Should Todd Bertuzzi been banned for life?

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
When Moore smashed Martin St. Louis from behind head first into the boards, and when he went out of his way to deliver a vicious headshot to Markus Naslund, was anyone here up in arms?

Moore should never have been in the league. He was a garbage player only in the lineup due to how many forwards the avs were missing. He tried to endear himself to the avs by targeting superstar players on the other teams, with hopes of staying in the lineup.

Moore played a dangerous little game, and he unfortunately got burned pretty badly.

Yeah sorry Scotty, this aint it.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
No but the NHL should have suspended Steve Moore for head hunting Naslund.

Using which rule, exactly? The rule that didn't get instituted until six years later after Savard's career was ended by Matt Cooke?

I also question how exactly it was head hunting when it was Moore's hip that made contact with Naslund's face. If Naslund stays on his skates, it's a clean hit.

Reactions: Zippgunn

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Using which rule, exactly? The rule that didn't get instituted until six years later after Savard's career was ended by Matt Cooke?

I also question how exactly it was head hunting when it was Moore's hip that made contact with Naslund's face. If Naslund stays on his skates, it's a clean hit.

A plug going after a superstar? Seriously? More was a journeyman player at best.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
It sure was nasty but didnt he get a very long suspension after that?

It was followed by the lockout, so while he was suspended for over a year, the number of games was relatively low, and he was able to play hockey in another league during the lockout like other players. The NHL found an out where it could punish the act and call it the longest suspension ever, without removing a star from the league.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
It was followed by the lockout, so while he was suspended for over a year, the number of games was relatively low, and he was able to play hockey in another league during the lockout like other players. The NHL found an out where it could punish the act and call it the longest suspension ever, without removing a star from the league.

Ah I see. Thanks.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

He wasn't able to play elsewhere.

On March 11, 2004, the league ruled he would remain suspended for at least the remainder of the Canucks' season, which ultimately cost him the final 13 games of the regular season plus seven playoff games. The Canucks were additionally fined $250,000.[51] While the following NHL season was suspended due to the 2004–05 lockout, Bertuzzi intended to play in Europe, but the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) extended his NHL suspension to cover their jurisdiction.[99] Bertuzzi remained professionally inactive during the 2004–05 season. The IIHF's sanction also kept him from representing Canada in the 2004 and 2005 World Championships, as well as the 2004 World Cup.[100]

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Nope, it was a bad hit and I feel for Moore but Bertuzzi shouldn't have been banned for life for this.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I think the line of thinking is: the action was heinous and deliberate AND it lead to horrendous injury.

You can't suspend someone for swinging their stick and not making contact with a player's head or leaving their feet to make a big hit and missing the player. There has to be an end result.
Sure. That's true. But if someone did what Bertuzzi did and Moore was out for a week, Bertuzzi would have been punished far less.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Should Moore have just skated away from Naslund, rather than making the hockey play? Seriously? I'm guessing the Canucks plugs of those days were going to also stop trying to hit Forsberg and Sakic, right?
He made a hockey play when he knocked the puck away from Naslund prior to making a commitment to the hit.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I've long been a believer that the length of the injury should factor into suspension time.

But that was back when Gary Suter ended Kariya's peak, Ulf Samuelsson ended Cam Neely's peak, and Bryan Marchment was allowed to knee-on-knee every superstar that dared be on the ice with him.

The Bertuzzi incident shouldn't have been the precedence.

There were legitimately players who's sole intent was to injure superstars, and the league did their damnedest to protect those scumbags.

generalshepherd141

Jun 12, 2017
America
Yep, along with Marc Crawford. Both should've been banned forever from the moment it happened. It was a deliberate attack on an opposing player that was illegal and had no place happening in a hockey game.

Carnal

May 29, 2018
Just watched a 15 year anniversary video of the Steve Moore incident and feel like I have stronger feelings on this than I ever have. Bertuzzi crossed the line, committed a violent and premeditated assault that cost Moore a potential career and a quality of life for his remaining years, and got a slap on the wrists. Bertuzzi should have been banned from the NHL for the rest of his life.

Do you agree?
Bertuzzi let up. Most guys would have kept punching that rodent, but big Bert had a heart. 4 games would have been enough, Moore and the Avs goons should have gotten an equal amount for all the shenanigans...

Case closed...

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Nope, shit happens. Everyone feels bad for Moore, he didn't deserve that but it happened and it is what it is.

Bertuzzi was punished with one of the longest suspensions in history and that was that.

Time to move on.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I've long been a believer that the length of the injury should factor into suspension time.

But that was back when Gary Suter ended Kariya's peak, Ulf Samuelsson ended Cam Neely's peak, and Bryan Marchment was allowed to knee-on-knee every superstar that dared be on the ice with him.

The Bertuzzi incident shouldn't have been the precedence.

There were legitimately players who's sole intent was to injure superstars, and the league did their damnedest to protect those scumbags.

and if 4th line plug never plays in the nhl again your system falls to hell. You reference star players in your opinion but if player A was never gonna play 100 games in the NHL anyways then what?

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
You clearly haven't paid attention the conduct of the Canucks fanbase the last decade and a half.

The advice would have been good for the Canucks to take after their hissy fit after the league told him to stow before they decided to hold their little show trial in the second meeting after the hit and the last meeting of the season. It's nothing more than rank hypocrisy for anyone on Bertuzzi's side to say this should be forgiven ot forgotten.

You clearly havent been paying attention to this thread.

Canucks fans for the most part have gotten over it for a while, while Avs fans are bitter af. Think again.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
No, he got a criminal charge and sat out a while, partly due to the lockout.

That and the millions he has to pay out in the Moore setflement are likely enough punishment. He didn't murder anyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad