Simmonds Expected AAV

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Okay then if we put him up on the trade market you would probably be asking for a first in 19 and in 20 to keep the pipe line full then ? yes this is a question

We aren’t getting two 1sts. One 1st and a slight plus might be the best we can do now.

But I don’t expect them to trade him unless something else develops. If they keep him this season to transition, fine. I just don’t want them to keep him to re-sign him.

Reactions: Tripod

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Now THIS! This is a topic you can really sink your teeth into...sooo many angles to play.

I have no firm opinion one way or another but it is definitely one that can make/break Ron et al's plan.

I have high hopes for a Cup in the next 5 years, even at the ~3% per annum odds. Result of Simmer's treatment is a fundamental factor, he could be a huge factor, or his value in trade might be the similar.

When pushed? I would vote, keep him. Last year was the first time fans showed any doubt in him, and he was injured. I think he'll continue to impress, even with significant role changes. And the $$ simply won't prohibit any other moves...Flyers are so far away from flirting the cap edge now. As long as the young dee continue to get he job done...and as always, one of the cheap ELC goalies can step into a f/t role...THAT's way more important than Simmer's contract itself.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
And then in 2 years when Allison and O'Brien can't get top 9 ice time because an overpaid Simmonds is there?

By God, if he is re-signed, had better not have any NMC.

Reactions: Larry44

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If JVR couldn't get a NMC, Simmonds won't get one. Voracek didn't get one.
Hextall doesn't give them out.
And with the ED on the horizon, forget it.

Reactions: BernieParent

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I am more concerned with losing a Dman for the ES as opposed to a F.

I feel like we have top 6 prospects in the pipeline, but not top 4 dmen anymore....excluding Myers because he makes the 4th Dman in our future core.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
No reason to trade him now with signing JVR. Hextall will probably look at the trading deadline whether this team will be a contender or not and decide to trade him or let him walk and get his huge deal in the off-season.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Seems like Hex made it clear that we’re trying to extend him. Going for shorter term and more dollars than vice versa.

It's possible to go heavy on Signing Bonuses and frontload... as much as is allowed under current CBA with no Trade Clauses, and have Simmonds get his big Cash and long Term... but give Flyers the ability to trade him, if desired due to tail off... to a Small Market Team, ala Hossa.

Would cost Comcast Cash and lesser Players, but give Flyers Simmonds at a Cap fair to both, but still have the short-term benefit, if needed... flexibilty with a real good Player on the Ice, who is also huge in the Room as well as the Community.

This also allows Simmonds to play here, as he desires... for the money he'd demand, less any Hometown Discount.

... Just a thought.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It's possible to go heavy on Signing Bonuses and frontload... as much as is allowed under current CBA with no Trade Clauses, and have Simmonds get his big Cash and long Term... but give Flyers the ability to trade him, if desired due to tail off... to a Small Market Team, ala Hossa.

Would cost Comcast Cash and lesser Players, but give Flyers Simmonds at a Cap fair to both, but still have the short-term benefit, if needed... flexibilty with a real good Player on the Ice, who is also huge in the Room as well as the Community.

This also allows Simmonds to play here, as he desires... for the money he'd demand, less any Hometown Discount.

... Just a thought.
That still does not fix the issue of paying your already 3rd line RW, 1st line money.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

... Just a thought.

I’m sure it will be back loaded as much as possible as most big contracts by the Flyers are. But it doesn’t make the sizable difference that it used to as you’re still paying multi-millions on the end of the contract now. You’re not seeing $1M-500K type payouts on the end of contracts like Hossa, Pronger, etc. all those pre-2013 CBA contracts.

Hextall hasn’t given out trade or movement protection to this point & I don’t think that’s going to change with Simmonds. He’s been doing it since he was in LA where they didn’t give them out either opting to pay a little more in term/money instead to keep movement flexibility open.

As for signing bonuses you can’t go too heavy on them even from a GM standpoint because it makes buyouts harder as you can’t buyout signing bonus money. So you really don’t want to go heavy on the signing bonuses with aging players either as it hurts you buyout flexibility. JVR only got $5M of his contract in signing bonuses for example.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
As much as Simmonds has meant to the club, it would be foolish to lock in with him for extended term. More than 2 years, MAYBE 3, would be a problem.
And for as much as this team may mean to Simmonds, it would be foolish of him to not take care of his financial future in this last, real contract of his career.

Someone will offer a JVR type contract. It should (will?) not be the Flyers. And Wayne should/will take it.

As to trading him now, there is one major difference between me and Hextall - ignoring his fame and fortune and my stunningly great looks - and that is he need s to find out whether Hakstol can take this team to the next level. He now has a team to prove he can do it, and is in the penultimate year of his contract. Hextall will not trade Simmonds unless the team falls apart, at which point Hakstol has punched his ticket out of here, but Hak will be given the opportunity to show that he can do with a young, promising and somewhat established d, a solid set of forwards, and a mediocre goaltending tandem.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don’t think he’s getting traded at this point. If he’s on the open night roster I think it’s basically two scenarios being either he’s extended or he walks as a UFA. The Flyers should be in the thick of it by the deadline & I doubt they’ll view Simmonds as an expandable piece at that point especially since the return very likely would be draft picks.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
they could definitely underachieve

To the point where they’d be sellers at the deadline? Hextall hasn’t sold a significant piece in season since his first year with Coburn & Timonen. He even justified it by saying he only did it because they were both injured leading up to that point & the playoffs was still the goal.

I just don’t see it. I’m not saying they’re going to be a great team or even a lock to make the playoffs but they’ll probably be a fringe team again like they’ve been for years now. So I don’t see Hextall subtracting Simmonds in season.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
With a poor pk, spotty gaoltending (I.e., Elliott burned out from overuse) and surrendered points in close games (hakshell), they could go to a bubble team quickly. That’s Just counting the damage from inept coaching.

Toss in sophomore jinx for Patrick and a key injury or 2 and I think it’s a realistic possibility. Not the likeliest scenario, but on a par with finishing top 2 in Metro.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
To the point where they’d be sellers at the deadline? Hextall hasn’t sold a significant piece in season since his first year with Coburn & Timonen. He even justified it by saying he only did it because they were both injured leading up to that point & the playoffs was still the goal.

I just don’t see it. I’m not saying they’re going to be a great team or even a lock to make the playoffs but they’ll probably be a fringe team again like they’ve been for years now. So I don’t see Hextall subtracting Simmonds in season.

They have all the makings of a team that could underachieve: bad special teams (especially their PK), inconsistent goaltending, lots of young players, a potentially bad bottom-6, a coach that makes a lot of questionable roster decisions

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
I choose to be optimistic I guess in thinking a healthy Patrick has a better season, adding jvr's goal scoring to the second line, upgrading from manning to folin,having konecny on the top line all season,having lindblom as 3lw all year,putting sanheim with a steady partner all year, that we will be a better team . Of course some of this may not happen.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I choose to be optimistic I guess in thinking a healthy Patrick has a better season, adding jvr's goal scoring to the second line, upgrading from manning to folin,having konecny on the top line all season,having lindblom as 3lw all year,putting sanheim with a steady partner all year, that we will be a better team . Of course some of this may not happen.

Yeah, there's no reason this team isn't even better in 18-19; even with Simple Hak and the Disorderlies as as our coaching staff.

Reactions: Flyerfan13

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If they could reach 98 points with a total goalie meltdown (Mrazak 6-6-3 .891), then have a healthy Patrick, Lindblom for a full season, Sanheim and Myers etc., anything under 100 points this season would be a disappointment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad