Prospect Info: Signed ELC Mar. 21, 2017: Mark Friedman, D , 5'11", 185 lbs., 2014 3rd round pick

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Seeing the depth we have, I would probably do the same thing in his situation.

Get my degree. Pick where I wanted to play. As a RHD, there will be suitors.

This deadline, ED and summer is where I hope to see Hexy REALLY shape the team to what he wants.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
No offense to Nashville and CBJ, but when their college guys skipped out I wasn't exactly surprised. I will be if Friedman does that to the Flyers, even with all our D prospects. The chance to be a 21 year old top 4D on the Phantoms in 17-18 must be quite an appealing offer, not to mention getting the guaranteed money a year early.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
We see guys like Provorov, Sanheim, Morin, and Myers ahead of him, but he may see himself as equal, or even better than those guys. He's on the ice with these guys at development camp. Aside from Provorov, they aren't exactly established NHLers. They are prospects like him. I'm pretty sure Hextall will be selling him on the idea that they only have Gudas as a RH shot defenseman in the NHL and that they lack depth in that area and that he'll be competing with guys like Willcox (who he is probably better than) and Myers, who will just be starting his pro career at the same time. Friedman is good but I don't think he's so good, like a Schultz, that he would be courted by 29 other teams and benefit by delaying the start of his pro career.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Friedman is good but I don't think he's so good, like a Schultz, that he would be courted by 29 other teams and benefit by delaying the start of his pro career.
He's not Schultz-level, but I think he's good enough that most teams would seriously kick the tires on him. Troy Stecher got substantial interest, and Friedman's got more upside. Most teams would be interested in a low-maintenance, moderate upside RHD prospect who they can stash in the AHL for a little while.

That said, I agree, if the Flyers give him an offer this summer, and promise him a core role on the Phantoms next year, I could see him taking it. But if he goes back for his senior year, I'd consider him as good as gone.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If we lost Friedman....we at least got Myers for free to balance it out.

But I hope he joins LV for a long playoff push this Spring.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Something tells me Hextall wont lose Friedman.

Hes greedy when it comes to young defensemen :laugh:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Something tells me Hextall wont lose Friedman.

Hes greedy when it comes to young defensemen :laugh:

I'm sure Friedman has already seen the place, but I expect Hexy to go on a full NCAA-style recruiting offensive, where he shows Friedman the boss facilities at LV and wows him with the weight room (we'll have to make sure Hatcher isn't around to put him off), the cafeteria, the vending machines, etc.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Haven't seen enough of Friedman to say he has more upside than Stecher, but if he does, yes a lot of teams will be interested in him, but I'm not so sure that's the case though.

He doesn't owe the Flyers anything really, but I'm sure there is some level of comfort between him and the organization that ultimately may convince him to sign with the Flyers. I'm actually a little optimistic he will sign when his season is over. We'll know by March in all likelihood.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
No offense to Nashville and CBJ, but when their college guys skipped out I wasn't exactly surprised. I will be if Friedman does that to the Flyers, even with all our D prospects. The chance to be a 21 year old top 4D on the Phantoms in 17-18 must be quite an appealing offer, not to mention getting the guaranteed money a year early.

Pretty much this.

With all the respect for the BJ's current success, the Flyers have always been first class in everything they do and how they treat their players.

No way, Friedman doesn't know :sarcasm:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Bowling Green isn't really good so I don't think we'll have to wait long as far potential time tables go. As I don't think there will be much an extended season for them if at all.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Bowling Green isn't really good so I don't think we'll have to wait long as far potential time tables go. As I don't think there will be much an extended season for them if at all.

Yes, unless they miraculously make the NCAA tournament despite currently being 10-11-2, their last possible game is March 18th.

http://www.bgsufalcons.com/schedule.aspx?path=mhockey

It could be time for him to make a decision and possibly join the Phantoms as early as two months from now.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
We see guys like Provorov, Sanheim, Morin, and Myers ahead of him, but he may see himself as equal, or even better than those guys. He's on the ice with these guys at development camp. Aside from Provorov, they aren't exactly established NHLers. They are prospects like him. I'm pretty sure Hextall will be selling him on the idea that they only have Gudas as a RH shot defenseman in the NHL and that they lack depth in that area and that he'll be competing with guys like Willcox (who he is probably better than) and Myers, who will just be starting his pro career at the same time. Friedman is good but I don't think he's so good, like a Schultz, that he would be courted by 29 other teams and benefit by delaying the start of his pro career.

The Flyers defense is wide open with 3 spots available. That should be the appealing part. On other teams he has to worry about beating out NHLers not prospects. If he is afraid of competing with prospects, how is he going to feel about beating out vets?

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah, I've said it before and Flyguy just said it again, these guys likely don't look at themselves as inferior prospects when they compare themselves to others in the organization.

Friedman isn't sitting there thinking "well they have a lot of guys who are more highly regarded than I am, I shouldn't even try to compete". He's almost certainly confident enough in himself to think "I can earn a spot".

These guys don't look at themselves the way we look at them.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Game winner and +3 tonight in 4-2 victory. Was on ice for all 4 of his sides goals.

After an assist last night.

Has 6g, 11a, 17p, +6 on the year now in 24gp.

Same amount of goals as he had last year in 42 games... and only 6 points off too.

I believe he is tied for 7th in NCAA Dmen scoring right now too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad