Recalled/Assigned: Simon Edvinsson recalled

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Nice.

They still continued using him with Petry. I think this carries for next season. Chiarot stayed with Seider.

And this gives a strong 3rd pair, when Walman is there.

Defence is currently as good as it can possibly be.
Nope.

1. Chiarot is on the top pairing.
2. Petry is on the 2nd pairing.
3. Maatta isn't in the lineup.

The three worst defenders on the team are RD. Bench two of them, keep the 3rd on the 3rd pairing and move a LD to the 2nd pairing RD spot. If that puts 5 left shooting D on the roster, so be it.

The single biggest hole this team has is the 2nd pairing RD. And I say this with our current center/goalie depth...

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Is Simon with the team until the end of the year?
I suspect he is up until the wings are knocked out of the playoffs or the race, he is eligible to return to GR for their playoffs, he is not Calder Trophy eligible next year so no urgency to send him down, keep him where he belongs, great experience for him, might get to be part of two playoffs this season.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
No longer eligible for the Calder, he'll remain in Detroit until the regular season ends. Down or up depends on his play, Walman's health and the play of the bubble players. That being said it is pretty clear Holl is out and Petry is gaining favor. I think he may go back down, where he will log 25 minutes a night fighting for the other Calder.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Already inching up to the 3rd highest ice time for the D. Seeing him out there with Seider had my Wings red shades fogging up. Imagine those two out there to close out a game in the last minute, or to be your 1-1 punch so the other top line will always face one or the other. He used that time in GR wisely. As I said in another thread, within 2 years we will be debating which one of the two is better.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Already inching up to the 3rd highest ice time for the D. Seeing him out there with Seider had my Wings red shades fogging up. Imagine those two out there to close out a game in the last minute, or to be your 1-1 punch so the other top line will always face one or the other. He used that time in GR wisely. As I said in another thread, within 2 years we will be debating which one of the two is better.

I think you're right. Edvinsson has the makings of a tremendous two-way guy but I think we're not going to see either Seider or Edvinsson really unlock their offensive potential under the current coach. Lalonde seems pretty conservative when it comes to allowing defensemen to jump up.

Reactions: Oddbob and heyfolks

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Ed has looked very good in this stint so far. Had he not gotten hurt at the end of last year I bet he would have made the roster at the start of this year.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
His defensive play has been very good. But he's not going to put up a lot of points with the team playing the way they are. It just won't happen when the guy you're breaking the puck out to is going to dump it in with 100% certainty.
We have been top 3/5 offensive team in the league all season long.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
I think you're right. Edvinsson has the makings of a tremendous two-way guy but I think we're not going to see either Seider or Edvinsson really unlock their offensive potential under the current coach. Lalonde seems pretty conservative when it comes to allowing defensemen to jump up.

That will change once some fire power is added up front and he has two top 2 D men.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
He gives skinny, young, raw, slicker with the puck, Hedman vibes. How many points would he have had in the SHL this year?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

This is my worry and has been all along with Lalonde. Wants a certain style rather than letting the skill guys do their thing.

We have been top 3/5 offensive team in the league all season long.

I think more by luck than skill honestly. With the current players I don't think we maintain good offence on a year to year basis.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Ed and Seider are going to be an absolute menace for years to come. If we can even get them decent partners we'd be able to go potentially 50 out of 60 minutes a night with one of them on the ice. That is going to be huge.

Ed's passing is just so fluid. Once guys get used to that and start flying up the ice when he has the puck, I think we are going to see a lot more odd man rushes and breakaways. We haven't really had a dman that can consistently connect on long ice passes like him since Lids retired. Right now the guys are so used to it being dumped up the boards that they aren't prepared for the break. I think this throws Seider off a bit too, but I think Ed is the more natural passer of the two.

I really like how this team is shaping up long term. I think we'll be past Larkin's prime by the time we really compete but I think we are building very much like Boston. Seider is a #1, Ed I think screams #1 potential and would be very surprised if they both weren't 25 min a night anchors. Then with Cossa coming on you have that potential for a huge dominant goalie. Then we have Kasper, Larkin, and Danielson as our two way centers. Ray needs to continue developing offensively into that dominant winger, but I really do think we have the pieces to compete. Building through defense and the back end overall is the way to compete long term in this capped league. Unless you can luck into a Malkin/Crosby kind of combo it is really hard to remain good for an extended period of time building through your forwards. They cost too much too quickly now.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
There's a good reason for that the way this roster is constructed now. You need your D to be mostly good skaters so if something goes wrong when the D activate they can have 2 D back quickly. Seider and Ed are good skaters, but imagine if we're reliant on Petry or Chiarot to hustle back to break up a 2 on 1.
I've actually noticed that Ed and Seider jump up a lot more than other D. I wouldn't be surprised if those two have the green light to use their skill to bend the system a bit. Kind of like how Larkin, Raymond, Kane, and Cat skate the puck in for entries way more than anyone else.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It might not even be a "green light" so much as no other D on the team are talented enough to see and take the opportunities when they are there. For all of the concern about Lalonde's system suffocating guys, I think we also just have some pretty limited guys back there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad