Should Theo Fleury be in the HOF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I'm surprised he is not. He was a legit weapon. A legit 7 time all star. A guy who scored a point a game in over a 1000 regular season games. He was also a point per game playoff scorer. He did all that at 5 foot 6 inches. I would really like to see him in the HOF. Especially with all he had to overcome.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
For his on ice play? Absolutely. For being suspended for the remaining decent years of his career due to his off ice demons? Nope. I don't think so. And that isn't even considering the weird b.s. he spouts today. That said, he certainly wouldn't be the only guy out there with off ice issues in the HOF.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
I think he should be. His social media activity is likely what keeps him out though whether you think thats fair or not.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
like more NHLers than i'd like to admit, you probably do not want to know what goes on in this guy's head. i thoroughly regret visiting his twitter last week after sheldon kennedy made comments about the blackhawks situation to see if theo had said something too.

that said, he 100% should be in the hall of fame. he was a top ten memorable player of his era and you can't tell the story of the NHL from the gretzky trade to the 2005 lockout without him. just a hugely hugely important player and person.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I don't remember a single memorable moment from his career. He wasn't a top 5 player in the league at his time. I don't see how he built the game of hockey, I don't see his time as an NHLer as a career that changed the game in any way.

I'd vote no.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'd put him in, though I also don't think he's a glaring omission. In terms of ability he's worthy, in terms of career probably just on the outside, but in terms of being memorable and significant, while also being great at hockey, he easily makes the grade.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
There's not enough sympathy for Theo. I disagree with most of everything he says, but it's also important to look into his background. Both of his parents were substance abusers. His is Metis and his grandmother is Cree. He grew up in extreme poverty and was subject to racism. This was exactly the kind of people monsters like Graham James preyed upon.

The issues with Theo's career being cut short are also exaggerated. He was 35 when his NHL career ended, and he'd played over 1000 games. Sure, he probably would have played in a reduced role for a few more years, if not for his substance abuse problems. Once again, a large part of that was outside of his control due to his background.

All that being said, I loved Fleury growing up, but his on ice accomplishments are borderline at best for the Hall.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don't remember a single memorable moment from his career. He wasn't a top 5 player in the league at his time. I don't see how he built the game of hockey, I don't see his time as an NHLer as a career that changed the game in any way.

I'd vote no.
If this was a criteria, over half of the HOF wouldn't be in there.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Despite playing for the flames he never befriended Lanny Mcdonald. That's why he's not in.

you could even make the argument that rookie fleury being called up from the minors and sticking in the lineup for good is why the flames' co-captains, lanny and jim peplinski, had to basically share a roster spot in the finals.

Reactions: NickyFotiu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad