Confirmed with Link: Signed: Vladislav Namestnikov (2X2)

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
In fairness to them Okposo has had multiple serious concussions, Ladd has had knee and back injuries, Eriksson has had multiple concussions and knee issues. 2016 UFAs are always brought up as a cautionary tale about signing UFAs but no one talks about how these guys just got recked by injuries. We signed Hatcher back in 2003 and his knee got wrecked and his career derailed. Krupp messed up his back. Maybe we shouldn't have signed Rafalski later on?

If you are Taylor Hall, do you answer a phone call from Steve Yzerman and the absolute ass Red Wings when you've probably got calls from GMs league wide? If you're Pietro and you're in heavy talks with Vegas who was a stone's throw away from the Finals this year and looks stacked for another several runs... are you or your agent picking up a call from the Wings?

The 1x8 contract Hall signed in Buffalo wasn't available to Detroit. The ability to make a 12M offer to Pietrangelo isn't available to Detroit. I can see wanting them to push for the guys like Brodie and Turris and what not who signed for reasonably more money... but most of those guys signed with better teams. FA is a cautionary tale because there are tons of times where it doesn't work out.

Boyle to NYR when we were going after him in 14... not a great use of 6M per for them.

Also...
https://www.si.com/hockey/news/down...orst-free-agent-signings-of-the-last-20-years

There were two pieces that it made sense to go hard after if you wanted a high cost option. One signed in Buffalo at 1x8. Maybe Yzerman could/should have tried working the phones to have that happen. I can imagine that Taylor Hall wouldn't even countenance accepting a phone call from Detroit if his goal was a one year "tide me over until teams get their stuff together" deal. Pietrangelo was linked to Toronto and Vegas for a long term deal. Why, if he's deep in discussions with good teams wanting to pay him big money would he listen to an abysmally bad team (currently) that might offer him a little more money. All of the other higher cost FAs on the market had some kind of very discernible wart that makes paying a premium for them kind of a dumb move.

Reactions: RedMenace

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Yeah, best case scenario I can see is 3 of these

Ryan has a decent comeback season (15-20 g, 35-40 point pace) and is moved for a second and 5th

Helm 50% retained for a late 2nd (Would accept a third though)

Glendenning for a late second (would accept a 3rd though)

Merril should he want to for a 3rd

Filppula for a 4th/5th

Ganger for a 4th

prices are what I see to be best case scenario returns. I can see us getting a lot of picks in return, but unfortunately in bargain bin deals

And what do you get from all these picks?

Has the AHL season officially been cancelled?

I do wonder if Yzerman knows something that's not public yet regarding the minors, kids in Europe, and NHL roster limits for next season.

I guess I should make fun of Stevie for bringing in a former player the way I would Holland but I don't know enough about Namestnikov to really judge this move.

Yzerman cant be criticised.

Ah. Garbage in, garbage out.

I think Cholo sticks.

In terms of NHL development - this year should have been dedicated to Cholo, Svech and maybe Timashov.
Because the pace of on-the-team development isn't going to slow.

Because in the next 2-3 years, we're going to also have to work in:
LD: Johansson. McIsaac.
RD: Seider. Lindstrom. Maybe Tuomisto.
W: Berggren. Raymond. Smith. Mastrosimone.
C: Veleno. Rasmussen. Pearson

All that assumes guys like Wallinder and Niederbach and Hanas aren't ready.

Not all those guys are gonna make it. Some will stall along the way.

I think Cholo/Svech/Timashov have shown enough at the NHL level that they deserve a good, long assessment.

Can't do that when you're going out and signing bargain basement cast-offs.

That's correct. Those young players have to get a chance.
The injuries occur so it will be their chance.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I don't have the same confidence. His old man would, without a doubt, and it's what saw the franchise values for the Tigers and Wings increase by leaps and bounds. Watching how he controls the checkbook with the Tigers, where being willing to spend can have a far greater and more immediate impact on a club, doesn't give me great hope for how he'll spend on the Wings.

I'm not sure you need so much elite talent now. I've already talked elsewhere about how Cup winning and contending teams are seeming to become more and more pedestrian, and that the way the draft lotto works makes being awful really not worth it. The elite players on those Pens teams were drafted nearly 20 years ago now. same with the Hawks. Ovi was drafted nearly 20 years ago.

Truth is we might not get that elite talent, unless we sign it (like Pietrangelo?). And waiting around for it to happen, and then for it to coincide with other pieces popping up in free agency, and then being able to afford those pieces, or able to deal for them...I've said it before, but you're asking to end up being in that area where you're always waiting for the perfect moment with the perfect player.

One year. Eight million. To play in Buffalo.

We didn't put a claim in on Johnson despite needing a 2C, instead going cheap on a TB retread in Namestnikov.
The one cap dump we pick up is a guy whose salary is $1.5m lower than his cap hit, of which $1m was a signing bonus that I think was already paid by NYR.
Abdelkader was bought out despite its effect on our cap number being negligible, though the amount of actual money being saved was $3m.
Bertuzzi is having to take the organization to arby to get a contract done.
Rumors of Mantha's deal is that the organization is seeking a shorter, cheaper deal.
And how much do you want to bet that we stash a bunch of guys in Europe for the whole season, pushing back their next contracts in Detroit or seriously hampering their bargaining stance?

You want to know how I know the Wings didn't aggressively pursue any good UFA? Because Yzerman's been cutting corners all summer. Do I want to pay good players to come to Detroit? Yes, because good players make the players around them better. Get rid of Ryan and Namestnikov, spend $13m on Hall and Johnson. Or even just the $8m on Hall because he allows us to shift Bert/Mantha down to line two, and they can carry one of our mediocre choices for that center spot. And that knocks other guys down to line three, and takes pressure off other kids coming into the lineup.

We have plenty of picks. We have plenty of players to deal for picks. What we don't have is enough good players. And, yeah, there comes a point where having more players in the system doesn't help you. You run out of contracts. You run out of places to put therm where they can still get playing time. You lose the ability to assess all of them and develop them properly. And second round picks aren't exactly horribly valuable.

Go back five years to 2015 draft and Sebastian Aho is the only 2nd rounder to put up more than 100 points in his career. In fact, he's the only player outside of the first round to do it. The 2016 draft, Debrincat is the only 2nd rounder to break 100 points. Jesper Bratt is the only other player outside of the 1st round to do it. From the 2017 draft, the highwater mark for production outside of the first round is...20 points. If we go all the way back to the 2014 draft. we finally start seeing multiple players break 100 points when drafted outside of the first round...five of them. There have been 17 players from the first round break 100 points. same in 2015. Just six in 2016. Only two from 2017, but 12 players have bested that high of 20 points leading rounds 2-7.

So, yeah, it'll be nice to have three picks in the second round again. In three years, one of them might score 20 points for us. In five years, if we're absurdly lucky, one might break 100 points for his career. So, you want another reason to overpay on legitimately good players? Because they will likely have higher value if we want to deal them later, too. Give Taylor Hall $12m this year. Or Pietrangelo. And promise to do whatever you can to facilitate a trade to a contender 2/3 of the way through the season. And you likely get at least a 1st out of it, and a lot higher likelihood that you then draft a guy who will put some decent numbers on the board for you in the next five years.

This is a long post and I know it goes off on a bit of a tangent, sorry about that, but stockpiling picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds is worse than playing the lotto. Even if we're overpaying better players to just come here for 2/3 of a season before being dealt, we're likely getting a far better return and a leg up on the rebuild than spending less on guys like Ryan, Namestnikov, and Merril. And whoever that guy from Vancouver is (I'm not trying to knock the guy with that, I really just can't remember his name).

Wow there is a lot to unpack here.
I'm going to attempt to make my points simple because I don't want to write an essay lol

Ok so your opening statement regarding Hall: "One year. Eight million. To play in Buffalo."
We can't bash any other team really, Detroit was putrid last season.
He also gets to play with Eichel, who is much better than Larkin.
His contract has a NMC & NTC so he decides if, when and where he is moved. That can hurt value come TDL.
As for giving Hall 12M this year, no. That sets a bad precedent for all future UFAs.
Wanna get overpaid by 4M? Talk to Detroit, they'll pay.

As for Tyler Johnson, Yzerman did not claim him. Why? I don't know, I thought he would have. I was also hoping that he would. I can speculate on reasons. Perhaps TJ did not want to wave for Detroit and Yzerman didn't want to pick up a 5M dollar cap hit on a 5'8 C who is regressing and doesn't want to be here.
The guys he did sign all seemed genuine in statements about wanting to be here despite the rebuild.
PR? Perhaps, but it seemed legit to me.

As for having plenty of picks, we have 2 extra 2nd round picks and 1 extra 3rd round pick in 2021. 3 extra for that draft.
In 2022 we have 1 extra 4th round pick. 1 extra for that draft.
That 4 total extra picks for the next 2 drafts. That's not plenty in my eyes, thats a few.
We have to have assets that can be sold. What if no one wants to buy Helm or Flipper? Well we have Ryan and company we can sell too. Diversifying your product is good.

I don't really think the 2nd round pick breaking 100 point things is a fair argument.
The only stats that are genuine there are when you went back to 2014 because of course guys drafted outside the first round take longer to develop. That's ok because we are picking higher in the first. Those first rounders will see time sooner and we can build up a good stable of prospects that need time to develop with later picks.

We also have to consider the very real possibility that the guys you feel we should have signed simply would not play for us. Yes, money talks but drastically overpaying UFAs is just not a good idea for more reasons than 1.

I also think COVID is playing a very big part in this offseason and I just don't see the corner cutting from Yzerman that you do.

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm sure the Tigers won't be making any money this year, and I'm not a baseball fan so I can't really go much further in that debate.

Krug, Markstrom, Murray, Hall, and Brodie contracts are showing that high end players aren't signing for huge discounts. Pietra is obviously looking for a contender to play for. The only real D available to us was probably Shatty, which is the equivalent of signing Green 6 years ago.

Top end players aren't going to sign with the Wings until there's more of a foundation anyways. You really don't want players willing to play for a losing team, that's how you wind up with Green and Daley. I said all summer that Brodie wasn't signing here, and people were throwing out $4M 2yr BS, lol.

#1D in 2021, #1C in 2022, goalie prospects with 2nd rd picks, start picking up vets in 2022 offseason. You're just gonna have to wait 2 more years.

TV money. National TV deals alone guarantee every MLB club at least $57m a year. With his payroll this year, and as long as MLB meets its game requirement for its tv contracts, Ilitch doesn't need to have a single ticket sold to make money on the Tigers. It's a nice gig if you can get it.

I think Markstrom is the only guy on that list who hit both term and salary expectations. Hall might have got $8m, but he got it for one year. Not five or six or seven. People were throwing around $8m for Krug. He got $6.5m. But here's the thing, even if you are not getting a discount, the fact that so few teams are in a position to spend gets you in the room where it wouldn't in a normal year.

I don't think the Wings are even picking up the phone to make the call, though. And I'm not sold that is going to change, regardless of who and where we pick the next two years. Chris Ilitch is not his old man.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
And what do you get from all these picks?

Yzerman cant be criticised.

That's correct. Those young players have to get a chance.
The injuries occur so it will be their chance.

Yzerman shouldn't be criticized for following a prudent strategy. Criticize him for not being ultra-aggressive to hit a home run with a guy like Pietrangelo... but when he's making moves that make sense in a world that has been borked sideways and you're not even sure that the NA minor leagues are even going to play... you lose me.

The young players like you say will get their chance WHEN, not if the veterans are hurt on this roster. Hasn't Detroit lead or been top 5 in man-games lost to injury for the last decade? Wouldn't it make sense for them to actually try to cultivate some depth so they're not forcing Joe Hicketts into action or signing Ryan Kuffner and Taro Hirose to take big minutes?

Everyone wanted a rebuild since 2012, right? Well this is a proper rebuild. Sorry that it isn't lollipops and gumdrops for you all.

Reactions: MoritzSeiderAtSix

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
It's not that he doesn't have the capability to be an NHL player. It's that he shouldn't be gifted a roster spot to be an NHL player over other guys just because we might lose him to waivers. If we do, we do. He's got potential. The like twenty prospects we've taken in the last year do as well. Guys like Fabbri and Timashov and others do. If Svech could keep himself healthy and really get into the swing of things, he could give Steve a tough decision. But right now? He's injury prone and eh.

No, I get what you’re saying and I wasn’t talking about you specifically

I agree that nobody should be gifted a roster spot ever, and yeah his injuries are alarming but he deserves a chance to show he’s NHL material

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
TV money. National TV deals alone guarantee every MLB club at least $57m a year. With his payroll this year, and as long as MLB meets its game requirement for its tv contracts, Ilitch doesn't need to have a single ticket sold to make money on the Tigers. It's a nice gig if you can get it.

I think Markstrom is the only guy on that list who hit both term and salary expectations. Hall might have got $8m, but he got it for one year. Not five or six or seven. People were throwing around $8m for Krug. He got $6.5m. But here's the thing, even if you are not getting a discount, the fact that so few teams are in a position to spend gets you in the room where it wouldn't in a normal year.

I don't think the Wings are even picking up the phone to make the call, though. And I'm not sold that is going to change, regardless of who and where we pick the next two years. Chris Ilitch is not his old man.

I think I could have lived with that deal for Hall.... he makes $8M. Holds the strings on a trade at the deadline.
We get paid handsomely.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

The whole reason why team's salary commitments in COVID 2020 were so low in comparison is because of the crazy negotiations for clawbacks on existing salaries. You can't look at salary implications in 2020 and project them to mean a f***ing thing. Mike Trout was slated to make 37.7 million this year... Because of the negotiations to get baseball back in place for the 60 games... his salary went down to 13.95m. That's not going to happen again. No way in hell the players like Trout commit to tossing another 24 million into the fire for 2021 and beyond.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Wow there is a lot to unpack here.
I'm going to attempt to make my points simple because I don't want to write an essay lol

Ok so your opening statement regarding Hall: "One year. Eight million. To play in Buffalo."
We can't bash any other team really, Detroit was putrid last season.
He also gets to play with Eichel, who is much better than Larkin.
His contract has a NMC & NTC so he decides if, when and where he is moved. That can hurt value come TDL.
As for giving Hall 12M this year, no. That sets a bad precedent for all future UFAs.
Wanna get overpaid by 4M? Talk to Detroit, they'll pay.

As for Tyler Johnson, Yzerman did not claim him. Why? I don't know, I thought he would have. I was also hoping that he would. I can speculate on reasons. Perhaps TJ did not want to wave for Detroit and Yzerman didn't want to pick up a 5M dollar cap hit on a 5'8 C who is regressing and doesn't want to be here.
The guys he did sign all seemed genuine in statements about wanting to be here despite the rebuild.
PR? Perhaps, but it seemed legit to me.

As for having plenty of picks, we have 2 extra 2nd round picks and 1 extra 3rd round pick in 2021. 3 extra for that draft.
In 2022 we have 1 extra 4th round pick. 1 extra for that draft.
That 4 total extra picks for the next 2 drafts. That's not plenty in my eyes, thats a few.
We have to have assets that can be sold. What if no one wants to buy Helm or Flipper? Well we have Ryan and company we can sell too. Diversifying your product is good.

I don't really think the 2nd round pick breaking 100 point things is a fair argument.
The only stats that are genuine there are when you went back to 2014 because of course guys drafted outside the first round take longer to develop. That's ok because we are picking higher in the first. Those first rounders will see time sooner and we can build up a good stable of prospects that need time to develop with later picks.

We also have to consider the very real possibility that the guys you feel we should have signed simply would not play for us. Yes, money talks but drastically overpaying UFAs is just not a good idea for more reasons than 1.

I also think COVID is playing a very big part in this offseason and I just don't see the corner cutting from Yzerman that you do.

Yeah, sorry about the book I sent in my last post.

I wasn't really trying to bash Buffalo so much as make a point that if Buffalo can get in the door and get a guy like Hall to sign on, even for a year, the idea that we can't is either wrong or scary. Buffalo might have Eichel but they also have years of crappy management behind them. We have Yzerman and his track record in Tampa should count for something in selling these guys a vision of playing for Detroit.

I think the 100 point mark is fair depending on when we expect/need these picks to start panning out for us. If we have to start looking 5-6-7 years out for 2-7 round picks to contribute then I think we should maybe rethink this idea of bottoming out for another 2-3 years and what that likely does to the careers of Larkin/Bert/Mantha. If we're hoping to see these guys play significant roles on a good team, we should probably be working harder at making that happen sooner rather than later.

I think my opinion of this summer would be different if there was any noise about the wings at least trying to go after some of the bigger fish, or if they didn't make moves (such as the Gator buyout) that were really seem to be motivated by saving Ilitch money rather than bettering the team. The impression I've gotten is that the Wings aren't signing guys like Ryan/Stecher/Nemestnikov because they swung and missed on the bigger guys, but because those are the guys the Wings targeted from the start. And that's not a good sign to me.

Reactions: MoritzSeiderAtSix

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
At the end of the day, having some competition for the kids is never a bad thing. If guys like Svech, Zadina, Ras etc. want to play, out work these vets in practice & training camp. Force them to play you.

For the record I want to see Svech play, and I will be upset if he doesnt, but I'd like to see him take a spot opposed to being given one just cause.

Like I said. led the team in prescoring last pre-season.
4 points. Same as hirose.
In about half the minutes.
Then when he was in Detroit, averaged 13 shots on goal/60.
Astronomical.
If you, like me, were watching Svech thinking, holy f***, he doesn't skate well, but he gets the puck to the net a lot... well the stats back that up.

And he got bumped. And coach, for some reason, gave Givani Smith like 4 times as much time in Detroit.
So, what does he need to do to "take it."
We kept sending Abby, Erne, Ehn, Helm, Perlini, etc over the boards for awful, awful results.

What's gonna change?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Krug wasn't going to get $8M in any market. I looks at all the UFA signings and I don't think any of them would have helped the Wings long aside from Turris.

Chris is a hockey player, which means he's a hockey fan. Red Wings have a new arena, they can make money with a playoff team. I have no doubt that when the time is right he will spend the money because it makes business sense. So far I've predicted most of Stevie/Chris' moves correctly, I have full confidence in both of them.

Everyone here who has ignored the business aspect of the team has been disappointed. Seems like you're just venting....

I have faith.... though I'm probably gonna be rooting for the Kraken in the Krak house with Krak whores in 2 years. I live in WA.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Like I said. led the team in prescoring last pre-season.
4 points. Same as hirose.
In about half the minutes.
Then when he was in Detroit, averaged 13 shots on goal/60.
Astronomical.
If you, like me, were watching Svech thinking, holy f***, he doesn't skate well, but he gets the puck to the net a lot... well the stats back that up.

And he got bumped. And coach, for some reason, gave Givani Smith like 4 times as much time in Detroit.
So, what does he need to do to "take it."
We kept sending Abby, Erne, Ehn, Helm, Perlini, etc over the boards for awful, awful results.

What's gonna change?

Show up the guys he's competing with in practice and in training camp. The 6min/game he plays which is too small of a sample size anyways isn't the only place he can impress.
For the record, I want Svech to play.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The whole reason why team's salary commitments in COVID 2020 were so low in comparison is because of the crazy negotiations for clawbacks on existing salaries. You can't look at salary implications in 2020 and project them to mean a f***ing thing. Mike Trout was slated to make 37.7 million this year... Because of the negotiations to get baseball back in place for the 60 games... his salary went down to 13.95m. That's not going to happen again. No way in hell the players like Trout commit to tossing another 24 million into the fire for 2021 and beyond.

Sorry, you're right, the Tigers would have had $100m payroll. Do I need to dig up the local TV money then? Ilitch was made money in 2018 and 2019, by all appearances I bet he made money in 2020.

And do you know what the Tigers salary commitments are for 2021. Miggy gets $30m. That's it. Everyone else is either UFA, arby eligible, or don't even have arbitration rights yet. You think he's going to go crazy and blow the Tigers salary to a point where he pulls a loss in 2021? For some reason I have my doubts.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Krug wasn't going to get $8M in any market. I looks at all the UFA signings and I don't think any of them would have helped the Wings long aside from Turris.

Chris is a hockey player, which means he's a hockey fan. Red Wings have a new arena, they can make money with a playoff team. I have no doubt that when the time is right he will spend the money because it makes business sense. So far I've predicted most of Stevie/Chris' moves correctly, I have full confidence in both of them.

Everyone here who has ignored the business aspect of the team has been disappointed. Seems like you're just venting....

I have faith.... though I'm probably gonna be rooting for the Kraken in the Krak house with Krak whores in 2 years. I live in WA.

:rolleyes:

I think we just disagree on the best path for moving forward with the wings and the motivations of Chris Ilitch. He has bareboned the Tigers for years and, by all appearances, he is bareboning the Wings.

Also, I wasn't a Turris fan and I'm not sure how signing Krug wouldn't have helped this team.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Sorry, you're right, the Tigers would have had $100m payroll. Do I need to dig up the local TV money then? Ilitch was made money in 2018 and 2019, by all appearances I bet he made money in 2020.

And do you know what the Tigers salary commitments are for 2021. Miggy gets $30m. That's it. Everyone else is either UFA, arby eligible, or don't even have arbitration rights yet. You think he's going to go crazy and blow the Tigers salary to a point where he pulls a loss in 2021? For some reason I have my doubts.

No, but if you look at any conversations had with Al Avila in the last four years... they always pegged 2021 as the year they'd have money. The year they'd try to make something happen. Blow the salary to where he has a big loss? No. But add substantial salary to where they might actually have any kind of chance of accomplishing anything but being the worst team in baseball? Yup.

The Tigers in 2016 and 2017 committed to doing what the Astros did. Get the longterm, onerous deals off the books and build a far more reasonable salary structure that was within their means. They spent ridiculously freely because Mr. I wanted a title and in doing so, mortgaged the future of the 2016-2021 seasons. To get everything back into some semblance of reasonability (and to avoid triggering the luxury tax), they committed to scaling back.

You're taking completely reasonable moves to ensure financial stability and ascribing nefarious "penny-pinching" ways.

Reactions: Gniwder

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
No, but if you look at any conversations had with Al Avila in the last four years... they always pegged 2021 as the year they'd have money. The year they'd try to make something happen. Blow the salary to where he has a big loss? No. But add substantial salary to where they might actually have any kind of chance of accomplishing anything but being the worst team in baseball? Yup.

The Tigers in 2016 and 2017 committed to doing what the Astros did. Get the longterm, onerous deals off the books and build a far more reasonable salary structure that was within their means. They spent ridiculously freely because Mr. I wanted a title and in doing so, mortgaged the future of the 2016-2021 seasons. To get everything back into some semblance of reasonability (and to avoid triggering the luxury tax), they committed to scaling back.

You're taking completely reasonable moves to ensure financial stability and ascribing nefarious "penny-pinching" ways.

Get back to me when Ilitch actually follows through. He has refused to spend on the Tigers, on the field or off. He's slowly doing the same thing to the Wings. If you want to stand by him on faith alone, have at it. For me, he needs to step up.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

I think we just disagree on the best path for moving forward with the wings and the motivations of Chris Ilitch. He has bareboned the Tigers for years and, by all appearances, he is bareboning the Wings.

Also, I wasn't a Turris fan and I'm not sure how signing Krug wouldn't have helped this team.

They've been open about why they are bare-boning the Tigers. Mr. I did a lot of fantastic things for that franchise. But he also spend wildly beyond the team's means, because, by god, he couldn't take it with him. Detroit can't sustain a payroll of 200m+. They couldn't. And it doesn't make much sense for them to dump 30-50m on top of their current 100m payroll on what was available in the FA market... not when they've been collecting the guys like Mize, Faedo, Skubal, Manning, Turnbull, Torkelson, Green, etc. in the minors who still largely have a couple years before they hit the league in a big way. The Tigers in 2016 had a 200 million dollar payroll, no prospects worth a damn, a very aged roster that stood no chance at a divison, let alone a World Series. So after Dombrowski was fired, they tried setting out on an effort to improve their farm system (which they have immensely through trades, being awful to get top picks, and more devotion to looking at sabermetrics). They set out to either deal off the albatross contracts they had by eating cash or ride out the particularly bad ones that nobody would take. They accomplished that too.

I just think it's not "bare-boning" when you're trying to rebuild and operate in a smarter fashion. Chris hasn't had any point in his time as owner that it made ANY sense to go ham in chasing players with money. And even then... the Wings were doling out LTIR money to keep using cap. The Wings had the 10m x 7 and the willingness to pay it to Stamkos if he'd have taken their call. They dropped about 11m to external FAs in 18 and paid Larkin, Mantha, and AA another 10.

I understand that you look at Chris and see reasons for pessimism. I see reasons for why they're doing what they're doing that aren't "skeleton-crewing the roster".

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net

I don't give a shit about baseball, but why do you even want to stick your neck out on an assertion that absolutely can not (or at least will not) ever be confirmed? Unless you have direct ties to "someone in the know," that's a really shaky hill on which to die.

As others have said, and I guess it really bears repeating: Players have to want to play here. Maybe they don't like Michigan. Maybe they don't like Blashill. Maybe they don't like Yzerman. Maybe they don't like one or more of the players on the team, Maybe they don't like the system. Maybe a Little Caesars employee kicked their dog. Maybe they don't like the way the Wings have been tracking, and don't want to take the chance on being stuck in an Oilers-esque rebuild.

Complaints like these drive me nuts. You can't force a free agent to do anything, and you can't do anything about someone who won't waive their NTC to come here. You assert that SFY didn't even make an effort; were you willing to give Krug 8x7? Would he have even taken it from Detroit? Tyler Johnson wouldn't or hasn't yet waived for Detroit. Fleury wouldn't or hasn't. Petro has his pick of suitors, do you want to give him 10x7? 11x7? Hall likely wanted a chance to play with skilled centers; outside of Larkin, who do we have? Obviously any potential pitches made by SFY were unsuccessful, but to make the claim that they're not even trying?

Come on.

Get back to me when Ilitch actually follows through. He has refused to spend on the Tigers, on the field or off. He's slowly doing the same thing to the Wings. If you want to stand by him on faith alone, have at it. For me, he needs to step up.

You're picking the wrong time in history for this argument, mate.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

That's what I'm doing. The Tigers' pre-COVID plan was to start opening it back up in 2021. I'm going to at least give them the opportunity to act.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Bareboning the Wings? Everyone knows the team was handicapped by bad contracts. This is the first season where we've had any sort of cap space, this coming offseason will be the first opportunity to really buy any talent.

There is not a single team in the salary cap era that has build a successful team through free agency. The current path is the most sensible path.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Yeah, sorry about the book I sent in my last post.

I wasn't really trying to bash Buffalo so much as make a point that if Buffalo can get in the door and get a guy like Hall to sign on, even for a year, the idea that we can't is either wrong or scary. Buffalo might have Eichel but they also have years of crappy management behind them. We have Yzerman and his track record in Tampa should count for something in selling these guys a vision of playing for Detroit.

I think the 100 point mark is fair depending on when we expect/need these picks to start panning out for us. If we have to start looking 5-6-7 years out for 2-7 round picks to contribute then I think we should maybe rethink this idea of bottoming out for another 2-3 years and what that likely does to the careers of Larkin/Bert/Mantha. If we're hoping to see these guys play significant roles on a good team, we should probably be working harder at making that happen sooner rather than later.

I think my opinion of this summer would be different if there was any noise about the wings at least trying to go after some of the bigger fish, or if they didn't make moves (such as the Gator buyout) that were really seem to be motivated by saving Ilitch money rather than bettering the team. The impression I've gotten is that the Wings aren't signing guys like Ryan/Stecher/Nemestnikov because they swung and missed on the bigger guys, but because those are the guys the Wings targeted from the start. And that's not a good sign to me.
The coach in Buffalo had a lot to do with Hall signing there. Played for him in Edmonton and just raves about the guy.
Just thought I'd mention that then step out of the way of what has been an interesting and proper discussion.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida

More krak to ya, but you can't just abandon us and the wings like that, can you?

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
I don't have the same confidence. His old man would, without a doubt, and it's what saw the franchise values for the Tigers and Wings increase by leaps and bounds. Watching how he controls the checkbook with the Tigers, where being willing to spend can have a far greater and more immediate impact on a club, doesn't give me great hope for how he'll spend on the Wings.

I'm not sure you need so much elite talent now. I've already talked elsewhere about how Cup winning and contending teams are seeming to become more and more pedestrian, and that the way the draft lotto works makes being awful really not worth it. The elite players on those Pens teams were drafted nearly 20 years ago now. same with the Hawks. Ovi was drafted nearly 20 years ago.

Truth is we might not get that elite talent, unless we sign it (like Pietrangelo?). And waiting around for it to happen, and then for it to coincide with other pieces popping up in free agency, and then being able to afford those pieces, or able to deal for them...I've said it before, but you're asking to end up being in that area where you're always waiting for the perfect moment with the perfect player.

One year. Eight million. To play in Buffalo.

We didn't put a claim in on Johnson despite needing a 2C, instead going cheap on a TB retread in Namestnikov.
The one cap dump we pick up is a guy whose salary is $1.5m lower than his cap hit, of which $1m was a signing bonus that I think was already paid by NYR.
Abdelkader was bought out despite its effect on our cap number being negligible, though the amount of actual money being saved was $3m.
Bertuzzi is having to take the organization to arby to get a contract done.
Rumors of Mantha's deal is that the organization is seeking a shorter, cheaper deal.
And how much do you want to bet that we stash a bunch of guys in Europe for the whole season, pushing back their next contracts in Detroit or seriously hampering their bargaining stance?

You want to know how I know the Wings didn't aggressively pursue any good UFA? Because Yzerman's been cutting corners all summer. Do I want to pay good players to come to Detroit? Yes, because good players make the players around them better. Get rid of Ryan and Namestnikov, spend $13m on Hall and Johnson. Or even just the $8m on Hall because he allows us to shift Bert/Mantha down to line two, and they can carry one of our mediocre choices for that center spot. And that knocks other guys down to line three, and takes pressure off other kids coming into the lineup.

We have plenty of picks. We have plenty of players to deal for picks. What we don't have is enough good players. And, yeah, there comes a point where having more players in the system doesn't help you. You run out of contracts. You run out of places to put therm where they can still get playing time. You lose the ability to assess all of them and develop them properly. And second round picks aren't exactly horribly valuable.

Go back five years to 2015 draft and Sebastian Aho is the only 2nd rounder to put up more than 100 points in his career. In fact, he's the only player outside of the first round to do it. The 2016 draft, Debrincat is the only 2nd rounder to break 100 points. Jesper Bratt is the only other player outside of the 1st round to do it. From the 2017 draft, the highwater mark for production outside of the first round is...20 points. If we go all the way back to the 2014 draft. we finally start seeing multiple players break 100 points when drafted outside of the first round...five of them. There have been 17 players from the first round break 100 points. same in 2015. Just six in 2016. Only two from 2017, but 12 players have bested that high of 20 points leading rounds 2-7.

So, yeah, it'll be nice to have three picks in the second round again. In three years, one of them might score 20 points for us. In five years, if we're absurdly lucky, one might break 100 points for his career. So, you want another reason to overpay on legitimately good players? Because they will likely have higher value if we want to deal them later, too. Give Taylor Hall $12m this year. Or Pietrangelo. And promise to do whatever you can to facilitate a trade to a contender 2/3 of the way through the season. And you likely get at least a 1st out of it, and a lot higher likelihood that you then draft a guy who will put some decent numbers on the board for you in the next five years.

This is a long post and I know it goes off on a bit of a tangent, sorry about that, but stockpiling picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds is worse than playing the lotto. Even if we're overpaying better players to just come here for 2/3 of a season before being dealt, we're likely getting a far better return and a leg up on the rebuild than spending less on guys like Ryan, Namestnikov, and Merril. And whoever that guy from Vancouver is (I'm not trying to knock the guy with that, I really just can't remember his name).
I'll take this point by point as best I can:
  1. The Wings don't have a spare Eichel or even an extra Stone, let alone a ROR, to attract big name FAs. We aren't a destination for FAs anymore, and won't be for quite awhile, so we can't be surprised when a big name FA chooses to go elsewhere. Krug would have been nice for a few years, but I'm real leary of giving any player near or at 30 term, especially when we aren't even in contention for a playoff spot, let alone Cup contenders, for at leas the near term. 30+ year old players will likely be dead weight akin to Seabrook, but without three Cups to ease the sting of having them in the press box. At this point, I'm praying to whatever god I can that the Wings have their act together enough to make a huge offer to Barkov in two years and be attractive enough for him to at least take Yzerman's call. It's extremely unlikely, but he's exactly the kind of UFA that is worth whatever money it takes to sign him.
  2. But even if Barkov doesn't come to Hockeytown, having the salary structure in place to take on someone like him will help this team out in the long term. Look at TML, a team that couldn't get any of its big name players to take less and will be in salary cap hell even without a flat cap. I want Yzerman fighting to save every dollar he can on contracts, because having the reputation for being a pushover will make negotiations exponentially more difficult. If the next Cup contending Red Wings team needs to go out and get a player, I don't want that process to be hampered by bad deals or by over committing to role players. Which is why I'm okay with Bert going to arbitration (though I'm not totally convinced it isn't a ploy by the Wings to buyout Nielsen), as it sets the precedent that players won't just be handed a blank check if they perform half way decently.
  3. To that point, taking on TJ for free is doing exactly that. We don't know if TJ will waive for Detroit or not, but we do know that Stevie, nor any other team, is interested in services, for that cap hit, precisely because of both the flat cap and that his play has declined. While he may be a 2C on this Wings team by being remotely capable in the offensive end, he is a player that is on the wrong side of 30 and is going to quickly be closer to a Nielsen level player than not. The Wings are almost free from of all the bad contracts to aging vets, I don't want Stevie bringing in TJ or the equivalent, in a flat cap world, without bringing back assets. As I've said elsewhere, there's only so much space for cap dumps, and taking on TJ for free would have the opportunity cost of taking a cap dump with assets.
  4. Furthermore, other than Staal, the Wings' roster moves have all had upside to gain even more assets. Every move (save Staal) thus far has maintained the greatest possible cap flexibility and salary savings, while also giving the Wings a plethora of potential players to move at the TDL. Pretty much half the roster could be moved if the player happens to put a good season together, as they are signed pretty cheaply and for only two years at max. And this is on top of saving plenty of space of for cap dumps.
  5. I agree that we don't enough talent, but Free Agency is only one of the ways to get it. While there are plenty of picks in the system and on the horizon, the draft is the best and most proven way of getting talent on an NHL roster, given the inherent unreliability of FA and the oftentimes low talent level of college or European signings. So why not get more of them if possible? I'm not sure where the obsession with counting stats and draft picks come from, 100 points is a fairly arbitrary stat as plenty of middling or near replacement level players will hit that mark provided they play long enough. The Wings already have a player in Filip Hronek is on his way to hitting that career total, as a late 2nd round defensemen nonetheless. It only takes one player to meet or exceed their projections to a high level to begin righting the ship.
  6. Obviously a 1st round pick gives a much better likelihood of getting an NHL player, but players who are actually worth trading a 1st round pick for are rare, and usually will maneuver to have trade protections of some variety. Or if not, they are simply too valuable to their teams to move. Your premise is ultimately flawed because you assume that players who are obviously worth a 1st (like Pie or Hall or whomever) regardless of if they sign pump and dump deals (pump up stats and dump at the TDL) would want to sign in Detroit for an overpay in the first place. It's quite clear they don't want to spend their prime on a team that doesn't have elite talent anywhere on the roster. But even then, if we wanted to outbid Buffalo or whomever for a top FA like Hall on a short term deal, Detroit would ultimately be damaging their trade by doing so. Offering too much more money will eventually lower the trade value down to the point where, in a flat cap, a trade won't have near the ROI to be worth it. There's a fine line with this sorta thing given the current outlook for the league, so I'm not sure how much more Buffalo could have given for Hall to make the salary, with retention, make sense. They had to give him an NTC and NMC, otherwise his ask would probably have been well north of the final AAV they agreed to.
  7. Also, as an aside, I'm not sure what the problem would be to having too many young players. If any of them make it to the point of being legit NHL roster players, they will be the catalyst to moving current players for assets. It's always better to have a cost-controlled asset on an ELC or with RFA status if the on ice performance won't take too much of a hit. Or if there are multiple young players coming down the pipeline that have potential, and there simply isn't enough roster space for them, then they make great trade pieces on their own, provided they aren't sold for too low.
  8. All that being the case, we simply don't know how cheaply Illitch wants to run the Red Wings, but hockey is by far his preferred sport so I'm sure he will be willing to spend up the cap once this roster has solid, Cup contending, core. He could be the next Melnyk, but the Staal trade was definitely not the most salary-oriented move, so I have some hope that Yzerman has the clearance to spend if its deemed beneficial enough.
I felt like you brought up a lot of good points, and I won't even touch on the way the Tigers have been handled because I know little about baseball. All that being said, I like the Namestinkov signing in a vacuum, but it does make me wonder how the younger forwards are going to see icetime, unless there is a wrinkle or two that aren't public knowledge yet.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
More krak to ya, but you can't just abandon us and the wings like that, can you?
When Tsweeney makes more sense than Winger98, it's probably time to leave.

All joking aside, I'll probably still be here, because I'm a glutton for punishment. Not enough to be a Lions fan, but I did watch the Caps through their whole rebuild.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad