Rumor: Simmons: Coyotes Interested in Marleau

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Well that's that.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Marleau is still an NHL player but teams should basically expect to sign him for leadership reasons and to get about thirty points

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
there would be numerous benefits to any team, especially a young team to have marleau at league minimum. many of the details he would bring to a team would be invaluable and in some cases can't be taught by a coach

I'm not totally sold on that concept. It's not exactly like Marleau's tenure made the Leafs young core a mature, ready to battle outfit, nor does Marleau himself have much of a championship pedigree.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
He's done. He fell off a cliff and then fell off another cliff. Imagine how much worse he will be this year. Plus with his iron man streak and how coaches love overplaying him I would hard pass on him.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I'm not totally sold on that concept. It's not exactly like Marleau's tenure made the Leafs young core a mature, ready to battle outfit, nor does Marleau himself have much of a championship pedigree.

fair point, but when you're one of two guys on the team (hainsey) with any history it gets tougher.. Arizona has some mid range guys like Stepan, hjalmarsson and now kessel that there is some help there

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
fair point, but when you're one of two guys on the team (hainsey) with any history it gets tougher.. Arizona has some mid range guys like Stepan, hjalmarsson and now kessel that there is some help there

He's old and seems like a really nice guy, but doesn't jump out at you as a real veteran mentor. Always thought Justin Williams was the player and voice everyone thought Marleau would be in Toronto.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
He wants to play in so-cal it's very clear. None of those teams want him so I guess Arizona is the closest one. IMO he should just retire.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
He's old and seems like a really nice guy, but doesn't jump out at you as a real veteran mentor. Always thought Justin Williams was the player and voice everyone thought Marleau would be in Toronto.

god justin williams is awesome.. different personalities though. williams is noticed more due to his visibility on the ice yet that can't be a discredit to Marleau behind the scenes. Marleau has always come across as mentoring on off days, meetings, morning skates, gym etc... but is quiet on the ice. lidstrom was incredible for that, quiet on the ice but amazing off the ice. i don't doubt williams is both, he just wears his heart more on his sleeve (personally my choice)

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
He's not NHL worthy any more lol.

He’s an NHL player. He still kept up on the ice for the most part but was played into the ground by Babcock in situations where he shouldn’t have been. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was more effective in a reduced role where he isn’t tossed out against in high pressure situations that he shouldn’t be played in.

He’s one of the quiet guys that most people on the team love. He’s a fitness nut and regularly linked in to having younger players over for dinner and taking on a sort of surrogate father role. I’m not sure his friendliness motivated players to the same extent that some leaders do but he’s a “real veteran player”

All in all it doesn’t matter if he’s an NHL player if he refuses to play anywhere but San Jose. The Sharks didn’t resign Pavelski and are potentially letting Thornton walk, which clearly shows that someone like Marleau doesn’t fit into their plans going forward.

If he wasn’t “NHL worthy” then the Hurricanes wouldn’t have tried to convince him to stay and the Coyotes wouldn’t have had any interest. He wasn’t worth 6 million to a cap strapped team but he’s still good enough to play somewhere, the problems that he’s just not wanted in the only place he wants to play.

Other teams are interested in him so really it’s up to him whether he wants to retire or sign a one year deal somewhere he hasn’t really given the proper consideration.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
He’s an NHL player. He still kept up on the ice for the most part but was played into the ground by Babcock in situations where he shouldn’t have been. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was more effective in a reduced role where he isn’t tossed out against in high pressure situations that he shouldn’t be played in.

He’s one of the quiet guys that most people on the team love. He’s a fitness nut and regularly linked in to having younger players over for dinner and taking on a sort of surrogate father role. I’m not sure his friendliness motivated players to the same extent that some leaders do but he’s a “real veteran player”

All in all it doesn’t matter if he’s an NHL player if he refuses to play anywhere but San Jose. The Sharks didn’t resign Pavelski and are potentially letting Thornton walk, which clearly shows that someone like Marleau doesn’t fit into their plans going forward.

If he wasn’t “NHL worthy” then the Hurricanes wouldn’t have tried to convince him to stay and the Coyotes wouldn’t have had any interest. He wasn’t worth 6 million to a cap strapped team but he’s still good enough to play somewhere, the problems that he’s just not wanted in the only place he wants to play.

Other teams are interested in him so really it’s up to him whether he wants to retire or sign a one year deal somewhere he hasn’t really given the proper consideration.

The Sharks aren't letting Thornton walk. Doug Wilson, Peter DeBoer, and Thornton himself have made it very clear that he will be back with San Jose for next season.

By contrast, the Sharks have been completely noncommittal with Marleau. Doug Wilson and Peter DeBoer have both been asked about Marleau, and neither directly answered the question.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Meh I think the sharks still sign him and thornton (Joe obv for sure ) sometime before the season starts

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
The Sharks aren't letting Thornton walk. Doug Wilson, Peter DeBoer, and Thornton himself have made it very clear that he will be back with San Jose for next season.

By contrast, the Sharks have been completely noncommittal with Marleau. Doug Wilson and Peter DeBoer have both been asked about Marleau, and neither directly answered the question.
If they have someone better to round out the bottom six obv they don't feel the same commitment as they do to Joe but if he is better than what they got he will be back if they can't do anything else

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
He wants to play in so-cal it's very clear. None of those teams want him so I guess Arizona is the closest one. IMO he should just retire.
San Jose might want him when they figure out their cap situation.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Toronto fans, is this source reliable?

The Sharks have always been a very tight lipped organization. It would be normal the Sharks to wait until they are ready and announce Jumbo and Patty are signed at the same time. That’s still what I expect to happen. The fact that Patty hasn’t signed yet means nothing.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Toronto fans, is this source reliable?

The Sharks have always been a very tight lipped organization. It would be normal the Sharks to wait until they are ready and announce Jumbo and Patty are signed at the same time. That’s still what I expect to happen. The fact that Patty hasn’t signed yet means nothing.

I have no idea if this guy has sources or is pulling it out of his ass, but this reads from Marleau's perspective, so I could absolutely believe someone from Marleau's camp leaked this.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
What makes you say that?
Only Marleau's side would know both that SJ basically rejected him, and that Arizona gave him an offer. It also feels like it is focusing more on the logic behind his decisions as opposed to why teams do or don't want him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad