out and say this publicly, and to see him cry at the game last night during the video tribute......you know these aren't things he says lightly. I'll bet that if he never wins a Cup, that moment might be his favorite based on his reaction.

Reactions: Iron Mosher

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Lol people freaking out over a $700k one year deal for a guy who bled for their franchise for what, 19 years? Took a chance and signed somewhere else to try get a cup, then comes back to said team, now is the devil. Wow. Not to mention how much he has done and will continue to do for the community. Where is the respect?

I respect him. He's a great player and a class guy.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I told you guys "Not a fit at this time" = "Come down on your price Patrick"

Or it meant that they were trying what they felt were enough young guys in spots that they didn't need him and those young guys didn't get the job done...that's what it actually was. Marleau was likely willing to play at minimum the entire time.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Or it meant that they were trying what they felt were enough young guys in spots that they didn't need him and those young guys didn't get the job done...that's what it actually was. Marleau was likely willing to play at minimum the entire time.

I get what you're saying but they took all of what like 3 games doing that before bringing him back? The Sharks disarray is running deeper than bringing Marleau back if that's the case.

In any event it's good to see him back in SJ

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I get what you're saying but they took all of what like 3 games doing that before bringing him back? The Sharks disarray is running deeper than bringing Marleau back if that's the case.

In any event it's good to see him back in SJ

Yeah they do have disarray more than what bringing Marleau back will solve but his presence has already had some positive reverberating effects. Kevin Labanc was a complete pile of trash before Marleau showed up. I'm sure his presence took some pressure off of him while also serving as a way to motivate him. They did try Yurtaykin and while he has potential, he wasn't ready to produce. Radil was someone who had spurts of time last season in the top six but didn't earn a spot there even with an injury and Kane's suspension. Sorensen getting injured also pushed them towards this. They wanted Gambrell up there on the right side in the top six with Labanc but that failed spectacularly although he looks like he may carve out a 4th line role for himself in the short term. The only young kid up front that is still in the lineup is Lean Bergmann as a 4th liner and he only had 6:40 of ice time in the last game where they led most of the time. So they're kind of cycling young players in various roles but none of them were playing top six level so they brought in someone with some pedigree there even if it's just fleeting.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Very few people were seriously saying he sucks. It was his contract that sucked. I would have been happy to have Patty at
$700k.

I agree the contract sucked for the third year. But some posters here are a bit crazy with their thoughts.
For $700k I would take him in a heartbeat also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad