SJHL Humboldt Broncos bus crash | 16 Killed, 13 Injured

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Those are serious charges. The RCMP wouldn't lay them unless there is a very strong case and a reasonable prospect of conviction.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Do you really think we are defending the driver just because we dont understand why his name is made known?
He has family like all others, family that problably will feel the consequenses of them naming him..
I'm assuming you would feel the same sympathy for criminals who have murder charges? I mean, they have families to

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Obviously something came up in the investigation that made the charges what they are. He did something that investigators determined was a marked departure from simple negligence. Whether this was handling his phone, blood alcohol level, whatever, who knows. But the police apparently have ruled out the sun being in his eyes or him being tired. He might be going to jail for a long time.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Those are serious charges. The RCMP wouldn't lay them unless there is a very strong case and a reasonable prospect of conviction.

I hope that is the case and that they are not overreaching because of the notoriety of the situation.

It would be worse for them to overreach and fail to secure a conviction than it would be for them to get a proper conviction on a lesser charge.

The driver of the semi is obviously responsible for the accident and needs to be held accountable.

All that said, I don't know what the actual situation is so I will refrain from prejudging from this point forward until more details come out.

Reactions: Stand Witness

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
If I see one more major organization try to pay tribute to the Broncos at this point i'll puke. It is definitely putting a negative spin on the story imo.

It was embarrassing that TSN mentioned them again on FA Frenzy day. Let the families grieve now please, instead we are getting constant reminders about how 'sorry' people still feel.

I might be coming across harsh here but it sounds like using Humboldt has become a money grab at this point.

Also I would be fine with the drivers name not being released. It doesn't provide anything other than a target for someone who will already be paying the price.
Agreed. I dont mind that the tragedy is getting so much attention but it makes me sick how corporations like the nhl are using it to get positive pr.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
There’s a persistent rumour that he may have been texting at the time of the accident. Yeah, it’s just a rumour, but I’ve heard it from within RCMP circles. IF it’s true and can be proven to be true he’s as bad as an impaired driver and should be sentenced heavily. He won’t be...impaired drivers get not much more than a slap on the wrists all too often. That isn’t right either. There’s simple negligence, which is running a Stop sign, and there’s gross negligence, which is texting and driving or impaired driving. I hope his sentence appropriately reflects the situation

If it’s simple negligence then it doesn’t make sense to hand out a sentence that destroys his and his family’s lives. But if it’s gross negligence he should pay a stiff price. Until the details come out in the trial we won’t know which is the case.
please dont speculate and post unconfirmed rumor's

Rinkrat

Feb 11, 2007
please dont speculate and post unconfirmed rumor's
Rumours by nature are unconfirmed. If they’re confirmed they become facts. I wouldn’t post a rumour if it’s frivolous, but the RCMP sources I’ve heard if from are substantial enough to raise it above a frivolous rumour.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Rumours by nature are unconfirmed. If they’re confirmed they become facts. I wouldn’t post a rumour if it’s frivolous, but the RCMP sources I’ve heard if from are substantial enough to raise it above a frivolous rumour.
Anyone can claim this. Probably shouldn't broadcast specifics that haven't been released to the public

Reactions: flamesforcup

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Unfortunately he should've thought of that himself. Too many people abuse their rights in this Country and take advantage of what has been given to them.

Maybe next time people will think and learn from this mistake.

Don't need to start making it easier on criminals.

Thought of what? Take advantage of what? He ran a red light. Have you ever ran a stop sign? Red light? Made a mistake driving? Are you also a criminal?

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Thought of what? Take advantage of what? He ran a red light. Have you ever ran a stop sign? Red light? Made a mistake driving? Are you also a criminal?
If we play the "have you ever" game things get pretty dumb. Do you defend everyone that picks up a manslaughter charge?

To answer your question, I'm sure there's not a ton of people out there that have run stop signs/red lights going 100+km/h

Apr 9, 2009
USA
[mod]

The driver has to live with the consequences of his actions. If what he did was illegal and resulted in death, he should and will be punished accordingly. It doesn't mean he's a bad person, it means he made a tragic mistake. But law is law, and if you broke it and something catastrophic like this happened, you can't just say "have you ever broken the law?" because that's just a horrible comparison to what happened.

Last edited by a moderator:

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
If we play the "have you ever" game things get pretty dumb. Do you defend everyone that picks up a manslaughter charge?

To answer your question, I'm sure there's not a ton of people out there that have run stop signs/red lights going 100+km/h

It was on a highway. What's the speed limit on a highway? I'm guessing 100km. Sounds like a tragic mistake missing a stop sign. Something I Thi k we've all done before in our lives. Thankfully most people don't have to live with the consequences of ruining so many lives.

It will be interesting to see what happens when a tragedy like this happens. I doubt he was drunk or on drugs like countless other nhl players have been over the years behind the wheel.

If it was just an accident on the driver's part, which I think it was, not sure what the implications would be.

Reactions: flamesforcup

Captain And Coke

Apr 29, 2011
The driver has to live with the consequences of his actions. If what he did was illegal and resulted in death, he should and will be punished accordingly. It doesn't mean he's a bad person, it means he made a tragic mistake. But law is law, and if you broke it and something catastrophic like this happened, you can't just say "have you ever broken the law?" because that's just a horrible comparison to what happened.

Exactly.

Most of us have made mistakes while driving. Most of us don't kill 16 innocent people when we do.

I drive the rural highways of northern Alberta and Saskatchewan pretty frequently. Intersections like the one the accident occurred at are fairly common up here as well. A stop sign with flashing red lights and rumble strips is very noticeable to a driver properly paying attention to the surroundings.

He'll have to live with this forever, but if this was all because he was impaired or distracted and should not have been driving at all, he should be living with this in a jail cell too.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Are you living in the same world as I am? People drive 130+ km/h every day in 90 km/h zones. I'm pretty sure missing a stop in those zones is a daily or at best weekly occurance (per region).

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
It was on a highway. What's the speed limit on a highway? I'm guessing 100km. Sounds like a tragic mistake missing a stop sign. Something I Thi k we've all done before in our lives. Thankfully most people don't have to live with the consequences of ruining so many lives.

It will be interesting to see what happens when a tragedy like this happens. I doubt he was drunk or on drugs like countless other nhl players have been over the years behind the wheel.

If it was just an accident on the driver's part, which I think it was, not sure what the implications would be.
You think everyone has ran a stop sign with a big flashing red light on the highway going 100+ KM/hr?

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Are you living in the same world as I am? People drive 130+ km/h every day in 90 km/h zones. I'm pretty sure missing a stop in those zones is a daily or at best weekly occurance (per region).
I definitely haven't seen it, or done it.

It's actually insane to me that people are defending this.

Do I think he should spend 20 years in prison? Absolutely not. I also don't think people should be defending the driver due to the fact they think "everyone has done it"

Reactions: sharkhawk

Captain And Coke

Apr 29, 2011

In a busy population heavy province like Ontario, maybe.

In rural Saskatchewan? Yearly at best would be more plausible.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
You think everyone has ran a stop sign with a big flashing red light on the highway going 100+ KM/hr?

No idea. For me it sounds pretty stupid to have a stop sign on a highway where I go 100km an hour. Am I suppose to stop on a dime?

I live in an urban area and see mistakes happen all the time. I was hit by a girl, entirely her fault and lucky neither of us injured.

She cried her eyes out and was so worried and glad I was ok.

Let's see what happens here. There are precedents for entirely accidents happening which is what I suspect this is. No drugs, alcohol etc.

The young man to my understanding had the credentials to drive a truck and was quite new at it.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
No idea. For me it sounds pretty stupid to have a stop sign on a highway where I go 100km an hour. Am I suppose to stop on a dime?

I live in an urban area and see mistakes happen all the time. I was hit by a girl, entirely her fault and lucky neither of us injured.

She cried her eyes out and was so worried and glad I was ok.

Let's see what happens here. There are precedents for entirely accidents happening which is what I suspect this is. No drugs, alcohol etc.

The young man to my understanding had the credentials to drive a truck and was quite new at it.
Just going to touch on your first sentence. I'm pretty sure there is flashing lights a good distance away from the stop sign advising drivers there is a stop sign ahead and to advise them to slow down.

Glad you made it out okay after your accident. I agree though, let's see what happens.

naruto

Nov 13, 2017
I cant believe ppl are saying this guy should go to jail... Unless he was drunk or something. Obviously this guy didnt go out to kill 16 ppl....

Theres other factors that are contributing to how ppl on here are reacting... All the 16 ppl killed happen to share one similarity..... I feel like ill get in trouble for even saying it... Im sorry but thats just how i feel...

Reactions: Paranoid Android

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I cant believe ppl are saying this guy should go to jail... Unless he was drunk or something. Obviously this guy didnt go out to kill 16 ppl....

Theres other factors that are contributing to how ppl on here are reacting... All the 16 ppl killed happen to share one similarity..... I feel like ill get in trouble for even saying it... Im sorry but thats just how i feel...

What awful logic. Aren't drunk drivers who crash head on into families just trying to get home from the bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad