Rumor: Simmons: Coyotes Interested in Marleau

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
It was stated in toronto media he wants to play in California, so im assuming kings or sharks AZ isnt far from there so that could be a back up destination

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
"Anymore"? Dude probably throws 10 hits a season. Only time he ever hit regularly was under Sutter who demanded it of everyone.

Im not talking about hitting. He wont win a board battle at all anymore. He avoids all contact now.

I realize he was never a physical player, but its all gone now.

That and the hands being gone mean his NHL days are pretty much done. He effectively lost his job in Toronto to AHL call up Trevor Moore.

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
He really struggled to produce on the Leafs. Think of our offensive talent and the calibre of player he had to play with.

His skating is still good, but his hand are gone and he does not engage physically whatsoever anymore

....anymore ?

Marleau should just retire.

Same with Thornton. Time to call it quits, boys.

Reactions: Jakey53

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Toronto would have happily kept without without the cap hit issue.

We would have kept him, but I don't know if happy is how I'd put it. He was basically the definition of a straight-line, zero creativity blackhole last year despite playing with the talent that he did- so Leaf fans wouldn't love the idea.

The only reason why you could even make a case for his worth is intangibles, but I'm not sure that resonates very well with Leaf fans because A) we know how Babcock would deploy him , B) He would want to play all 82 games with said deployment. The word I'd use instead of happy is "grudgingly"

Babcock might be happy about the idea

I'm not sure Dubas would

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I like the wysh theory on this. Patty goes to Arizona where he plays a couple years, they then transition him to coach where, a few years later, he can lure his bff Matthews to go back home to the desert. Playing the long game.

I've never seen this site fantasize about a player leaving a team in UFA like Matthews and the Leafs. Some of you guys just want Leaf fans to suffer.

I wonder how much of an effect that his family wanted out of Ontario did to his production?

Probably not as much as him being 40 years old had.

The Sharks aren't letting Thornton walk. Doug Wilson, Peter DeBoer, and Thornton himself have made it very clear that he will be back with San Jose for next season.

By contrast, the Sharks have been completely noncommittal with Marleau. Doug Wilson and Peter DeBoer have both been asked about Marleau, and neither directly answered the question.

I can't blame them. Marleau bailed on the organization that was his home his entire career for a few extra bucks, and now expects them to welcome him back with open arms. Sorry, but everyone else will get theirs first, and if there is any left, then you can maybe get some.

As a person in the room? Absolutely. As a player on the ice? I doubt it. We're at the point where Babcock needed his toys taken away from him. Marleau played more ice time than Matthews and Nylander a lot of nights, with equal PP time to Tavares, Marner, Matthews, and Kadri. He was routinely played in key moments, right up until Babcock sat Matthews on the bench in game 7 to put Marleau over the boards, only to be quoted after saying "We thought Marleau should be out there".

By the end of the year, he couldn't even accept a basic pass. That is not hyperbole by the way. Every single play died on his stick. He looked completely gassed every single shift. He put up a 30 point pace after xmas and that is being fed minutes with some of the best offensive talent going and filled with PP time.

He is done as anything other than a 4th line energy guy. If someone signs him under the pretense he can play a top 9 role effectively for 82 games, you are going to have a bad time. The only time he looked good was the first month of last year and after the Xmas and allstar breaks, yet refused to miss games to rest into the playoffs because of his iron man streak and that selfishness contributed to the playoff loss where he was useless once again.

Reactions: Jakey53 and Slyfox

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
We would have kept him, but I don't know if happy is how I'd put it. He was basically the definition of a straight-line, zero creativity blackhole last year despite playing with the talent that he did- so Leaf fans wouldn't love the idea.

The only reason why you could even make a case for his worth is intangibles, but I'm not sure that resonates very well with Leaf fans because A) we know how Babcock would deploy him , B) He would want to play all 82 games with said deployment. The word I'd use instead of happy is "grudgingly"

Babcock might be happy about the idea

I'm not sure Dubas would

IF he would come back on A 4th line only basis. I could see it. But family comes first at this point. I don’t see why he would come back this way. 3 time zones and international travel is crazy for him.

Unless the family thing was a ruse.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
At this point he'll bring literally nothing to a team you couldn't get from a journeyman forward 10-15 years younger (and therefore still has upside and/or you can flip at the deadline for late round picks if the playoffs are out of reach).

As far as "good locker room guy", sure, if you want him to show the young 'uns how to play an entire 60-minute game avoiding any physical contact with an opposing player whatsoever. Nice guy, sure, but one of the last guys I'd want making an impression on the future of the team.

He should probably just let it go and retire if he's adamant he'll only play close to home - apparently, none of those teams want him. If the ironman streak is what's keeping him going, he may have to settle playing for whatever team will have him ... and one that has a coach willing to play him 82 games no matter how ineffective he is. Good luck with that, Patty.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If you’re a team looking to bring some veteran leadership to your bottom six and you’re considering Boyle or Maroon, than there’s no reason Marleau should not also be in that mix.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Steve Simmons is a schmuck! He reeks of someone who knows little or nothing about anything related to hockey or the happenings around it.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa

Eh.. I don’t know how happily.

If you don’t look at his salary, he was still extremely underwhelming, and didn’t bring it into the playoffs either.

I felt like all he was good at doing was skating in a straight line. He didn’t contribute physically, and he started turning into a black hole offensively.

I’m happier knowing the Leafs have signed several younger forwards to compete for bottom six wing positions with our internal candidates, than to have to see Marleau again next year. Especially considering he would probably take another step back.

As a guy in the room I’m sure he’s valuable to a team, but I don’t think that outweighs his negative on ice impact.

Who knows, he could sign with a team and have a resurgence, but that would be quite surprising.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
He should sign a one day contract with the Sharks to retire, then take some kind of FO job with them.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
"Anymore"? Dude probably throws 10 hits a season. Only time he ever hit regularly was under Sutter who demanded it of everyone.

big difference between being engaged with the physical play and throwing hits...Marleau doesnt even go to the dirty areas anymore

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
He should go to Arizona. Provide some solid veteran leadership for a young team that could use it.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
I've never seen this site fantasize about a player leaving a team in UFA like Matthews and the Leafs. Some of you guys just want Leaf fans to suffer.

Probably not as much as him being 40 years old had.

I can't blame them. Marleau bailed on the organization that was his home his entire career for a few extra bucks, and now expects them to welcome him back with open arms. Sorry, but everyone else will get theirs first, and if there is any left, then you can maybe get some.

As a person in the room? Absolutely. As a player on the ice? I doubt it. We're at the point where Babcock needed his toys taken away from him. Marleau played more ice time than Matthews and Nylander a lot of nights, with equal PP time to Tavares, Marner, Matthews, and Kadri. He was routinely played in key moments, right up until Babcock sat Matthews on the bench in game 7 to put Marleau over the boards, only to be quoted after saying "We thought Marleau should be out there".

By the end of the year, he couldn't even accept a basic pass. That is not hyperbole by the way. Every single play died on his stick. He looked completely gassed every single shift. He put up a 30 point pace after xmas and that is being fed minutes with some of the best offensive talent going and filled with PP time.

He is done as anything other than a 4th line energy guy. If someone signs him under the pretense he can play a top 9 role effectively for 82 games, you are going to have a bad time. The only time he looked good was the first month of last year and after the Xmas and allstar breaks, yet refused to miss games to rest into the playoffs because of his iron man streak and that selfishness contributed to the playoff loss where he was useless once again.
This is all that needs to be said regarding Marleau. He's done and his selfishness cost us games. Him plus Babcock loving to play his pets over better players means GMs should be vary of getting him as he will take mins over more deserving players. Dubas was smart getting rid of all of Babcock's pets this year and its time for Marleau to hang up the skates. He's a fifth liner now at best.

Reactions: Kamiccolo

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If you’re a team looking to bring some veteran leadership to your bottom six and you’re considering Boyle or Maroon, than there’s no reason Marleau should not also be in that mix.
Who said the Yotes are considering Boyle or Maroon? Marleau is done. We have enough veteran leadership, do not need a 40 yo. washed up player. Give the kids the ice time.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I wouldn't even sign a one day to let him retire a Shark. He burned his bridge, to hell with him (and I'm not even a Sharks fan, you don't bail like that). Take the deal in Az, it's the only one you're getting.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Would have been nicer if Marleau waived his NMC to go to the Coyotes and play the year. They might have been able to move something less than a 1st to do that

Coyotes would've needed to move a contract for that. They're right at the cap. Even after Hossa goes to IR they couldn't fit marleau's cap hit.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Toronto fans, is this source reliable?

The Sharks have always been a very tight lipped organization. It would be normal the Sharks to wait until they are ready and announce Jumbo and Patty are signed at the same time. That’s still what I expect to happen. The fact that Patty hasn’t signed yet means nothing.

Why on earth would SJ want these old players? I still don't see why they would sign them. This is not a charity. I don't get why a team would allocate ice time to these guys when they can play much younger players with higher upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad