Recalled/Assigned: Simon Edvinsson recalled

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
I was 50/50 on deadline sell vs buy. I was opposed to GR promotions. I still am. The reality is, if they make it, this team is first round playoff fodder. The future lies with a host of prospects in GR. Their leaders are Simon and Jonatan. They, and over-all the Wings, are better served with them going on a deep run in the AHL.

I get the counter is this makes the Wings better, post season revenue and the taste for the young guns in Detroit is also a benefit. I believe Simon can still go down and play in GR if the Wings are eliminated (but my knowledge here is minimal). JB is close to being ineligible for AHL post season play.

Reactions: DamonDRW

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Does this mean Yzerman has given up on the season?
Just the opposite, Ed is an emergency call up, Walman is day to day (lower body) and one other D-man under the weather (Holl sit next to Ras in the locker room ?) I do see Austin was set to the roster, so we’ll see how long Ed is here 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: jaster

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
I was 50/50 on deadline sell vs buy. I was opposed to GR promotions. I still am. The reality is, if they make it, this team is first round playoff fodder. The future lies with a host of prospects in GR. Their leaders are Simon and Jonatan. They, and over-all the Wings, are better served with them going on a deep run in the AHL.

I get the counter is this makes the Wings better, post season revenue and the taste for the young guns in Detroit is also a benefit. I believe Simon can still go down and play in GR if the Wings are eliminated (but my knowledge here is minimal). JB is close to being ineligible for AHL post season play.
Both are still eligible to play for GR, but after 1 more game, JB will have to clear waivers, if Ed plays 4, he will not be Calder Trophy eligible next year, no big deal unless it is a huge bonus for him

Reactions: heyfolks

OneMoreTry

Sep 26, 2021
Is that supposed to be "he isn't afraid of big games?"

Because that's a little more inspiring than hearing that he's not afraid of names like Yegor Sharangovich or Oliver Ekman-Larsson.

He just translated a german phrase word by word, because he thought it's the same in English.

I took "big names" to mean like prominent star players or whatever but I like yours more

That's exactly what it means. :thumbu:

Last edited:
Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

PavelDatsyuk13DET

Jun 21, 2019
caught most of the game and Ed looked steady back there. I only saw one play where he got muscled off the puck but other than that, he made good passes and was solid defensively. He definitely needs to stay in the NHL to help our playoff chances.

Reactions: DamonDRW

Chris Langlois

Jan 31, 2022
caught most of the game and Ed looked steady back there. I only saw one play where he got muscled off the puck but other than that, he made good passes and was solid defensively. He definitely needs to stay in the NHL to help our playoff chances.
Completely agree. Even lalonde said simon added something to the team tonight. What I noticed was what I have been saying all year. He is so good at the transition game. Retrieving pucks and not just dumping them around the boards but also often looking to shoot the puck up with a nice quick outlet pass, which he did very well. At one point he almost sprung someone on a breakaway.

Petry actually had his best game in a long time tonight. Him and Ed showed good chemistry and Ed's skating is a big reason. Going forward I'd keep big Ben with seider, keep simon with petry and then play walman with ghost on the 3rd pair.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
I was really impressed with Ed today. I always loved his defensive game but thought his play with the puck was very inconsistent but today he showed how well he has developed. Some oustanding passing to go along with his strong defensive play. He definitely should stay in the lineup as I'd argue, based on today, that he is quite easily the 2nd best dman on the team right now, and if this team is serious about not sucking, then there is no reason for him to go back to GR.

Minor nitpicking time: There's one thing I'd like to see him improve and that is to keep his feet moving when he gets the puck in offensive zone as he likes to glide and lose his speed instead. That allows the defensive system to stabilize and that limits his options greatly. He often have to rely on a simple shot and hope it gets through or a simple pass around that doesn't help the play develop because the middle of the ice gets cluttered. Moving his feet would force defensive coverage to potentially break down and create more offensive opportunities for him.

But wow was he great, and every time he got the puck back defensively, I just knew the puck was soon quickly going back the other way. Keep him up and just let him get used to NHL speed and you've soon got another top dman on your hands.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
It is a literal breath of fresh air to see such a young player make the impact he did today. Not that it's surprising, it's just literally getting tiresome of watching the same gaffes and lack of toughness from our D. To have not just one massive beast on D that can skate with skill but TWO is fun as hell man.

Not that Edvinsson was amazing, because he needs consistent NHL time to show that, but he was clear our 2nd best defenseman showing tonight. Nowhere but up to go for this dude.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Honestly, other than a few "rub-outs" he did to the opposition in the corners, I didn't notice him too much.

That is a very good thing btw. Your not supposed to notice your defenseman too much in the game. Never hearing their name or hearing it very seldom is a fantastic sign.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Gonna be a gut punch when he gets sent down again
ricky-bobby.gif

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It's only an emergency loan, so I expect him to be sent back.
I can see the exchange now...

NHL Front Office: Hi Steve. What brings you in?

Yzerman: I need an extension on the emergency call-up for Simon Edvinsson.

Front Office: Hmm. That's highly unusual. What are the extenuating circumstances?

Yzerman: Half my roster is still playing like crap. I need the kid to help us make the playoffs.

Front Office: I'm sorry, Steve. That's not a qualified scenario for emergency call-ups.

(Yzerman glares across the counter.)

Yzerman: That's a shame. Because I don't remember it being a qualified scenario during the 2005 GM meetings in Cancun either. That night when you had a little misunderstanding after a few too many tequila shots? Yeah, that was quite the mess, having to sneak out the back of the bar and hide from...

Front Office: OK OK! No need to rehash old and LONG FORGOTTEN events. What do you know, I seem to have found the right form for an extension on an emergency call-up! If you'll just sign here and here, I can take care of everything.

Yzerman: Thanks. Have a great afternoon.

Chris Langlois

Jan 31, 2022
It's only an emergency loan, so I expect him to be sent back.
Lalonde said yesterday that that doesn't mean ed will be sent down and could stay up if he helps the team. He definitely had a positive impact last night and lalonde seemed happy with his game so hopefully he stays.

Reactions: RRhoads

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Honestly, other than a few "rub-outs" he did to the opposition in the corners, I didn't notice him too much.

That is a very good thing btw. Your not supposed to notice your defenseman too much in the game. Never hearing their name or hearing it very seldom is a fantastic sign.

Agreed. I mostly didn't notice him and the few times I didn't it wasn't for something horrible.

For a young player in his first game back to the NHL and playing 18 and a half minutes, that's great.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Agreed. I mostly didn't notice him and the few times I didn't it wasn't for something horrible.

For a young player in his first game back to the NHL and playing 18 and a half minutes, that's great.
honestly, was not expecting you to say that he played 18.5 minutes. I would have guessed closer to 13 or 14 with how much i didn't notice him. Wow.

He was on the pk that one time (i think just once), so theres some extra minutes there...wow 18.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad