Recalled/Assigned: Simon Edvinsson recalled

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
He played in 9 Regular season games last season and this season so far has 3, so if he plays 3 more this season he wont be eligible for the Calder next season.

Candidly, no reason to respond but my curiosity is in a scenario where he only plays in 2 more games this regular season. He is then returned to GR. Wings make the post season, boom he comes back up and plays. It would seem he would still be eligible for Calder

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Candidly, no reason to respond but my curiosity is in a scenario where he only plays in 2 more games this regular season. He is then returned to GR. Wings make the post season, boom he comes back up and plays. It would seem he would still be eligible for Calder
Yes, I believe only regular season games count against the Calder counter, for example Ken Dryden played 6 regular season games before 20 playoff games (won cup and Conn Symthe if I recall correctly) and then the Calder Trophy the next year, beating out LaFleur and Dionne (both set rookie records for goal and points that year). I don't think the Calder matters much to most of the players.

Reactions: heyfolks

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Simon doesn’t care about the Calder. He’s got his sights set higher, and because Seider is winning the Norris, Simon is going for the Art Ross

Norris is an offensive trophy, I think Ed has a better chance at it, though I think it's a really small chance for either. It's gonna be hard to beat Hughes and Makar, they're young PPG defensemen. Meanwhile Seider is #29 in D scoring.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Norris is an offensive trophy, I think Ed has a better chance at it, though I think it's a really small chance for either. It's gonna be hard to beat Hughes and Makar, they're young PPG defensemen. Meanwhile Seider is #29 in D scoring.

Seider will be at Norris race next year.

New contract and more offensive usage incoming.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

1711036033678.gif

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Yes, I believe only regular season games count against the Calder counter, for example Ken Dryden played 6 regular season games before 20 playoff games (won cup and Conn Symthe if I recall correctly) and then the Calder Trophy the next year, beating out LaFleur and Dionne (both set rookie records for goal and points that year). I don't think the Calder matters much to most of the players.
Thank you. I appreciate the education.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Hey guys I have a question...
If he plays 9 games he loses a year of his contract but if we send him down then make the playoffs and recall him do playoff games count towards the 9 games too? Like hypothetically if we make the playoffs and go on a deep run would he lose eligibility playing those games as well?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
If he plays 9 games he loses a year of his contract but if we send him down then make the playoffs and recall him do playoff games count towards the 9 games too? Like hypothetically if we make the playoffs and go on a deep run would he lose eligibility playing those games as well?

he's too old for the 9 game thing to apply to him at all anyways

the only Wings players currently signed to ELCs that are eligible for the slide are Danielson and Kasper

Reactions: heyfolks

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
If you are trying to talk about the calder for him, then he can't play 3 more games I guess. If he plays 2 more games and gets sent down but comes up during the playoffs, he would not lose eligibility to compete for the calder trophy.

If you are literally just talking about his contract, then as the other guy said, it doesn't apply to him

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007

the only Wings players currently signed to ELCs that are eligible for the slide are Danielson and Kasper

I know the name of the game on the board, and willingly accept it but I do appreciate the insight and knowledge some bring to the discussion.

The bolded word is part of the game.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Eliminating Calder eligibility could play into lowering Ed's rookie bonus. He has 850k potential rookie bonus and with him being a top 10 pick, I'd be shocked if part of that wasn't Calder winning/finalist based.

As for the above Seider Norris bit. If Seider develops his physical game and gets to 50ish points I think he can absolutely compete with the Makars, Hughes, etc. He needs the flash of a physical game to compete with the less points. Stick defenders don't get nearly the same attention as checking guys. It's one of the reasons it took Lids so long to get recognition for his defensive game.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Seider will be at Norris race next year.

New contract and more offensive usage incoming.

Seider isn't gonna be a PPG player, even with PP1 time. Seider has 17 PP points vs 25 for Ghost . He literally needs to double his output to be in contention with Hughes and Makar, which means he'd have to play PP1 AND PP2. The only player I can think of who does that is Ovechkin, and he camps out in the circle the entire time.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I am very curious how they choose to deploy Edvinsson and Seider full time next year. I think Seider could help Edvinsson a lot development wise but a lot of teams split the power pair. Yzerman seems to favor that in his past, but I am fascinated to see what the partner pairing will be for 24-25.

Reactions: Henkka

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

Oh I thought that was Berggren's situation but I think that was for waiver exemption I was misconstruing...

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
If I am Claude Lemieux and Seider I am making this point. Yzerman might have been up to this to keep the contract down is probably a point I would make when looking at term.

He was like ppg through the first 20 games with 1st pp time at start of the year (Seider). Then he was mysteriously put onto pp2 qb. I bet it was to keep his deal down. I'm not saying he will maintain a .9-1.0ppg avg. But it could be very reasonable for a jump to 55-65 points in a year with 80 games played with steady #1pp time.

I think they should keep them separate unless OT or a key pp/pk to hopefully stabilize two pairs.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I am very curious how they choose to deploy Edvinsson and Seider full time next year. I think Seider could help Edvinsson a lot development wise but a lot of teams split the power pair. Yzerman seems to favor that in his past, but I am fascinated to see what the partner pairing will be for 24-25.

Walman is too soft and loses too many puck battles to be on a first pair. He did however take an AHLer, Oesterle, and make him look like a legit NHL 3rd pair D. Assuming Ghost is gone, it makes sense to pair Walman with Holl to compensate for Holl's deficiencies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad