SJHL Humboldt Broncos bus crash | 16 Killed, 13 Injured

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I definitely haven't seen it, or done it.

It's actually insane to me that people are defending this.

Do I think he should spend 20 years in prison? Absolutely not. I also don't think people should be defending the driver due to the fact they think "everyone has done it"

Never said I defended the driver, but claiming that what the driver did is a rare occurance is naive.

In a busy population heavy province like Ontario, maybe.

In rural Saskatchewan? Yearly at best would be more plausible.

Actually, it's probably more frequent in rural areas due to the scarceness of cops. The less chances of getting caught, the faster you go.

EDIT: Also highly probable the guy was used to crossing that intersection without anyone there, rendering the stop ''useless'' in his eyes so he didn't even look.

BTW, I am not defending the driver or the fact his name was released.

Captain And Coke

Apr 29, 2011
Also highly probable the guy was used to crossing that intersection without anyone there, rendering the stop ''useless'' in his eyes so he didn't even look.

If that's true on his part, he should feel free to explain that to the families of the victims.

I come across highway intersections like this one a lot where there is hardly any traffic, and I still manage to stop and look for oncoming traffic and not kill people.

If the safety of other people on the road concerning right of way and stopping when signage dictates it is useless in his eyes because it's not a busy intersection, then he deserves everything that is coming to him and he should never have been behind the wheel in the first place.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
If that's true on his part, he should feel free to explain that to the families of the victims.

I come across highway intersections like this one a lot where there is hardly any traffic, and I still manage to stop and look for oncoming traffic and not kill people.

If the safety of other people on the road concerning right of way and stopping when signage dictates it is useless in his eyes because it's not a busy intersection, then he deserves everything that is coming to him and he should never have been behind the wheel in the first place.

I agree with you. It was an hypothesis/explanation, not an excuse.

Captain And Coke

Apr 29, 2011
I agree with you. It was an hypothesis/explanation, not an excuse.

Fair enough.

I wasn't expecting charges, to be honest.

However, in light of the news, my hypothesis is now either distracted driving or impairment in the way of drowsiness. I would like to think he would not be so callous as to just blow through a highway stop sign without regard for other drivers.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I cant believe ppl are saying this guy should go to jail... Unless he was drunk or something. Obviously this guy didnt go out to kill 16 ppl....

Theres other factors that are contributing to how ppl on here are reacting... All the 16 ppl killed happen to share one similarity..... I feel like ill get in trouble for even saying it... Im sorry but thats just how i feel...
Drive dangerous is definitely an offence that can draw serious jail time, even for a first offender.

We don't really know the whole story. He might never be convicted, but if he is we'll have a better view of the facts. All I know is that if I'm in his shoes, I'm thinking there is a very real prospect of incarceration.

There are almost always aggravating or mitigating factors on sentence that are presently outside our knowledge, if and when a conviction is reached.

Co-incidentally, ten years pen time given today in a Saskatchewan court on a crim neg causing death conviction: Sask. man gets 10 years for crash that killed 3 Edmonton women | CBC News

Reactions: ManitobaKid

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I cant believe ppl are saying this guy should go to jail... Unless he was drunk or something. Obviously this guy didnt go out to kill 16 ppl....

Theres other factors that are contributing to how ppl on here are reacting... All the 16 ppl killed happen to share one similarity..... I feel like ill get in trouble for even saying it... Im sorry but thats just how i feel...
So you think it's fine to drive like an idiot and kill people and it shouldn't result in time behind bars?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Lol @ the folks suggesting the name shouldn't be released the same as the names of those facing trial for major crimes throughout history, that's just not how life works.

Such a ridiculous post. Obviously there needs to be severe punishment when negligence leads to multiple deaths, to suggest otherwise is completely insane. Has nothing to do with race or whatever other bullshit you're attempting to spin.

Last edited:
Reactions: FFHockey

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Lol @ the folks suggesting the name shouldn't be released the same as the names of those facing trial for major crimes throughout history, that's just not how life works.

Such a ridiculous post. Obviously there needs to be severe punishment when negligence leads to multiple deaths, to suggest otherwise is completely insane. Has nothing to do with race or whatever other bull**** you're attempting to spin.
Some real idiots in this thread

Psyfer

Mar 1, 2008
Toronto
Last edited:

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Co-incidentally, ten years pen time given today in a Saskatchewan court on a crim neg causing death conviction: Sask. man gets 10 years for crash that killed 3 Edmonton women | CBC News

To be fair that guy did not just run a stop sign and it doesn't state anywhere it's a first offense this sound like a career criminal finally getting the book thrown at him.

I imagine this could be a long drawn out affair if it goes to trial.
We don't really know what were the actions of the accused in the Humboldt bus crash. The outcome of the collision is not derminative of guilt or innocence -- for a dangerous driving charge its the actions that lead to the collision, and that information is not yet publicly known.

A plea bargain is much more likely than a trial, but either way we will all eventually find out what happened. Until then, it's best for everyone to reserve judgement.

This week's event are very significant, because it was never self-evident that criminal charges would even be laid. I'm sure the Saskatchewan Attorney-General's office put a lot of careful thought and deliberation into that decision. It changes the landscape.

Reactions: sharkhawk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad