SJHL Humboldt Broncos bus crash | 16 Killed, 13 Injured

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
And guess what. A person (presumably the driver) has been found to have committed a crime, presumably running the stop sign and it led to mass loss of life. So it's most likely a lot more than just some unavoidable accident that couldn't have been prevented or anything like that.

I am a bit surprised that many of you do not want to even visit the possibility of adding more safety features at this intersection.

This is the simple fix that they did near my house where drivers speed: they added a speed radar sign, so if you are approaching the sign above the posted speed limit, strobe lights flash at you showing you how fast you're driving. They really get your attention and you slow down.

This should be done at all intersections where there is a history of serious accidents and/or have a perceived blind spots - like the trees at this intersection.

This can't be more than $8,ooo - $10,000 per intersection.

At least add some bigger and more stop signs and flashing red lights.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I think we should all take a second and read with our finger under the text and sound our words out.

They can punish someone without releasing the name of said person. LMFAO last group the tried that i think something bad happend.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I am a bit surprised that many of you do not want to even visit the possibility of adding more safety features at this intersection.

This is the simple fix that they did near my house where drivers speed: they added a speed radar sign, so if you are approaching the sign above the posted speed limit, strobe lights flash at you showing you how fast you're driving. They really get your attention and you slow down.

This should be done at all intersections where there is a history of serious accidents and/or have a perceived blind spots - like the trees at this intersection.

This can't be more than $8,ooo - $10,000 per intersection.

At least add some bigger and more stop signs and flashing red lights.
There are rumble strips at some important intersections around Edmonton I seem to recall. Not sure how they function in the winter.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
They can punish someone without releasing the name of said person. LMFAO last group the tried that i think something bad happend.

they do it all the time. every juvenile defendant is unnamed to protect their identity.

also, why didnt the gov't add more safety measures to the intersection after the other fatal wreck there years ago that killed 6?

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
they do it all the time. every juvenile defendant is unnamed to protect their identity.

also, why didnt the gov't add more safety measures to the intersection after the other fatal wreck there years ago that killed 6?

He's not a juvenile.

Cost analysis.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Speed bumps. Easy. Cheap. Effective. In all seasons. Try taking a speed bump at 100K+ That would get your attention and make you slow down for sure.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Think you should read again

"They can punish him without revealing his name cant they ?!..."

"So you would have the justice system secretly arrest people and hide it from the public"

I dont know where you get off thinking that poster wants the justice system to "secretly" arrest people and to hide it from the public. Not once did he say what youre comprehending. Maybe stay out of the sun today.​

Reactions: trueseraphim

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
So 16 counts that carry a max of 14 years per count
So 13 counts that carry a max of 10 years per count.

Nice

The Canadian justice system is relatively lenient. I don't think you'll see him get a max sentence consecutively, especially if he shows remorse and is/was cooperative.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
"They can punish him without revealing his name cant they ?!..."

"So you would have the justice system secretly arrest people and hide it from the public"

I dont know where you get off thinking that poster wants the justice system to "secretly" arrest people and to hide it from the public. Not once did he say what youre comprehending. Maybe stay out of the sun today.​

The CAN punish PERSON without revealing PERSON NAME.

Lol what fantasy world do you live in

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
The Canadian justice system is relatively lenient. I don't think you'll see him get a max sentence consecutively, especially if he shows remorse and is/was cooperative.

Oh I expect him to get less than 1 year in jail to be honest

IceBjoern

Feb 24, 2010
Stockholm
I said it before, I’ll say it again: seatbelts!! Mandatory on long distance buses... or at least the choice.

Saved many lives in Sweden.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
The CAN punish PERSON without revealing PERSON NAME.

Lol what fantasy world do you live in

The poster wasn't sure if you could or not and thats why he was asking a SIMPLE question, that you were struggling to understand. do the math.

Dont Toews Me Bro

Mar 20, 2018
I'm not sure how they work with snowplows. Rumble strips seem more cost effective but there has to be a reason why we don't see them more often too.

Part of it is the noise they make. If there are houses nearby residents may not want to deal with the excess noise.

I'd imagine another reason you don't see them everywhere is the more common something is the more likely it is to be ignored.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
If yuh are an adult and charged with a criminal offence the name is always available to public knowledge....just the way it is.

Obviously they found some form of fault in his behalf. If your son/daughter was involved in a tragic death like this I guarantee you would want answer to the question of why it happened, the Police and courts will answer that. As well as seeing the person who caused the death have some justice rather than walk the streets without punishment.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
If yuh are an adult and charged with a criminal offence the name is always available to public knowledge....just the way it is.

Obviously they found some form of fault in his behalf. If your son/daughter was involved in a tragic death like this I guarantee you would want answer to the question of why it happened, the Police and courts will answer that. As well as seeing the person who caused the death have some justice rather than walk the streets without punishment.

I think this is a question better left up to the individual. I'm sure some people would not prefer to see another persons life ruined over what is in the end a tragic mistake. In a case where there was no malicous intent I don't see any benefit to a long prison sentence myself.

Reactions: IceBjoern

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I think this is a question better left up to the individual. I'm sure some people would not prefer to see another persons life ruined over what is in the end a tragic mistake. In a case where there was no malicous intent I don't see any benefit to a long prison sentence myself.
I understand your line of thought but gross carelessness has to be punishable for accountability. The drunk driver never meant to hurt anyone, the guy speeding through a neighborhood never meant to hit that kid on a bike, the lifeguard never meant for anyone to drown while he was texting on his phone, etc. With certain privileges come certain responsibilities.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
I understand your line of thought but gross carelessness has to be punishable for accountability. The drunk driver never meant to hurt anyone, the guy speeding through a neighborhood never meant to hit that kid on a bike, the lifeguard never meant for anyone to drown while he was texting on his phone, etc. With certain privileges come certain responsibilities.

I mean no one is saying he shouldn't be held accountable simply that harsh sentences for what are basically (tragic) mistakes are not helpful.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
According to the Canadian law, a dangerous operation of a motor vehicle sentence is 6 months in jail; he's facing 16 of those. I would imagine the other 13 would be the same as that sentence as it is a fairly similar sentence (Dangerous Operation of a Motor Vehicle). He could be facing somewhere around fifteen-twenty years in jail.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
If I see one more major organization try to pay tribute to the Broncos at this point i'll puke. It is definitely putting a negative spin on the story imo.

It was embarrassing that TSN mentioned them again on FA Frenzy day. Let the families grieve now please, instead we are getting constant reminders about how 'sorry' people still feel.

I might be coming across harsh here but it sounds like using Humboldt has become a money grab at this point.

Also I would be fine with the drivers name not being released. It doesn't provide anything other than a target for someone who will already be paying the price.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
According to the Canadian law, a dangerous operation of a motor vehicle sentence is 6 months in jail; he's facing 16 of those. I would imagine the other 13 would be the same as that sentence as it is a fairly similar sentence (Dangerous Operation of a Motor Vehicle). He could be facing somewhere around fifteen-twenty years in jail.

In Canada it is very rare for sentences to be served consecutively. (one after another)

if he gets found guilty there is no doubt he would serve all time for each charge concurrently. (at the same time)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad