Value of: Sidney Crosby

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Crosby the last 18 seasons - PENS 4 LYFE.

Crosby for the first time the Pens aren’t considered a playoff

You have to re-align your expectations for a 37 year old Crosby picking his destination.

Why Colorado or no where? He trains with Mac AND Marchand, you know.
No I do not. Sidney has carried the dog shit pens on his back this year as a 36 year old and is putting up absurd numbers. If he goes to the Avalanche or Florida and stays healthy they 100% become cup favorites

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
i don't think it'll affect his legacy at all, he's been taking discounts his entire career to allow the team to win championships, there might not even be a hockey team in Pitt if it wasn't for him. this fickleness is absurd. if you don't want to give him the respect that's on the ownership/hockey department.

In what possible world should his cap hit exceed McDavid, Makar and Matthews.

No way will he cash in at 20% of the cap. Would leave a horrible taste on his legacy.

Kane is 6th in jersey sales for 2023, Crosby is 4th. Jersey sales aren’t getting the penguins extra 1st rounders, more to the point.

Because Kane literally played for 3 teams last year. If Crosby were to be traded, guess who would be 1st?

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
In what possible world should his cap hit exceed McDavid, Makar and Matthews.

No way will he cash in at 20% of the cap. Would leave a horrible taste on his legacy.

Because Kane literally played for 3 teams last year. If Crosby were to be traded, guess who would be 1st?
Then give him equity like Mario

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Jersey and ticket sales bump from acquiring a hockey legend, dude.

Which is absolutely a factor with Crosby, but not really with Kane.
I hate the f*** out of the Rangers, but I work in NYC 5x a week and you are dead wrong.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I hate the f*** out of the Rangers, but I work in NYC 5x a week and you are dead wrong.
The Rangers are relevant because...how? They had Kane and let him go.

The Kane trade last year is not a good comp for a Crosby trade this summer. Kane was not perceived as the same caliber of player in 2023 as Crosby is now, and Crosby unquestionably moves the needle more in terms of interest levels among the acquiring team's fanbase. As has been pointed out earlier on in this thread, the thing that would depress his value is his ability to name his destination.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Sid hockey value next season - 3 1sts

Sid monetary / ownership value - add plusses to the above.

So a mixture of 1sts and high end prospects no matter how you shake it. I'd love to see him as some teams 1C/2C to just witness his dominance and next-gear playoff mode again....but I would also straight up turn in the fan card if he leaves before a clean sweep of the coaching staff etc. Plus whatever team he goes to probably has young talent that would be completely sick to see him play alongside. Clearly we're incapable of building a roster because somehow 20M in Sid/Letang/Geno forbid us from spending the other 62-67M on something competitive.

• Haha
Reactions: McJedi

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Sid hockey value next season - 3 1sts

Sid monetary / ownership value - add plusses to the above.

So a mixture of 1sts and high end prospects no matter how you shake it. I'd love to see him as some teams 1C/2C to just witness his dominance and next-gear playoff mode again....but I would also straight up turn in the fan card if he leaves before a clean sweep of the coaching staff etc. Plus whatever team he goes to probably has young talent that would be completely sick to see him play alongside. Clearly we're incapable of building a roster because somehow 20M in Sid/Letang/Geno forbid us from spending the other 62-67M on something competitive.
I get that's his value to the Pens, but you're insane if you think that's what a 37 yr old with 1 year to UFA will return, especially one that can pick his destination with an NMC.

As stupid as Dubas is, he'll still work with Crosby to get a trade done if Crosby doesn't wanna re-sign. And the cost, where Crosby can pick his destination, won't be far off what ya'll got for Guentzel

aenesidemus

Nov 15, 2023
I ask this questions because things clearly arent working in Pitt right now and his post TDL interview was depressing to watch.

I cant imagine he’s thrilled with going through another year of this.

With that said, what is the value of a 37 year-old Sid with 1 year left at $8.7mm cap hit?

I also recognize Sid if moved would decide where exactly he gets moved to which will diminish the return.

I imagine he’d want to get out of the east due to his loyalty to the pens. The obvious one to me seems like the Avs.

aenesidemus

Nov 15, 2023
{With that said, what is the value of a 37 year-old Sid with 1 year left at $8.7mm cap hit?}

I can't imagine a situation where Sid would be moved. Next year at 8.7 is an advance on his next contract, which will be properly reasonable for him to end his career as a Penguin.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
If Crosby is allowed to pick his destination, return will be similar to the Giroux trade - 1st + 2nd/3rd + B prospect.

If Crosby is willing to help Pittsburgh get the maximum return, probably in the line of 3 1sts in value.

But I don't think the 2nd option is realistic. Sid will either cement his legacy and retire in Pittsburgh, or he'll pick his destination.

Reactions: wintersej

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Sid isn't going to ditch Malkin and Letang after lobbying them to re-sign long term. I think he's the captain there until he decides to retire

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Is it not pointless to debate this? Vegas is just going to offer Brisson, three 1st. The real debate is will Tampa try to one up that offer with every one of their draft picks for the next 5 years.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I think he retires a Penguin.

Maybe if he still didn't have a cup, he would consider it.

But with him having like 3 cups, i think he just stays with the Penguins and retires with them.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Honestly dont care for him but he's a Pen for life and their fans and organization deserve that. Anything else would be watered down.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I'd love to see him on the Habs, he's a terrible fit in terms of timeline... but having his brains on the PP would get this team back in the playoffs real fast.

It would need to be his call, Montreal can't be outbidding anyone for a 37 year old, but he did grow up as a Habs fan and he might even have had CH pyjamas.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Also Pitt is the name of the university, not the city.
Ffs, that's like the time I went to a Kings @Ducks playoff game as a neutral as I happened to be in the area. Ducks fans started chanting 'Beat LA' and Kings fans were 'this isn't Boston'...implying only Celtics fans may use that chant... pfft, get over yourselves.

Also, Pitt always means Pittsburgh. City, University, what have you. Unless it's for William Pitt or maybe Elaine's boss on Seinfeld.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad