Simmonds Expected AAV

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Give Konency 5.0m a year on a bridge contract, and give Laughton 3.0m, you're left with 5.0m in space for two spare forwards.

Why on earth would you give Konecny a bridge deal? That's a guy you buy a lot of years for cheap on.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I get Simmonds is the ultimate team-first Flyer, but if he takes ~$18 mil over ~$30+ mil on the market, that's just ridiculous. That's not hometown discount territory; that's passing up an additional 70% in salary on your BIG contract to be a 3rd line/PP2 ultimate Flyer. It's his money, but that's a questionable life decision. My worry is the Flyers offer closer to 5 years x $30 mil.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Adding JVR all but eliminates any need for Simmonds. It sucks but the best move is to trade him. I’ll live with it if he’s given 3 years or less, but it wouldn’t be the smart move.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
You sign him on a 2 year or you don't. So you don't because he won't take 2 years.

That's the shtick.

We have TONS of money if they really want to sign him. We can keep Simmonds.

Should we?

And if we're going to trade him, we should trade him now, because once the season starts, that ship has sailed unless for some reason we're out of playoff contention.

You gotta think that he plays out his contract here and walks for free as a 2019 UFA.
Exactly.

You offer 2 years and tell him this gives him the chance to win with us if he wants it. But we understand if he wants to go get a big contract long term with someone else.

He has 1 year left...Allison is in college. Simmonds is actually a bridge right now to Allison who will be 22 years old in Oct 2019. So if we let Simmonds play out the year, so be it.

I just view Simmonds as the last chance to "sell" an asset that has good value. If we could ever do that Brown+1st deal, it would just fit so perfectly. But oh well.

We just should not be signing him long term with the amount of kids on the way, how close they are, and with TK and Jake already ahead of him.

Head over heart decision, but it needs to be made.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Soon this will be Coots team, not G's. G, Voracek, and JVR are going to be pieces to the Coots, Patrick, Neck train.

That's how it should be and would've been without some stupid Luke Schenn bullshit in between.

Reactions: Tripod

nuclear reactor

Apr 5, 2010
Exactly.

You offer 2 years and tell him this gives him the chance to win with us if he wants it. But we understand if he wants to go get a big contract long term with someone else.

He has 1 year left...Allison is in college. Simmonds is actually a bridge right now to Allison who will be 22 years old in Oct 2019. So if we let Simmonds play out the year, so be it.

I just view Simmonds as the last chance to "sell" an asset that has good value. If we could ever do that Brown+1st deal, it would just fit so perfectly. But oh well.

We just should not be signing him long term with the amount of kids on the way, how close they are, and with TK and Jake already ahead of him.

Head over heart decision, but it needs to be made.
Allison might even be a flight risk if Simmonds is re-signed.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Hextall has the cap room, I'd rather give the money to Simmonds than sign another FA for $7-8M for 5-7 years and be forced to lose some kids.
Simmonds has the intangibles you'd like on a team where you're going to have a bunch of kids the next 3-4 years.
Yes, he won't perform up to his contract, but it's not my money - so if Hextall has the room, keep him.

But you can't go over 4 years, I think that's the point where the new contracts will start to squeeze.
When the veteran contracts expire, you'll either have to let them walk or resign them to short-term deals at a huge discount.
So keeping Simmons from 31-34 is not infeasible, 2023-2024 the contract expires, when he's 34.
Giroux in 2022-23, when he's 35. $8.25M toward Cout's new contract which will start that year when he's 30.
JVR in 2023-24 when he's 34. And Simmonds, $13M freed up.
Voracek in 2024-25 when he's 35.

Now Simmonds is also in a bind, if he doesn't sign an extension, he should request a trade to a team where he can be on the 2nd line and PP1 to pad his stats going into free agency.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

He'll be on an ELC, so by the time it expires, Simmonds will be on the way out, and if he proves himself, a big RFA contract awaits.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
IF he has a strong bounce back season..

I use the Stastny contract as a comparable and I offer $5.5 x 3 and see if maybe they can settle on $6 x 3.

If he decides to test the market after the offer, he will be a goner.

Last edited:

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
I think this is the reason Hextall is pushing Allison so hard to sign now. If he signs now he will send him to LV for a year and could be Simmers replacement the year after . With Allison not signing now it could alter Hextall's plan with Simmonds to force him to have to resign him and Simmer will want longer term which i can't blame him for . Being a GM ain't easy that's for sure , you can have a plan but stuff happens all the time to alter it .

nuclear reactor

Apr 5, 2010
He'll be on an ELC, so by the time it expires, Simmonds will be on the way out, and if he proves himself, a big RFA contract awaits.
Allison doesn't have to agree to an ELC. He plays this season, sees Simmonds extended for multiple years, decides to play his senior college season and then get courted by 10+ teams on August 15th.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Allison doesn't have to agree to an ELC. He plays this season, sees Simmonds extended for multiple years, decides to play his senior college season and then get courted by 10+ teams on August 15th.
Yup. With 9 of the top 9 spots locked up fairly long term, there's very few spots left for the prospects. Allison would have a lot of incentive at that point to return for his senior season and go the Vesey route.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Letting Simmonds play out the year and having ONE top 9 spot available next year is not the worst thing we can do.(Frost should have the #3C locked up unless an injury occurs).

We do need leave "some" spots for all the kids to go after. The best will rise to the top, others traded off like Marody was for futures to re-stock the pipeline. And then others kept for AHL depth.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Im torn I really am. Simmonds defines everything I love about the Flyers; a true warrior.
Still, he's not as effective a player as JVR. I used to like him but now I hate him because he's a sloth with no willpower.

JVR gets his contract purely based on natural talent not work ethic or character. Simmonds became what he is thru determination and will.

If we gotta Simm for JVR he better be worth it.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
After listening to two Hexy press conferences and hearing him talk so much about term, I can't see him offering any more than a 3 year deal. I mean I could, but it would just go against everything he is preaching.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I’ve said before I can see him going max 4 years with Simmonds. 4 years 28 million. But it doesn’t make sense because like someone previously mentioned it blocks literally every prospect from getting a top 9 chance.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
ffs....so do i have to worry about losing Allison now? its still likely he signs...right?

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Yup. With 9 of the top 9 spots locked up fairly long term, there's very few spots left for the prospects. Allison would have a lot of incentive at that point to return for his senior season and go the Vesey route.

Well, to be fair...his competition is Frost, Farabee, OBrien, Ratcliffe, Vorobyev...name a name...

Also, Giroux, Voracek, JVR, Lindblom, and Konecny are wingers for the long-haul.

So, let's assume that Frost ends up at 3C.

Now what Allison? What do you do? Beat out Laughton for a wing position?

If I'm a forward prospect NOT named Frost or Farabee or OBrien, I'm not too pleased looking out at my options. I have to wait for Giroux or Voracek to move on...which...yeah.

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005
Offer him nothing... trade him to 'win now' Vegas. We get their first and a veteran goalie

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Why on earth would you give Konecny a bridge deal? That's a guy you buy a lot of years for cheap on.
Bingo.
We may be able to get TK on a 6 x 4.5 deal depending on how the year goes.

For Wayne, I wouldn't go anything over 3-years.
As it stands right now, I'd do 3 x 6 and, as to not insult him because he's taking less term, probably kick in a NMC.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Well, to be fair...his competition is Frost, Farabee, OBrien, Ratcliffe, Vorobyev...name a name...

Also, Giroux, Voracek, JVR, Lindblom, and Konecny are wingers for the long-haul.

So, let's assume that Frost ends up at 3C.

Now what Allison? What do you do? Beat out Laughton for a wing position?

If I'm a forward prospect NOT named Frost or Farabee or OBrien, I'm not too pleased looking out at my options. I have to wait for Giroux or Voracek to move on...which...yeah.
You've got to hope your prospects don't have a loser's attitude.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
If you can get him 4 years and under, I'd consider it.

The problem for him now is that he's a luxury with JVR in town now and about to hit the wrong side of 30. Let's hope he bounces back and we trade him for some good asset/assets (namely RHD).

Reactions: wasup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad