Should Theo Fleury be in the HOF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Nope. Had the talent and career to belong but the guy's currently a nutjob conspiracy theorist and not someone who should be given a bigger platform.

Yes, blah blah blah bad people with questionable characters in the past were inducted. Times have changed; get over it.

It's the Hockey Hall of Fame. Not the Twitter/Politics/Social Skills Hall of Fame.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
That may be but Fleury is from the Canadian Prairies. Has nothing to do with France or even Quebec for that matter.

The Métis (English: /meɪˈtiː(s)/; French: [metis]) are Indigenous peoples in Western Canada and parts of the United States who are unique in being of mixed Indigenous and European (primarily French) ancestry. In Canada, they are considered a distinct culture, and are one of three groups of Canadian Indigenous peoples referenced in the Constitution.

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I'm surprised he is not. He was a legit weapon. A legit 7 time all star. A guy who scored a point a game in over a 1000 regular season games. He was also a point per game playoff scorer. He did all that at 5 foot 6 inches. I would really like to see him in the HOF. Especially with all he had to overcome.
I can only imagine the type of career he could have had if he had not been haunted by the abuse he endured as a young man. He is borderline. Once he was traded to Colorado he went downhill fast.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I know. I have family in each "group" and I am 100% Canadian. How about you?

upload_2021-6-29_19-57-46.gif

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Wait, Fleury isn't in the HOF? That's disgraceful. One of the best players ever. There are so many mediocre players in the hall and not this guy? Reminder: he was leading the league with something like 70 points in January(!) the year he had to go into the substance abuse program.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I disagree on that. The Hall of Fame is built for that exact thing, that's the FAME part of it. The call of "Henderson has scored for Canada" is as iconic as the entire careers of some of the best players in the league. A guy like Theo Fluery is likely good enough to make the HoF but he lacks the fame part of it, he lacks the memorable aspect to have changed or affected the game in any memorable way.

Being good shouldn't be part of the Hall of Fame, affecting the game should be.

This is a strange take. Literally no one alive would know Paul Henderson's name if it wasn't for his awesome performance against the Soviets. Every hockey fan in the world knows Theodore Fleury's name...for good reason.

I'm a Leaf fan BTW.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Wait, Fleury isn't in the HOF? That's disgraceful. One of the best players ever. There are so many mediocre players in the hall and not this guy? Reminder: he was leading the league with something like 70 points in January(!) the year he had to go into the substance abuse program.

61211859.jpg

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
So that is what todays Hockey HOF is about? A guy does not get in because you disagree with his posts on Twitter despite you believing his career was HOF worthy? His career is not what he should be judged on? People are acting like he murdered somebody. His political leanings should have nothing to do with the Hockey HOF in my opinion.
This is where the woke mob show their true colours. Zero empathy for anyone who doesn't share their politics. Despite Fleury checking off a number of the oppressed boxes: Indigenous, sexual abuse, poverty. Jeez, I wonder how a guy who was terrorized in his formative years might have developed some abnormal coping mechanisms? But ask some people in this thread and he's just a piece of shit. Let's not get it twisted: all of the moral posturing in this thread is just about making themselves feel big. Because here's an opportunity to really challenge themselves to show some empathy for a complicated person and they take a pass. Fleury is a great story who's inspired many. Argue he doesn't belong in the hall because of his on-ice accomplishments, but not because you don't like his politics (I don't either tbh). This isn't the hall of fantastic irreproachable, perfectly moral people.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
The problem is that he played in a really high scoring era. Yes that was a way more rough and tough and physical era and he was a player who played a lot bigger than what he is. I would like to see him get in but am not upset that he is not in.

What I would love would be if the NHL were the same way as the MLB. Players need to have an 80% or higher voter rating with the voters. That means that some years their is only one or two players who get into the MLB HOF. Hockey it is the top five available who get in.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
This is where the woke mob show their true colours. Zero empathy for anyone who doesn't share their politics. Despite Fleury checking off a number of the oppressed boxes: Indigenous, sexual abuse, poverty. Jeez, I wonder how a guy who was terrorized in his formative years might have developed some abnormal coping mechanisms? But ask some people in this thread and he's just a piece of shit. Let's not get it twisted: all of the moral posturing in this thread is just about making themselves feel big. Because here's an opportunity to really challenge themselves to show some empathy for a complicated person and they take a pass. Fleury is a great story who's inspired many. Argue he doesn't belong in the hall because of his on-ice accomplishments, but not because you don't like his politics (I don't either tbh). This isn't the hall of fantastic irreproachable, perfectly moral people.

Those people will always hang themselves over their own self-righteousness.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
This is a strange take. Literally no one alive would know Paul Henderson's name if it wasn't for his awesome performance against the Soviets. Every hockey fan in the world knows Theodore Fleury's name...for good reason.

I'm a Leaf fan BTW.

Every casual fan in Canada knows of the Summit series and of Henderson based on the HNIC opening alone. Most casual fans likely don't know the name Theo Fluery or could tell you anything about him. He was never in the mainstream tier and he never had his golden goal moment. He never reached about the level of really good player into legend.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
He should be based on talent, drive and what he had to overcome but he he keeps shooting himself in the foot. The league is taking drug and mental issues a little bit more serious now but in his time they just wanted problem players to shut up and go away (they still kind of do).

If he kept himself clean and avoided controversy he would probably have his number retired in Calgary right now.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Plenty of good people in the world have been through hell and back. Theo chooses to be how he is.

Spoken like someone who knows very little about life. Just because some bounce back from bad times with greatness, does not make that the standard for the majority of people. Most people would have just given up, not continued to work hard and make the NHL and be a very good player there.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
His size and post-career stuff shouldn't factor for or against him. As a player, I'd have him behind contemporaries Roenick, Brind 'Amour, Turgeon, Elias, Mogilny for forwards. Right in the Keith Tkachuk range.

My Best-Carey

lawrence

May 19, 2012
nope.

part of being a hall of famer includes showing class not acting like a clown or a arrogant pos. this guys does not go in the HOF.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
nope.

part of being a hall of famer includes showing class not acting like a clown or a arrogant pos. this guys does not go in the HOF.
Don’t imagine many HOFrs went through what Theo did as a teenager. I’ve met the guy a few times and even got to play hockey with him between when he retired and his book came out and he was fun to be around and nothing like what his last years of playing days was like. I think he deserves it more than many already in there.

jetsfan91

May 29, 2013
Easily. PPG player, nearly 500 goals, 1000 points? Stanley cup champ, part of the iconic 02 team Canada gold medal team, and PPG player in the playoffs. Who cares about his personal life. The guy has some demons he was sexually abused at a young age. He deserves to be in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad