Rumor: Simmons: Coyotes Interested in Marleau

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
So many Leaf fans believed in a secret handshake deal where Marleau would fake an injury in his final year of the contract, it was ****ing ridiculous. That contract is 100% on Lou. It shouldn't have been three years at that average. I said it the day the contract was signed.

That said, I don't know how many of the Cali teams will actually want him at this point. He's just not a very good player anymore. His skating and shot have regressed, he's kind of an offensive black hole at this point of his career. I don't think he's a top nine player anymore. Maybe a team will want him on the fourth line at league minimum, but is Marleau willing to break the ironman streak if a team isn't ready to play him 82 games? Idk.

I definitely think that at least one of the Southern California teams would want him at this stage. They're both re-building and teams place a premium on veteran players with leadership. They both have weaker depth than Carolina and Carolina wanted Marleau.

Calm down. I was reffering to if he forced his way out and then just retires anyways it would be a big F U. They had to move a first because he wouldn't go to any team, he had to be bought out to go back to SJ. If he forces a deal under those circumstances, and then just retires afterwords, it means the Leafs were forced to pay a first for no reason.

They could have just dealt him anywhere if he was retiring because it's dead cap. That would be a massive dick move.

I'm plenty calm, I just wanted to make a few things loud and clear. And to make them loud and clear again:

1. He did not force his way out. (He didn't even want to leave.)

2. He's not just going to retire anyway.

3. If he were retiring, the optics of the "dead cap" trade would not change in any way, shape, or form. If anything, Carolina would've been less likely to make the trade, or they would've asked for more assets, since they would know there wasn't even the slightest possibility that he might play for them.

Reactions: Erep

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I definitely think that at least one of the Southern California teams would want him at this stage. They're both re-building and teams place a premium on veteran players with leadership. They both have weaker depth than Carolina and Carolina wanted Marleau.

I'm plenty calm, I just wanted to make a few things loud and clear. And to make them loud and clear again:

1. He did not force his way out. (He didn't even want to leave.)

2. He's not just going to retire anyway.

3. If he were retiring, the optics of the "dead cap" trade would not change in any way, shape, or form. If anything, Carolina would've been less likely to make the trade, or they would've asked for more assets, since they would know there wasn't even the slightest possibility that he might play for them.

Hmm...

1. Source? He asked for a trade because his family were going back home.

2. Of course not, my entire post is under the pretense that he did because the Sharks don't want him.

3. Of course it would. He isn't paid his money just owed a cap hit, so you aren't paying the extra for the owner to pay out for a buyout.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Hmm...

2. Of course not, my entire post is under the pretense that he did because the Sharks don't want him.

3. Of course it would. He isn't paid his money just owed a cap hit, so you aren't paying the extra for the owner to pay out for a buyout.

He would also not have to be traded before the buyout deadline which would have also allowed us to pay his bonus, reducing the cost for moving him.

Going from "somewhere closer to San Jose" to "Only San Jose, or a buy out" was unequivocally a dick move. Especially when he changed his mind so close to the buyout deadline.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
....anymore ?

Marleau should just retire.

Same with Thornton. Time to call it quits, boys.
Clearly you didn't watch Jumbo the last season. 50 points in 70 games on the 3rd line. If he had at least one winger who was a good possession player he would have had even more. Would have had a better playoff too. Yeah they could manage his games played better, maybe no back to backs but he was one of the best 3rd line centers in the league last season. At some point maybe he moves to 4th line center and he'll be one of the best there too.
I wouldn't even sign a one day to let him retire a Shark. He burned his bridge, to hell with him (and I'm not even a Sharks fan, you don't bail like that). Take the deal in Az, it's the only one you're getting.
What are you even talking about? What bridge did he burn? DW has said he has no problem with Patty taking the stupid amount of money that TO paid him. TO offered him almost double what the Sharks did plus it was for 3 years instead of 2. Sorry, your comment isn't based on any currently known fact about the situation.
big difference between being engaged with the physical play and throwing hits...Marleau doesnt even go to the dirty areas anymore
Again... he never did. He's always been a perimeter player who relied on his elite wrist shot and skating ability. He always been a mediocre stick handler. Anytime he dangled anyone was a surprise to everyone, even himself. His passing is fine. From what I've seen he can still shoot and he still skates well enough to play in the bottom 6. He just needs someone on his line to be the F1. If he signs with the Sharks it'll be for $1mil. He's already getting paid next season whether he plays or not.

Last edited:

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Sharks are really dumb to not want him back, Thornton and Marleau winning a cup their last year in the NHL, together, would have too much karma behind it not to happen. Like Bourque with Avs. They could just get him for 700k and have him as the 14th forward

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
PATRICK MARLEAU HAS NOT MISSED ONE HOCKEY GAME IN 10 SEASONS.

Do you guys not realize that you can't just "Robidas Island" a player who is obviously not suffering from injuries of any kind? You think Patrick Marleau, perfectly healthy, is just going to walk into a doctor's office and a doctor is going to say "hey, I think I'm injured." And you think the doctor is going to say "okay, let me risk all of my medical credentials by saying that you are injured and unable to play with absolutely no evidence to defend it."? That's ridiculous. Not everything is Maple Leafs fantasy land where doctors and healthy hockey players bend over and risk everything to take care of your salary cap situation.

Beyond that, it doesn't appear as though you've even read the title of this thread. The Arizona Coyotes want to sign him. The Carolina Hurricanes also wanted him to play for them. His first choice was San Jose, but if it's not San Jose, he will sign in Arizona or elsewhere near San Jose. He is not retiring.

He had one more year with a contending team on his contract, and he had a full no move clause. He didn't want to leave, and he made that clear in his post-season presser. Despite this, when he was asked to waive his NMC, he agreed to do so, under the condition that he would either be traded to an area near California, or to a team that would immediately buy him out of his contract.

He did absolutely nothing wrong to your team. He wanted to play for another season, and your GM wanted to trade a player with a full NMC. That kind of thing isn't always easy. Blame Lou for signing that garbage ****ing contract and blame Dubas for paying a premium to get rid of just one year of it. This isn't Marleau's fault in any way.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

You rule dude. Bravo.
Sharks are really dumb to not want him back, Thornton and Marleau winning a cup their last year in the NHL, together, would have too much karma behind it not to happen. Like Bourque with Avs. They could just get him for 700k and have him as the 14th forward
There is no proof that the Sharks don't want him.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Hmm...

Maple Leafs’ Kyle Dubas faces a Patrick Marleau conundrum - Sportsnet.ca

Marleau fully intends to ride out the final year of his cap-crunching contract, the third season that helped Babcock and then-GM Lou Lamoriello lure him away from San Jose when the 15-time 20-goal man hit the open market in July 2017, the deal new GM Kyle Dubas must stickhandle around with delicacy.

“I haven’t heard otherwise. It’d be good to be back and continue with this group,” Marleau said. “The results weren’t what I expected or what I’ve come accustomed to. That’s on me, and I know I can do better.

“So, it’s an opportunity to come back next year and prove that I still have it, and I feel confident in my abilities to do that.”

We feel confident that should Marleau indeed return, someone else in the top nine, someone on the upswing — Kasperi Kapanen? Andreas Johnsson? William Nylander? — must go as the home-run deals of Marleau’s foster sons, Auston Matthews and Mitchell Marner, kick in like thunder.

“That’s tough to swallow, being a tight group,” said Marleau, realizing the domino effect of his fulfilling no-movement contract he earned fair and square.

“That’s going to be something to Kyle. That’s his job.”

And if Dubas were to approach him with a trade proposal?

“Then we’d have to cross that bridge,” Marleau said. “It’s tough to speculate."

He never asked for a trade. It was Toronto that approached him and when they did, he did more than what was required of him in order to help them facilitate a trade. He took the risk of leaving a contending team, knowing full well that he may not be signed by San Jose or any other contending team, and that he might have to play for a team like Arizona.

He did not need to waive his NMC, and he could have easily decided not to do so, and to play out his contract with the team that he knew had a chance at the Cup. That would've been much easier for him for a multitude of reasons. Despite that, when the team approached him, he decided to waive his NMC in order to help that team keep the rest of their players together. He deserves nothing but respect from Toronto's fan base.

Last edited:
Reactions: crassbonanza

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Maple Leafs’ Kyle Dubas faces a Patrick Marleau conundrum - Sportsnet.ca

He never asked for a trade. It was Toronto that approached him and when they did, he did more than what was required of him in order to help them facilitate a trade. He took the risk of leaving a contending team, knowing full well that he may not be signed by San Jose or any other contending team, and that he might have to play for a team like Arizona.

He did not need to waive his NMC, and he could have easily decided not to do so, and to play out his contract with the team that he knew had a chance at the Cup. That would've been much easier for him for a multitude of reasons. Despite that, when the team approached him, he decided to waive his NMC in order to help that team keep the rest of their players together. He deserves nothing but respect from Toronto's fan base.

And he has gotten that. Again, we are talking about a hypothetical scenario here but you are acting as if I claimed it as a prediction or fact.

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
I wonder how much Simmons actually knows about this and how much he's just making an educated guess based on what's happened so far.

His claim about knowing what the sharks do or do not want makes me think he’s just guessing. He didn’t hear that from the Sharks cause they don’t leak, so unless Marleau’s agent called him up to tell him that...

Reactions: themelkman

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
No, many Leaf fans believed there was a secret handshake where he would waive his NMC in the final year to allow them to fit in the salary of the kids. He did do that, but only if he would be bought out.

There were definitely people who thought Marleau would be on "Robidas island," I know because I argued with a bunch of them. :laugh:

If there was a secret handshake deal to waive the NMC in the final year of his contract (why does the NMC even exist in the first place if that's the case...?), it would've still been short sighted by Lou. Marleau's contact had negative value. It's a moot point though, to me it seems fairly obvious the request for trade was unplanned, and frankly, it helped us out even though it cost us.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I bet Simmons speculated because of the photo that was taken in Scottsdale.
He'll probably sign when Jumbo Joe signs.

This is probably exactly what happened. Like the stories of Sundin's degenerative hip condition and Kessel's 5k march to a specific hotdog stand, this is most likely another fictional story by Steve Simmons.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
If Simmons had his own hockey magazine it would be in the checkout line at your grocery store beside the National Inquirer aka he's trash.

Also, I loved having Patty on the Leafs and he was really good the first year, maybe not so great last season, but he is still an NHL player for sure and I think he was a great influence on the Leafs young guys.

Hope he gets to go back to San Jose like he wants. But he'll definitely land a job somewhere unless he would prefer to retire if he can't get a deal near his family.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad