Should Todd Bertuzzi been banned for life?

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Just watched a 15 year anniversary video of the Steve Moore incident and feel like I have stronger feelings on this than I ever have. Bertuzzi crossed the line, committed a violent and premeditated assault that cost Moore a potential career and a quality of life for his remaining years, and got a slap on the wrists. Bertuzzi should have been banned from the NHL for the rest of his life.

Do you agree?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Just watched a 15 year anniversary video of the Steve Moore incident and feel like I have stronger feelings on this than I ever have. Bertuzzi crossed the line, committed a violent and premeditated assault that cost Moore a potential career and a quality of life for his remaining years, and got a slap on the wrists. Bertuzzi should have been banned from the NHL for the rest of his life.

Do you agree?

Absolutely not.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Good example right here.

The Bertuzzi incident was extraordinary because of the injury, not the action.

How often do you see someone get stalked up the ice and sucker-punched in the side of the head for refusing to engage in a second fight in a game, after having a "bounty" put on his head in response to a clean hit (according to the NHL and the guy he hit)? I've been watching hockey for almost 40 years and have only seen it the one time.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
The result was horrific, but guys have done worse and got nothing.

Care to share some examples of guys who have done worse and got nothing?

Here’s my feeling on the matter. Emotions ran too high. I understand Canucks fans, players and coaches were livid over Moore’s hit. They were also angry there was no penalty called. That’s fair, but it went way too far.

They should have beat the shit out of moore the way Darren McCarty beat the shit out of Claude Lemieux in retaliation for the hit on Draper.

Moore fought Cooke early in the game. End it there. No reason for Bertuzzi to go after him. Also no reason for Moore to be on the ice in a blowout game. Bad move by Granato.

Bertuzzi made a big mistake. He knows it, and had to pay for it. It’s on him. People make bad decisions in life sometimes, but it’s over and he can’t change it.

As for the original question (banned for life) I don’t think it would have happened. He was too high profile a player at the time. I guess I would say I wouldn’t mind if he was since I thought the incident was horrific and the injury to Moore was extremely severe.

It’s a shame it happened. I wish it hadn’t.

Reactions: Nickmo82

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
No. People makes bad decisions, and deserve second chances, and he legit seemed sorry for what he did. Now if he repeated stuff like that and had no remorse, than I would say yes, but that isn't the case as far as I could see.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
How often do you see someone get stalked up the ice and sucker-punched in the side of the head for refusing to engage in a second fight in a game, after having a "bounty" put on his head in response to a clean hit (according to the NHL and the guy he hit)? I've been watching hockey for almost 40 years and have only seen it the one time.

Yea. No bias here whatsoever.

Guess you skipped the entire 80s and 90s.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Players like Ryan Reaves have thrown way more dirty hits, and no one calls for them to be banned. Reaves hasn't done something as bad as the one off Bertuzzi incident, but he has thrown a large number of heavily dirty hits from behind, and not only has no remorse, he seems like he enjoys doing so. Worse part is he is popular with lots of people for some reason. Same with Tom Wilson.

Reactions: Caspian

Dump Itch

Sep 9, 2017
Are we basing the "ban" based on the action or the result? If Moore wasn't injured, would OP still suggest that Bertuzzi be banned? If so, do we ban all players who sucker punch?
If we base the ban due to inability to play after an injury, do we ban all players who "assulted" the player even if its a simple play such as a trip?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hits that would have been considered "clean" in the 90's and early 00's are more dangerous than what Bertuzzi did.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I don't know but before that incident I liked him as a player. Never rooted for him or any team he was on after that.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
No. People makes bad decisions, and deserve second chances, and he legit seemed sorry for what he did. Now if he repeated stuff like that and had no remorse, than I would say yes, but that isn't the case as far as I could see.

By that logic, didn't Steve Moore deserve a second chance after his decision to legally hit Naslund? Or was legally hitting Naslund a bad enough decision that he deserved to have that chance taken from him by Bertuzzi?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
By that logic, didn't Steve Moore deserve a second chance after his decision to legally hit Naslund? Or was legally hitting Naslund a bad enough decision that he deserved to have that chance taken from him by Bertuzzi?

Please elaborate where I suggested Moore didn't deserve asecond chance. For Pete's sake, I even said Bertuzzi made a terrible decision, I wasn't defending what he did in even the slightest way possible.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

Sadly a lot of people felt no sympathy for Moore since they deemed him a scrub. Lucky to even be in the league kind of player is how some people viewed him.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Hits that would have been considered "clean" in the 90's and early 00's are more dangerous than what Bertuzzi did.

You can justify defending him however you want, but whatever rationalization you use doesn't mean that what Bertuzzi did is "ordinary". The entire context of the incident, from the legal hit on Naslund, to the bounty put on his head by Brad May, to the game where nothing happened because Bettman/Campbell were there, to the fact that Bertuzzi tried to force Moore to fight for a second time in the game, to the actual sucker punch from behind, makes it "extraordinary".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad