Sidney Crosby...

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Fleury makes a save, then finally shoots the puck into the empty net for his first career goal then jumps around like he just won another cup with that huge grin on his face. Crosby is too nice of a guy to publicly complain, but he and some other players beat Fleury with bars of soap inside their socks just like in Full Metal Jacket. Brooks Orpik misses Fleury with the soap and hits Crosby in the head, giving him a concussion. He then blames everyone else but himself for Crosby being injured. Fleury cries like a little girl and is finally completely broken mentally, shoots Dan Bylsma. The Penguins sign Henrik Lundqvist, hire Kevin Constantine as head coach. Crosby never plays or eats solid food again, Malkin never scores more than 55 points in a season after that. The Penguins win 4 cups in 6 years as a smothering defensive team.

Not bad, would like that to happen.:hockey:

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Yeah its weird to say but I really can't say he's taken over any games yet this year.

He's been good but Sid still has more to come. He's going to need it once we start playing better defensive teams.

I kind of agree and said it on Saturday, he is raking up points but you could see he isn't even trying that hard yet, ****ing scary when you think about it!!

He's no Ovechkin, but he is doing alright.

He will never be as good as Ovechkin we all know that, now let's just hope he can compete a little with Giroux who seems to be a lot closer to Ovechkin, Gretzky and Mario !!!

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
So does anyone think that the media has an issue with Crosby, much like much of HF does?

2009-10 he was edged by 1 point in scoring by Sedin, but outgoaled him (the Ovechkin argument used against Crosby in other years) 51 to 28, and the media shafted Crosby for the Hart.

Last year obviously the best player in the game by a wide margin, shafted again.

He does have one early in his career, but since it seems that the media has turned on him, and are showing it with their votes.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
So does anyone think that the media has an issue with Crosby, much like much of HF does?

2009-10 he was edged by 1 point in scoring by Sedin, but outgoaled him (the Ovechkin argument used against Crosby in other years) 51 to 28, and the media shafted Crosby for the Hart.

Last year obviously the best player in the game by a wide margin, shafted again.

He does have one early in his career, but since it seems that the media has turned on him, and are showing it with their votes.

No.

Last year he almost won despite missing like a third of the season.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

No, there's just a generation of contrarians in the media.

Rewinding to that Henrik Sedin win you mentioned, he was, by far the weakest candidate that year, but they picked him because he was an underdog. Crosby and OV were supposed to be there, Sedin wasn't, so they went with him.

The next season, Daniel Sedin has basically the same year Henrik did one year prior, but with a Sedin as the reigning Hart winner, a Sedin isn't an underdog anymore, so they give the thing to a new underdog--another guy who's "not supposed to be there"--Corey Perry.

OV winning the Hart last year is the same thing. OV was supposed to be washed up, but has a good season. Once again, they just give it to the perceived underdog. Third time in four years the collective media did this.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Some, to a degree.; whether it's loyalty to another team, ignorance or some hipsteresque bs. They need to raise, or even have, their standards in regards to who can vote, too. That's the main thing. Having a concrete definition that everyone knows would also be helpful, I distinctly remember people arguing about what the damn thing was even for.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Some, to a degree.; whether it's loyalty to another team, ignorance or some hipsteresque bs. They need to raise, or even have, their standards in regards to who can vote, too. That's the main thing. Having a concrete definition that everyone knows would also be helpful, I distinctly remember people arguing about what the damn thing was even for.

There should be something like a 100 person panel of media members that get to vote on awards. Everyone applies to be on the panel and the 100 best candidates are elected to vote on the awards.

We're getting to the point that NHL awards are worthless because of how many idiots vote on them.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
No, there's just a generation of contrarians in the media.

Rewinding to that Henrik Sedin win you mentioned, he was, by far the weakest candidate that year, but they picked him because he was an underdog. Crosby and OV were supposed to be there, Sedin wasn't, so they went with him.

The next season, Daniel Sedin has basically the same year Henrik did one year prior, but with a Sedin as the reigning Hart winner, a Sedin isn't an underdog anymore, so they give the thing to a new underdog--another guy who's "not supposed to be there"--Corey Perry.

OV winning the Hart last year is the same thing. OV was supposed to be washed up, but has a good season. Once again, they just give it to the perceived underdog. Third time in four years the collective media did this.

Good post. Let's not forget though that Ovi really only had 1/2 of a good season. Fortunately for him, it was the 2nd half. Crosby has an outstanding 3/4 of a season, but gets punished for getting hurt at the end of a shortened season. Since Crosby seems to be in runaway mode this season, the question becomes which D or G is going to start getting propped up to epic proportions?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
There should be something like a 100 person panel of media members that get to vote on awards. Everyone applies to be on the panel and the 100 best candidates are elected to vote on the awards.

We're getting to the point that NHL awards are worthless because of how many idiots vote on them.

Agreed. I was thinking they needed, at minimum, a test that needs to be passed in order to vote; and something to remove bias. Limit the number of people who can vote, for God's sake. I like you're idea, though.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Good post. Let's not forget though that Ovi really only had 1/2 of a good season. Fortunately for him, it was the 2nd half. Crosby has an outstanding 3/4 of a season, but gets punished for getting hurt at the end of a shortened season. Since Crosby seems to be in runaway mode this season, the question becomes which D or G is going to start getting propped up to epic proportions?

My first instinct would be Subban. Media really likes this guy. Had to unfollow Jack Todd last year when he accused some Nashville fan of being a racist for daring to suggest PK doesn't play a clean game of hockey (which is, of course, true).

But on second thought, he might be too conventional as a reigning Norris winner.

If Varliamov keeps up his play, my money says he's gonna be the primary competition. Lot of eyes on Colorado with the Roy circus setting the tents up in Denver. And Varly isn't supposed to be MVP material.

Bengui

Jul 24, 2009
I thought you always referred to the season by the year in-which it started.

I'm a couple pages late, but... what's more important, the Stanley cup or October games ? :P
I was indeed talking about the 2009-2010 season, and honestly, I don't remember anyone referring to seasons by the starting year. Ending year makes more sense to me.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'm a couple pages late, but... what's more important, the Stanley cup or October games ? :P
I was indeed talking about the 2009-2010 season, and honestly, I don't remember anyone referring to seasons by the starting year. Ending year makes more sense to me.

What, you don't win the cup in December? :shakehead

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

It's not so much an issue with Sid, as the Canadian contingent of media (voting members) will go out of their way to ovoid the appearance of any national bias and will almost always, if it's close, vote against the Canadian. I call it the Don Cherry effect. Canadian sports journalists cringe at Cherry's national bias and will do anything to not be lumped in with him. So it has to be clearly one-sided and so obvious, otherwise the majority will vote against the Canadian.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad