SJHL Humboldt Broncos bus crash | 16 Killed, 13 Injured

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
False. An accident is something that one has no control over. I'm willing to say the truck driver didn't intend to kill 16 people when he didn't stop, but the collision occurred because he didn't stop. And there is no reason he didn't stop. If he stops, this doesn't happen. It is not as the intersection had a traffic light that malfunctioned and gave all directions the Green Light. That could be an accident. Not stopping at a stop sign wasn't an accident.

Rather generic, but not surprised you again can't get something right. What "mechanical problem" would there be? See, brakes on trucks are different from breaks on a car. In a car, the brakes are applied by a pressurized line. If you lose pressure, you will lose your breaks. Trucks are the opposite. The pressure is there to keep the brakes open. Lose pressure, the breaks lock up. Breaks can get "soft", and lose some of their stopping ability if they start to over heat from continual usage. That can be a problem when going up and down hills. Not a problem in Saskatchewan.

So, again, can you name one?

There was a warning sign ahead of the intersection noting the stop sign. There was a red flashing light noting the stop sign. And there was the actual stop sign. He can't have missed all three and claimed it was an accident. When your mom tells you to clean your room for the 3rd time, does she give you a break when you say you didn't hear her?

Thanks for the tip, but I don't think I'll take advice from someone who is proving to be this ignorant on the issue at hand. Don't like me picking you you? Then stop posting stupid things.

If you think this was an accident, then you believe that nothing could have been done to prevent it. And that simply isn't true.

Um, because there are different levels of punishment in the criminal code? The truck driving in this case ran a stop sign and will be going to jail. The head coach of an OHL hockey team has been caught drinking and driving and has never gone to jail or lost his licence.

Same reason Global Warming us one I suppose. Just because a name has been given to something, doesn't mean the words in that term accurately reflect the event it's describing.

Yes, yes I do. There were 3 different notifications that tells drivers to stop. He didn't stop. If he stops, there is no collision.

It's really quite simple kids. Ask your parents to explain it to you

Mechanical failure isn't limited to losing your breaks. I work in a warehouse, and have seen trucks come to a full stop, then stall out 5 seconds after hitting the gas. There are dozens of explanations why that truck could've been sitting in that intersection.

Reactions: Fixxer

Rodu58

Nov 12, 2017
Have they determined yet how fast the bus was going?

Still blows my mind that this is an intersection of two 100km/h highways, protected only by a single stop sign. Disaster waiting to happen. :help:
common thing in the rural prairies

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
False. An accident is something that one has no control over. I'm willing to say the truck driver didn't intend to kill 16 people when he didn't stop, but the collision occurred because he didn't stop. And there is no reason he didn't stop. If he stops, this doesn't happen. It is not as the intersection had a traffic light that malfunctioned and gave all directions the Green Light. That could be an accident. Not stopping at a stop sign wasn't an accident.

Rather generic, but not surprised you again can't get something right. What "mechanical problem" would there be? See, brakes on trucks are different from breaks on a car. In a car, the brakes are applied by a pressurized line. If you lose pressure, you will lose your breaks. Trucks are the opposite. The pressure is there to keep the brakes open. Lose pressure, the breaks lock up. Breaks can get "soft", and lose some of their stopping ability if they start to over heat from continual usage. That can be a problem when going up and down hills. Not a problem in Saskatchewan.

So, again, can you name one?

There was a warning sign ahead of the intersection noting the stop sign. There was a red flashing light noting the stop sign. And there was the actual stop sign. He can't have missed all three and claimed it was an accident. When your mom tells you to clean your room for the 3rd time, does she give you a break when you say you didn't hear her?

Thanks for the tip, but I don't think I'll take advice from someone who is proving to be this ignorant on the issue at hand. Don't like me picking you you? Then stop posting stupid things.

If you think this was an accident, then you believe that nothing could have been done to prevent it. And that simply isn't true.

Um, because there are different levels of punishment in the criminal code? The truck driving in this case ran a stop sign and will be going to jail. The head coach of an OHL hockey team has been caught drinking and driving and has never gone to jail or lost his licence.

Same reason Global Warming us one I suppose. Just because a name has been given to something, doesn't mean the words in that term accurately reflect the event it's describing.

Yes, yes I do. There were 3 different notifications that tells drivers to stop. He didn't stop. If he stops, there is no collision.

It's really quite simple kids. Ask your parents to explain it to you

This is a good lesson on how to derail a thread due to semantics.

You’re seriously arguing over the use of a word and then to boot, act like a condescending ***** for the sake of it.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
common thing in the rural prairies
Conmon in North Ontario too.

Well hopefully this accident will give whoever planned those intersections, time to think about whether or not an actual stop light should be added in. I think it'd be far more effective, and much safer.

Again, though, I'm really curious to know how fast the bus was travelling. If he was going at a 130-140km/h clip, we may see a shift in the way people place their blame here.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Well hopefully this accident will give whoever planned those intersections, time to think about whether or not an actual stop light should be added in. I think it'd be far more effective, and much safer.

Again, though, I'm really curious to know how fast the bus was travelling. If he was going at a 130-140km/h clip, we may see a shift in the way people place their blame here.
Meh, I'm ok with the intersections the way they are. If people follow the rules they work perfectly.

What's next, we need medians everywhere?
We have traffic whipping along at 100kph separated by a yellow line of paint. Revamp that too?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

The problem is a lot of these highways just aren't that busy in the first place. Provincially transportation isn't going to start spending money on every intersection in their province.

In Edmonton we had a reports that we have 658 dangerous crosswalks. At the current budget is damn near 30 years to have them all complete. That doesn't include any other crosswalks that become an issue during that period

Long story short, people have to pay attention. It would be nice to have all the safe roads, crosswalks, highways etc... Just not financially feasible.

Rodu58

Nov 12, 2017

I don't know if a bus can go that fast, could have its speed governed

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
The safety revolution with traffic that's coming isn't an increase in signals for humans to watch for, it's a huge increase in robot drivers thereby taking away all of the human mistakes like tiredness, distractedness, sun glare, etc.

In aviation this is already the case and accidents are RARE. The plane does most of the flying and this is a good thing. Get our monkey hands off the wheel and let a system do the work.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'm sorry to say this; all love for Humboldt, but when will all this Humboldt Bronco stuff be put to rest? I'm truly getting aggravated hearing all about it as it's been going in all sorts of directions to the point to where I think everybody who hasn't been involved should just move on from it.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I'm sorry to say this; all love for Humboldt, but when will all this Humboldt Bronco stuff be put to rest? I'm truly getting aggravated hearing all about it as it's been going in all sorts of directions to the point to where I think everybody who hasn't been involved should just move on from it.
What? You think the police should just stop their investigation because you are personally tired of seeing it? Hopefully you can explain your opinion better because I honestly don't get what you are trying to say here lol

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
What? You think the police should just stop their investigation because you are personally tired of seeing it? Hopefully you can explain your opinion better because I honestly don't get what you are trying to say here lol

I didn't say that the police should stop investigating. I think what I'm trying to say is that it's been an ongoing topic for too long now and it's just so.... worn out. These should only be saved for the topics that matter such as this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad