Simmonds Expected AAV

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Using JVR as a base, where would you put Simmonds next contract at? Similar players in terms of how contracts get rewarded, albeit Simmonds a little older. Obviously a lot may depend on how Simmonds does this year, but if you were Hextall, after seeing the other wingers get their contracts this season, what are you offering?

I like to think hes above Neal and below JVR, so I'll guess hes expecting 5x6.5 and wouldn't have any interest in it. I'd move him right now for best return I could find.

Where do you think this ends up?

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Offer Simmonds a couple of years. Hope that loyalty makes him sign it. If not then seeya later.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
4 yrs, $6M, that falls in the timeline of the RFA extensions.
It's an overpay on expected future production, but it's also a signal that over performance on past contracts will be rewarded, and that team players will be valued above their statistics.
Players (like workers anywhere) are not faceless automatons, they are people and note how their peers are treated.

Reactions: mdm815

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I see what Simmonds stats are this year. He's not going to get as much PP time, and he's statistically a worse EV scorer than many believe. I could see Simmonds back at the 50-point range.

Then I'd offer him 5m/yr for 5 years. Maybe go as high as 6.

We have the money.

Let's say we spend 4m more this offseason, and we're sitting at 10m in space.

We have 4.7m (Lehtera), 4.0m (Simmonds), 2.8m (Elliot), 2.5m (Neuvirth), 2.4 (Raffl), 1.8 (Weal), 1.0m (Laughton), 0.9m (Konecny), and 0.9 (Provorov) coming off the books. That's 19.0m coming off plus 10.0m if cap doesn't rise setting us up at 29.0m to re-sign Provorov, Konency, Simmonds, Laughton, and two goalies. Let's say Lyon and Hart are our goalies by 2019-20, both their contracts should be about 1.0m. That leaves us with 27.0m for Provorov, Konecny, Simmonds, Laughton, and two forwards. Drop Simmonds at 6.0 and Provy at 8.0 for a total of 14.0m from that 27.0m leaving us with 13.0m in space to sign Konency, Laughton, and two forwards. Give Konency 5.0m a year on a bridge contract, and give Laughton 3.0m, you're left with 5.0m in space for two spare forwards.

The next year you gain 2.4 (Weise), 5.0 (Macdonald), 3.4 (Gudas), which adds another 10.8m to play with. True you have to replace AMac and Gudas, but that shouldn't be too hard. From that 10.8m+ you need to re-sign Lindblom and Patrick, but it's totally doable.

My point is, even guessing high on Simmonds. We can afford him and stay within budget.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
2023-24 is what Ron is worried about, last year of a 5 year deal.
Couts will need a new deal (no, if you think about signing JT, you don't let Couts walk).
Bunch of RFA contracts come due.

I'm sure he has a spreadsheet with possible contracts, and knows when he wants existing deals to expire so he can replace players as needed.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
If im the Flyers I am personally not offering Simmonds anything.

I hope that they trade Simmonds. I’ll be mighty disappointed if he’s not moved.

i think they have to make him an offer, can't be disrespectful to him after all he's done for the team.

my guess is Hextall will offer him fair market value, somewhere around 6m. but he'll keep the term VERY short. like 2 years max or something. which Simmonds will obviously turn down.

Reactions: BernieParent

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I'm not sure there is anybody on deck to take over Simmonds spot next year. I wouldn't be shocked if he's offered something like a 3/18.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I'm not really interested in a long term deal for Simmonds, who I expect to fall off a bit (good player for another 3 or 4 years, but not the Wayne that we all know). Signing Simmonds leaves basically no open spots in the top nine for a younger player for the foreseeable future. At least not if another trade is not made.

Giroux-Couturier-Konecny
JVR-Patrick-Voracek
Lindblom-Frost-XXX(Laughton?)
XXX-XXX-XXX

Those positions are pretty much a lock for the next 3 or 4 years. Realistically, a guy like Allison, Ratcliffe, or NAK should be able to fill that 3rd line RW spot in 2019-2020. And they'll come at a fraction of the cost. I really wish Allison would have turned pro this year. He's the guy that should be in the best position to take that spot if they let Simmonds walk, but with no pro experience, I fear that Hextall's going to want him the AHL for at least part of the 2019-2020 season.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I see what Simmonds stats are this year. He's not going to get as much PP time, and he's statistically a worse EV scorer than many believe. I could see Simmonds back at the 50-point range.

Then I'd offer him 5m/yr for 5 years. Maybe go as high as 6.

His highest 5v5 scoring season as a Flyer was 33 points in 81 games. He played 850 minutes out of 1030 with Giroux or Couturier in the top 6 (with the most other time centered by Schenn). He will play with neither on the 3rd line, likely with Laughton and Lindblom. That's not a bad line 3rd line, even a decent one, but for him to score 50 points, he will need close to 40 ES points (39 was his high in 15-16) and 10 PP points on a 2nd unit that's no sure thing. We will see if he gets as much 4v4/3v3 time given the success of Couturier-Konecny as a duo. That presents less non-5v5 ES scoring opportunities.

I worry he may have trouble getting much further than 40 points. Unless they shoehorn him in the top 6 and/or PP1, but that's not to the benefit of the team. That's to the benefit of Wayne's individual stats.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I think this season his lack of 5v5 scoring will be greatly exposed. I don't see us needing him for PP, so I don't see us needing him much.

If we wanted to though, we could is all I'm saying.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I worry he may have trouble getting much further than 40 points. Unless they shoehorn him in the top 6 and/or PP1, but that's not to the benefit of the team. That's to the benefit of Wayne's individual stats.

Exactly.

Really, we "should" just say goodbye in the offseason. Trading him for value does not help our team this moment, and as nice as more 1sts are, we have a pretty good team assembled that can do some offseason damage.

We're fine with or without Simmonds.

Without allows us to bring in some young blood. With gives us a nice third line forward who can play physical and will be a locker room presence for years, but he will be an expensive version of that.

So yeah. Take your pick.

Reactions: Patrick Division

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
6 million for 4 years. No NMC. If not, then we have to trade him.

Might be similar to the schenn situation when we knew his value would tank without PP time. Maybe even more evident.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
If Hextall can resign him for 3-4 years im for it...I mean the guy scores 20-30 goals a year. Ideally they would trade him. What's his actual market value to another team? I think he could get a 5-6 year contract for around 5.5-6

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
Isn't Simmonds pretty good at killing penalties? Maybe they change his role on the team ?

Reactions: eramosat

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Market value as UFA will be at least $7 million. What will the Flyers give him? I would imagine less than that but I'm not sure that he'll sign for less.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
Look at our list of forward prospects and tell me you want to pay Simmonds 4.0m-7.0m to kill penalties as a fourth liner at 33.

I agree i am all for trading him but IF they resign him what do u do with him idk.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I agree i am all for trading him but IF they resign him what do u do with him idk.

You sign him on a 2 year or you don't. So you don't because he won't take 2 years.

That's the shtick.

We have TONS of money if they really want to sign him. We can keep Simmonds.

Should we?

And if we're going to trade him, we should trade him now, because once the season starts, that ship has sailed unless for some reason we're out of playoff contention.

You gotta think that he plays out his contract here and walks for free as a 2019 UFA.

Reactions: Tripod

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad