Eklund Rumor: Simmonds to Tampa for Katchouk+pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
that sentence... is like saying... have you seen Laine play this year? 2 goals in wtv amount of gp? therefore he's ****

Simmonds being average in Philly this year, doesn't mean he won't be rejuvenated in Tampa, not at all

all i know is who Wayne Simmonds is, and no i'm not referring to Simmonds from LA, i know the Philly Simmonds, and teams should want to add him if they have the intent of pursuing the cup AND that they are missing a Simmonds-type player

Simmonds produces on the PP. He won't get much, if any, opportunity with that in TB. At least not enough to justify the cost.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
he's not going to be on the 4th unless he bombs totally

those examples i gave is because usually in your top 6 you should have a guy of that nature, i don;t know who that player is in Tampa...who is it for Tampa? can you answer that?

He's not bumping any of our top-six wingers. Maybe a third line winger, but it's not a given. If we're dealing one of our better prospects, it has to be a given.

Do you think Alex Killorn, who's notorious for producing in the playoffs, is going to the fourth line?

If not, then who? Tyler Johnson, who's one of our better ES scorers? Yanni Gourde? Ondrej Palat?

Reactions: JackFr

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
The return would be too high but I dont get the attitude of, they don't need it or teams that win dont do this. Yes, every cup winner lately has traded to get a 2nd pair dman or 3rd line forward. Depth is still a need especially if guys go down with injury. That's what Simmons would be, not a top 6 add and those are moves generally of you do you're not good enough to go anywhere.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The return would be too high but I dont get the attitude of, they don't need it or teams that win dont do this. Yes, every cup winner lately has traded to get a 2nd pair dman or 3rd line forward. Depth is still a need especially if guys go down with injury. That's what Simmons would be, not a top 6 add and those are moves generally of you do you're not good enough to go anywhere.

Washington paid a 3rd for Michal Kempny--not exactly a blockbuster. If Philly gives us Simmonds for a 3rd? Deal. But we're talking about one of our better prospects + a pick.

Pittsburgh picked up Mark Streit (3 playoff games), and Ron Hainsey. There's a bit of a case for Hainsey as a quality pick up, but still not an "all in" move, Pittsburgh was filling a legit hole, whereas none of the rumored trades actually fill a hole in TB's line-up.

The year before, Pittsburgh picked up Justin Schultz, who was considered by many, at the time, to be the worst defensive defenseman in hockey. Schultz was not an impact player on that team (yet) and played just 15 games, 13 minutes per night. He was also acquired for a 3rd rounder. Not the kind of blockbuster that "all in" teams go for, and not the kind of pricetag we'd be talking about with Simmonds. I'd give up a 3rd easily. The problem is that's not the price, but what we're upgrading remains the same.

The year before, Chicago stood pat on deadline day.

Not sure how far you want to go back.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I'd be pretty happy if Tampa blows most of its remaining cap space on Simmonds. He's a guy I've been saying the Bruins should avoid because he's a defensive liability.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'd be pretty happy if Tampa blows most of its remaining cap space on Simmonds. He's a guy I've been saying the Bruins should avoid because he's a defensive liability.

Yes. Exactly. Tampa needs defensive minded forwards in their bottom 6. That’s not Simmonds. It’s just stupid and silly to get simmonds who is not an upgrade and will costs Tampa futures.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Washington paid a 3rd for Michal Kempny--not exactly a blockbuster. If Philly gives us Simmonds for a 3rd? Deal. But we're talking about one of our better prospects + a pick.

Pittsburgh picked up Mark Streit (3 playoff games), and Ron Hainsey. There's a bit of a case for Hainsey as a quality pick up, but still not an "all in" move, Pittsburgh was filling a legit hole, whereas none of the rumored trades actually fill a hole in TB's line-up.

The year before, Pittsburgh picked up Justin Schultz, who was considered by many, at the time, to be the worst defensive defenseman in hockey. Schultz was not an impact player on that team (yet) and played just 15 games, 13 minutes per night. He was also acquired for a 3rd rounder. Not the kind of blockbuster that "all in" teams go for, and not the kind of pricetag we'd be talking about with Simmonds. I'd give up a 3rd easily. The problem is that's not the price, but what we're upgrading remains the same.

The year before, Chicago stood pat on deadline day.

Not sure how far you want to go back.
This wouldn't be close to an all in add, Wayne Simmons isnt Duchene, Stone, or Panarin types that would be.

You seem to be equating the return to the level of being significant. Ok this would ve too high a return then. However, The quality of the player is what the factor I would think matters is. Simmons wouldnt be a top 6 big shake up add. He be the depth add every cup team lately has won with. Only the Kings did that big of a top 6 shakeup and won with it recently.

And Chicago added Vermette for a 1st n prospect and added Kimo Timonen. The Vermette price was high but because of being a center with great faceoff and special team play but he was a 3rd liner there.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I think there's a few of us in the minority that believe Simmonds would be a really good pickup for Tampa. The majority will probably be here with there stats about Adam Erne in the next 20 mins or so.

I would not want to give up Katchouk and I wouldn't want to give up a high pick. I'd rather do Raddysh and I'd want it to be a later pick.

Simmonds sucks but so does Erne since the start of the new year. If Brisebois watched the game against Philly he would stay far away from Simmonds, he didn't do himself any favors trying to convince us that game.

The reason I quoted you was because Raddysh has passed Katchouk as a prospect this year. Raddysh is looking like a potential top 6 winger again and he's one of the few right hand shots we have. I wouldn't trade him before Katchouk. I wouldn't trade Katchouk either right now especially for a Simmonds. I would do a Yan, Tammela or Sommpi level forward + pick.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Simmonds sucks but so does Erne since the start of the new year. If Brisebois watched the game against Philly he would stay far away from Simmonds, he didn't do himself any favors trying to convince us that game.

The reason I quoted you was because Raddysh has passed Katchouk as a prospect this year. Raddysh is looking like a potential top 6 winger again and he's one of the few right hand shots we have. I wouldn't trade him before Katchouk. I wouldn't trade Katchouk either right now especially for a Simmonds. I would do a Yan, Tammela or Sommpi level forward + pick.
As long as nobody touches Volkov i'm happy.

Reactions: Post Karl Malone

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This wouldn't be close to an all in add, Wayne Simmons isnt Duchene, Stone, or Panarin types that would be.

You seem to be equating the return to the level of being significant. Ok this would ve too high a return then. However, The quality of the player is what the factor I would think matters is. Simmons wouldnt be a top 6 big shake up add. He be the depth add every cup team lately has won with. Only the Kings did that big of a top 6 shakeup and won with it recently.

And Chicago added Vermette for a 1st n prospect and added Kimo Timonen. The Vermette price was high but because of being a center with great faceoff and special team play but he was a 3rd liner there.

I've said teams have made minor tweaks. The problem is, minor tweaks don't make a lot of sense for us.

My mistake on Vermette. But that's still not an all-in move, and I don't think Vermette was the difference in them winning a cup and not. The next year they did make some all in moves, and, if memory serves, were out in round 1.

It's arguable if Simmonds would even be a 3rd liner in TB, and he definitely wouldn't get meaningful PP time. I honestly doubt he'd be a 3rd liner. You look at the players he'd have to bump, and I'm just not seeing it. Without his PP production, I'm not sure what he would bring to TB that justifies the kind of price we'd have to pay.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
On Bob McKenzie's podcast, Lebrun mentions that TB did ask about Simmonds, but hasn't really been active about it. I think this thing has been more fan and media driven than anything. (Lebrun also says he thinks Simmonds would fit in TB, but thinks JBB might not see it that way.)

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
On Bob McKenzie's podcast, Lebrun mentions that TB did ask about Simmonds, but hasn't really been active about it. I think this thing has been more fan and media driven than anything. (Lebrun also says he thinks Simmonds would fit in TB, but thinks JBB might not see it that way.)
Yeah, if JBB doesn't think Simmonds can play at Tampa's pace then its a no go.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
As long as nobody touches Volkov i'm happy.

Well with Volkov Katchouk could be in play but I wouldn't for Simmonds, I'd go for Dzingel who fits our speed game better. Really with Stephens, Volkov and Katchouk being of similar type of prospect we could move any one of them, we don't have anybody else like Raddysh just yet.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Really don’t know how to feel about this if it happened. Didn’t JB say that if they are not fast enough they won’t play for the lightning. Doesn’t seem like a move he would do.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Zats Muccarello

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ok i'll elaborate

i don't think Tampa paid Callahan $5.8m/yr to be their 13th man, correct?

Tampa had visions of Callahan being similar to the player he was in NYR... correct?

Callahan was not a 13th player in NY... correct?

Callahan is supposed to be a grinder type skillful player that goes in the corners and screens the net... correct?

Simmonds is Callahan's replacement

// end proof

Now, my question is... who is your Dustin Brown on your team? who is your Matthew Tkachuk? Who is your David Backes (the old one, the good one)?

if your answer is Adam Erne or Cedric Paquette or i dunno who... you might benefit from a Wayne Simmonds

better?

Callahan points per 60 at ES - 1.65

Simmonds points per 60 at ES - 1.15

Callahan kills penalties and is f’ing very good at it. Simmonds doesnt.

Nuff said

*drops mic*

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

We've been saying the same thing don't worry. Too many bone headed plays not enough reward.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
What would the negative be? They wouldn't be sending out a roster player in this deal, and Simmonds is a great guy.

Simmonds is a liability, he wouldn't crack our top 6 and is having enough troubles playing in Philly's bottom 6.

Katchouk is a future cost controlled player with good upside. Easy pass here.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I don't understand why some posters here are un sure as to why TB would do this. The Lightening were bounced around in the playoffs last year especially by Wash. Simmonds adds exactly what they don't have and that is size and grit upfront. Anyone who doesn't get why this would be a great pick up by TB doesn't understand the game.

Reactions: Larry44

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
where would they slot simmonds? they are so deadly. I dont think they need a big name like Simmonds. maybe if they have a small need, a small upgrade would more than likely do alot more than what simmonds would bring over the current top 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad