SJHL Humboldt Broncos bus crash | 16 Killed, 13 Injured

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I am a bit surprised that many of you do not want to even visit the possibility of adding more safety features at this intersection.

This is the simple fix that they did near my house where drivers speed: they added a speed radar sign, so if you are approaching the sign above the posted speed limit, strobe lights flash at you showing you how fast you're driving. They really get your attention and you slow down.

This should be done at all intersections where there is a history of serious accidents and/or have a perceived blind spots - like the trees at this intersection.

This can't be more than $8,ooo - $10,000 per intersection.

At least add some bigger and more stop signs and flashing red lights.
The cheapest and most efficient option is rumble strips. If there are already you start them even further back. Heck get convicts out there with a hammer and chisel

Oilslick941611

slapshot into the empty net...utterly irrelevant
Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
There is also zero need for a guy to be negligent and kill 16 people.
right, but also and?

saying his name doesn't need to be released doesn't mean I condone what he did. nor does it mean I'm defending it. they aren't mutually exclusive.

NorwegianDevil

Jul 13, 2012
Trondheim, Norway
Do you really think we are defending the driver just because we dont understand why his name is made known?
He has family like all others, family that problably will feel the consequenses of them naming him..

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Do you really think we are defending the driver just because we dont understand why his name is made known?
He has family like all others, family that problably will feel the consequenses of them naming him..
Literally every person that break a law has a family. The court isn't going to change how they do things because it is a high profile case. That just isn't how this works.

Reactions: Bim Jenning

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
We arent protecting him, we are protecting his family, people who had nothing to do with his negligence..
Unfortunately he should've thought of that himself. Too many people abuse their rights in this Country and take advantage of what has been given to them.

Maybe next time people will think and learn from this mistake.

Don't need to start making it easier on criminals.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
We arent protecting him, we are protecting his family, people who had nothing to do with his negligence..
Do you think those close to him (ie those in his neighborhood/hometown) don't already know who he is and what he is responsible for? I'd say his identity has been fairly well protected so far, but eventually its going to come out.

BigTruzz

Jul 19, 2011
Surrey
His name was released

Jaskirat Singh Sidhu, 29 years old from Calgary. He was arrested without incident and is fully cooperating.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Don't know any of the details but surprised nobody else was charged in something like this, maybe everyone in the transportation supply chain did their job perfect but that's rarely the case or maybe Chain of Responsibility isn't a thing in Canada?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Don't know any of the details but surprised nobody else was charged in something like this, maybe everyone in the transportation supply chain did their job perfect but that's rarely the case or maybe Chain of Responsibility isn't a thing in Canada?
I doubt anyone in the company was negligent enough to bring criminal charges. If the driver had been violating a standard set for amount of time in the seat without rest or something and that is brought to light you could see a civil case but in general the company wouldn't be held criminally responsible for one of their drivers negligence.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
In Alberta OH&S usually has a lot to do with those and they usually take their full 2 years before laying charges.

Reactions: Spearmint Rhino

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
Of course his name should be released. He’s been charged with 29 Criminal Code offenses. It’s not like these are traffic violations or something. Should police not have released the name of Bruce McArthur?

Reactions: joestevens29

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
Of course his name should be released. He’s been charged with 29 Criminal Code offenses. It’s not like these are traffic violations or something. Should police not have released the name of Bruce McArthur?
in a small town in Ontario (cant remember the name but it was on a drive to Tobermory), their local AM radio station reads off traffic charges and names from the previous day. I laughed.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I doubt anyone in the company was negligent enough to bring criminal charges. If the driver had been violating a standard set for amount of time in the seat without rest or something and that is brought to light you could see a civil case but in general the company wouldn't be held criminally responsible for one of their drivers negligence.
In chain of responsibility it's not about being negligent it's about being responsible. Goes all the way from the delivery schedule/expectations, loading/restraint of the product, mass/load of vehicle, training/supervision of the driver, monitoring the driver (checking log books, in-vehicle-monitoring system), vehicle maintenance, allowing legislated rest periods during individual shifts and throughout the week. No doubt the driver is the biggest cog in the chain but every accident generally has several other breakdowns that contributed, these are important learnings across the industry that get lost when focussed just on the driver

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
According to the Canadian law, a dangerous operation of a motor vehicle sentence is 6 months in jail; he's facing 16 of those. I would imagine the other 13 would be the same as that sentence as it is a fairly similar sentence (Dangerous Operation of a Motor Vehicle). He could be facing somewhere around fifteen-twenty years in jail.

Actually, it's a sentence of up to 14 years for causing death and up to 10 years for bodily harm/injury.

249(1) CCC defines what the offense is and the driver meets the elements of the offense based upon the circumstances. Subsections (3) and (4) of 249 detail the punishments for injury (sub 3) and death (sub 4).

Criminal Code

Rinkrat

Feb 11, 2007
There’s a persistent rumour that he may have been texting at the time of the accident. Yeah, it’s just a rumour, but I’ve heard it from within RCMP circles. IF it’s true and can be proven to be true he’s as bad as an impaired driver and should be sentenced heavily. He won’t be...impaired drivers get not much more than a slap on the wrists all too often. That isn’t right either. There’s simple negligence, which is running a Stop sign, and there’s gross negligence, which is texting and driving or impaired driving. I hope his sentence appropriately reflects the situation

If it’s simple negligence then it doesn’t make sense to hand out a sentence that destroys his and his family’s lives. But if it’s gross negligence he should pay a stiff price. Until the details come out in the trial we won’t know which is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->