Value of: Sidney Crosby

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Let him come to Montreal. He grew up a Habs fan, his father played for the Habs organization, he can speak French, and he can finally lead the Habs back to glory.

Crosby-Suzuki down the middle would be a lot of fun to watch.

Habs have a nice bunch of defense prospects that could be used, along with draft picks. Let’s make it happen.
I could see Sid agreeing to go to Montreal. They would certainly have the picks, prospects, and players to make it work.

On today's Edmonton/Pittsburgh broadcast (first intermission) Bob Stouffer suggested that the compensation could be the equivalent of 3 first round picks. I know that Dubas thinks that picks are toxic but the package could include prospects, players, or whatever else the two parties can negotiate.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
On today's Edmonton/Pittsburgh broadcast (first intermission) Bob Stouffer suggested that the compensation could be the equivalent of 3 first round picks. I know that Dubas thinks that picks are toxic but the package could include prospects, players, or whatever else the two parties can negotiate.
It would be so much better if it were picks. As a prospect, you wouldn't want to be the "guy who was traded for Crosby." It would follow a prospect in the way it wouldn't to a draft pick.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
It would be so much better if it were picks. As a prospect, you wouldn't want to be the "guy who was traded for Crosby." It would follow a prospect in the way it wouldn't to a draft pick.
I agree. Good point.

But again, Dubas made it clear he doesn't want picks. And when he does acquire picks he wants to attach some of the weirdest, most asinine conditions he can dream up.

Bijelo

Oct 23, 2022
First Flat
Rangers
Islanders
Golden Knights

A six-year deal with one of these NHL teams ideally Rangers by three teams.

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
If...and i think it's still a very big hypothetical stretch of an "if" scenario...Crosby does indeed ask for a trade, i think the "return" will likely be very underwhelming for a player of his caliber. The reason simply being...if he's getting moved, it's probably going to be a situation where he basically picks his spot. That'd kneecap any leverage on the Penguins end.

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
There is no way he will do this.

Being the highest AAV when his best days are behind him would mar his legacy. It would look selfish. I don't see that from him.

But I'll be curious what the contract extension says or if he asks out.
i don't think it'll affect his legacy at all, he's been taking discounts his entire career to allow the team to win championships, there might not even be a hockey team in Pitt if it wasn't for him. this fickleness is absurd. if you don't want to give him the respect that's on the ownership/hockey department.

Bijelo

Oct 23, 2022
First Flat
If...and i think it's still a very big hypothetical stretch of an "if" scenario...Crosby does indeed ask for a trade, i think the "return" will likely be very underwhelming for a player of his caliber. The reason simply being...if he's getting moved, it's probably going to be a situation where he basically picks his spot. That'd kneecap any leverage on the Penguins end.

Crosby want to win more SC trophies and Golden Knights or Rangers would be perfect seat.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
i don't think it'll affect his legacy at all, he's been taking discounts his entire career to allow the team to win championships, there might not even be a hockey team in Pitt if it wasn't for him. this fickleness is absurd. if you don't want to give him the respect that's on the ownership/hockey department.
Sid ain't signing anything that doesn't include the number 87 in it in some capacity. That's the only near certainty when it comes to his contracts.

• Haha
Reactions: Riseonfire

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
I'll be an odd duck dreamer here and suggest Edmonton could be an unusual fit for a short-term, all-in scenario. Next year will be the last year for Draisaitl and Bouchard's bargain contracts, so it's the best time to go swinging for a Cup. The Oilers biggest weakness is defensive play and last year's playoffs also showed they could improve their depth scoring. Crosby adds both in spades and, paired with Perry (they've got proven chemistry), gives the Oilers flexibility to roll two strong lines or split up McD and Drai to roll three balanced scoring lines.

Between a Campbell buyout (saves $2.75M in 24-25) and the extra ~$4M from cap inflation means Edmonton only needs to free up about $2M in cap (letting Foegle walk gets you to about $1M). They don't have any major RFAs in need of a raise, either. Re-sign Perry to be a cheap winger with chemistry for Sid and add a rental top-4 to shore up the blueline (or flip Kane / RNH for one before the season starts).

Do the Oilers have what it takes to win a Crosby trade sweepstakes? Maybe not - especially if you think Edmonton needs to offload Campbell or pay Pittsburgh to retain. Although the Oilers still have their next two firsts and this year's second to play with, I don't think Edmonton's prospect pool is deep enough to compete if other teams are willing to throw around blue chip prospects.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
I could see Sid agreeing to go to Montreal. They would certainly have the picks, prospects, and players to make it work.

I’d bet he doesn’t return to Canada for his last few checks.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
He's still playing very well.
Really up to him to decide what he wants to play for if contending for a Cup is no longer realistic in Pitt. Ovy, even now that Wash is not a contender, has the goal record to chase, so will do that as a Cap.

Sid, is closing in on 1,600 points. Don't think 2K is reachable even if he plays 4 full seasons after this one since it would take him til the year he turns 41.

Does he remain in Pitt to play or is he willing to move on to another team for a chance to compete for the Cup again? That's up to him.
One thing that could motivate Sid is trying to make the 2026 Canadian Olympic team. If he wants to keep playing n Pittsburgh, that could be a motivation factor for him while realizing he no longer has a realistic shot at a Stanley Cup or even the playoffs if he stays in Pittsburgh. However Sid has his own legacy to think about. He takes his fitness very seriously and his game is not based on one particular skill set. His skating strength is edge work, not North/south speed. It will be interesting to see how much longer he plays.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Would love to have Edmonton open the bank and trade for Crosby, only to watch him just retire before the first game.

• Haha
Reactions: Voight

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
This move only happens if Sid initiates. If that's the case it's not going to be an open market. He's going to tell them "trade me to x".

Because of that, the return will not be anywhere near what it would be in a vacuum, and the right thing for the Penguin to do is to grant his request because of what he's meant for the franchise.

This is going to turn out like a house that's "for sale by owner". When that happens, a person looks at what they are selling and expects to recoup all the money, time, and sweat they put into a place. They don't see all the stuff that the potential buyer sees as crap they want to tear out and replace. They usually get less than what they think they should have.

If you think you are getting 3 1st rounders for a 38 year old Crosby, I think you will be very disappointed.

Personally, if I am a contender, I can't take an 8.7 add without something happening. I need you to take back at least that much or hold 50%... If you take cap dumps, I can consider extending Sid for another 2 years, which might get you 2 firsts. Depends on the franchise and of the owner thinks adding Sid puts assets in seats and merch out the door.

The guy has been such a thorn in my side over the years, I gotta admit I am savoring the demise of the Penguins. Ultimately, I can't see him riding out this downward spiral. What you get by moving him is the closure you need to turn the page and move on. After that you can go get returns for Geno and Letang. Admit the Karlsson thing was a bad plan and recoup your losses there.

In the end you need to decide what maximizes your return. In the off season, a team can make some moves but need to fit him in all season. Or you wait and make him the most a
highly anticipated rental player of all time.

Or you just let him get dusty and fade away into history.

Should be fun.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
1. Sullivan gets the boot in the off-season.
2. They won't approach him. It'll be up to him. And no one expects him to initiate it.
3. If the two sides were to come to some sort of arrangement, he'd fetch a lot. Age doesn't matter. His game is still at a high level. His cap hit is reasonable.
4. I still think he retires a Pen, but if he does leave the most likely scenario for me is as a UFA. There will be an "avalanche" of offers.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Would love to have Edmonton open the bank and trade for Crosby, only to watch him just retire before the first game.
Don't think Edmonton would be a desired destination for Sidney. Aka Desharnais' mitch!

Edit: can't believe the b word isn't censored here

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
There's levels to this.

And I think only Crosby and Ovechkin are on the level where business considerations enter the trade calculus, of the last generation anyway.

Here you go, "bro."

Kane is 6th in jersey sales for 2023, Crosby is 4th. Jersey sales aren’t getting the penguins extra 1st rounders, more to the point.

Reactions: Voight

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
You know what watching this game today the Penguins actually look dead. Crosby very well may want out. That would be a full rebuild.

Crosby to Florida: Lundell + 1st and cap dump
Malkin to Boston: Proitas, Lysell and cap dump
Letang to Toronto: 1st and cap dump
Rust to Oilers: 1st and cap dump
Karlsson to Dallas: Steel + 1st

Pens are already unwatchable why not ship everyone worth something and stockpile picks and young guys

You have to re-align your expectations for a 37 year old Crosby picking his destination.

It's clearly Colorado or nowhere but realistically it's nowhere 99.9%

Dude will retire a lifer for the Penguins.

Why Colorado or no where? He trains with Mac AND Marchand, you know.

• Haha
Reactions: LTIR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad