Sidney Crosby...

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
2010 especially. He was leading by a comfortable margin, but lost the Art Ross to injuries. A narrative Penguins fans know much too well.

Sadly, this is the case.

I remember wishing that Mario was born just a few years earlier, so Wayne and him could be compared equally. We all know 99 started out on a stacked team, and broke all of the records. When Mario started to have a good team assembled around him, he came close to those records, but could never remain healthy for a full season, and the competetion became much tougher, with the influx of Europeans. Such is the life of a Pens fan, I guess.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
the guy has been robbed of every scoring title between 07-08 and present... between high ankle sprains, david steckel, and errant oprik slapshots, crosby has been **** on by the hockey gods. according to the fruity ovie fanboys, sid thrusts himself into slapshots and elbows in order to pad his PPG.

i just want the guy to play 70+ games, win the scoring title by a sizable gap, and make those fans cut themselves. :handclap:

I want both players to be awesome. The game is better for it. If Crosby wins the Ross and Ovechkin wins the Rocket all will be right in the hockey universe. :yo:

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
Ah more context.

Yes, I missed that part and was merely responding to the part regarding Ovechkin having a higher PPG. I merely wanted to point out how miniscule that difference was during those year.

In all honesty, I find it hard to argue that any winger would be the best forward in the league in this era. In the days of Richard and Howe, sure, but in this day and age, a center has so many more responsibilities (faceoffs and defensive coverage being the most obvious) that if points are nearly the same, the center is almost always more valuable. As far as this year, Sid has looked good, but to be honest the competition has been pretty poor thus far. He isn't quite at the level he was at pre-concussion, but by mid-season he could get back there, assuming he stays healthy.

SteelFish87*

I want both players to be awesome. The game is better for it. If Crosby wins the Ross and Ovechkin wins the Rocket all will be right in the hockey universe. :yo:

No because OV will undeservedly be given the Hart AGAIN

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
No because OV will undeservedly be given the Hart AGAIN
...or we'll hear how Sid has it easy because Malkins on the team. Then one of those idiot media members will gush over one Sedin or the other.

Those NHL awards are so tainted its not even funny anymore.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
For those that have watched all the Penguins games this year, how does his play so far compare to his play in 10-11? The kid has 17 points already, after only 8 games.

For a guy that is known to be a slow starter to start the season, he's at a pace of 2.13ppg...his numbers look awesome, but on the ice, you can still see him looking for his stride, it's around late November/Early December that Sid kicks into gear and embarrasses players that think they have a shot at the lead.

Hopefully the last couple of years has his eyes open to things around him so he is never sitting for long stretches because of a freak injury.

I hope to hell he keeps up that points per game pace, maybe even ramps it up a little, I would love nothing more than him to have that massive season that shuts up people for good. All the while doing it with the likes of Kunitz and Dupuis as his wingers.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
...or we'll hear how Sid has it easy because Malkins on the team. Then one of those idiot media members will gush over one Sedin or the other.

Those NHL awards are so tainted its not even funny anymore.

You don't need to look any further than who they award the Selke and Norris to, to understand that the NHL Awards and the show have been a long running joke for a very long time now.

I don't care about those individual awards, to be honest, I know these players think it'd be nice, it only matters if they won the Cup, then these individual ones end up being that extra nugget in a 6pc meal.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
2010 especially. He was leading by a comfortable margin, but lost the Art Ross to injuries. A narrative Penguins fans know much too well.

Crosby lead the league in PPG, unless you're saying power play goals?

No, I checked, Ovechkin wasn't near the top in power play goals.

Crosby had the best points-per-game in the NHL in 2010 by a huge margin.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Crosby lead the league in PPG, unless you're saying power play goals?

No, I checked, Ovechkin wasn't near the top in power play goals.

Crosby had the best points-per-game in the NHL in 2010 by a huge margin.

You are not talking about the same year. Overchkin had a higher PPG than Crosby in 2007-2008, 2008-2009 and 2009-2010. Those are clearly the three years he is referring to, which makes 2009-2010 the 2010 he is referring to.

You are looking at when the season started. 2010-2011. He is looking at when the season ended. 2009-2010.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
You are not talking about the same year. Overchkin had a higher PPG than Crosby in 2007-2008, 2008-2009 and 2009-2010. Those are clearly the three years he is referring to, which makes 2009-2010 the 2010 he is referring to.

You are looking at when the season started. 2010-2011. He is looking at when the season ended. 2009-2010.

his methodology is flawed, GOOD SIR. =)

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
So when you talk about winning the Cup, did we win it in the 2008 season or the 2009 season? :p:

I thought you always referred to the season by the year in-which it started.

It's different when it comes to referring to new-year championships. And by different, I mean horribly confusing. NHL needs to start numbering Cup Finals a la the NFL.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I thought you always referred to the season by the year in-which it started.

It's different when it comes to referring to new-year championships. And by different, I mean horribly confusing. NHL needs to start numbering Cup Finals a la the NFL.

It is confusing. Last season happened entirely in 2013. This season so far is all in 2013. Its madness!

Really though, I try to just use both years when talking about this stuff. If I only use one, its typically in reference to the playoffs so I use the end of the season to describe the season. We won the Cup in 2009. So if I had to just use one year, I would say that was the 2009 season. The parts that actually mattered occurred in 2009. But then its weird to call the current season the 2014 season because it isn't 2014 yet.

Either way, when you are arguing with someone about something like this, you should make sure you are talking about the same thing :laugh: Often times when two people are that far off about basic factual data, there is some miss-communication happening.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
It seems like he sees the ice better than ever before. Doesn't need to physically dominate opponents anymore. That's scary for the rest of the league b/c now he won't be as easy to wear down.

In 82 games? 137. I think he'll play stretches of the season at this scoring pace. Then other stretches at something closer to his career ppg.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
He hasn't been "dominant" in the sense that he's been buzzing over the ice and trying to work magic all by himself. Instead he's been playing very smart, positional hockey, has been seeing the ice extremely well, and he's been making it all look VERY easy. He's been sneaking into those open areas in front of the net and banging in those "garbage" goals with aplomb, and he's making all the right passing decisions.

One can just imagine what's gonna happen when he goes into 2nd gear...

BigBadBoris

Apr 3, 2012
He hasn't been "dominant" in the sense that he's been buzzing over the ice and trying to work magic all by himself. Instead he's been playing very smart, positional hockey, has been seeing the ice extremely well, and he's been making it all look VERY easy. He's been sneaking into those open areas in front of the net and banging in those "garbage" goals with aplomb, and he's making all the right passing decisions.

One can just imagine what's gonna happen when he goes into 2nd gear...

I agree with this. It seems like his vision is better than it was pre- concussion but he's not dominating the games like he did then. I'm sure that will come as he hits his stride though.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
It is confusing. Last season happened entirely in 2013. This season so far is all in 2013. Its madness!

Really though, I try to just use both years when talking about this stuff. If I only use one, its typically in reference to the playoffs so I use the end of the season to describe the season. We won the Cup in 2009. So if I had to just use one year, I would say that was the 2009 season. The parts that actually mattered occurred in 2009. But then its weird to call the current season the 2014 season because it isn't 2014 yet.

Either way, when you are arguing with someone about something like this, you should make sure you are talking about the same thing :laugh: Often times when two people are that far off about basic factual data, there is some miss-communication happening.

I do the same, though I tend to refer to last season as just 2013. For my, it's all about the context of the schedule. The preseason was entirely in 2013, so it was the "2013 preseason"; the season spans 2013 and 2014, so it's the "2013-14 season"; the playoffs will be entirely in 2014, so they're the "2014 playoffs".

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I do the same, though I tend to refer to last season as just 2013. For my, it's all about the context of the schedule. The preseason was entirely in 2013, so it was the "2013 preseason"; the season spans 2013 and 2014, so it's the "2013-14 season"; the playoffs will be entirely in 2014, so they're the "2014 playoffs".

well, I'm glad that's settled. Can we sticky this somewhere? :laugh:

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Crosby has never been as dangerous as he was during his 25 game point streak. I watched all that streak that is the best hockey I have every personally seen someone play. (I'm young) was disgusting how good he was during that streak.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
The thing that I think is most important about where Crosby is now is that he's been going to the net for deflections a lot this year. That part of his game went away over the past few seasons (understandably so). He seems really comfortable in the dirty areas right now.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah... believe it or not, looking at the point totals, but Crosby's game is actually very workmanlike, right now. And it really has to be in order to be effective playing with the glorified third liners he's playing with. He absolutely has at least another level in him... which is scary. It would be easier to tease out of him if the team would just BREAK DOWN AND GIVE HIM A REAL LINEMATE OR TWO.

Ahem.

Anyway, that's always been the most impressive thing about Crosby, to me. His ability to adapt to multiple situations and styles of play. His hockey IQ is immense.

Random Oracle

Aug 3, 2005
The thing that I think is most important about where Crosby is now is that he's been going to the net for deflections a lot this year. That part of his game went away over the past few seasons (understandably so). He seems really comfortable in the dirty areas right now.

Agreed, I think this the reason his goal scoring is up so far. I don't think Crosby is at the 2010 level yet, but once he gets into mid-season form and Dupuis and Kunitz find their hands, Crosby might be able to dominate in a similar fashion once again.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
It amazes me how he's able to take passes. If it's in his direction he gets the puck. Then when he gets the puck he just hits that extra gear and blows by the defense.

His ability to dominate the boards & hit passes from any where on the ice is whats helping break out of the pack. Plus his hands in front of the net.

He's built for the way the current NHL is played.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
It amazes me how he's able to take passes. If it's in his direction he gets the puck. Then when he gets the puck he just hits that extra gear and blows by the defense.

His ability to dominate the boards & hit passes from any where on the ice is whats helping break out of the pack. Plus his hands in front of the net.

He's built for the way the current NHL is played.

Crosby can control a pass with one hand better than some players can with two hands. You can whip the puck to Crosby and he will kill the puck with one hand on his stick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad