Should Todd Bertuzzi been banned for life?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Care to share some examples of guys who have done worse and got nothing?

Here’s my feeling on the matter. Emotions ran too high. I understand Canucks fans, players and coaches were livid over Moore’s hit. They were also angry there was no penalty called. That’s fair, but it went way too far.

They should have beat the **** out of moore the way Darren McCarty beat the **** out of Claude Lemieux in retaliation for the hit on Draper.

Moore fought Cooke early in the game. End it there. No reason for Bertuzzi to go after him. Also no reason for Moore to be on the ice in a blowout game. Bad move by Granato.

Bertuzzi made a big mistake. He knows it, and had to pay for it. It’s on him. People make bad decisions in life sometimes, but it’s over and he can’t change it.

As for the original question (banned for life) I don’t think it would have happened. He was too high profile a player at the time. I guess I would say I wouldn’t mind if he was since I thought the incident was horrific and the injury to Moore was extremely severe.

It’s a shame it happened. I wish it hadn’t.

This was what, maybe 3 or 4 years removed from mcsorely clubbing brashear in the head with his stick?

It was a different time, and neither play earned an official lifetime ban. If that was a lifetime offense, then it should have been for both plays IMO.

Coincidentally, both plays happened in GM Place.

Topkatz

Jul 23, 2010
If he should have been banned for life, then so should have Byfuglien.

Don't care for punishing based on the extent of the injury rather than the action

This is missing the part where he drives his head into the ice which is what did the damage. So no not the same thing.

ZzZz

Dec 22, 2017
This is missing the part where he drives his head into the ice which is what did the damage. So no not the same thing.

He was KO'd and fell while todd was still hanging onto his jersey. My point was the action should be punished, not the injury.

Last edited:

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Many sucker punches. Some of them knocked out. Some hurt. What he did when it comes to his punishment it should reflect what he did, not what happened to Moore. Contact sports with fist fights often result in injury. It's what they signed up for. Everyone had seen an NHL game before Moore got hurt, this play happened often in that time frame.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I don't agree with you, but I respect your opinion of defending a guy who committed premeditated aggravated assault on a defenseless player by sucker punching him in the side of the head, breaking three of his vertebrae and ending his NHL career. Thanks again for your opinion.

What does arguing about it change?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad