Prospect Info: Signed ELC Mar. 21, 2017: Mark Friedman, D , 5'11", 185 lbs., 2014 3rd round pick

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I would say Hextall needing to be talked into by others last year to call-up Gostisbehere is more so an example of being overly patient.

I don't really think so...

Ghost had just come back from a major injury that made him miss most of the previous year. I think it made sense for him to start in the AHL and wasn't outlandish to say it could have been possible for him to have benefited from a bit more time in the AHL. I did think it was good he was called up and obviously it worked out very well, but I can see the argument for him being down a bit longer, based on what we knew at the time.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
So making the roster 3 days before the season started is no indication that Hextall was at least weighing the odds of sending Provorov and Konecny back to juniors? Or the fact that he said all camp that he had no problem sending them back to juniors if need be?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
So making the roster 3 days before the season started is no indication that Hextall was at least weighing the odds of sending Provorov and Konecny back to juniors? Or the fact that he said all camp that he had no problem sending them back to juniors if need be?

I think that's more a case of making it clear that they werent locks. If they had bombed in preseason he would have sent them back, but I think he already knew they were ready and was just making sure nothing came up that changed his mind (like seriously bad play or an injury or something like that).

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
3 days before the season is when you make a roster.

Anyway, I looked at Friedman's twitter and he liked a couple of tweets about him signing with the Flyers so that's a good sign.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't really think so...

Ghost had just come back from a major injury that made him miss most of the previous year. I think it made sense for him to start in the AHL and wasn't outlandish to say it could have been possible for him to have benefited from a bit more time in the AHL. I did think it was good he was called up and obviously it worked out very well, but I can see the argument for him being down a bit longer, based on what we knew at the time.

I get he had an injury but between preseason & games with that Phantoms that year it didn't really appear to be much of a factor at that point. He was a 22 year old kid who had three years of college under his belt playing at a high level. Most kids in that position don't need a whole lot of AHL time. He was pretty much their best player in most of those 14 games he spent down in the AHL that year too.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I get he had an injury but between preseason & games with that Phantoms that year it didn't really appear to be much of a factor at that point. He was a 22 year old kid who had three years of college under his belt playing at a high level. Most kids in that position don't need a whole lot of AHL time. He was pretty much their best player in most of those 14 games he spent down in the AHL that year too.

Yeah, and I think that was the point. It wasn't that they sent him down there to teach him how to play, it was more that they wanted to be sure he was fully recovered physically and still had the same speed that he used to. Better to test that in the AHL than NHL, I'd say.

I agree it didn't appear to be much of a factor during the preseason, but I guess they wanted a bigger sample size to be sure. Like I said, I'm happy he was called up when he was and I probably would have kept him on the NHL roster to start the year, but I can understand the logic behind sending him down and erring on the side of caution.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
It was clear from the start especially with Provorov they were going to give him as many chances as possible. He played on back to back nights in the first two games then played most of the games from there out. And he looked like he belonged, and it was clear he wasn't going back.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I would say Hextall needing to be talked into by others last year to call-up Gostisbehere is more so an example of being overly patient.
Actually, AIR, you might be correct. I remember that Alt was going to be the guy that was called up but then he was injured and Hexy was cajoled into bringing up Ghost instead. The GM really wanted Ghost to have a full year in the A. Then, I might be wrong on this.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Yup, that's a myth. During the 14-15 season Ghost got called up by the Flyers and then Alt got hurt that night in an AHL game. Hextall made a comment about watching him 'like a hawk'. He played two games, sat out a couple and then shortly after getting returned to the Phantoms blew his knee out.

Last year he got called up when Streit got hurt and the rest was history. He was too good to send down. If Streit's injury was only short term, who knows what would have happened, but he was out long term and they needed someone to run the 1st PP. Gostisbehere was the only viable candidate.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Short Shorts

Jul 19, 2014
Madhouse on Mercer
Friedman has been an interesting guy to watch the past 3 seasons. His freshman year, he was the best "defensive" defenseman I've ever seen play. He seeming knocked down every pass within 6 feet of him and never, ever let one through on a 2 on 1. Offensively, it was pretty rough. He couldn't quarterback a powerplay at all and only racked up 2 goals the whole season. He was quite a goon, too, with a real attitude problem.

This past year, his offense has been much improved; he's learned how to run a powerplay well and was our second leading defensive scorer. It's seem to come at a cost to his defensive ability, though. He doesn't break up passes as well as he used to, and sometimes makes pretty poor decisions on where to be on the ice. He's gotten a lot better at staying out of the box, though he does still like to push guys and yap at them after whistles.

I've always wondered what would have happened if he'd been put in a more defensive role at BGSU. I think that's where his real strengths lie.

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
Friedman has been an interesting guy to watch the past 3 seasons. His freshman year, he was the best "defensive" defenseman I've ever seen play. He seeming knocked down every pass within 6 feet of him and never, ever let one through on a 2 on 1. Offensively, it was pretty rough. He couldn't quarterback a powerplay at all and only racked up 2 goals the whole season. He was quite a goon, too, with a real attitude problem.

This past year, his offense has been much improved; he's learned how to run a powerplay well and was our second leading defensive scorer. It's seem to come at a cost to his defensive ability, though. He doesn't break up passes as well as he used to, and sometimes makes pretty poor decisions on where to be on the ice. He's gotten a lot better at staying out of the box, though he does still like to push guys and yap at them after whistles.

I've always wondered what would have happened if he'd been put in a more defensive role at BGSU. I think that's where his real strengths lie.

Good post, thanks for sharing. I think his nastiness is often overlooked, 143 pms in 121 gms.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Sounds a lot like Marc-Andre Bourdon for me.

Undersized but feisty defenseman with good offensive numbers in the juniors. I hope his game translates better to the pros.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT

Undersized but feisty defenseman with good offensive numbers in the juniors. I hope his game translates better to the pros.

Bourdon was really a curious case of a prospect whose development stalled in the AHL but all of a sudden found himself on an NHL roster where he was a playoff starter.
And I don't remember a single skill that really separated him from the rest down there, just average at best.

I hope Friedmann has more upside.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
Bourdon was really a curious case of a prospect whose development stalled in the AHL but all of a sudden found himself on an NHL roster where he was a playoff starter.
And I don't remember a single skill that really separated him from the rest down there, just average at best.

I remember bourdon getting injured and never being the same player after coming back I think it was a concussion but I could be wrong he missed an extended amount of time though.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Interesting thoughts, thanks for sharing.

If he's Sanheim's replacement on the Phantoms for 17-18 he's going to get that defensive role. Brennan and O'Neill will still be there to hog most of the PP time, and they don't too much defending.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Interesting thoughts, thanks for sharing.

If he's Sanheim's replacement on the Phantoms for 17-18 he's going to get that defensive role. Brennan and O'Neill will still be there to hog most of the PP time, and they don't too much defending.

And honestly, that's served Sanheim well, if you are talented enough, you'll get your opportunities. Sanheim, from all reports, sounds like he's done very well in that role, plus he still has almost 30 pts this year with very little PP time.

BTW, it also sounds like Sanheim's skating is still elite level, man I can't wait to have of few of those guys on the roster back there. Ghost - Plus Skater, Provorov - Plus Skater, Sanheim - Plus Skater

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

No, Friedman is much more mobile. Bourdon was big, stocky and strong, but very slow and had no lateral mobility. Fantastic hands and hockey sense, but he was Ed Van Impe on skates....

Friedman has the skill to make an NHL career for himself. Let's hope it works out.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I remember bourdon getting injured and never being the same player after coming back I think it was a concussion but I could be wrong he missed an extended amount of time though.

His career ended prematurely due to lingering concussion symptoms, which were a result of him hiding the symptoms to stay on the roster and getting the bell rung over and over again.

But that's not the point. The point is Bourdon had little to offer to an NHL team. He was a Gudas lite type of player with little to no offense and less physicality.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany

I agree with both posts. Perfect summary of Bourdons short stint with the Flyers.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
No, Friedman is much more mobile. Bourdon was big, stocky and strong, but very slow and had no lateral mobility. Fantastic hands and hockey sense, but he was Ed Van Impe on skates....

Friedman has the skill to make an NHL career for himself. Let's hope it works out.

Amen.

Really? Was Bourdon this slow? My bad.

Time for the righties to make the jump to the pros. Friedman and P.Myers, I am looking at you :)

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
And honestly, that's served Sanheim well, if you are talented enough, you'll get your opportunities. Sanheim, from all reports, sounds like he's done very well in that role, plus he still has almost 30 pts this year with very little PP time.

BTW, it also sounds like Sanheim's skating is still elite level, man I can't wait to have of few of those guys on the roster back there. Ghost - Plus Skater, Provorov - Plus Skater, Sanheim - Plus Skater
even morin and Myers are really good skaters for their size. will be so refreshing for Gudas to be the slowest defenseman when he isn't slow at all. the defense is shaping up to be a great mix of speed and physicality.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
even morin and Myers are really good skaters for their size. will be so refreshing for Gudas to be the slowest defenseman when he isn't slow at all. the defense is shaping up to be a great mix of speed and physicality.

They are plus skaters for their size for sure, but Sanheim and Provorov and Ghost are on another level of skating. Ask Appleyard about Sanheim down in the A, if you haven't seen him, he makes those guys look like they are skating in mud.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Myers is an excellent skater as well, he's not putting up a ppg based on shots from the point.

If the Flyers were deeper, Hextall probably would have preferred Ghost spend a full season in the AHL, which was a plan his first season - coming out of college, defensemen aren't ready for the NHL game and you can see that in Ghost's defensive play. Morin admitted that even after a year in the AHL he was still clueless, Sanheim from all reports has made tremendous progress on the defensive end (why he wasn't given offensive responsibilities to start the season they wanted the focus on playing defense).

Just because a guy has the physical skills to play in the NHL doesn't mean they're ready, and Ghost didn't get much coaching on defensive fundamentals in college.

Provorov was an exception, and Myers may be one this year, but Hextall is right to err on the side of caution - fundamentals should be second nature before you call a kid up. Friedman may require two years in the AHL, he has speed, and he's stouter than Ghost, but he's going to have to refine his game like Kimmo, learn how to gain leverage, always have good positioning, because he doesn't have elite physical skills. Kimmo didn't come over until he was 23, and didn't start a full season until he was 25.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad