Value of: Sidney Crosby

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Habs offer their 1st(cond), 2nd, 3rd, 4th in 2025 + Harris.

Condition. If top 2, it becomes the calagary protected pick. If both Habs picks are top 2, it's the 2nd overall.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Like trading away Mitts? That really seems stupid and unrealistic. The Avs no longer have this massive hole at 2C. They just filled it.

Replacing Mitts with Crosby isn’t the move we’d make to go for the Cup. That’s like a bizarre sideways move now.
At age 37 Crosby can play wing

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It’s all up to Sid. Who knows maybe he wants to retire. Personally, I think he values staying a Penguin his entire career so will not ask for a trade.
He's still playing very well.
Really up to him to decide what he wants to play for if contending for a Cup is no longer realistic in Pitt. Ovy, even now that Wash is not a contender, has the goal record to chase, so will do that as a Cap.

Sid, is closing in on 1,600 points. Don't think 2K is reachable even if he plays 4 full seasons after this one since it would take him til the year he turns 41.

Does he remain in Pitt to play or is he willing to move on to another team for a chance to compete for the Cup again? That's up to him.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The value sent the penguins way will be lower than what they’d want. I’m sure of that. Late 1st and a decent prospect if I had to guess. Especially if a) Sid wants out, b) he only wants to go to a cup contender and c) there aren’t a lot of high end assets available for those types of teams anyway.

The trade will be about honoring a legend’s wishes and kicking off a rebuild, not getting proper value back.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
The value sent the penguins way will be lower than what they’d want. I’m sure of that. Late 1st and a decent prospect if I had to guess. Especially if a) Sid wants out, b) he only wants to go to a cup contender and c) there aren’t a lot of high end assets available for those types of teams anyway.

The trade will be about honoring a legend’s wishes and kicking off a rebuild, not getting proper value back.

If Crosby asks out, I think they would get more.

Purely because he would be a merchandising and ticket sales bonanza where he goes (if he goes anywhere, which I don't think happens). So I think the Pens would hold some leverage there.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003

I think his value transcends just his on ice contribution. Best player of his generation and even twenty years later he's a top jersey seller.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
If Crosby asks out, I think they would get more.

Purely because he would be a merchandising and ticket sales bonanza where he goes (if he goes anywhere, which I don't think happens). So I think the Pens would hold some leverage there.
Kane got a 2nd back. Extenuating circumstances there with the hip injury and him only wanting NYR but the value was less than what we had hoped.

It’ll be similar for Crosby. Colorado isn’t sending 3 1sts back for him

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It’ll never happen but Sid fits exactly what the Capitals need.

(Yes, I know most teams could use a top five player in the world but I was referring specially to the Caps needing a bonafide 1C so Strome, McMichael, and Lapierre can be slotted accordingly.)

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
It’ll never happen but Sid fits exactly what the Capitals need.

(Yes, I know most teams could use a top five player in the world but I was referring specially to the Caps needing a bonafide 1C so Strome, McMichael, and Lapierre can be slotted accordingly.)
We will give you Malkin too.

Ovechkin-Crosby-Malkin. ;)

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Kane got a 2nd back. Extenuating circumstances there with the hip injury and him only wanting NYR but the value was less than what we had hoped.

It’ll be similar for Crosby. Colorado isn’t sending 3 1sts back for him

I don't think Kane and Crosby are in the same stratosphere of recognition.
Kane also had the accusation in 2015 and the hip injury as you said. Crosby is still considered a top-25ish player in the league.

3 1sts may be a bit high but I would expect maybe 1.5-2x the return for a different 37 year old playing at a still-high level.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
It'll be underwhelming. Pitt would be doing this for Crosby, not necessarily the return.

1st rounder and topish prospect to the team Sid picks.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I don't think Kane and Crosby are in the same stratosphere of recognition.
Kane also had the accusation in 2015 and the hip injury as you said. Crosby is still considered a top-25ish player in the league.

3 1sts may be a bit high but I would expect maybe 1.5-2x the return for a different 37 year old playing at a still-high level.
What does a completely dropped assault accusation have to do with this?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
At age 37 Crosby can play wing
And the Avs have Nuke, Lex and Rantanen on the wings. If they are lucky, they can retain the best bargain in the NHL, Jon Drouin, on another low deal. What they don’t have is much cap space. But they do have very good top six wings.

Sid (playing 2C) is no longer a need for the Avs. Big RHD is though. Can Sid play that?

Crosby no longer fills what was a massive hole in the Avs lineup post Kadri. We just filled that with a play making 200 foot 25 year old.

Crosby to the Avs now no longer makes sense. It’s just a gravy idea today. Before the Byram trade, it would have been a main course. Now it’s not.

If the deal was a screamer for the Avs. Sure. Colton + 2024 1st for Crosby. Why not. But otherwise, no interest. Certainly not for 3 1sts or Ritchie. This is no longer a deal for Avs HAVE to make. Now it’s a luxury. So would need to be on Colorado’s terms.

Look elsewhere if you want value for Crosby and he’d be willing to go there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Linds

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
Sid should be asking for a contract extension this July at max cap % (20%) for 3 years. About $17.5M AAV based on a $87.5M salary cap ceiling.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Sid should be asking for a contract extension this July at max cap % (20%) for 3 years. About $17.5M AAV based on a $87.5M salary cap ceiling.

There is no way he will do this.

Being the highest AAV when his best days are behind him would mar his legacy. It would look selfish. I don't see that from him.

But I'll be curious what the contract extension says or if he asks out.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
And the Avs have Nuke, Lex and Rantanen on the wings. If they are lucky, they can retain the best bargain in the NHL, Jon Drouin, on another low deal. What they don’t have is much cap space. But they do have very good top six wings.

Sid (playing 2C) is no longer a need for the Avs. Big RHD is though. Can Sid play that?

Crosby no longer fills what was a massive hole in the Avs lineup post Kadri. We just filled that with a play making 200 foot 25 year old.

Crosby to the Avs now no longer makes sense. It’s just a gravy idea today. Before the Byram trade, it would have been a main course. Now it’s not.

If the deal was a screamer for the Avs. Sure. Colton + 2024 1st for Crosby. Why not. But otherwise, no interest. Certainly not for 3 1sts or Ritchie.
I'm sure if Crosby wanted to play on the Avs, Crosby would be playing on the Avs.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I'm sure if Crosby wanted to play on the Avs, Crosby would be playing on the Avs.
Could be. He may want to finish his career where it started. I’d fully respect that.

The Avs needed a 2C so bad last week. Today they don’t.

So the Avs interest in a player like Crosby (2C for their purposes) would be very low.

Hence why this OP makes no sense. It doesn’t consider the Avs needs or circumstances.

Byram was my favorite Avs player but even I wouldn’t undo the Mitts trade if I could. The Avs had zero chance of winning a dang thing without a 2C.

Pitt should have entertained the same trade offer if the Avs ever made it. Byram for Crosby. Based on early returns, I don’t see Buffalo sending Byram back to us. They seem excited.

Last edited:
Reactions: 66-30-33

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad