Prospect Info: Signed ELC Mar. 21, 2017: Mark Friedman, D , 5'11", 185 lbs., 2014 3rd round pick

Tankadelphia

All Hail Ghost Bear
Mar 7, 2014
Tankadelphia
I think Friedman is an attempt to balance out the deep prospect pool, the guys developing in college or abroad:
Vasilyev (Russia)
Wilcox (Notre Dame)
Luukko (Vermont)
Larsson (Sweden)
Amorosa (Providence) - only offensive prospect of the group
David Drake

Holmgren went for more "defensive" defensemen, Friedman adds some mobility to this group, the future 5th - 6th defensemen in 3-4 years.

We lost larsson

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I think Friedman is an attempt to balance out the deep prospect pool, the guys developing in college or abroad:
Vasilyev (Russia)
Wilcox (Notre Dame)
Luukko (Vermont)
Larsson (Sweden)
Amorosa (Providence) - only offensive prospect of the group
David Drake

Holmgren went for more "defensive" defensemen, Friedman adds some mobility to this group, the future 5th - 6th defensemen in 3-4 years.

Also Wilcox goes to Cornell

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
I'm happy that the first 3 picks are all known for great speed. I also really like that we drafted a kid that we have 4 years to decide on.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
May never become an NHLer but if he ever makes it, he may have turned into a dynamic playmaker and point producer to make up for his small frame.. or he turns into another Erik Gustafsson - good enough to play in the NHL but not good enough to stick

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Friedman was 4th among defensemen in scoring in the USHL

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
I think the biggest question here is how much trust there is in Bowling Green to develop Friedman. Pryor's interview seems to indicate a "we'll see how it goes" when asked about that, but depending on how this goes, I can easily envision a Stolarz scenario where Friedman makes his way to the OHL for a season eventually.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The thing with Stolarz is that he was a goaltender who wasn't going to play. If you're recruiting guys who are 3rd round picks, they're going to play. As a coach and recruiter, you've certainly told him that. Especially at a school like that, it's not like he's going to BC, Minnesota, UND, etc. where they'd have a crowded depth chart. If anything, I'd be concerned about the level of competition and teammates he's going to play with. Would love to hear how he ended up at a program like Bowling Green, other teams will pay attention to when he's on the ice as if he's a forward.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
DraftBuzz ranked #86. Deserves every bit of that selection and quite possibly could be a better value pick than Honka for providing the same heady, offensively adept game.

Will update post with scouting info in a bit.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Would love to hear how he ended up at a program like Bowling Green, other teams will pay attention to when he's on the ice as if he's a forward.

Pryor basically said "BG committed to Mark early in the process and Mark wants to keep the pledge to them." I'm sure there is more to the story, but that is at least part of it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Pryor basically said "BG committed to Mark early in the process and Mark wants to keep the pledge to them." I'm sure there is more to the story, but that is at least part of it.

Must have been a hell of a sell, because Bowling Green almost cut the program altogether. That's the school Ralfs Freibergs is at. They have a kid from Collegeville, too.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The thing with Stolarz is that he was a goaltender who wasn't going to play. If you're recruiting guys who are 3rd round picks, they're going to play. As a coach and recruiter, you've certainly told him that. Especially at a school like that, it's not like he's going to BC, Minnesota, UND, etc. where they'd have a crowded depth chart. If anything, I'd be concerned about the level of competition and teammates he's going to play with. Would love to hear how he ended up at a program like Bowling Green, other teams will pay attention to when he's on the ice as if he's a forward.

I agree. The most important development tool is ice time. Hard to develop your game if opportunity is limited. BG has a similar guy in Ralfs Freibergs who probably signs an NHL contract after this year (think there was a rumor he was coming to rookie camp) so there is that.

Profile looks similar to this guy as well:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=37747

ELab2

Apr 9, 2007
Atlantic City
Must have been a hell of a sell, because Bowling Green almost cut the program altogether. That's the school Ralfs Freibergs is at. They have a kid from Collegeville, too.

He more or less explains how he ended up at Bowling Green in this video

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
I agree. The most important development tool is ice time. Hard to develop your game if opportunity is limited.

While this is absolutely true, it maxes out it's value if it's against truly inferior talent. Looking at BG's 2013-2014 schedule, they only played a handful of good programs (imo). I certainly think Friedman is fine for this year, but after that, it'll require some re-evaluation to assess whether growth opportunities still exist. They may, but it warrants watching from an organizational standpoint.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
While this is absolutely true, it maxes out it's value if it's against truly inferior talent. Looking at BG's 2013-2014 schedule, they only played a handful of good programs (imo). I certainly think Friedman is fine for this year, but after that, it'll require some re-evaluation to assess whether growth opportunities still exist. They may, but it warrants watching from an organizational standpoint.

I don't think their schedule is any better or worse than what Gostisbehere played in the ECAC. Sure UAH is a doormat, but Minn St and Ferris St are always good and they have a bunch of middle of the pack schools. It's not Hockey East, but it's nothing to get concerned over either.

And where would you like him to play next year if things don't work out? His only other option is the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad