Value of: Sidney Crosby

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
I ask this questions because things clearly arent working in Pitt right now and his post TDL interview was depressing to watch.

I cant imagine he’s thrilled with going through another year of this.

With that said, what is the value of a 37 year-old Sid with 1 year left at $8.7mm cap hit?

I also recognize Sid if moved would decide where exactly he gets moved to which will diminish the return.

I imagine he’d want to get out of the east due to his loyalty to the pens. The obvious one to me seems like the Avs.

Schennanigans

Dec 26, 2008
Etobicoke, on
this isn’t your traditional rental so him becoming a ufa I don’t think diminishes his value as much your average pending ufa. Likely he will get permission to discuss an extension with the new team. It will probably take multiple 1st round picks and prospects.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Sid could just take the thruway 4 hours north and lead the Sabres back to relevance.

What a nice dream.
He basically can pick which team be wants to get a cup.

If he goes to any of

NYR
Vegas
Colorado
Carolina
Florida
Vancouver
Dallas

For starters they all instantly become cup favorites

• Love
Reactions: Bijelo

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i think crosby auctions himself off at the next tdl, but it could happen this summer.

i see dubas absolutely milking the shit out of the media attention and after the guentzel thing i don't look forward to having to read penguin fan breathless takes on his value so i will sit those threads out.

crosby is hard to evaluate objectively because of his mystique and his age. i think people will not be objective in valuing him directly. so i get to his trade value in two steps.

first, i think if crosby wants to go then the pens would trade crosby for ep40 straight across in a heartbeat, and i think that holds true even if ep40 was not extended. i also think the canucks not the pens would be criticized for making that trade. ergo, crosby is worth less than an unextended ep40.

second, we've had a fairly objective discussion on the value of an unextended ep40 recently and even a rumoured trade the canucks were willing to entertain. to me crosby is at best in the same ballpark of value having regard to his age, ability and mystique (and ticket selling ability). he's definitely not worth more.

so go look at those threads starting with the rumoured canes offer. that's the maximum of crosby's value. reality is less.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
It’s all up to Sid. Who knows maybe he wants to retire. Personally, I think he values staying a Penguin his entire career so will not ask for a trade.

Having said that, if he feels disrespected by management maybe asks for a trade. Teams that make sense:

Avs
Canes
Bruins
Florida

Or anywhere that Guentzel goes.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
You know what watching this game today the Penguins actually look dead. Crosby very well may want out. That would be a full rebuild.

Crosby to Florida: Lundell + 1st and cap dump
Malkin to Boston: Proitas, Lysell and cap dump
Letang to Toronto: 1st and cap dump
Rust to Oilers: 1st and cap dump
Karlsson to Dallas: Steel + 1st

Pens are already unwatchable why not ship everyone worth something and stockpile picks and young guys

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
So hard to judge value on Crosby. He is nearing the end of his career and although still playing great, that has to be taken into account.

Does a team really give up a boatload of assets for a couple years max? Just don’t know.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Let him come to Montreal. He grew up a Habs fan, his father played for the Habs organization, he can speak French, and he can finally lead the Habs back to glory.

Crosby-Suzuki down the middle would be a lot of fun to watch.

Habs have a nice bunch of defense prospects that could be used, along with draft picks. Let’s make it happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad