Should Todd Bertuzzi been banned for life?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
If he should have been banned for life, then so should have Byfuglien.

Don't care for punishing based on the extent of the injury rather than the action

I'm sorry but I just don't see how one could think this is even remotely comparable to the Moore incident.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
Bertuzzi is bottom of the barrel scum, he starts to cry before he even starts his statement & then goes on to say he had "no intention of hurting you" " i dont play the game that way" what a crock, crocodile tears. Guy should have never dressed in another NHL game.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Sadly a lot of people felt no sympathy for Moore since they deemed him a scrub. Lucky to even be in the league kind of player is how some people viewed him.
That had more to do with Moore's reputation than his skill level. He had already earned a cheapshot moniker and many considered this a "when you play with fire..." type situation.

Rangerfans

Oct 12, 2008
No. People makes bad decisions, and deserve second chances, and he legit seemed sorry for what he did. Now if he repeated stuff like that and had no remorse, than I would say yes, but that isn't the case as far as I could see.

No. Apparently if you make one mistake or say something stupid when you were a kid 15 years ago, it means that you are forever “that.”

Seriously, I hate this new way of thinking lol.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
and if 4th line plug never plays in the nhl again your system falls to hell. You reference star players in your opinion but if player A was never gonna play 100 games in the NHL anyways then what?

I didn't say they get a matching suspension to the length of injury.

But I do think severity of the injury should play a role in suspension time.

Don't think who gets injured should factor into it, but aside from this Bertuzzi incident, it would definitely protect more star players than it would 4th liners.

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013
Bertuzzi is bottom of the barrel scum, he starts to cry before he even starts his statement & then goes on to say he had "no intention of hurting you" " i dont play the game that way" what a crock, crocodile tears. Guy should have never dressed in another NHL game.

Yeah what a loser for feeling remorse!!!

Reactions: Elias GOATtersson

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Meh he did his time and is paying out the nose from that lawsuit, showed remorse and didnt have any incidents after the fact. Count me in the camp that doesnt feel that bad about it though because of the type of player Moore was. Obviously I wish it hadnt happened but I just dont feel that bad. If Matt Cooke had his career ended 6 years ago there would be some who didnt feel bad about it as well.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
And then he made another legal hockey play by delivering what would have been a legal hit had Naslund kept his head up and stayed on his skates.
You asked if Moore should have skated away instead of making a hockey play.

I pointed out that he made a hockey play already, and skating away would not have kept him from separating Naslund from the puck, since he was already separated from the puck by that point.

ZzZz

Dec 22, 2017
I'm sorry but I just don't see how one could think this is even remotely comparable to the Moore incident.
Seriously? Punch to the back of the head of an unsuspecting player = punch to the side of the head of an unsuspecting player. Pretty cut and dried. Only thing missing is the dog pile of players on top of Moore that followed.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
The guy wasn’t even injured. No concussion, no stitches, nothing. Can’t believe you still cry about it. :laugh:

First, let's start with the facts:

“I think everybody saw what happened in Game 2 against Toronto” DeBrusk said when asked about his injuries Friday. “From then on, I was battling some things here and there, but nothing that I didn’t think that I could play through. This time of year, it’s just a matter of will.”
He was then asked directly if he was concussed from the hit.
“I mean it was pretty blatant, the play,” DeBrusk said. “That’s all I’m going to really say on it. I mean, I’ve talked about that incident way too much this year and just kind of looking forward and moving past it.”

Second, the proper protocol is to punish the action and the intent, not the injury.

SnizzMitch

Leafs Fan Till I Die
Jan 30, 2016
Eastern, Ontario
First, let's start with the facts:

“I think everybody saw what happened in Game 2 against Toronto” DeBrusk said when asked about his injuries Friday. “From then on, I was battling some things here and there, but nothing that I didn’t think that I could play through. This time of year, it’s just a matter of will.”
He was then asked directly if he was concussed from the hit.
“I mean it was pretty blatant, the play,” DeBrusk said. “That’s all I’m going to really say on it. I mean, I’ve talked about that incident way too much this year and just kind of looking forward and moving past it.”

Second, the proper protocol is to punish the action and the intent, not the injury.
First of all, if he was really concussed from the little crosscheck, he wouldn’t have played 4 f***ing rounds of playoffs hockey afterwards. Also, it’s definitely not the 1st time in the history of hockey that someone got crosschecked in the face, Kadri got what he deserved, and I don’t why the f*** are you comparing this to a sucker punch that ended a man’s career. Oh right, probably because the victim is a Bruins player.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
First of all, if he was really concussed from the little crosscheck, he wouldn’t have played 4 ****ing rounds of playoffs hockey afterwards. Also, it’s definitely not the 1st time in the history of hockey that someone got crosschecked in the face, Kadri got what he deserved, and I don’t why the **** are you comparing this to a sucker punch that ended a man’s career. Oh right, probably because the victim is a Bruins player.

Calm down Tex. It was the dirtiest play in the NHL last year and it shows that the NHL doesn't take blatant cheapshots any more seriously than it did when Bertuzzi did it.

SnizzMitch

Leafs Fan Till I Die
Jan 30, 2016
Eastern, Ontario
Calm down Tex. It was the dirtiest play in the NHL last year and it shows that the NHL doesn't take blatant cheapshots any more seriously than it did when Bertuzzi did it.
The guy got suspended for 5 playoffs game for a little crosscheck that didn’t even hurt the victim a little bit. Todd Bertuzzi literally ended a man’s whole career.

PS: Let’s go Blues

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
You asked if Moore should have skated away instead of making a hockey play.

I pointed out that he made a hockey play already, and skating away would not have kept him from separating Naslund from the puck, since he was already separated from the puck by that point.

Skating away would have meant letting Naslund skate unimpeded after the loose puck. Making contact slows Naslund down and gives his teammates an extra few seconds to get to the puck. Had Naslund stayed on his feet, it would have been a completely legal play.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Skating away would have meant letting Naslund skate unimpeded after the loose puck. Making contact slows Naslund down and gives his teammates an extra few seconds to get to the puck. Had Naslund stayed on his feet, it would have been a completely legal play.

By this logic, I guess every player who ever got hit from behind wouldn't have received a dirty hit, if they had just skated backwards into the boards. Every player that got elbowed I guess should have just moved their head up, then it would have been a legal hit.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Bertuzzi should have gone to jail, 10 years minimum. That's aggravated assault at the very least. Then again so should a lot of other hockey players, before someone brings up the classic counter argument(not that it is one) "but muh, MMA, boxing blabla" I don't consider them sports at all and atleast they all know what they sign up for.
You'd probably go to jail if you gave someone on the street a clean body check. Hockey is not much less violent than MMA or boxing. Given their respective ages, there have probably been more fights in the NHL than in the UFC.

Reactions: qqaz

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Are we basing the "ban" based on the action or the result? If Moore wasn't injured, would OP still suggest that Bertuzzi be banned? If so, do we ban all players who sucker punch?
If we base the ban due to inability to play after an injury, do we ban all players who "assulted" the player even if its a simple play such as a trip?
Well obviously BOTH go into consideration.

Just like the real word, the punishments is worse if it shoot a gun and kill someone rather than shoot a gun and the guy makes a full recovery in a couple months. Is the NHL a fake world where the results don't matter from the action?

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
If you went down that road, about 10% of the league would be banned for life.

Even Crosby has mutilated a finger, and sucker-punched players as a third (fourth) man in, from behind. And he has jumped and beaten up unsuspecting players, even from a Face-off, which tells it was premeditated.

If the guy Crosby jumped in 2007 (or whatever the year was) would have been injured, should Crosby have been banned for life?

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
And with that I also have to say, that even though I wouldn't ban pretty much anyone from the league for life (even Voynov), I would give out pretty hefty suspensions. Even for the first occasions.

Crosby should've gotten some games for the mutilated finger, and sucker-punches. Cooke should've gotten wayy more way earlier.

Bertuzzi should've gotten something around 40-60 games. Or a season.

Would've given something even for Heatley, with his Ferrari and all.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Just watched a 15 year anniversary video of the Steve Moore incident and feel like I have stronger feelings on this than I ever have. Bertuzzi crossed the line, committed a violent and premeditated assault that cost Moore a potential career and a quality of life for his remaining years, and got a slap on the wrists. Bertuzzi should have been banned from the NHL for the rest of his life.

Do you agree?

nope

my comment will piss a lot of people off

I am an oiler fan who bashes the canucks and their fan base on a regular basis.

It was a pay back hit.

here is the Moore hit on Nasland

it was a cheap shot and was an intent to injure

Anyone who thinks Bertuzzi should have be banned then they should agree Moore should be banned--he was never going play the puck--it was a head shot

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
By this logic, I guess every player who ever got hit from behind wouldn't have received a dirty hit, if they had just skated backwards into the boards. Every player that got elbowed I guess should have just moved their head up, then it would have been a legal hit.

Have you ever seen a situation where a guy is going in for a legal hit, but the guy he's hitting turns his back at the last possible second, turning an otherwise legal hit into a hit from behind? Is every one of those hits dirty, or does the person getting hit bear some responsibility for making themselves vulnerable? What about if you're trying to hit someone and he decides to take a knee at the last second? Dirty hit, or is it an unfortunate outcome from an otherwise benign play? As others have said in this thread, shouldn't we judge the action and not the outcome?

Reactions: Weast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad