Rumor: Simmons: Coyotes Interested in Marleau

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Who said the Yotes are considering Boyle or Maroon? Marleau is done. We have enough veteran leadership, do not need a 40 yo. washed up player. Give the kids the ice time.
Barrett Hayton has never played a professional hockey game in his entire life. He currently has to beat zero people to “win” a roster spot. He’s been gift wrapped a spot and had it handed to him on a silver platter. This is a bad strategy.

Garland faded down the stretch and was scratched several times after his initial hot streak cooled off. He works hard but he’s got on-ice responsibility issues and seemed to struggle at times to ply within the system. When he was scoring it was overlooked but when that dried, he rode the pine or got health bombed.

Who the hell knows what Fischer is? Guy is a freaking hot-and-cold rollercoaster.

Garland, Fischer and especially Hayton should have to earn their spots and earn their minutes. Right now all three have spots penciled in and have only each other to compete with for playing time.

I don’t believe for a second that “captain six pack” Stepan and “just take it easy” Goligoski are great leaders. Kessel does his own thing. Demers is a fun clown but he’s also a jackass who makes comments about training camp and preseason being a waste of his time but then he takes 20 games to ease into the season every year. Hjalmarsson is great but I’m pretty sure he’s never spoken a word in his life. He took a vow of silence while cloistered Malmo I guess. OEL is a work in progress as a captain.

Also, despite having our last season completely derailed by a horrific string of injuries, worse than anything the franchise has seen in their history from 1996 onward, and despite our lack of depth destroying us last season, we’ve done absolutely nothing from a depth perspective and have in fact lost depth players without replacing them. Galchenyuk became Kessel. Panik became Soderberg. Cousins, Archibald, and Connauton have not been replaced by anyone. We have less injury insurance this season than we had last season.

I’d sign Brian Boyle in a second.

Last edited:

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Why on earth would SJ want these old players? I still don't see why they would sign them. This is not a charity. I don't get why a team would allocate ice time to these guys when they can play much younger players with higher upside.

Agree about Marleau but Joe is still nowhere done. 51 points last year and another 10 in the playoffs and that's only playing 15 minutes a night. That's an elite #3 center if they play couture and hertl ahead of him.

Reactions: themelkman

rt

May 13, 2004
Barrett Hayton has never played a professional hockey game in his entire life. He currently has to beat zero people to “win” a roster spot. He’s been gift wrapped a spot and had it handed to him on a silver platter. This is a bad strategy.

Garland faded down the stretch and was scratched several times after his initial hot streak cooled off. He works hard but he’s got on-ice responsibility issues and seemed to struggle at times to ply within the system. When he was scoring it was overlooked but when that dried, he rode the pine or got health bombed.

Who the hell knows what Fischer is? Guy is a freaking hot-and-cold rollercoaster.

Garland, Fischer and especially Hayton should have to earn their spots and earn their minutes. Right now all three have spots penciled in and have only each other to compete with for playing time.

I don’t believe for a second that “captain six pack” Stepan and “just take it easy” Goligoski are great leaders. Kessel does his own thing. Demers is a fun clown but he’s also a jackass who makes comments about training camp and preseason being a waste of his time but then he takes 20 games to ease into the season every year. Hjalmarsson is great but I’m pretty sure he’s never spoken a word in his life. He took a vow of silence while cloistered Malmo I guess. OEL is a work in progress as a captain.

Also, despite having our last season completely derailed by a horrific string of injuries, worse than anything the franchise has seen in their history from 1996 onward, and despite our lack of depth destroying us last season, we’ve done absolutely nothing from a depth perspective and have in fact lost depth players without replacing them. Galchenyuk became Kessel. Panik became Soderberg. Cousins, Archibald, and Connauton have not been replaced by anyone. We have less injury insurance this season than we had last season.

Cliff’s Notes:

1. Our young forwards (Garland, Fischer and Hayton) haven’t earned anything yet.

2. Our veteran leadership group sucks.

3. We have no injury depth at all.​

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Cliff’s Notes:

1. Our young forwards (Garland, Fischer and Hayton) haven’t earned anything yet.

2. Our veteran leadership group sucks.

3. We have no injury depth at all.​

No offense but if you were worried about the locker room leadership, trading for Kessel should have never happened. He's an elite player, but there is a reason he gets dealt from young teams. He should be in a vet room as a piece to put them over the top, not to teach kids what it takes to be a pro.

He's a guy who won't be staying late after practice to work on something, or busting his ass in the gym. Boston and Toronto both dealt him because they didn't want the kids to learn off of him. He was a wonderful fit with the Pens because the room already had an established leadership group and core that has won. He didn't have to be a leader off the ice, just score points.

Reactions: Spargon

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I like Gambrell, Checkovich, Sorensen, and Chemlevski, but right now, we need 3 in the top 9. I hardly think that having Marleau in the top 9 is a bad thing. He brings speed and 15 goals/30 points. He can help us. I'm not sure I but this report about not wanting him.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

rt

May 13, 2004
No offense but if you were worried about the locker room leadership, trading for Kessel should have never happened. He's an elite player, but there is a reason he gets dealt from young teams. He should be in a vet room as a piece to put them over the top, not to teach kids what it takes to be a pro.

He's a guy who won't be staying late after practice to work on something, or busting his ass in the gym. Boston and Toronto both dealt him because they didn't want the kids to learn off of him. He was a wonderful fit with the Pens because the room already had an established leadership group and core that has won. He didn't have to be a leader off the ice, just score points.
The only thing we need from Phil is for him to be Phil. No more. No less. There’s a reason Tocchet brought him in. And it’s not to make him be someone he’s not. The Coyotes know EXACTLY who Phil is and who Phil is not.

Reactions: hbk

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I'm gonna be pissed if he just f***ing retires because everyone else realized he was washed too.

Guy cost us a 1st round pick even though we gave him a very generous contract, far too much ice-time, AND did what he asked in letting him go back to Cali. Should've just Robidas Island his ass.

Reactions: DarthProbert

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
I'm gonna be pissed if he just ****ing retires because everyone else realized he was washed too.

Guy cost us a 1st round pick even though we gave him a very generous contract, far too much ice-time, AND did what he asked in letting him go back to Cali. Should've just Robidas Island his ass.

Legit he would have f***ed over the Leafs pretty good if he does that.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I'm gonna be pissed if he just ****ing retires because everyone else realized he was washed too.

He could have retired a Leaf and really screwed them over.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

So what u r saying is the Coyotes would be well suited to try to insulate Kessel’s influence by adding to their leadership in the locker room? That’s what I get from your comments.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think Marleau's best bet now is to sign a 1 day contract to retire a Shark. Doubt any team gives him a deal to play for next season.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I've never seen this site fantasize about a player leaving a team in UFA like Matthews and the Leafs. Some of you guys just want Leaf fans to suffer.

I can't blame them. Marleau bailed on the organization that was his home his entire career for a few extra bucks, and now expects them to welcome him back with open arms. Sorry, but everyone else will get theirs first, and if there is any left, then you can maybe get some.

Regarding the first point, did you miss the McDavid wants out of Edmonton thread? And McDavid actually signed for 8 years.

Regarding the second point, I do wonder how much that has to do with it. If Marleau had signed for the $5M/2Y that was reportedly put on the table by San Jose, I don't think he and Thornton would still be unsigned right now. But I don't know.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

As you know I don't care for Stepan, but he was a C in New York, so he has leadership ability, as does Gogo, Richardson, Hammer, Oel and the list goes on. If you are worried about depth, wait till after training camp and see who becomes available, or look at trades. Adding a washed up over the hill player does nothing for depth and all it does is eat more of a little bit of cap space we have left and a contract spot. Easy pass, same goes for Boyle.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Why on earth would SJ want these old players? I still don't see why they would sign them. This is not a charity. I don't get why a team would allocate ice time to these guys when they can play much younger players with higher upside.

There are younger players with higher upside, but we don't have a single young prospect in the organization who I would expect to surpass what Thornton did this regular season. He was one of the best 3rd line centers in the NHL.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

they would have had his full cap hit cuz hes on a over 35 contract

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Legit he would have ****ed over the Leafs pretty good if he does that.

PATRICK MARLEAU HAS NOT MISSED ONE HOCKEY GAME IN 10 SEASONS.

Do you guys not realize that you can't just "Robidas Island" a player who is obviously not suffering from injuries of any kind? You think Patrick Marleau, perfectly healthy, is just going to walk into a doctor's office and a doctor is going to say "hey, I think I'm injured." And you think the doctor is going to say "okay, let me risk all of my medical credentials by saying that you are injured and unable to play with absolutely no evidence to defend it."? That's ridiculous. Not everything is Maple Leafs fantasy land where doctors and healthy hockey players bend over and risk everything to take care of your salary cap situation.

Beyond that, it doesn't appear as though you've even read the title of this thread. The Arizona Coyotes want to sign him. The Carolina Hurricanes also wanted him to play for them. His first choice was San Jose, but if it's not San Jose, he will sign in Arizona or elsewhere near San Jose. He is not retiring.

He had one more year with a contending team on his contract, and he had a full no move clause. He didn't want to leave, and he made that clear in his post-season presser. Despite this, when he was asked to waive his NMC, he agreed to do so, under the condition that he would either be traded to an area near California, or to a team that would immediately buy him out of his contract.

He did absolutely nothing wrong to your team. He wanted to play for another season, and your GM wanted to trade a player with a full NMC. That kind of thing isn't always easy. Blame Lou for signing that garbage f***ing contract and blame Dubas for paying a premium to get rid of just one year of it. This isn't Marleau's fault in any way.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Regarding the first point, did you miss the McDavid wants out of Edmonton thread? And McDavid actually signed for 8 years.

Regarding the second point, I do wonder how much that has to do with it. If Marleau had signed for the $5M/2Y that was reportedly put on the table by San Jose, I don't think he and Thornton would still be unsigned right now. But I don't know.

Lots of players sign for 5 years and stay. Sid, Malkin, Stamkos, etc as recent examples.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006

Do you guys not realize that you can't just "Robidas Island" a player who is obviously not suffering from injuries of any kind? You think Patrick Marleau, perfectly healthy, is just going to walk into a doctor's office and a doctor is going to say "hey, I think I'm injured." And you think the doctor is going to say "okay, let me risk all of my medical credentials by saying that you are injured and unable to play with absolutely no evidence to defend it."? That's ridiculous. Not everything is Maple Leafs fantasy land where doctors and healthy hockey players bend over and risk everything to take care of your salary cap situation.

Beyond that, it doesn't appear as though you've even read the title of this thread. The Arizona Coyotes want to sign him. The Carolina Hurricanes also wanted him to play for them. His first choice was San Jose, but if it's not San Jose, he will sign in Arizona or elsewhere near San Jose. He is not retiring.

He had one more year with a contending team on his contract, and he had a full no move clause. He didn't want to leave, and he made that clear in his post-season presser. Despite this, when he was asked to waive his NMC, he agreed to do so, under the condition that he would either be traded to an area near California, or to a team that would immediately buy him out of his contract.

He did absolutely nothing wrong to your team. He wanted to play for another season, and your GM wanted to trade a player with a full NMC. That kind of thing isn't always easy. Blame Lou for signing that garbage ****ing contract and blame Dubas for paying a premium to get rid of just one year of it. This isn't Marleau's fault in any way.

So many Leaf fans believed in a secret handshake deal where Marleau would fake an injury in his final year of the contract, it was f***ing ridiculous. That contract is 100% on Lou. It shouldn't have been three years at that average. I said it the day the contract was signed.

That said, I don't know how many of the Cali teams will actually want him at this point. He's just not a very good player anymore. His skating and shot have regressed, he's kind of an offensive black hole at this point of his career. I don't think he's a top nine player anymore. Maybe a team will want him on the fourth line at league minimum, but is Marleau willing to break the ironman streak if a team isn't ready to play him 82 games? Idk.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011

He did absolutely nothing wrong to your team. He wanted to play for another season, and your GM wanted to trade a player with a full NMC. That kind of thing isn't always easy. Blame Lou for signing that garbage ****ing contract and blame Dubas for paying a premium to get rid of just one year of it. This isn't Marleau's fault in any way.

Calm down. I was reffering to if he forced his way out and then just retires anyways it would be a big F U. They had to move a first because he wouldn't go to any team, he had to be bought out to go back to SJ. If he forces a deal under those circumstances, and then just retires afterwords, it means the Leafs were forced to pay a first for no reason.

They could have just dealt him anywhere if he was retiring because it's dead cap. That would be a massive dick move.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
So many Leaf fans believed in a secret handshake deal where Marleau would fake an injury in his final year of the contract, it was ****ing ridiculous. That contract is 100% on Lou. It shouldn't have been three years at that average. I said it the day the contract was signed.

That said, I don't know how many of the Cali teams will actually want him at this point. He's just not a very good player anymore. His skating and shot have regressed, he's kind of an offensive black hole at this point of his career. I don't think he's a top nine player anymore. Maybe a team will want him on the fourth line at league minimum, but is Marleau willing to break the ironman streak if a team isn't ready to play him 82 games? Idk.

No, many Leaf fans believed there was a secret handshake where he would waive his NMC in the final year to allow them to fit in the salary of the kids. He did do that, but only if he would be bought out.

Mike Dukarm

Aug 3, 2018
Montreal
In Resume: 4 last seasons Marleau always begin with a 12-15 goals in the first 20 games and he seem to be a 80 pts... but after his production always goes down for the rest of the season.

He would like to return to SJ, but they dont want him back... so Arizona? Would be a other bad decision for Chayka...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad