Sidney Crosby surpassing Alexander Ovechkin in career points watch (UPD: Ovechkin ahead by 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
In that case I will give you $412 if you give me back $426.

The difference is negligible and considering games played Sid actually has more PP production. But he has better overall production too so it doesn't mean much.

But the original claim of OV relying more on PP through their careers is false.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

illpucks

May 26, 2011
The difference is negligible and considering games played Sid actually has more PP production. But he has better overall production too so it doesn't mean much.

But the original claim of OV relying more on PP through their careers is false

Just have to look at how much of Crosby's 2006 Art Ross was from PP points.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Just have to look at how much of Crosby's 2006 Art Ross was from PP points.

Well not really since 426>412 right?

That one season does distort the overall year to year trend though.

Crosby had 61 PPP that season, Ovechkin 37.

So let me rephrase (not that I really need to since 426>412), since the 07-08 Season Ovechkin has relied on the PP more than Crosby, something that is pretty consistent year to year.

not that it really matters much.

Randyne

May 20, 2012
Sure that is one single metric looking at full ESP seasons, does not account for fluctuations in league scoring and PP rates ect...
Like I said looking at the big picture tells us the whole story.
Looking at a partial picture tells us less.
2005-2018 span it is the whole story for now...
Or you think that OV being at #3 and #5 is a fluke and I'm hiding Crosby's second best result at #11? Nope, it's occupied by his teammate Malkin. Crosby's 2nd rank at #14.
NHL.com - Stats

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
2005-2018 span it is the whole story for now...
Or you think that OV being at #3 and #5 is a fluke and I'm hiding Crosby's second best result at #11? Nope, it's occupied by his teammate Malkin. Crosby's 2nd rank at #14.
NHL.com - Stats

It's the whole story on ESP in terms of raw stats yes.

No its not a fluke, its still a single metric that is more benificial to full seasons and also disregards league wide scoring levels.

It's about as relevant, on it's own, as the PPG metric.

The whole picture shows more than snapshots.

kugelbahn

Feb 15, 2018
Surprisingly this isn't really the case.

426 power play points for Ovechkin, 412 power play points for Crosby.
This is actually not correct, 452 PPP for OV, 426 PPP for Crosby,
as of right now hockey-reference is busted, it gives wrong totals.

Reactions: Sam Spade

mrv52

Jan 22, 2004
Matter of time til Sid is like 100+ ahead tbh. In less GP :naughty:
How do you figure?

Since 12-13, Sid has only outscored Ovechkin by 64 points. This cooresponds with Sid finally playing some semblance of a full season.

Sid is not likely to outscore him by "like 100" between now and the end of them playing at the same time.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Matter of time til Sid is like 100+ ahead tbh. In less GP :naughty:
d3dQm6V.gif

NextYear67

Averaging over a like per post
Mar 2, 2018
GTA
How do you figure?

Since 12-13, Sid has only outscored Ovechkin by 64 points. This cooresponds with Sid finally playing some semblance of a full season.

Sid is not likely to outscore him by "like 100" between now and the end of them playing at the same time.
I'm calling it

Randyne

May 20, 2012
Image loaded fine. You're showing us EVP by season. Ovi has a 75 and 73. Crosby has a 72. That's supposed to tell us that Crosby relies on the PP more than Ovi? I legitimately don't understand.
Of course not. It tells that Ovi has better EVP records in their careers that's my point. BTW 73EVP in 9 games less (fewer)...

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This is a weird thread because it'll literally keep going until one or both of them retires before we know the answer.

Even if Sid passes Ovechkin at some point, it'll only last for as long as both keep playing. If Sid retires before Ovi, then Ovi will just retake the lead.

Khomutov

Sep 22, 2015
I can't believe how this thread has devolved into both sides saying the other player scores too much on the power play.

These are the two best offensive players of the generation, of course they're gonna put up a bunch of points on the power play...

The Penguins and Capitals are trying to make teams pay for taking penalties, not boost Sid and Ovi's even-strength points %

Good post. I don't like Crosby but i would never criticize him for being good on the PP. Thats ridiculous.

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
Of course not. It tells that Ovi has better EVP records in their careers that's my point. BTW 73EVP in 9 games less (fewer)...

I think we already knew that Ovi has had the higher of the highs (evidence by all of his individual awards). But he's also had the lower lows (evidence by the fact they are near even in points with the disparity in games played)

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
I don’t get why power play points is a bad thing on hf. Like power plays literally happen in 99%+ more for a team in a game. You are getting a pp consistently throughout a season. So being good at it is pretty important for a players production. But on hf it means ur garbage. 5v5/60 only stat that matters. Everything else means nothing. Everything else is like coin flip win percentage in the nfl. Pure luck

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
That's great in isolation, but I prefer to look at the whole picture, ie their careers.

Crosby in his worst full season of play still had above 82 points, something that Ovechkin has faild to do 3 times now, this season pending.

In fact Crosby in his worst season (when looking in isolation like you are above) has a line of 80-36-49-85 in 2015-2016.

And most of that is due to lower scoring league wide as he was still 3rd in points (ovechkin was 15th)

7th in goals (Ovechkin was 1st)
9th in assists (Ovechkin was tied for 202nd along with 21 other players)
Crosby has 2 seasons worse then that scoring less then 30

Reactions: Hippasus

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
He would....... if he didn't miss 10 games in 2010. P.S. All this talk "shoulda, coulda, woulda" is pointless.

He missed those games because he was reckless back then and got himself suspended. Him missing out on the Hart in 2009-2010 was entirely of his own doing.

Edit: apparently I was wrong. Ovechkin missed 6 games to injury and 4 to suspension. He probably would still have 3 Harts if not for his injuries then (2007-2008, 2008-2009, and 2009-2010).

Last edited:
Reactions: Midnight Judges
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad