Should Todd Bertuzzi been banned for life?

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
They should have beat the **** out of moore the way Darren McCarty beat the **** out of Claude Lemieux in retaliation for the hit on Draper.

I mean, other than Lemieux not being seriously hurt and having his career ended, how is that much different?

McCarty suckered Lemieux with a gloved fist while the guy wasn't even engaged in what was going on. Then while Lemieux tried to cover himself, McCarty blasted him in the back of the head, then dragged him to the boards and kneed him in the head/face a couple of times.

The Canucks should've resorted to the "Dipietro's broken face/Comeau whiplash revenge". Win the game 9-3 while calling up and dressing as many goons as possible, go after the teams backup goalie so their enforcer has to jump on the ice and take an automatic 10 game suspension and the coach a fine, a little less gently sucker punch a guy, board a big kid who plays soft and will eventually just be a AAAA AHL lifer, pay a few fines and then sit back and watch the other teams play by play guys and whiny HOF owner make asses of themselves. :laugh::laugh:

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I've always wondered how much of the injury was a result of the half ton of hockey players that piled on top of the guy after the sucker punch.

This, of course, isn't to be taken as a "Bertuzzi did nothing wrong" comment, but more an indictment of all the idiots dog piling on top of a guy who may have just been injured.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Seriously? Punch to the back of the head of an unsuspecting player = punch to the side of the head of an unsuspecting player. Pretty cut and dried. Only thing missing is the dog pile of players on top of Moore that followed.

No. That’s not a punch. He gave him a shove with his open palm and no body weight behind it and Perry sold it.

Bertuzzi legit sucker punched him and knocked him unconscious.

Mido

Dec 10, 2018
Watching that video again, is Moore out cold before he even hits the ice? God damn.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
You clearly havent been paying attention to this thread.

Canucks fans for the most part have gotten over it for a while, while Avs fans are bitter af. Think again.
Yea... no. I'm sure no one would ever accuse me of not paying attention to this issue.

This post facto rationale that "Naslund was never the same" belies that point, which along with the accusations that Moore was faking his injuries

Canucks fans whined constantly especially anytime the court proceedings came up in the news. In fact I'm sure they started more threads on this than anyone.

You start setting bounties swearing, revenge, dragging someone's name through the mud, scapegoating him, refusing to take responsibility and accusing him of being a malingerer you have lost ANY authority to ask forgiveness or weasel out of responsibility.

With the exception of Luc Bourdon the Canucks deserve just about all the misfortune they've had since.

ZzZz

Dec 22, 2017
No. That’s not a punch. He gave him a shove with his open palm and no body weight behind it and Perry sold it.

Bertuzzi legit sucker punched him and knocked him unconscious.

Dishonest post. Not open palm, closed fist and plenty of force, dont know how you can look at that follow through and say there is no weight behind it.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
You've clearly never watched Reaves play. He's been suspended and he doesn't run players from behind.

????????????????????

One of the dirtiest hits from behind, full power hit, the guy is totally unprotected!

Reaves does all kinds of shit like this. High hits, dirty elbows, very little of his game is clean.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Yea... no. I'm sure no one would ever accuse me of not paying attention to this issue.

This post facto rationale that "Naslund was never the same" belies that point, which along with the accusations that Moore was faking his injuries

Canucks fans whined constantly especially anytime the court proceedings came up in the news. In fact I'm sure they started more threads on this than anyone.

You start setting bounties swearing, revenge, dragging someone's name through the mud, scapegoating him, refusing to take responsibility and accusing him of being a malingerer you have lost ANY authority to ask forgiveness or weasel out of responsibility.

With the exception of Luc Bourdon the Canucks deserve just about all the misfortune they've had since.

Obviously you aren't.

Moore was demanding more and more money even after 10 years. He made more than his actual duration of play. "I'm sure they started more threads on this than anyone". Provide proof of this instead of spouting nonsense.

It was unfortunate what happened to Moore as no one wants their career end like that, but he was overall a dirty little weasel and a completely unlikeable bottom six liner. His hits on Naslund and St.Louis was disgraceful and cheap. Going after star players and then fights the smallest player on the team. Little weasel. Obviously you are not bright enough to broaden your own horizon.

Avs fans whined just as badly over Bertuzzi's supplementary punishment and obviously based on this thread, they are not over it, and it's reached to a point that they are arguing with non-Canucks fans. So that's pretty telling.

Canucks deserved the misfortune of losing Rypien too? Get out of here with this trash. Comments like these are exactly why I will never support the avalanche in any way and I hope they will never have further success.

Reactions: nashnaidoo

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
It seems like many minds are already entrenched in the narrative they want to believe, but why don't we all agree that in the future premeditated assault that is if the career ending variety should end in a lifetime ban from the NHL?

Reactions: Brownies

Nucks N Canes

Jun 22, 2011
You can justify defending him however you want, but whatever rationalization you use doesn't mean that what Bertuzzi did is "ordinary". The entire context of the incident, from the legal hit on Naslund, to the bounty put on his head by Brad May, to the game where nothing happened because Bettman/Campbell were there, to the fact that Bertuzzi tried to force Moore to fight for a second time in the game, to the actual sucker punch from behind, makes it "extraordinary".

It only was a legal hit at the time as the NHL was slow to enforce proper safety protocols. Bertuzzi did what most fans call for, it was wrong, selfish and whatever else you want to call it. But man you gotta let it go. Moore made a dirty hit, which is now illegal on the star player for the nucks. Bertuzzi was a hot head and didn't like the fact Moore would only fight someone smaller than himself (Moore) in Cooke. He was penalized both monetarily and by the league. He lost his career over it as he never was the same player afterwards.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Nucks N Canes

Jun 22, 2011
It seems like many minds are already entrenched in the narrative they want to believe, but why don't we all agree that in the future premeditated assault that is if the career ending variety should end in a lifetime ban from the NHL?

Lol if this was the case then you could be the unlucky guy that fights someone and causes a major concussion and be kicked out of the league. This is in no way a rational idea.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I’m not reading through 8 pages so it might have been said but wasn’t the extent of the injury caused by the pile up and not the sucker punch itself? Yeah it was bad, McSorley a couple years prior was worse but a few really ugly plays back then

Mergatroidskittle

Dec 26, 2015
You mean how Moore literally already fought earlier in that game? Is he supposed to fight every canucks player in a gauntlet style?
Actually yeah he shoulda fought any Canuck that challenged him after his hit. He needed to fight someone better than Cooke for sure

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
How often do you see someone get stalked up the ice and sucker-punched in the side of the head for refusing to engage in a second fight in a game, after having a "bounty" put on his head in response to a clean hit (according to the NHL and the guy he hit)? I've been watching hockey for almost 40 years and have only seen it the one time.

If Pierre Turgeon got a broken neck instead of a shoulder injury, should Hunter be banned for life? You're focusing on the result too much.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Skating away would have meant letting Naslund skate unimpeded after the loose puck. Making contact slows Naslund down and gives his teammates an extra few seconds to get to the puck. Had Naslund stayed on his feet, it would have been a completely legal play.
If Moore had made the pokecheck and made more of an interest in playing the puck (which was easy considering Naslund didn't even have the puck at the time) over blowing Naslund up he could have definitely not only impeded him but gotten to the puck first if necessary. You are acting like Moore had no choice on the matter.

And your comparison with the Moore/Naslund hit to a guy "turning at the last second" is completely unfounded. Naslund was reaching and had his head low well before Moore made the commitment to play the body, so it is absolutely on him for making head contact in that situation.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
If Moore had made the pokecheck and made more of an interest in playing the puck (which was easy considering Naslund didn't even have the puck at the time) over blowing Naslund up he could have definitely not only impeded him but gotten to the puck first if necessary. You are acting like Moore had no choice on the matter.

And your comparison with the Moore/Naslund hit to a guy "turning at the last second" is completely unfounded. Naslund was reaching and had his head low well before Moore made the commitment to play the body, so it is absolutely on him for making head contact in that situation.

The goal of hitting somebody is to separate the man from the puck. Naslund put himself in a very vulnerable position, but Moore knew that if he didn't get his guy he would be letting a potential odd man break. Tbh I thought the late jump from Moore was telling that he was actually trying to avoid contact when he realized that Naslund was vulnerable.

Reactions: IWantSakicAsMyGM

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
No, I feel like Bertuzzi had remorse, like he was never the same player after that, I also feel like that dogpile at the end didn't get enough attention, imagine getting KO'd and having a bunch of big athletic dudes falling on you. That can't be good. And although it doesn't matter I will say Moore was a POS, taking runs at players he shouldn't have trying to make a name for himself, his own teammates disliked him, and lets face it he would have turned into another Matt Cooke. Bertuzzi just took out the trash, and in the trash went Bertuzzi's soul as well, both guys lost something after that. I remember a game in the same season where Moore took a run at Martin St Louis, imagine if he took him out St Louis was HUGE for Tampa in that run, that was some of the best skilled hockey I've seen from MSL, I love watching good skilled technical hockey and if you take out the stars of the game what kind of product do you have? I'm glad that POS is out of the game sucks the way it ended I wish it didn't end like that but we can't deny the guy was a POS on the ice.

Edit: Just watching the incident on YouTube, and man looking back the officials and coaches really f***ed up on this one, the entire game the guy was getting into little scuffles with a number of Canuck players , plus he had already fought Cooke the game was what 8-2 at this point? Why still have him on the ice when he's getting picked on the entire game, you just knew something was going to happen, shit I knew something was about to go down just watching the game on tv, why not just alliviate the situation by just benching him? Or a "hey Steve your done for the game things are getting too roudy we gotta make the call" It the officials job to read the situation and make sure the players are safe, it was quite clear the Canucks players weren't backing down at all. This was happening the entire game, it wasn't the Canucks vs the Avalanche, it was the Canucks vs Steve Moore that day, it could have been dealt with in a much safer manner. But that's all hindsight I think the league did learn from it, you see more players being kicked from games now days it seems. The league definitely learned a lesson after this one incident. Just sucks that this incident had to happen for them to make changes.

Last edited:

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
????????????????????

One of the dirtiest hits from behind, full power hit, the guy is totally unprotected!

Reaves does all kinds of **** like this. High hits, dirty elbows, very little of his game is clean.

Like I said. he's been suspended once and doesn't run players from behind. I mean shit he hardly ever been ejected from a game for anything other than fighting. Like twice that I can recall and one of them was rescinded because the NHL deemed it a clean hit. People like you need to come to terms with the fact that hitting hard does not make a player dirty. Doing what Tom f***ing Wilson does makes a player dirty.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
No, I feel like Bertuzzi had remorse, like he was never the same player after that, I also feel like that dogpile at the end didn't get enough attention, imagine getting KO'd and having a bunch of big athletic dudes falling on you. That can't be good. And although it doesn't matter I will say Moore was a POS, taking runs at players he shouldn't have trying to make a name for himself, his own teammates disliked him, and lets face it he would have turned into another Matt Cooke. Bertuzzi just took out the trash, and in the trash went Bertuzzi's soul as well, both guys lost something after that. I remember a game in the same season where Moore took a run at Martin St Louis, imagine if he took him out St Louis was HUGE for Tampa in that run, that was some of the best skilled hockey I've seen from MSL, I love watching good skilled technical hockey and if you take out the stars of the game what kind of product do you have? I'm glad that POS is out of the game sucks the way it ended I wish it didn't end like that but we can't deny the guy was a POS on the ice.

Exactly. Great post.

The dog pile at the end was probably just as much to blame as Bertuzzi’s sucker punch, and Moore was a rat who had it coming to him, honestly. Never like to see a guy suffer that kind of injury, but this guy constantly targeted star players with cheap shots.

Reactions: gopinator09

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Just watched a 15 year anniversary video of the Steve Moore incident and feel like I have stronger feelings on this than I ever have. Bertuzzi crossed the line, committed a violent and premeditated assault that cost Moore a potential career and a quality of life for his remaining years, and got a slap on the wrists. Bertuzzi should have been banned from the NHL for the rest of his life.

Do you agree?
Agreed. You do that on the street you go to jail for 15 years...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad