Eklund Rumor: Simmonds to Tampa for Katchouk+pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Simmonds will never disrupt chemistry, if anything he creates chemistry

You ever heard of, “if it isn’t broke don’t fix it”. Tampa has no reason to Be doing this trade. They are top of the league for a reason. Adding Simmonds only adds overkill and potentially chemistry issues.

We see cup contenders do this crap all the time. And they never win.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't disagree that Tampa is a tougher team than they were last year, but I also don't believe that hits=toughness.

Agreed, but Cernak and Erne add legit toughness.

In Simmonds, you're talking about a big pricetag on a player who's likely to play 13 minutes per night for us. He's not going to be on our 1st PP unit, not going to be in the top-six, maybe not even the top-nine. The guy he's most likely to replace is Adam Erne, which makes us only slightly tougher, but probably not worth the assets.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
SC style of hockey is very different than regular season. It's open hunting season out there. How many rounds did TB won last year with about the same cast of players ?

Two. And we've taken the eventual Cup winner to their longest series in 3 of the last 4 years. And our roster being "about the same" is true, but misleading.

Steven Stamkos is back to his pre broken leg self. Probably better, because he's more responsible and a better playmaker now. We did not have this version of Stamkos over the past five years. Brayden Point wasn't this good last year. Ryan McDonagh was injured and struggling to fit into the system. We didn't have Erik Cernak.

We've actually upgraded by standing pat. Which is also why we're having a much better regular season than last year.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
What’s the negative? He adds grit for the playoff run, and can put the puck in the net.

Doesn’t fit what the team does? Messes up chemistry with lines that were producing before he was there?

Trust me. There’s def negatives sometimes with adding people. Lightning have been doing just fine without Simmonds.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
What’s the negative? He adds grit for the playoff run, and can put the puck in the net.

Because it’s unnecessary. Outside fans have already told you it makes no sense. We’ve seen cup contenders do these type of pushes before. And guess what? They don’t win. Ask us Duck fans when we traded for Doug fricken Weight.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I don't think we'd do it. I don't think Simmonds is the fit he might at first appear. No room on the PP, no room in the top-six, and we're a lot more physical than anybody gives us credit. Can't give up Katchouk for a bottom six rental.
What would Tampa want if anything at all?

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
I think he is the right fit for them. I think they could use some more toughness, and a bit more goal scoring depth.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Eklund has no inside info on the flyers. That said, this does make sense for several reasons. I get the why mess with something that’s so good argument. But Simmonds brings an element that is more than tough. He’s a very gritty leader that will gut it out. Tampa needs more of that imo.

Aug 3, 2010
Only legit because Philadelphia is the only team I've ever recalled Eklund having any sort of accuracy with.

With that being said, not sure why Tampa needs to do this.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That is a fair assessment, and one I can be on board with logically, even if I disagree.

Simmonds is an upgrade on Erne, no questions. Erne's the guy who'd be bumped out of the lineup. But after that... Simmonds would not be a lock to crack our top-9. I don't see him bumping Yanni Gourde or Tyler Johnson down. Probably not Palat or Killorn on the other side either. Then you have JT Miller and Nikita Kucherov. Those are our top-9 wingers.

On our 1st PP unit, the man in Simmonds' spot is Brayden Point, and Point is currently leading the NHL in PP goals.

So I'm just not seeing the fit. We're talking about paying legit assets to upgrade Adam Erne.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
You ever heard of, “if it isn’t broke don’t fix it”. Tampa has no reason to Be doing this trade. They are top of the league for a reason. Adding Simmonds only adds overkill and potentially chemistry issues.

We see cup contenders do this crap all the time. And they never win.

think of Simmonds as a Callahan replacement

plugging Callahan in the lineup hasn't disrupted chemistry

Simmonds will do Callahan's job but better

but i understand your viewpoint, i just don't think it would apply here to Simmonds but we'll see

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
What would Tampa want if anything at all?

If it's not one of the available star wingers (Stone, Panarin), it's really tough to find a fit. It's just not worth giving up premium assets if we're not talking about upgrading big roles, and it's hard to upgrade the guys we have filling those roles (Johnson, Gourde, Kucherov, Palat, Killorn). Simmonds MIGHT be an upgrade on Killorn, but that's not a given. And Killorn's role has been reduced too, so we're still talking about paying a 1st line price to fill a 3rd line role.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Simmonds is an upgrade on Erne, no questions. Erne's the guy who'd be bumped out of the lineup. But after that... Simmonds would not be a lock to crack our top-9. I don't see him bumping Yanni Gourde or Tyler Johnson down. Probably not Palat or Killorn on the other side either. Then you have JT Miller and Nikita Kucherov. Those are our top-9 wingers.

On our 1st PP unit, the man in Simmonds' spot is Brayden Point, and Point is currently leading the NHL in PP goals.

So I'm just not seeing the fit. We're talking about paying legit assets to upgrade Adam Erne.

Like I said, I can understand not wanting to pay the price to upgrade. My original post was about someone who seems to be under the impression that Erne is a better player than Simmonds outright.

I think Simmonds could probably bump Miller as well (keeping in mind who Simmonds has played with this year), but I don't feel strongly enough to say it definitively or argue it, to be honest. Think the case could be made though.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I personally think Tampa swings for the fences or doesn't make a move at all.

If it's not one of the available star wingers (Stone, Panarin), it's really tough to find a fit. It's just not worth giving up premium assets if we're not talking about upgrading big roles, and it's hard to upgrade the guys we have filling those roles (Johnson, Gourde, Kucherov, Palat, Killorn). Simmonds MIGHT be an upgrade on Killorn, but that's not a given. And Killorn's role has been reduced too, so we're still talking about paying a 1st line price to fill a 3rd line role.
I would prob stand pat then

Reactions: DFC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad