Prospect Info: Signed ELC Mar. 21, 2017: Mark Friedman, D , 5'11", 185 lbs., 2014 3rd round pick

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
And where would you like him to play next year if things don't work out? His only other option is the AHL.

After this season? It depends on his progression, but if there isn't much to prove at BG, I'd rather he play an overage season at Windsor or in the AHL. I am a big believer that playing against inferior competition is detrimental in many cases.

Ghost is a little different in that I suspect Friedman gets substantially more minutes earlier in his college years than Gostisbehere did as a Freshman. I could be wrong and perhaps the growth for Friedman comes in the way of opportunity over time.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
After this season? It depends on his progression, but if there isn't much to prove at BG, I'd rather he play an overage season at Windsor or in the AHL. I am a big believer that playing against inferior competition is detrimental in many cases.

Ghost is a little different in that I suspect Friedman gets substantially more minutes earlier in his college years than Gostisbehere did as a Freshman. I could be wrong and perhaps the growth for Friedman comes in the way of opportunity over time.

He can't play an overage season if he doesn't play this year. It's AHL or college.

The Flyers showed this year with Gostisbehere that they won't let a player stagnate if he is dominating the competition. Friedman has a long way to go to get to Gostisbehere's level. And Gostisbehere played a pretty good amount his freshman year. I say he's at least 3 years in college.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I love how one Boston described how we got this pick from Boston:

Without a third-round pick thanks to the Andrej Meszaros trade (fart noise goes here), the Bruins’ next pick came in round four, where they scooped up forward Danton Heinen at 116.

Well...they can't say we did not tell them so...lol

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I like the pick because I feel like if the Flyers are taking a small guy in this round, he must have good hockey sense and ability and only lacking size. I'll take smarts and hockey IQ over size especially in later rounds. Good pick for a 3rd rounder.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Courtesy of DraftBuzz:

86 Mark Friedman Waterloo D
DraftBoard Comment: Great hockey ability, level of play hurts rank as he could challenge ^
Smallish, Canadian USHL defenseman wreaks of a go to player whose only concern is size. BGSU recruit will be going to a club with a decent rolodex of NHL alumni including Rob Blake and Kevin Bieksa. Precise footwork and elite mobility with buttery hands. Knows what he's doing when he gets the puck and is like a 4th forward when his team heads up ice. Plays with a good amount of grit and will hold up to the NCAA game just fine. One of those guys could be great pro prospect if he can gain an inch or two in height.

Friedman was a standout and someone I instantly knew was going to be a top 3 round rank for us when I saw him. Like mentioned he's sturdier than Honka.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Friedman1.jpg

Final Rank: 124 Midterm Rank: 133
Position: Defenseman
Shoots: Right
Height: 5' 10"
Weight: 185
Born: December 25, 1995
Born in: Toronto, ON, CAN
Drafted: 2014: PHI (3rd Round / 86th Overall) Philadelphia Flyers
Commitment: Bowling Green NCAA

Stats: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=138980

---------------------------------------

http://www.nj.com/flyers/index.ssf/...ark_friedman_sure_not_lacking_confidence.html

So, Flyers drafted a Jewish boy born on Christmas Day. Hm,

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Casey Nelson was the other 1st team D-man. He also won the Defensive player of the year award for the conference.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Still playing huge minutes (25+) in all situations. I'm just happy he may be an NHLer and hope he stays another year.

I will be in the area visiting family this weekend. Hoping to find time to make it to one of the Bemidji games.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Update on Friedman, who is on pace to break his career high in points.

http://www.bgsuhockey.com/2016/12/falcons-freshmen-class-for-next-season-taking-shape/

Friedman was a third-round draft pick of the NHL’s Philadelphia Flyers in 2014, while Nell was one of the most sought after goalies last season as an undrafted free agent. Both were first-team All-WCHA picks last season.

If Friedman and Nell turn pro and forego their senior seasons at BG, Bergeron hopes their decisions will come quickly after the season ends.

“I do believe people will either make a play for those players or they won’t, in terms of professional teams,†Bergeron said. “Those two players will address that and put it behind them, either they will sign because it’s in their best interests professionally and hockey-wise, or they won’t.

“I don’t expect it will drag out into the summer. That’s going to be our focus with the (players), that we think you should put this on the front burner, make your decision and move on.â€

If Nell turns pro, goalie Eric Dop will join BG next season. Dop signed his national letter of intent last month. He’s playing for Tri-City in the USHL where he has a 2.55 goals-against and a .912 save percentage in nine games.

If Nell returns for his senior season, Dop will join the Falcons the following season, and BG would look to sign another goalie.

Freshman Ryan Bednard also will return in goal for BG.

If Friedman leaves, the Falcons will bring in another defenseman for next season.

The smooth-skating Friedman is BG’s third-leading scorer this season, totaling 15 points in 21 games. He has five goals and 10 assists. Friedman is an offensive defenseman whose defensive play has steadily improved at BG.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He could take Sanheims spot in LV this year if Sanheim is recalled and after Mark's college season ends.

Wishful thinking.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I can't see why he'd fritter away another year at Bowling Green. It's not an especially good program, and he's been beyond it for a couple seasons.

If he goes back to say he wants to finish out his college career yada yada, then I worry because there's no reason to go back other than to become a free agent because what is best for his career right now is so clearly turning pro.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Yeah, I really hope he doesn't become another Justin Schultz.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I'm curious if the Flyers will sign him or if Friedman will hold off signing and play another season to force free agency.

I like him a lot and hope they sign him. But I wonder if he feels like he's facing a stacked deck of young defensemen in Philly.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
There's no right or wrong imo. However not all kids have the same thought process so it's tough to really know without knowing anything about Friedman on a personal level. A challenge to one kid might not be to another. Everybody's persepective on things are different in life.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
The hype of our defensive pipeline is ample enough to put a guy like Friedman's future opportunities in question but I don't think it truly threatens them in the end. In a hypothetically ideal situation where no trades or busts occur with the "big" prospects, Friedman still figures to instantly pool in with other hopefuls like Hagg, Willcox, The Swedes, etc as a starting point, while looking poised to be able to overcome that group. Our pipeline is so stacked on D but our NHL level is relying very heavily on the blue chip group to break through without major setbacks as the immediate future unfolds. Friedman could join the Phantoms for 17/18 and be in a good position to get NHL time just as soon or sooner than if he were to hold out and go with another team. He should consider himself lucky to be on a team that will hopefully impose a higher standard for our prospects yet sit potentially first in line for a promotion if he can prove it.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I still think he's the best of the prospects not named Sanheim, Myers, & Morin right now. The fact he's a right handed shot really helps him & I think there's a lot more upside there compared to the other in Willcox. He's an undersized skilled defender so he'll undoubtably get the label of being a defensive liability but I don't think that's going to be the case at all. He's short but has a pretty thick build while he logs tough minutes & PK time at BG & has been doing so for a while now. I think he could potentially be a Ryan Ellis type of defender perhaps.

The good thing is we'll know by the spring whether he'll continue to be apart of this organization or not going forward.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Which would suck, but hopefully our fan base won't start assassinating the kid's character if he decided to stay in school and go to free agency. It's his right under the CBA, and he'd be giving up money to do so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad