Confirmed with Link: Signed: Vladislav Namestnikov (2X2)

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I was kinda hoping Namestnikov was not going to follow Steve here but whatever. He seemed to be pretty underwhelming everywhere he's played. Not sure its worth the 2 mill but its not going to hurt.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Not really sure about this signing. He is another 30 ish point forward who isn't great at anything, is he?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Get back to me when Ilitch actually follows through. He has refused to spend on the Tigers, on the field or off. He's slowly doing the same thing to the Wings. If you want to stand by him on faith alone, have at it. For me, he needs to step up.

Now isn't time to spend big money on UFA's though. If we had landed Lafreniere than I would have been more on the get Krug or Pietrangelo, but our draft pick isn't even coming over this year, and neither is our top D prospect. Because of this and other reasons, this is a sit on the patience train and ride til next year.

Reactions: gbdet

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Yzerman shouldn't be criticized for following a prudent strategy. Criticize him for not being ultra-aggressive to hit a home run with a guy like Pietrangelo... but when he's making moves that make sense in a world that has been borked sideways and you're not even sure that the NA minor leagues are even going to play... you lose me.

The young players like you say will get their chance WHEN, not if the veterans are hurt on this roster. Hasn't Detroit lead or been top 5 in man-games lost to injury for the last decade? Wouldn't it make sense for them to actually try to cultivate some depth so they're not forcing Joe Hicketts into action or signing Ryan Kuffner and Taro Hirose to take big minutes?

Everyone wanted a rebuild since 2012, right? Well this is a proper rebuild. Sorry that it isn't lollipops and gumdrops for you all.
I quoted and replied to 3 different posters and 3 different topics.

Nobody knows if this is the proper way to rebuild until we actually have something to show for it.

Referring to the facts we just finished dead last. Many posters say the team was unwatchable.

Majority of the posters complain about the irrelevant things.

I think Yzerman and Blashill understand each other and work together just fine.

I have mainly focused on the players who I believe will be here in 5/10 years.

When I think about the posters and discussions I still remember big discussions and many discussions about for instance Kuznetsov and Wallin. Those 2 played combined 100 NHL games, however people would beat to death who is better of those 2, while we now know that those 2 contributed to the glory days like 0,00001% at most.

The same is now. There are many posters who insist on criticising Blashill. That is to me the same as the Wallin Kuznetsov discussion.
Blashills job is to make sure we lose. We can't get top draft picks unless we finish bottom 3.

I am happy how the young core players have developed under Blashill and I am happy to see Yzerman is adding them the needed help without hurting their development.

I am a bit surprised Yzerman did not add one big name, but maybe he will de it next season.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
When Tsweeney makes more sense than Winger98, it's probably time to leave.

All joking aside, I'll probably still be here, because I'm a glutton for punishment. Not enough to be a Lions fan, but I did watch the Caps through their whole rebuild.

Well I never!
E: :laugh:

Reactions: RedMenace

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
How do you get top 5 if you don't finish bottom 3?

Not everyone wants to rebuild that way.

Just because a vocal contingent of those people exists, doesn't mean everyone -- especially those who matter in the Wings organ-I-zation -- think the same way.

You don't need consistent bottom of the league finishes to rebuild a team. Seriously. You need a GM who has solid plans A, B, C, D, etc for as many contingencies as possible.

For example, what if the Wings don't get a bottom-5 finish this year? Is everyone here going to just say, "AHHHHHHHGGGGGG I f***ing quit this team is terrible they can't even tank right rabblerabblerabble?"

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Not everyone wants to rebuild that way.

Just because a vocal contingent of those people exists, doesn't mean everyone -- especially those who matter in the Wings organ-I-zation -- think the same way.

You don't need consistent bottom of the league finishes to rebuild a team. Seriously. You need a GM who has solid plans A, B, C, D, etc for as many contingencies as possible.

For example, what if the Wings don't get a bottom-5 finish this year? Is everyone here going to just say, "AHHHHHHHGGGGGG I f***ing quit this team is terrible they can't even tank right rabblerabblerabble?"

This board has been due for a good mopping.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA

For anyone that claims that last line, we've added maybe 6 or 7 wins after these signings which still would've been good for... last place.

I wouldn't worry about the tank too much lol.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
For anyone that claims that last line, we've added maybe 6 or 7 wins after these signings which still would've been good for... last place.

I wouldn't worry about the tank too much lol.

Oh, I'm never worried about the tank, I'm more worried about my sanity when reading these boards.

Though, I've taken a break before, I can certainly do it again.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Oh, I'm never worried about the tank, I'm more worried about my sanity when reading these boards.

Though, I've taken a break before, I can certainly do it again.

upload_2020-10-12_10-43-11.png

I kinda figured they might not love a completely uncensored large F-bomb.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
Do you try to say he is horrible coach

Not at all, and I don't think it's his "job" to lose games and tank the team into last place.

I don't like a lot of the personnel decisions he's made, but that could have been due to the personnel. I don't like the system he employs (is there even one?), because the team wasn't built for that. The only reason I called for his ouster was because he wasn't working well with the pieces we had.

I said previously that it's easier to replace a coach than it is an entire team.

I may have been wrong about that.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
It's like I'm in the COVID Twilight Zone, I'm pretty much agreeing with everything you've had to say in this thread and disagreeing completely with Winger. I'm really confused. Just tell me you guys swapped user names or something....

Naw... it's just kind of like the old HF boards adage... if both sides hate a deal it's probably fair. I actually try my best to talk sense on what I say. Sometimes I just have a strong opinion the other way. I'm with you on Winger though. I was actually surprised at how strong he came in this topic.

To be honest, I see Winger's point, though. He's coming from a place where Chris Ilitch has pretty much, prior to taking ownership, been a business-first, dollars and cents kind of guy. An owner like that is kind of anathema to someone who really doesn't care for public money being used for stadiums (a reasonable position to hold). I just know that right this second, the Tigers have been basically following the idea that the Astros used. We suck now and have no prospect future, so we're going to rein in spending and focus on building a farm system so we can get back up to reasonable spending later. Why spend tens of millions to be mediocre now when you could drop in those tens of millions when you have a core of young, good players and maybe make yourself great. Same with the Wings. Ever since the institution of the cap, we've been capped out. We've had the flexibility to make moves, but it was always with the aim of spending to the cap.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I think the Krug vote is a pretty good baseline for satisfaction with Yzerman. If you are for signing Krug I don't think you are in line with Yzerman's plans and style for building. I think a lot of the Holland supporters morphed into the sign everyone crowd. People who wanted to go for it every year because why wouldn't you are the ones the most vocal now about how bad we suck. The fact is a team pays a price for going for it which is giving up assets you will need down the road. The price for a cup window is decline. You need a GM that recognizes when your window closes so you can stop the bleeding and restock the cupboards. This rebuild would not have had to be this bad if we had a GM and Owner that understood what a cup window with Abby and Neilsen on your top line would mean to 2019-2020.

I think this poll shows how much of a minority of the board doesn't understand how rebuilding works but are also quite vocal just like back in the Holland apologist days.

upload_2020-10-12_10-55-3.png

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I think the Krug vote is a pretty good baseline for satisfaction with Yzerman. If you are for signing Krug I don't think you are in line with Yzerman's plans and style for building. I think a lot of the Holland supporters morphed into the sign everyone crowd. People who wanted to go for it every year because why wouldn't you are the ones the most vocal now about how bad we suck. The fact is a team pays a price for going for it which is giving up assets you will need down the road. The price for a cup window is decline. You need a GM that recognizes when your window closes so you can stop the bleeding and restock the cupboards.

I think this poll shows how much of a minority of the board doesn't understand how rebuilding works but are also quite vocal just like back in the Holland apologist days.

View attachment 372327

No. Stop trying to stratify people. There is no need to bring up "Oh, you old Holland apologists!"

Ken Holland was and still is a great GM. He made some very very mind-boggling dumb decisions in the mid 2010s.

Steve Yzerman is a great GM.

If you look at Ken Holland's moves post 2016 (largely, post Mr. I's death... RIP), he was making the same kind of rebuilding moves that you're now lauding Yzerman for. We had 10-12 picks annually from 2017 on. There was ONE season in which it was Yzerman pulling the strings on dealing the guys to get these picks. And it's not like they just added a bunch of 7ths. In the last four years, the Wings have had 18 draft picks in the top 3 rounds.

The person who wanted to go for it every year? That was Mr. I who was the big boss. After his passing, the Wings stopped "going for it" every year.

I was in favor of signing Krug. I thought he'd be an elite puck mover on our back end and it would be a huge get. I also was 100% fine with not signing him if he wanted a boatload of cash. Like I wouldn't be upset if we have Krug at 7x6.5. I'm not upset about not having him now.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Ken Holland did what Mike Ilitch wanted him to do. Didn't rebuild, because Mike Ilitch refused to rebuild.

Did rebuild instantly after Mike Ilitch died (February 10th 2017). Tatar-trade, as the first bigger move toward futures, happened 2 weeks after the death (February 26th 2017) etc.

Time to move on.

Reactions: 14ari13

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Why sign Turgeon then? especially if no AHL

Because Yzerman doesn't think that they suck and he values having organizational depth. Even if a guy like Dominic Turgeon never gets a regular shot with the Wings, the idea is that he'd be in GR and guys like LGD and crew would have to continue to try to get better or there is a young hungry kid that could be called up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad