Prospect Info: Signed ELC Mar. 21, 2017: Mark Friedman, D , 5'11", 185 lbs., 2014 3rd round pick

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
The flyers do have dman openings on the phantoms with 2 moving up to the big club next year hopefully that appeals to him signing his elc

Rick Deckard

Mar 30, 2006
Germany
The flyers do have dman openings on the phantoms with 2 moving up to the big club next year hopefully that appeals to him signing his elc

Right, there should be three open spots in the organization, calculating with seven defensemen per team and one extra.

Flyers [7/7]: MacDonald, Gudas, Gostisbehere, Provorov, Manning, Sanheim, Morin

Phantoms [5/7]: Myers, Hägg, Brennan, O'Neill, Willcox

Royals [0/1]: -

Maybe Amorosa can get a contract too.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Not heard much chatter on MF recently, is he still as highly thought of?

Not much has changed. He's played well and done so in all situations. Really good skater and pretty physical relative to his size. Upside is a #4 who plays PP2 and the PK, with added value due to handedness. They've really asked him to carry his pairing for most of the year. Recently though, he's been playing with Adam Smith, who Nashville drafted very late. Previously spent some time playing with Jacob Dalton (Fr) and Connor McDonald (So), neither of which is much of an offensive threat from what I've seen. I haven't seen them go with the stacked top pairing of Walker-Friedman much if any at all.

Meltzer had an article on the Flyers' website a few days ago too if you're looking for a quick read.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Not much has changed. He's played well and done so in all situations. Really good skater and pretty physical relative to his size. Upside is a #4 who plays PP2 and the PK, with added value due to handedness. They've really asked him to carry his pairing for most of the year. Recently though, he's been playing with Adam Smith, who Nashville drafted very late. Previously spent some time playing with Jacob Dalton (Fr) and Connor McDonald (So), neither of which is much of an offensive threat from what I've seen. I haven't seen them go with the stacked top pairing of Walker-Friedman much if any at all.

Meltzer had an article on the Flyers' website a few days ago too if you're looking for a quick read.

His description reminds me some of Tobias Enstrom. Smallish defensemen that moves his body and the puck well and doesn't necessarily physically struggle with his size limitations.

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
With Bowling Green out, we should know this week if he`s turning pro or returning for his senior season. Phantoms play Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday. Saturday is more likely his first game if he signs.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I wish Bowling Green had won because making the tournament would have been a great way for him to finish up his college career. Now he might feel like he has unfinished business.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yeah, it's when he start's giving his opinions that things go off the rails, e.g. Brennan belongs in the NHL. :laugh:

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
While I'm glad, I'm still shocked. There is a small possibility, only because Hextall is just so stubborn that next year's AHL D could be Morin/Myers/Friedman/Hagg/Sanheim.

Very small, 1 of those guys has to be in the NHL, but even if its 2, that's still half of a talented D core

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
They still have Brennan, O'Neill, & Willcox signed for next year too. Especially with the first two I really doubt Hextall wouldn't promote anybody when there's spots open on the big roster.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It would be kind of hilarious if the Phantoms D next season was:

Brennan-Hagg
Sanheim-Myers
Morin-Friedman
O'Neill-Willcox

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
While I'm glad, I'm still shocked. There is a small possibility, only because Hextall is just so stubborn that next year's AHL D could be Morin/Myers/Friedman/Hagg/Sanheim.

Very small, 1 of those guys has to be in the NHL, but even if its 2, that's still half of a talented D core

Hextall isn't stubborn, what player did he keep down that was obviously ready for the NHL? Konency and Provorov made the team out of juniors based on their pre-season performance. The only other player who stood out was Myers, and he needed more time.

What Hextall won't do is force feed a young player, he wants the player to show he's ready.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Hextall isn't stubborn, what player did he keep down that was obviously ready for the NHL? Konency and Provorov made the team out of juniors based on their pre-season performance. The only other player who stood out was Myers, and he needed more time.

What Hextall won't do is force feed a young player, he wants the player to show he's ready.

Provorov was almost back in juniors this year despite proving to everyone that he was more than ready to make the jump. If the Flyers had even a modicum of depth at forward, Konecny would have been back in juniors despite proving he was ready this preseason.

In other organizations, even ones better than the Flyers, guys like Morin and Myers would probably be in the NHL this year. I think it's a valid concern with Hextall that he favors safer veteran types to more talented younger players.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Provorov was almost back in juniors this year despite proving to everyone that he was more than ready to make the jump. If the Flyers had even a modicum of depth at forward, Konecny would have been back in juniors despite proving he was ready this preseason.

In other organizations, even ones better than the Flyers, guys like Morin and Myers would probably be in the NHL this year. I think it's a valid concern with Hextall that he favors safer veteran types to more talented younger players.

What makes you say that?

They played in preseason, they looked ready, they made the team. Seems to be as simple as that.

If he didn't want them here he could have easily sent them back again. But obviously he did want them here, and here they are. So I'm not sure what's making you think he was overly hesitant, despite his actions suggesting the opposite.

And I'm not just trying to be argumentative, that's a legit question. Was there something you read that made you think that? An interview? Because what I've seen makes me think he's perfectly fine with young guys playing so long as they're good enough. I'm not worried about him letting young guys on the team at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad